Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Lights and replacement batteries cost

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 08:38 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I'm a frequent user of Niterider bike lights. These lights have served me well over the past 2 years on my pre-dawn rides. I recently had a Lumina 700 model headlight that wouldn't charge due to a dead battery and a Solas 100 tail light that did the same. The replacement batteries for the Niterider brand are over half the cost (with shipping) of a new light from Amazon. Why even bother with replacement batteries? Just buy a new damn light. It's a shame the batteries cost so much. If the batteries were $5 a piece, it could be justified.

New Lumina 900 boost from Amazon: $52.41
New Lumina replacement battery (without shipping): $24.99

Old 05-31-18, 08:55 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
That's how they get you for sure. But if lights still alright still better just to buy batteries than waste resources.

Old 05-31-18, 08:58 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If you buy the cells yourself, and are even somewhat competent mechanically (three screws and some kapton tape), high quality Panasonic cells can be had for under $10. Of course, Night Rider will actually test your light if it goes back to them, so weigh your abilities to diagnose other issues that may be battery related vs. electronic (charging circuitry, switches, etc...).

$25 is quite reasonable, given that, but as I said, the cells aren't even that expensive if you buy them your self.
Old 05-31-18, 09:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I'm a frequent user of Niterider bike lights. These lights have served me well over the past 2 years on my pre-dawn rides. I recently had a Lumina 700 model headlight that wouldn't charge due to a dead battery and a Solas 100 tail light that did the same. The replacement batteries for the Niterider brand are over half the cost (with shipping) of a new light from Amazon. Why even bother with replacement batteries? Just buy a new damn light. It's a shame the batteries cost so much. If the batteries were $5 a piece, it could be justified.

New Lumina 900 boost from Amazon: $52.41
New Lumina replacement battery (without shipping): $24.99

The batteries are where all the cost and technology is.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Old 05-31-18, 09:25 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Originally Posted by Kapusta

It doesn't sound reasonable to me. 2 replacement batteries cost more than a new light with a new battery.
Old 05-31-18, 09:28 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The other option is to get a light that runs off of common, easily replaceable cells like 14500 or 18650 lithium or standard AA size NiMH. I had a NiteCore flashlight that worked great as a headlight for a few years that ran off of 18650s. If I ever needed to replace one, I just went to Fry's. The only reason I replaced it is because I wanted something smaller, with a USB port, that was ANT+ compatible, so I got a Garmin. Has torx screws on the front of it, my guess would be that there's a 18650 inside it as well.
Old 05-31-18, 09:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

It doesn't sound reasonable to me. 2 replacement batteries cost more than a new light with a new battery.

There are basically two parts to a bike light set: the battery and the light. The battery is the more expensive part (if it is a good one, which NRs are). So why WOULDN’T it cost more than half the cost of a light set?

Old 05-31-18, 09:46 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

There ate basically two parts to a bike light set: the battery and the light. The battery is the more expensive part (if it is a good one, which NRs are). So why WOULDN’T it cost more than half the cost of a light set?
OK then. You buy new batteries. I'll buy new lights.
Old 05-31-18, 09:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I will add this to the long list of reasons why the B&M Ixon IQ Premium is the best battery powered headlight.
Old 05-31-18, 10:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

OK then. You buy new batteries. I'll buy new lights.
Buy whatever you want, just don’t complain about the realities of what things reasonably cost.

If good batteries for that light only cost $5 then the light set would have been a whole lot less to start with.

If you think $5 is a reasonable cost, then go buy a $5 battery and see how that goes. You don’t have to use NR batteries, just get one with the right voltage.
Old 05-31-18, 10:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

It is your choice: spend $25 and have a working set of lights, or spend $50 and have a working set of lights plus an extra light that you can’t use.
Old 05-31-18, 10:39 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The NiteRider website doesn't have a lot of detail on the battery other than it is a Li-Ion unit (guaranteed for a year). You may be able to rebuild the battery pack with new individual cells, but that's a bit of work to save maybe $10.

I do a lot of riding in the dark hours and decided years ago to invest in a dyno hub and good lighting. Bright and reliable and takes away the worry about charging, battery replacement, etc.
Old 05-31-18, 10:40 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

If you open it up you'll probably find they're just £5 ..... 18650's inside.

This is the reason I never buy USB chargeable lights as they have you over a barrel but just get a decent quality torch that takes rechargeable batteries instead, the other advantage is take a spare battery with you and if the one in the torch runs out just swap it over and continue your ride
Old 05-31-18, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
It's your money, but if you keep buying a new light instead of a new battery each time a battery will no longer charge just because you feel batteries are relatively overpriced you are going to come out behind.
Old 05-31-18, 11:53 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
snip
I do a lot of riding in the dark hours and decided years ago to invest in a dyno hub and good lighting. Bright and reliable and takes away the worry about charging, battery replacement, etc.
That's nice, I'm sure, but it means having a whole wheel built around that hub. That's got to cost more than a standalone light. Cost-over-time probably works in your favor, but it won't for everybody. And, just in case the hub dyno fails, you should be carrying some kind of backup for it anyway (Scout motto).

I've gone to AA lights on my second bike, and bought a supply of rechargeables. I carry spare sets of fresh ones when I go out.
Old 05-31-18, 01:11 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
There are basically two parts to a bike light set: the battery and the light. The battery is the more expensive part (if it is a good one, which NRs are). So why WOULDN’T it cost more than half the cost of a light set?
Batteries aren't that expensive these days. Fancy LiOn cells and circuitry aside, most of the vanilla rechargeable batteries should not be that expensive, especially given the economy of scale at which they are produced. I bet the real reason Niterider is charging that much for the battery is because they can! Come up with a proprietary battery connector instead of using something standard, and then charge 3x the price. I have an expensive electric toothbrush which has a regular, $10 NiMH battery soldered on. You're not even supposed to be able to replace it - the manufacturer wants you to throw the toothbrush into a landfill and then buy a whole new assembly. Why would I do such a thing? Thankfully, there are 3rd-party batteries available on Amazon - so I just doubled the life of my toothbrush AND kept it out of a landfill for only $10. No, I don't expect everyone to have a soldering iron and know how to solder. But I will not be giving any more money to that toothbrush manufacturer any more.

Is Niterider in the business of developing and selling batteries or lights? Because I'm pretty sure they're just repackaging someone else's battery. Hardly any value they're adding in there. OP, I would suggest looking for another light, it's not like there's a lack of competition in that space.
Old 05-31-18, 01:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Go dynamo and don't worry about lights or charging or batteries : )
Old 05-31-18, 01:46 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by autonomy
Batteries aren't that expensive these days. Fancy LiOn cells and circuitry aside, most of the vanilla rechargeable batteries should not be that expensive, especially given the economy of scale at which they are produced..
The battery in question IS a Li-ion battery.

And yes, NR certainly gets thier batteries from someone else. But there is a big difference between the cheap Li-ion bike light batteries you get from Amazon for dirt cheap and ones that are made to work reliably for several years. A company can spec really cheap batteries or more expensive ones. I can tell you from too much experience with dirt cheap Li-ion batteries and ones that come in lights from reputable companies like NR, Cygolight, and Light & Motion that there is a big difference in how reliable they are

i am sorry, but you are not going to get the small size, light weight, burn time, AND longevity/reliability of the battery that comes in a NR Lumina for $5.

i can show you a pile of cheap Li-ion batteries for bike lights that crapped the bed in under a year of light use. I will use them on my mtb because I run 3 lights so I can afford to have one crap out (which they frequently do). But at $10-$15 a piece I just buy a bunch of them.
Old 05-31-18, 01:52 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I have had a Lupine Piko 3 since 2011 and am still using the original battery. The system is pricy, but I have had to spend zero on it since buying it seven years ago.
Old 05-31-18, 01:57 PM
autonomy

The battery in question IS a Li-ion battery.

And yes, NR certainly gets thier batteries from someone else. But there is a big difference between the cheap Li-ion bike light batteries you get from Amazon for dirt cheap and ones that are made to work reliably for several years. A company can spec really cheap batteries or more expensive ones. I can tell you from too much experience with dirt cheap Li-ion batteries and ones that come in lights from reputable companies like NR, Cygolight, and Light & Motion that there is a big difference in how reliable they are

i am sorry, but you are not going to get the small size, light weight, burn time, AND longevity/reliability of the battery that comes in a NR Lumina for $5.

i can show you a pile of cheap Li-ion batteries for bike lights that crapped the bed in under a year of light use. I will use them on my mtb because I run 3 lights so I can afford to have one crap out (which they frequently do). But at $10-$15 a piece I just buy a bunch of them.
Yeah, but is it a fancy battery? Is it reliable? I don't think so, given OP's experience. Probably made in China like the rest of them, unless it's one of these or similar BT-70791CK, BB-2590/U 7.5 Ah Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
Seriously, the tiny battery in my phone lasts more than 2 years and I charge/discharge it daily.
Old 05-31-18, 02:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by autonomy
Yeah, but is it a fancy battery? Is it reliable? I don't think so, given OP's experience. Probably made in China like the rest of them, unless it's one of these or similar BT-70791CK, BB-2590/U 7.5 Ah Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
Seriously, the tiny battery in my phone lasts more than 2 years and I charge/discharge it daily.
Yes, NR does have an earned rep for quality stuff.

The battery you linked to is $375
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-31-18, 02:14 PM
autonomy

Yes, NR does have an earned rep for quality stuff.

The battery you linked to is $375
Yeah, it's a military-grade battery. Point being that unless NR has military-spec LiON tech in their batteries, they shouldn't be charging $25 for a single-cell 18650 battery.
Old 05-31-18, 02:27 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts

A company can spec really cheap batteries or more expensive ones. I can tell you from too much experience with dirt cheap Li-ion batteries and ones that come in lights from reputable companies like NR, Cygolight, and Light & Motion that there is a big difference in how reliable they are
Apparently not. OP has a "reputable" NR and his battery crapped out in a short time. I use the run of the mill 18650 batteries and lights on and off the bike. I don't have an hour meter on my flashlights but I've used them 2 winters riding at night and every other non dark ride as a front blinky and countless times as a regular flashlight. I live in the woods and its can't see hand in front of your face pitch black at night so I use a those lights and batteries pretty much every day. No doubt some will be junk but statistically I've been great. I also use a decent smart charger, not a generic walwart of unknown capability.

Last edited by u235; 05-31-18 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
If it was simply $25 to repair vs $50 to replace, then economics would dictate the $25 repair.

However, there are many headlights that cost in excess of $100... so a repair would be more favorable... presumably.

On the other hand, other parts wear. I've had nothing but grief from the Android charging plugs, and really hate that they've become standard on so many lights.

My current headlight will barely charge with the plug. So, if the battery was to go bad, the only reasonable choice would be to get a new light (or replace both the battery + charging plug). I think the mount may be wearing.

Anyway, there would be benefits of buying all new (and perhaps going with a different brand or model).
Old 05-31-18, 03:04 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
That's nice, I'm sure, but it means having a whole wheel built around that hub. That's got to cost more than a standalone light. Cost-over-time probably works in your favor, but it won't for everybody. And, just in case the hub dyno fails, you should be carrying some kind of backup for it anyway (Scout motto).

I've gone to AA lights on my second bike, and bought a supply of rechargeables. I carry spare sets of fresh ones when I go out.
never had a dyno or a dyno headlight fail. have had a dyno tailight fail but it didnt kill me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.