Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can Stem Extend Slightly Higher Than Steerer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can Stem Extend Slightly Higher Than Steerer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 10:18 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I guess it shows why you need to review headset and stem stack height when making a change. Maybe hard to get for China ones.

scott s.
Old 07-29-20, 06:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by cougarkite
Actually I just took out the spacer below and although they look pretty even, I think the steerer is ever so slightly higher and wont allow me to get pressure down when tightening cap screw and thus leaving my fork a bit loose so looks like I need to switch out some spacers ...
Hie thee to thine local bike shop and pick up a 5 mm spacer ($5?). Put that below the stem and you'll be ready to ride.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-29-20, 07:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

I see your photo. Yes, the bike already has a tall head tube on a compact frame geometry. Maybe a stem riser would work for you? I've used them for folks in extreme situations. No off-roading, though, as I wouldn't trust one where the steerer column is under heavy shear loads.
Old 07-29-20, 08:11 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Just looked at the pictures. That's a nope. THe top bolt is fully above the top of the steerer tube, which is not recommended. Likely a pretty small chance of failure, but still not good. And the price for failure would almost definitely be a crash and lots of potential for serious injury.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-29-20, 06:23 PM
cougarkite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

I see your photo. Yes, the bike already has a tall head tube on a compact frame geometry. Maybe a stem riser would work for you? I've used them for folks in extreme situations. No off-roading, though, as I wouldn't trust one where the steerer column is under heavy shear loads.
Ordered some spacers and a slightly higher angle stem so I hope that'll do the trick!