Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

42mm gravel tire recommendation

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 04:07 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

Wifey is hankering for a softer gravel tire, and one with good grip. Bike is a Litespeed Ultimate G, wheelset is Stans Grail MK3 with Panaracer Gravelking SK 700x38 tires. According to Litespeed specs max tire width the bike will allow is 43mm. Most of our gravel rides are half pavement and half gravel. We're up in the Truckee area and some of the roads are rocky. Any recommendations for a 42-43mm tire that can be run at low pressure, e.g. 25psi?

I'm thinking of the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 42mm. I ride Challenge Getaway 40mm and love them but she thinks she needs something wider.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-10-23, 07:41 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If you're wanting to go 42mm I'll venture a guess that you'll also want something with good bite. If this is true I don't know that the Pathfinder will be knobby enough for you.
Old 06-10-23, 07:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Gravelking SK comes in 700x43. I imagine it will be grippier and slightly slower than Specialized Pathfinder Pro. And Gravelking SS looks less grippy but faster.
Old 06-10-23, 08:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Gravel is such a diverse range of terrain that it is hard to make a recommendation without more detail.

My only caution is that the actual width of a tire may be wider than its nominal width when it is mounted on a wider wheel, so a tire that is the stated maximum width for a given frame may actually be a borderline fit, especially knobby gravel tires.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-10-23, 10:28 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
I ride on some Panaracer Paselas, great for both road and gravel.

Trial built
Old 06-11-23, 05:31 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Soma Cazaderos are great. I ran the 700x50, but there's a 700x43 as well.
Old 06-11-23, 06:10 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
The Pathfinder Pro seems to be a popular tire at the bigger gravel races. I use them in a 38mm and find them to be a good all-around tire. While not very "knobby," I suspect they'll handle the rougher stuff as well as the GK SK's she is using now.

Just watch the width. My 38s actually measure at 40, but that is with a 24mm rim (inside width). The Grails are only 20.3mm inside width, so you might be okay with a 42mm tire. But actual width is always a crap shoot.
Old 06-11-23, 11:16 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I believe the 42mm S Works Pathfinder runs a tad small - maybe around 41 mm ? - not sure ... ( have a pair but have not mounted them )

Terra Speed 45mm might be an option ? good chance they run small (around 43 mm ?) if similar to the 35 and 40mm sizes

planned 25 psi seems very low - ? - but whatever ... ? ...
Old 06-11-23, 07:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
She has 38mm GKs...if they are good enough, just get the 43mm version.
Old 06-12-23, 02:37 PM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Any opinions pro or con on WTB Resolute TCS? Puncture resistance?

Thanks
Old 06-12-23, 03:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
700C X 42 Hurricane Ridge or 700C X 44 Manastash Ridge (Rene Herse. Get the widest you can cram in).

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 06-12-23 at 09:04 PM. Reason: got rid of the H2 tags
Old 06-13-23, 04:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by dstke

Thanks
They now also come in a SG2 version, which has a puncture resistant layer.

I've run the standard TCS version for many years, and they come in wide: on 19mm ID rims, mine usually balloon out to about 44mm. They're great tires if your frame can accommodate them.
Old 06-14-23, 06:59 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts

Thanks
I don't know the Resolute, but I have a set of WTB Venture 47mm that are really nice. They roll surprisingly smoothly on pavement but still have good bite and toughness for gravel (LA area, so mostly loose dry conditions). However, I have a pair of Schwalbe Thunder Burts sitting in a box that would be better for all dirt rides. In any event, the WTBs have been very durable so far.
Old 06-17-23, 12:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Hi,

Wifey is hankering for a softer gravel tire, and one with good grip. Bike is a Litespeed Ultimate G, wheelset is Stans Grail MK3 with Panaracer Gravelking SK 700x38 tires. According to Litespeed specs max tire width the bike will allow is 43mm. Most of our gravel rides are half pavement and half gravel. We're up in the Truckee area and some of the roads are rocky. Any recommendations for a 42-43mm tire that can be run at low pressure, e.g. 25psi?

I'm thinking of the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 42mm. I ride Challenge Getaway 40mm and love them but she thinks she needs something wider.

Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like a job for Ultradynamico Rosé 42mm. I run these when I want a little extra bite and I really like them. It’s mostly hardpack dirt road around here, but winter/spring things get slidey making cornering bite appreciated, but heavy knobs are never needed and having fast-rolling is more important (as with pavement) so I’m happy with these.

https://ultradynamico.com/products/rose-race
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-23-23, 01:03 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Agree with the suggestion of the Ultradynamico Rose`. I've been running a set of the race series for a few hundred miles of gravel, love them so far. They were excellent in a race that featured about 50% mmr roads, and the rest were loose/sandy/deep. Was glad I had them on the front, but kind of wished I'd run them on the rear too....perhaps I would have had better traction on the rear if I'd gone with a little lower psi on the cave` I was running there.

I've also been happy running the RH Hurricanes. Plenty of traction, no real issues when running the standard casing. If not a lot of bite needed, but wanting extra cush, I thought the WTB horizon's I initially ran (in 650 x 47) were very plush, and rolled nicely on pavement. Not a ton of help when I was riding in loose/sandy, though I didn't ever completely washout, so perhaps that little bit of file tread on the sides was indeed functional.
Old 06-23-23, 02:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts

Thanks
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...s-wtb-resolute

Take this comparison for what its worth...which is some good background and testing but not the be all end all final say.

I had Resolute tires on my current gravel bike a few years ago and started out loving them. They felt fast and gripped great.
...then cuts happened. Then pulling the tires to patch from the inside happened. The the tires not seating. Then they finally mounted and cuts happened happened multiple times in the following months.
The sidewalls- oh my gosh the weeping sidewalls. Those things were like paper that kids make at history camp- just thin and nearly transparent. They absorbed so much sealant to even seal the first time. It was always easy to see when a sidewall cut had happened because the tan sidewall was darker than the rest. It was a regular occurance.

I moved to Panaracer GK SS in 43mm and have been happy. They are a pain to mount on my wheels, but they are faster rolling and have been more reliable than the Resolutes. And they cost 50% less(multiple purchases now thru a couple years). Ends up I dont need much tread for riding gravel and mixed surface routes around me.

Since I am always curious, I think my next tires will be Continental Terra Speed 45. I have seen multiple reviews that they measure narrower than 45 and they roll faster than my current tires. If I do change, itll be straight curiosity and not because I feel like something is actually lacking on my current tires.

Back to the Resolute tires- shortly after I tossed mine, WTB came out with their improved SG3 version, but they didnt(and perhaps still dont?) offer it in tanwall. The SG2 specifically helps retain air and reduces cuts...the two things that I disliked.
Old 06-23-23, 03:33 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
WTB Raddler 700x44 if you need more bite
Old 06-29-23, 08:05 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...s-wtb-resolute

...WTB came out with their improved SG3 version, but they didnt(and perhaps still dont?) offer it in tanwall. The SG2 specifically helps retain air and reduces cuts...the two things that I disliked.
I have ridden Resolutes for about 5 years now and I agree. Mostly trails but also on the road My friend recently bought me the SG2s after watching and waiting for me to plug cuts in the original leaky tan wall versions, a problem that got worse with every new set I bought. It was sad to say good bye to the pretty tan walls but for rough and rocky trails the SG2s are so far leak free and cut free.

edit: I'm also on Stan's Grail MkIIIs

Last edited by Bingod; 06-29-23 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 01:18 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
The Pathfinder Pro seems to be a popular tire at the bigger gravel races. I use them in a 38mm and find them to be a good all-around tire. While not very "knobby," I suspect they'll handle the rougher stuff as well as the GK SK's she is using now.

Just watch the width. My 38s actually measure at 40, but that is with a 24mm rim (inside width). The Grails are only 20.3mm inside width, so you might be okay with a 42mm tire. But actual width is always a crap shoot.
OP, Pathfinder Pros are a good tire although a bit heavy and not particularly lively. They are a popular race tire because of their very good puncture resistance and that they are adequate in other areas of performance. They are also very durable.

My preference over the Pathfinders are the Pirelli Cinturato H. They only come in a 40mm width, but they are a fast riding / very comfortable and versatile tire. BTW, I'm in Northern Utah and I would guess that we ride similar conditions. Mud only occasionally.
Old 07-01-23, 04:18 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
S Works Pathfinder is the Pathfinder to get if you desire to go down the Pathfinder path (bad pun intended) or similar

S Works version is significantly lighter and probably rolls better

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...finder-s-works
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-06-23, 12:28 PM
tofudog415

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden a bunch in the Truckee area, and I felt like semi-slick tires didn't work as well for me. I ride on paved roads and green/blue singletrack trails, and the very dry conditions, loose corners, and rocky terrain didn't agree with my 700C x 38mm Vittoria Terreno Dry and Zero combo. The Zero back tire in particular often broke traction. I had a much better experience on 700C x 43mm Gravelking SKs and 700C x 40mm WTB Nanos, both of which have more tread to prevent slipping. Right now I'm on 650B x 47mm Maxxis Ramblers that also work quite well in these conditions.
Old 08-09-23, 09:19 AM
deepsun

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just bought some 700x42 Teravail Cannonballs, which are on sale at REI for $50. Switching from Teravail Washburns and looking forward to ditching the center slick for a bit more confidence.
Old 08-14-23, 09:19 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Ultra Dynamico is where you want to look.
Old 08-19-23, 06:10 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
When I get back to the States I am looking to try some Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads.
​​
Old 08-21-23, 08:11 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I ride on some Panaracer Paselas, great for both road and gravel.

Trial built
What is that rear rack setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.