Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jones vs Drop bars

Old 12-02-19, 12:39 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Jones vs Drop bars

I did a 30 mile trail ride this weekend on a buddies adventure bike with Jones handlebars. I was initially a bit confused exactly where to place my hands but as the miles past by it became clear that the beauty of these bars is the number of hand placements they afford. Thinking of switching my drop bars to a set of Jones on my Trek Checkpoint. I know they're a bit heavier but the sweep back is so darn comfortable. Anybody else? Thoughts?
Old 12-02-19, 08:09 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mdcoram
I did a 30 mile trail ride this weekend on a buddies adventure bike with Jones handlebars. I was initially a bit confused exactly where to place my hands but as the miles past by it became clear that the beauty of these bars is the number of hand placements they afford. Thinking of switching my drop bars to a set of Jones on my Trek Checkpoint. I know they're a bit heavier but the sweep back is so darn comfortable. Anybody else? Thoughts?
I went the other way: Had a rigid 29er/fatbike that I put Jones bars on pretty much out of the gate, but eventually took them off and did a low-budget drop bar conversion.

My verdict: Jones bars offer a number of very comfortable hand positions. However, unlike drop bars, none of those hand positions are optimized to put you in a more “aero” body position, which was important for me. Additionally, the forward loop makes it difficult to mount aerobars, although there may be some workable solution on that front I didn’t get around to exploring. If I were to do it again, I probably would have tried the Surly Moloko bar or the Velo Orange Crazy Bar, but in the end I’m glad I went over to drop bars.

If aero is not a concern, they are a solid choice IMHO. I found them comfortable for long rides, and they offer some interesting options for bags and accessory mounting. Potential issues include: trying to mount your STI levers to the Jones bar (or converting to a MTB drivetrain) as well as bar positioning/stem choice.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 12-03-19, 08:26 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I have had a different experience and enjoy the aero position on the Jones bars. I wrapped handlebar tape around the loop parts and then can rest my forearms across the bars. It is both comfortable and stable.
Obviously the wide position is something you won’t get on road bars but then the “drop” position is something you won’t have with the Jones.
Old 12-08-19, 09:13 PM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's good to have two bikes, one with Jones bars and one with flared, shallow drop bars like Salsa Cowchippers (or many others). If I had to settle on one, flared drops would be my choice but the Jones H-bars are a close second.
Old 12-22-19, 10:24 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by gda659
It's good to have two bikes, one with Jones bars and one with flared, shallow drop bars like Salsa Cowchippers (or many others). If I had to settle on one, flared drops would be my choice but the Jones H-bars are a close second.
Same here, got on bike with Jones bars and another with the drop bars.

Jones bars is my fat bike, which I have another 29+ wheel set for and use for rougher gravel and muddy rides in addition to winter riding.

Drop bars on my Jamis Renegade Exploit which I use for more speed and distance including more paved roads. I got the aero bars on this setup.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 12-27-19, 05:15 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Also a rider with both bars on different bikes. My Surly Ogre has the Jones bars, and I love them. As mentioned, these are not intended specifically to be an aero-style bar, but you can get into a more tucked position if desired. Jeff Jones does also sell an accessory for the Jones bars, that better mimics an aero mount, the Gnarwal.
https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-gnarwal/

This year I got a Cannondale Topstone and I was actually wondering if I'd have a hard time adapting to a (slightly flared) drop bar again, it has been years since I've owned a road-style bike. But now, for the Topstone, I also love the drops. For that type of bike, with a mix of road/dirt I really appreciate the drop style. The only negative I'd offer, comparing a drop-style bar to the Jones H-bar, or even a flat-bar in general, is the reduced amount of real estate on a drop bar for accessories (Lights, cycle computers, bells, cameras, phone mounts, etc). But there are ways to work around that as well.

I think it's really about what type of bike you are working with, how/where you intend upon using the bike, and what you want out of the bar styles.

Last edited by westrid_dad; 12-27-19 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For westrid_dad:
Old 12-27-19, 07:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I have a Jones H-bar on my Trek 1120, which is my bikepacking bike and my favorite off pavement bike. On pavement, I mostly ride a Jamis Renegade Expert, but I ditched the drop bars years ago in favor of butterfly trekking bars. I'm 67, and I enjoy the multiple hand positions afforded by both the Jones and butterfly bars. The aero position is fine for those who want it, but not me.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 12-31-19, 02:24 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
I've definitely gone back and forth between drop bars and high sweep flat bars over the years. The luxury of having multiple bikes let's me have both setups, depending on the ride. I like drops for long rides with climbs and flats for casual rides and descents. Can't have it both ways.