Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Toad is a jerk

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Toad is a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 08:50 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
The only time that I can remember really getting upset about a horn was when I was in the left turn lane waiting for the light. I was as far to the right as I could be without getting into the next lane and a pick up truck had come up behind me( the lane was empty when I pulled up) and laid on his horn. I think he may have been upset that I was in the left turn lane , I dunno. It scared the stuffing out of me and I felt like taking my frame pump to the side of his truck. Calm and logic took over and I just shrugged without making any gestures or eye contact. It sure scared me though and I can see how it would rattle your cage. Joe
Old 05-20-20, 09:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
When I began using a helmet cam in 2014 and began reviewing my rides, I thought I would document all sorts of bad driver behavior. What I discovered was my own bad behavior.

I still over-react and misinterpret once in a while...but far, far less.

Hypno Toad I'm glad you shared your experience, especially the part where you were able to apologize...as you know, some people will stick to a dis-proven narrative, just to justify their uncontrollable anger.

I'm glad you shared, it shows people that reconcilliation is a possible outcome.
Thanks!

Like you, riding with a GoPro taught me a lot about myself and my reactions. I'd review a stress event after my commute only to find that the event wasn't 'that bad' but my response was embarrassing.
Old 05-20-20, 09:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My initial impression is always "why is this jerk honking at me?" So I can sympathize. A second later I usually think, they're probably not, and who knows it may just be one of those who honk at anything at random.

That split second in between is the danger period for how I react. Sometimes we get angry and act defensive, sometimes not. It's not a lot of time to decide.
Old 05-20-20, 11:05 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Sounds like all ended well.

Personally, I think horns are way overused. They're supposed to be to notify others of your presence to avoid an accident. 90% of the time the accident has been avoided and the horn is to let everyone know that you thought the other guy was a jerk.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 05-20-20, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
When people yell at me I tend to say "love you too" sometimes it pisses them off more because they want a reaction they want a fight and I don't give it to them in that moment. I yell at cars when they don't have lights on all the time and some start angry and then realize why I am yelling at them and they smile and wave or nod or thumbs up.

My favorite incident that I probably mentioned before was some idiots in a car yelling "get off the road, roadie" because I was on my touring bike in normal clothes (actually I think I had a winter jacket on) with panniers looking nothing like a roadie. I don't remember my reaction but now I am kind of like cool, some how even with my slim and slender physique (if you have severe vision impairment) and my road cycling kit (of hiking pants, a t-shirt and arcteryx insulated jacket and a mountain bike helmet) they knew I was a true roadie.

There is not a really good way to communicate when you cannot hear someone and really stop and chat and unless you both speak sign language or can blink out morse code it makes it even harder.

Biggest trick always carry a tire iron and use it, it will ensure you know exactly what emotion the other person is having and won't have to guess
They may have been honking hello or be careful but now they are angry and that is a guarantee you can't get with other methods.
Old 05-20-20, 11:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
When I began using a helmet cam in 2014 and began reviewing my rides, I thought I would document all sorts of bad driver behavior. What I discovered was my own bad behavior.

I still over-react and misinterpret once in a while...but far, far less.

Hypno Toad I'm glad you shared your experience, especially the part where you were able to apologize...as you know, some people will stick to a dis-proven narrative, just to justify their uncontrollable anger.

I'm glad you shared, it shows people that reconcilliation is a possible outcome.
Same. I've been running video for a couple of years. Occasionally it'll remind me of my own lapses in judgment. By far the vast majority of incidents were purely the fault of negligent drivers. At least one a week, sometimes every dang day. But I've made a few errors myself that could have turned out badly.

I got ticketed in January for slow rolling a right turn at a four way stop. No other cars around, other than the one directly behind me. I only noticed the light on my tail and I usually slow, look and roll through stop signs if someone is on my tail. I've been rear-ended too many times on my bicycle and motorcycle by tailgaters. And they always say the same stupid thing: "I didn't see you!" Yeah, right. I'm directly in front of you, with taillights blazing and hi-viz apparel. You weren't looking.

When I reviewed the video (I run front and rear) I realized the cop had been shadowing me for a mile, waiting for me to make a mistake. I had come to complete stops at two other intersection while the cop was right behind me. So I considered contesting it in court. But when I reviewed the entire video I realized I had slow rolled through another stop sign, which the cop probably saw. I figured my argument was weak. I just sucked it up, paid the $300 -- including lawyer fees just to get it expunged from my record after 90 days.

I try to come to complete but brief stops at every stop sign now. But I'm still paranoid when I see cars approaching me from behind as I'm slowing for a stop sign. Usually I'll do a Crazy Ivan to get their attention -- swerve left and right as I'm braking -- and the usual hand signal for braking. So far, so good, although it's been only 3 months.

I'd still rather see Texas adopt the Idaho Stop.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-01-20, 07:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
This came up on my FB memories .... felt like it's a good one to share in this thread. I've tried most of these, I think my fav is "look confused" (& that comes naturally for me )

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-01-20, 11:16 AM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Good on you for talking to her and getting the story straight.

I have made it a habit to point at my eyes if a driver does something boneheaded.
If they yell, I point at my ear and give them the "huh? I didn't catch it" shrug.
thats a nice one to remember