Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

If you could have one set of tires...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

If you could have one set of tires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 02:30 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
I'm riding Teravail Rampart 700x32 on narrow rims, so they measure 30mm. I can go anywhere on a road map, not necessarily completely comfortably. If it's rough enough that I want knobs that's MTB territory. Any one set of tires I would run 35-38mm slicks, assuming I had the rims to make them work. 16mm rims with 32mm tires is pushing it.
Old 09-27-23, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
One set of tires for a gravel bike? Same as already answered above- they would be what I have now- 43mm wide Gravel King SS. They are comfortable on all gravel roads around me, they offer good enough traction on gravel 99% of the time, and they roll relatively quickly on pavement. Conti Terra Speed 45mm will be my next tire, just because I want to try something different and see if I like/dislike it. That is also a tire with volume, minimal tread, and is relatively quick rolling.

One set of tires for all my riding regardless of where? Well I guess I would look for a 38mm slick that rolls fast.
Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HTLR 40 that measures 38mm actual?
Schwalbe G-One RS Super Race 40 that measures 37mm actual?
Continental Terra Speed TR45 that measures 43mm actual?

One of those.
The Conti Terra Speed TR45 is really tempting. Kinda want to buy some for fall riding even though my GK SS tires have plenty of life left.
Old 09-27-23, 10:05 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
One set of tires for a gravel bike? Same as already answered above- they would be what I have now- 43mm wide Gravel King SS. They are comfortable on all gravel roads around me, they offer good enough traction on gravel 99% of the time, and they roll relatively quickly on pavement. Conti Terra Speed 45mm will be my next tire, just because I want to try something different and see if I like/dislike it. That is also a tire with volume, minimal tread, and is relatively quick rolling.
I am riding on GK SK 38 now, and after 3 tires, I will try Conti Terr Speed 40 too.
Old 09-27-23, 10:36 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I know I'm too far to the edge of the bell curve, but I'm using 34mm Schwalbe Pro1, measuring at 38mm on wide rims. Fat and happy.

Traction isn't really from tread design - I manage mine through tire pressure.

Road racing & Crits (20-30mph no incline (faster in sprints)) 40F/60R
Gravel racing 27F/40R.

If its wet/greasy (cross country MTB or Cyclocross) I can use 40mm Conti Terraspeed. Those things wear fast on pavement though.
Old 09-27-23, 05:13 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I rather like my Schwalbe Big Apples. 700cx50mm

I'm fond of 50c Big Apples as well for all around. Though I've ridden 32c Gatorskins and GP5000's on gravel as well.

Old 10-12-23, 10:36 AM
BtheChemist
Daily Cyclist

Bikes: 2022 Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 5 Ti, 2016 Niner RLT9 Steel, 2017 Scott Big Jon, Ican carbon Basket town bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best Gravel tire I've found is...

Pirelli Cinturnato M gravel tire.

It has densely packed treads in the middle for good speed.
knobby sides for lots of grip
Great for all gravel, pretty good in sand and mud.

I just switched from 45mm to 50mm as I upgraded my frame to a Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 5 Ti.
This bike actually clears up to 54mm and 650x2.4" I have a set of 650 wheels with the bike right now with schwalbe nobby nic and hans dampf tires. This thing is shreddy asf.
Old 10-12-23, 04:17 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
End of the world set of tires,

Donnelley x'plor Mso 700x50. A nice mix of size and middle ground and dependability and toughness. But for now, I wish they would make a version that was a lot lighter.