Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

My Journey Begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 04:06 PM
chadkams

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My Journey Begins

I’m 37 years old and an ex- college athlete that allowed himself to get way too far out of shape. At 6’4 I’m currently 408 lbs. I joined the forums a couple of weeks ago when I started doing research for a new bike (I hadn’t been in a bike since I was a teenager). I took the advice of some and started working out (lifting & using the stationary bike at the gym) on Monday 7/6 (where I weighed in at 422.8 lbs) while my bike was coming in at my local shop. I picked up my 2020 Trek Marlin 5 this past Wednesday. I’ve only been on it once this far as I was out of town this weekend but I can already tell I may need to upgrade the tires. I had them filled to max PSI but they still feel like they are deflating do to my weight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for new tires? The rims are 29’ inches.

Also, is there a seat/seat post you would recommend for a heavy beginner who will be taking it easy for the first couple of months?
Likes For chadkams:
Old 07-20-20, 07:36 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Tires, I'd go with a fairly heavy duty set of touring tires, and keep a close eye on the spokes. I bought heavier duty wheels too.
I don't know how much wider you can go, but with more weight, wider tires can help a lot. A 26" set would be stronger, for the same spoke count.
I think a 650b swap would work well, and should also allow for fatter tires.

Even I (though I really knew better) tried a big cushy saddle when I was at my biggest. Reminded myself fairly quickly why this was a bad idea, and went back to
something a little more 'normal'. A decently stout alloy seatpost should do you fine, such as the stock one, so long as you take it easy.

I was up to about 380 a couple years ago, and have a thread ("Finally!") detailing what I could think to write about it. Down to about 240 now, and working on the last few lbs.
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-31-20, 09:31 AM
chadkams

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Tires, I'd go with a fairly heavy duty set of touring tires, and keep a close eye on the spokes. I bought heavier duty wheels too.
I don't know how much wider you can go, but with more weight, wider tires can help a lot. A 26" set would be stronger, for the same spoke count.
I think a 650b swap would work well, and should also allow for fatter tires.

Even I (though I really knew better) tried a big cushy saddle when I was at my biggest. Reminded myself fairly quickly why this was a bad idea, and went back to
something a little more 'normal'. A decently stout alloy seatpost should do you fine, such as the stock one, so long as you take it easy.

I was up to about 380 a couple years ago, and have a thread ("Finally!") detailing what I could think to write about it. Down to about 240 now, and working on the last few lbs.
Thank you for the insight! This is a complete newbie question but how do I know if my bike can take smaller or wider rims/wheels?
Old 07-31-20, 09:33 AM
chadkams

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
UPDATE: I almost made it back to the 300s by the end of July. I weighed in at exactly 400 lbs this morning which brings my total weight loss to about 23 pounds since July 6th. I have been on the bike only a handful times so far for very short stints. I realized fairly quickly that biking using a bunch of different muscles I am not used to using!
Likes For chadkams:
Old 07-31-20, 10:12 AM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
Way to go and welcome to the forum. I was at almost the same weight you were when I started, I am at 226 currently as I have gained a little since my surgery. Velojym has some good advice, a good set of touring tires will work very well. Good Luck!
Likes For Robalero: