Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Understood. But isn't putting a tube in a tubeless tire kinda ********, I mean stupid??
How so? I don't see how it's any more ******** than putting a tube in a regular tire. I mean, yeah, on average the tire will cost you a handful of dollars more, but that doesn't mean that you need to jump in to the tubeless waters if you don't want to.
Old 08-10-20, 07:45 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
You people must ride on some terrible roads.
Old 08-10-20, 08:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Understood. But isn't putting a tube in a tubeless tire kinda ********, I mean stupid??
Yes.
Old 08-10-20, 08:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The road in LAJ's video wouldn't be unusual in my area, either. There are definitely better roads out there, but that kind of surface condition wouldn't be bad enough to make me avoid it. I'm more likely to avoid a road because of traffic considerations (hell, about a mile away, the road outside my door has a 30mph, slightly uphill, 1/4 mile section with no shoulder - if I'm riding alone, I'll go two miles out of my way to avoid that stretch).
Old 08-10-20, 08:29 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Am going to recycle my Pedro’s “4th hand” tool, which should really be called a cable unraveler, lest I am ever tempted to use it again.
Good to know. I've been considering one of those. Though with the bum finger its usefulness might finally be upon me. I'll avoid Pedro's

Old 08-10-20, 08:38 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

I am not really paying too much attention to the tubeless chatter, but I did not realize that a HOOKLESS rim (which are becoming more popular) must be used with tubeless and NOT tubed tires. At least that's what a GCN video told me.

Is that true? I wonder if availability of hooked rims will decrease and force us all to tubeless, similar to what happened with disc brakes becoming "standard" on new road bikes?

#ConspiracyTheory
I just finished organizing my rims and wheels yet again. I can happily say that I have enough for my future needs. 700c, 27", a single 26", prolly junk, and I even have a pair of tubular rims. I am reasonably supplied with hubs as well. Prolly 20 pounds of spokes but very few of the lengths I've been needing lately.

Old 08-10-20, 08:42 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The road in LAJ's video wouldn't be unusual in my area, either. There are definitely better roads out there, but that kind of surface condition wouldn't be bad enough to make me avoid it. I'm more likely to avoid a road because of traffic considerations (hell, about a mile away, the road outside my door has a 30mph, slightly uphill, 1/4 mile section with no shoulder - if I'm riding alone, I'll go two miles out of my way to avoid that stretch).
The traffic on that road gave me the willies. I didn't even notice the cracks.

Old 08-10-20, 08:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22575 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
How so? I don't see how it's any more ******** than putting a tube in a regular tire. I mean, yeah, on average the tire will cost you a handful of dollars more, but that doesn't mean that you need to jump in to the tubeless waters if you don't want to.
It will add extra weight, and I don't know how the performance will be. A tubeless tire essentially has rubber (not sure if butyl but prolly or equivalent) bonded to the inside of the tire. Adding another layer of butyl I suspect will affect rolling resistance and performance, and probably not in a good way. It may be a tiny difference, I won't lose any sleep over this. Yet.
Old 08-10-20, 08:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Good to know. I've been considering one of those. Though with the bum finger its usefulness might finally be upon me. I'll avoid Pedro's
It anchors the cable with a cam and flattens it. I have destroyed two recently. I don't remember the Park tool doing that.
Old 08-10-20, 09:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

MoAlpha what do you think about the practice of hypnosis?
Old 08-10-20, 09:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Correct.

On the last longer ride I did there was a ~25mph descent on a road so rough I was legitimately concerned to be on 43 year old steel. The bike and I made it, but there are some really terrible roads here. I can deal with a rough road surface okay, it's the damn expansion cracks that produce a large jarring shock through the handlebars every 15 feet or so. There's one road in particular that has them for a good mile straight.

Same. Most everything I ride around here is pretty quiet country roads, but there are a couple of east/west roads that are the main routes between towns that I will absolutely not ride on for an extended period of time. Minimal shoulders and 55mph+ traffic, but what's the real PITA is that you've got to go really out of your way to avoid them.
Old 08-10-20, 09:11 AM
WhyFi

A tubeless tire essentially has rubber (not sure if butyl but prolly or equivalent) bonded to the inside of the tire.
Kind of, but not really. There are tubeless tires and tubeless ready tires. Tubeless tires are the ones with the impermeable lining that doesn't require sealant - I don't know that I've actually come across one of those IRL yet. Tubeless ready tires seem to be much more common (at least among the performance tires that I've been using), require sealant for normal use and aren't that much heavier than their tubed counterparts.
Old 08-10-20, 09:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

MoAlpha what do you think about the practice of hypnosis?
It's clearly "a thing," and there are some interesting new data on how it and some related phenomena might work, but I don't know much about the practice, per se. Why are you asking?
Old 08-10-20, 09:24 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

As of last night I am the owner of a bicycle motorcross bicycle.

I'd say proud owner, but I picked it from the curb and haven't dug into it enough to find out how big of a POS it is

The good news is that it has 3 piece cranks, which seems to be the bare minimum to elevate it above total POS classification, but it certainly gets knocked down a peg or two since the freewheel has no notches for removal

Should be interesting, I don't know much about these things.
Old 08-10-20, 09:27 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
On the last longer ride I did there was a ~25mph descent on a road so rough I was legitimately concerned to be on 43 year old steel. The bike and I made it, but there are some really terrible roads here. I can deal with a rough road surface okay, it's the damn expansion cracks that produce a large jarring shock through the handlebars every 15 feet or so. There's one road in particular that has them for a good mile straight.
But, but, but! Some of the in the Greater 41 lead me to believe that wide tires were being foisted upon us because they're necessary for unnecessarily stiff wundercrabon bikes and that no such measures were needed for good ol' steel! Are you saying steel isn't real?!

Seriously, though - my new wheels/tires are wonderful with cracks and seams.

Same. Most everything I ride around here is pretty quiet country roads, but there are a couple of east/west roads that are the main routes between towns that I will absolutely not ride on for an extended period of time. Minimal shoulders and 55mph+ traffic, but what's the real PITA is that you've got to go really out of your way to avoid them.
In the last few weeks, I have become proficient at scouting with a combination of the Strava Heatmap (which is behind a paywall, unfortunately, but I think that there's a way around it...) and Google Maps/Streetview.

The Heatmap tells you where people are riding, but that's not always the whole story - sometimes they're on bike paths that run parallel to the road and those are often... well, let's just say that I don't like 'em. Anyway, once I have a road in mind from the Heatmap, I'll check it with Streetview. If it's a long road, and too tedious to click all the way through on SV, I'll back out to the satellite view and then zoom in as much as possible - the resolution is often good enough to gauge the width of the shoulder using the lane as a reference. I'll zip along with that top-down view, jumping in to SV every so often just to confirm. It takes a little time, but it's better than feeling it out in person.

Of course, none of this applies if you've been in your area for a while and already know the roads like the back of your hand. ​​​​​​​
Old 08-10-20, 09:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

But, but, but! Some of the in the Greater 41 lead me to believe that wide tires were being foisted upon us because they're necessary for unnecessarily stiff wundercrabon bikes and that no such measures were needed for good ol' steel! Are you saying steel isn't real?!

In the last few weeks, I have become proficient at scouting with a combination of the Strava Heatmap (which is behind a paywall, unfortunately, but I think that there's a way around it...) and Google Maps/Streetview.

The Heatmap tells you where people are riding, but that's not always the whole story - sometimes they're on bike paths that run parallel to the road and those are often... well, let's just say that I don't like 'em. Anyway, once I have a road in mind from the Heatmap, I'll check it with Streetview. If it's a long road, and too tedious to click all the way through on SV, I'll back out to the satellite view and then zoom in as much as possible - the resolution is often good enough to gauge the width of the shoulder using the lane as a reference. I'll zip along with that top-down view, jumping in to SV every so often just to confirm. It takes a little time, but it's better than feeling it out in person.

Of course, none of this applies if you've been in your area for a while and already know the roads like the back of your hand.
The Strava heat map is here: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/....36000/hot/all. No pay wall.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-10-20, 09:50 AM
abshipp 

Sometimes a road is just so rough that nothing's going to help

And yes, generally an old steel frame does great for taking the edge off and a lot of them take at least 28s, which is what I run on my SLT.

I've got no desire to run less than 28s on anything anymore, although I do have a used set of Veloflex Masters in 25mm that feel nice and I wouldn't mind mounting up again, but those are just really really nice tires anyways

Of course, none of this applies if you've been in your area for a while and already know the roads like the back of your hand.
I do the exact same thing . One of my favorite activities before a longer ride on unfamiliar roads is annotating my cue sheet by reviewing the course on Google Maps.

I did just realize the usefulness of the Heatmap a couple of months ago, and ended up changing my route pretty significantly from what I saw on there. Both by not taking a road I thought would be good, and by taking a road that I would have never considered - Route 2 southbound into Oregon IL.

I think I know the roads around here after living at my current place for almost 4 years now, but I still manage to get myself turned around every once in a while

And yeah, like Mo said, the global heatmap is free. I think that the personal heatmap is a paid feature.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 08-10-20, 09:55 AM
WhyFi

The Strava heat map is here: https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/....36000/hot/all. No pay wall.
I knew that I had it bookmarked some place, but I wasn't sure if it was an actual Strava map or if it was a third party that had leeched the info. Since I have the subscription, I've just been using the Heatmap in their route builder, but between this and Intervals, I may not have a ton of reasons to re-up in 10 months.
Old 08-10-20, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

I think that the personal heatmap is a paid feature.
I've got a way around that one, too... or at least I used to.
Old 08-10-20, 10:03 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
I knew that I had it bookmarked some place, but I wasn't sure if it was an actual Strava map or if it was a third party that had leeched the info. Since I have the subscription, I've just been using the Heatmap in their route builder, but between this and Intervals, I may not have a ton of reasons to re-up in 10 months.
I don’t think I’m going to either.

Ive found lately that I haven’t been planning routes, just trying some random turns here and there to see where they go. Of course, these are all short time constrained rides.
Old 08-10-20, 10:19 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Hard pass.

There's a road I go on that was probably paved in the last five years, has barely visible cracks, just enough to cause a thump thump thump, like you might feel in a car on a concrete interstate, and even that annoys me.
It's clearly "a thing," and there are some interesting new data on how it and some related phenomena might work, but I don't know much about the practice, per se. Why are you asking?
I saw it in an overall dumb movie yesterday and got to thinking about it. Like, is there ongoing research on how it supposedly works?

Another question I have is the myth of the brain having a vast store of memories which you generally can't recall, but can be revived if the brain is properly stimulated. Is there anything to that?
Old 08-10-20, 10:29 AM
abshipp 

Hard pass.

There's a road I go on that was probably paved in the last five years, has barely visible cracks, just enough to cause a thump thump thump, like you might feel in a car on a concrete interstate, and even that annoys me.
The road conditions annoy me to, but there's no escaping it. Road maintenance out in the country seems to be limited to dumping a layer of fine gravel on top of them every year or two.

The local MUP is actually in worse shape than the roads around here
Old 08-10-20, 10:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Expansion cracks on a descent are awful. Worse are the little peaks across the road, the ones that launch you off the surface. The worst expansion cracks I know are in the Eastern Sierra, descending a steep road and slamming into them every few seconds is just bone jarring. Mostly I just wanted to post a picture from there.

Likes For big john:
Old 08-10-20, 10:49 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 2,223 Posts
The guy I went to go riding with today never showed up. I got a text message later on in my ride that his crank arm fell off. I went and found him, sure enough his crank arm fell off while. The bolt that holds his arm on looked ok, I’m not really sure what happened. He had praxis oval cranks.
Old 08-10-20, 10:57 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
The guy I went to go riding with today never showed up. I got a text message later on in my ride that his crank arm fell off. I went and found him, sure enough his crank arm fell off while. The bolt that holds his arm on looked ok, I’m not really sure what happened. He had praxis oval cranks.
Little bolt or biggin'? Little bolts usually just pinch the crankarm on to the spindle, essentially the same as stem to a steerer. Big bolts usually thread in to the spindle. Either way, being under-tightened was likely the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.