Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kits?

Old 09-24-18, 12:59 PM
zuccini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kits?

A couple of my friends and I are starting to cycle more. Are kits really important in cycling, and if they are, do you guys have any suggestions for kits?

We're male teens in high school, so our budget is pretty small. We're planning a 60 miler in October, and a century in November.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-18, 01:03 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Proper cycling clothing is important. You don't want anything that flaps about in the wind and clothing that has poor moisture management, you'll get uncomfortable really quick and chafe in the worst of places. Try Amazon if you are on a tight budget.
Old 09-24-18, 01:14 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Not sure if you mean "kit" as in the English/British term for any piece of equipment (but often used to refer to clothing), or something like a "repair kit", which would be a little pouch with basics such as tools, tubes and inflators.

If you are referring to clothing, I think Tagaproject said enough there.

For a basic road repair kit, a multi-tool, patch kit and/or tube, tire levers and CO2 or pump should cover most of your needs. Many folks put this stuff into a small bag beneath the saddle (or on the frame), or in jersey pockets.
Old 09-24-18, 02:02 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If you're on a budget places like Dick's / Wal Mart / Target have the underseat bags to put your spare tube and tools in (not to mention they have the spare tubes and tools) cheaper than you're get at a bike shop.

But the quality is usually a step down too. If you're new, you might not notice or care.

Amazon has a great selection of that stuff for great prices. Problem is it's hard to tell if it's really nice or if they paid reviewers so say it's really nice.

If nothing else though, be sure to have a spare inner tube, a pump (or CO2 inflater) and tire levers with you on a 60-100 mile ride. You do not want to be 20 miles from help with a flat tire you can't repair. And in my experience, a lot of the places I like to ride have really crappy cell phone service. So I 'm really on my own and can't even call for help.

On that same note...make sure you know HOW to change an inner tube before you go out. On the side of the road with bad cell service is a bad time to try and watch a YouTube video on how to change a tire. It's not hard at all. But the first time is tricky. Do it 2-3 times at home and you're an expert.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 09-24-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 02:09 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Also...and I cannot stress this enough....make sure not to bike TOO much. Make sure you get home so you can study hard and make a good living.

Biking is expensive. You'll need the extra money to be able to afford it when you're older!
Old 09-24-18, 02:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Not sure if you mean "kit" as in the English/British term for any piece of equipment (but often used to refer to clothing), or something like a "repair kit", which would be a little pouch with basics such as tools, tubes and inflators.
It's also a species of fox:

Old 09-24-18, 02:21 PM
zuccini

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Also...and I cannot stress this enough....make sure not to bike TOO much. Make sure you get home so you can study hard and make a good living.

Biking is expensive. You'll need the extra money to be able to afford it when you're older!
Haha, sorry for the misunderstanding. By kit, I meant clothing.

Biking is just a good outlet to relieve stress from exams, but it does seem like strava is making us more competitive and trying to get more miles in.

Amazon has a lot of options, but I'm afraid that the 30-50 dollar kits aren't going to hold up for longer distances (especially the shorts/bibs). Have you guys tried any of those? Also, because we want to all get the same kit, are there any places to buy in bulk for cheaper?
Old 09-24-18, 02:25 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zuccini
Amazon has a lot of options, but I'm afraid that the 30-50 dollar kits aren't going to hold up for longer distances (especially the shorts/bibs). Have you guys tried any of those? Also, because we want to all get the same kit, are there any places to buy in bulk for cheaper?
Stop saying "kit". It's weird.

I have 5 pair of Baleaf bib shorts from Amazon. $30 each, I think. They last a long time.
Old 09-24-18, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Yeah. And I have never considered a "kit" anything other than a specifically designed set of shorts and a jersey that were made to go with each other. I don't consider my PI bibs and Desoto jersey to be a "kit" even though they are cycling clothes.
Old 09-24-18, 02:29 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Biking is just a good outlet to relieve stress from exams, but it does seem like strava is making us more competitive and trying to get more miles in.

Don't think you can do better than this for a quality product. With the bundle discount it comes down to a little more than $100+tax for the Peak kit. I have never used their shorts, but I have one of their jerseys, which is much better than amazon stuff.

https://www.bellwetherclothing.com/collections/bundles
Old 09-24-18, 02:44 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Love2Pedal bibs are very budget friendly and I believe you can get them at Amazon under the name "Falconi bib shorts". I've used them on century rides.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 09-24-18 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 02:45 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I just got Nashbar bib shorts for $29.99 and a Canari jersey for $14.99:

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-short-na-ebsh
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...jersey-ca-jora

Always good deals on name brand stuff at Nashbar for previous season stuff. Nashbar house brand is always a bargain. Basically the same as their sister company Performances stuff which you can also get in store at Performance and they always have sales as well. I've had expensive stuff and I've had cheap ebay china stuff. The expensive stuff doesn't justify the price over cheaper house brand stuff unless you ride in a wind tunnel or you care more about fashion then function. The cheap china stuff isn't bad but I found the shorts will be destroyed in about 3 months of regular riding so better to spend a little extra on something that lasts a full season at least
Old 09-24-18, 02:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I suggest they all buy home brewing starter kits.
Old 09-24-18, 03:44 PM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Oct / Nov riding...make sure you get pieces that is appropriate to the weather in your area.
Old 09-24-18, 03:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag

Except it's not.

And it's the proper word for cycling clothing.
Old 09-24-18, 04:06 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

Sierra Trading Post often has decent bike clothing on closeout. The tradeoff is that it is hit or miss on sizing, so filter for size to help isolate possibilities.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/all/s~cycling-bib/?page=1&overrideSort=SavingsHighToLow

I'm currently riding with the 7iDP hydro bib (with pads removed) and have found it to be extremely well made and comfortable, if a bit odd with its blue stitching.

Same for jerseys. If you search you can find decent quality jerseys on closeout for $20-25
Old 09-25-18, 09:41 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
The "kit" you wear is just for your personal comfort and utility. You could bike in running shorts and a t-shirt. But there is a reason people wear proper cycling clothing over long distances, and it is not fashion or because it looks "pro" or "cool".

Shorts: Over long distances you want a chamois to protect your undercarriage from chafing and discomfort (and DONT wear underwear with a chamois, just the bike shorts).

Cycling jersey: is usually more form-fitting: more aerodynamic. but the most important benefit of a bike jersey is the rear pockets, usually 3 or 4. These can hold things you need on a long ride to be accessible: food, phone, keys, etc. Some people carry spare tubes and pumps in their jersey as well, although I use a saddlebag for this.

It doesn't have to be expensive stuff. Entry level cycling clothing can be good and cheap. Shop for stuff on sale, or just entry level stuff.
Old 09-25-18, 04:48 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As with anything, the best bargains are had from second hand and clearance. If any of you are size XS or XXL, you might find some super bargains on high-end stuff from last year. After that, "store brand" like dhb from Wiggle.com are typically good buys.

How ambitious are you and your friends? Have you looked into whether there is a local (racing) development club? I'd imagine that if you can afford decent bikes you can afford decent kit, but who knows, if not, maybe you can get some outside support.
Old 09-27-18, 06:37 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts

I own a couple of 30-50 full dollar kits from Amazon as they're alright for training. Frankly, they would hold up fine for many 60-100 mile rides as they are typically built pretty tough. That being said, you buy bicycle kit because it is more comfortable and aero then traditional clothing. You will find that the extra $$ you could spend will get you SUBSTANTIALLY more comfortable products. Honestly, if you're getting into cycling more, please PLEASE buy more expensive kit as it will get you cycling more, $30-50 (for bibs and jersey) seem like a good idea (and I did that for awhile) until you actually buy some decent kit and realize you would rather keep reusing your one good kit over your chinese garbage to the point where it falls apart, then you'll still find a way to make it work.

I'm kind of in the same boat though, not wanted to spend too much but get still get a good product. My recommendations are wiggle.com | dhb Bib Shorts | Bib Shorts DHB bib shorts at $34.95 and wiggle.com | dhb Blok Short Sleeve Jersey - Rocks | Jerseys DHB Shirt at $29.97. Now these are the cheapest of the DHB line, but the entire line is basically some of your best value per product in the cycling world. If you're looking for cold weather kit I'd recommend simply getting the tights and long sleeve versions from the DHB line.

I own some of the slightly higher level DHB kit and I find the only difference between that and my far more expensive team racing kit to be in aerodynamics and weight of material, comfort and fit wise, they are similar.
Old 09-27-18, 06:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Black Bibs. $30 shorts, $40 bibs, $30 jerseys. Quality is very good.

You can also get Canari Optic Nova jerseys on Amazon for under $20. I own three.

It's also the "end of the season" for cycling, so lots of stuff going on sale. Shop around.
Old 09-27-18, 01:33 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
^^ I'm with DrIsotope here. I picked up a pair of Black Bibs $40 bibs, best bang for the buck on new bike shorts out there. Once you know the brands and what works for you Amazon can be great, but for a newbie I would not suggest Amazon for your first pair.
Old 09-27-18, 04:17 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AliExpress is your cheapest option: jersey + bib short combinations can be found for less than $25 in a wide array of designs. Just be aware that it's risky - you might get kit that's perfectly acceptable, or you might get junk. I've received both.

I don't know your location, but below is a link to a USA jersey I recently purchased. The price as of this moment: $14.36, shipping included. IMO, this jersey is well worth the money (so, presumably, are all other jersey designs by the same manufacturer if you prefer one of those). Follow the "suggest chest" size to make your selection. For example, I have a 38 inch = 97cm chest - prefer a tight, race-fit jersey - ordered a size M (vs. the size-chart-recommended L) - and got exactly what I wanted - but I'd better not gain any weight!
USA Jersey

I can't recommend any bibs on AliExpress, unfortunately. Love2Pedal was mentioned earlier. I'd go there; more expensive, but you're guaranteed a comfortable, decent-quality product.

For any jersey you order on AliExpress, my recommendation is to ignore the height/weight recommendation, and go by chest size. That usually means choosing between two sizes depending on whether you want a tight fit or not. The only problem then becomes whether the size chart is accurate - sometimes it's not.

If you decide to risk a jersey + bib short purchase: if you pick your jersey size based on wanting a tight, race-fit, I recommend going up one size for the bib shorts (my typical order is always size M jersey, size L bib shorts - I find the same-size bib shorts to be one size too small for comfort).
Old 09-27-18, 05:35 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Check out https://www.theblackbibs.com/, I know the owner and have some kits from them. $30 for ok bibs and jerseys
Old 09-28-18, 03:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

I have cycling clothing.

You might try places like MEC, Anaconda, Decathlon, or REI depending upon where you live for similar and less expensive cycling clothing.