Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good wheel tension by Feel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Good wheel tension by Feel

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 02:02 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
Here's a link to the "optimal" pitch.

The pitch varies with spoke diameter. Some wheels are being built with 1.8mm diameter spokes, where 2.0mm used to the standard. This means the pitch to tension chart needs a column for spoke diameter as well as length.

I don't agree that there's an optimal tension that's based solely on spoke length. Lateral movement is the most sensitive to tension differences. You want the same restorative force. That depends on the number of spokes and steepness of the angle due to dish. To build a 32 spoke wheel that's got the lateral strength 36 spoke wheel, means the spoke tension in the 32 spoke wheel has to be 12.5% higher than in the 36 spoke wheel. Similarly a rear wheel with 10 speed cassette will have a steeper dish than an old 5 speed freewheel. This means more tension for the 10 speed wheel. It also means a greater tension imbalance between driving and non-driving sides.

The final analysis is to pluck a properly built wheel with the same geometry and components and remember the note. You'll be able to write the book, with enough experience.
Thanks SB, i've used that chart the first time i've re-built a wheel ( just changed the hub, relaced, trued and tensioned ) but the rim developed cracks around drive-side eyelets then the cracks appeared everywhere and the wheel went out of true.
It was a nice rigida rim... even though the spokes were 2.0mm thick... besides, this chart doesn't mention if it valid for front wheels, DS or NDS rear wheels. I'm actually bulidng a 700c with 36 spokes clincher wheel with a 8sp hub...
I have no problem to evenly tension the wheels by plucking the, it's a nice method indeed
Old 08-11-20, 02:07 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by canopus
I once tensioned an ACS Z Wheel by feel, the same as I did the aluminum rims before we got a tensionometer. It was perfect... then I went put the tire on. It wouldn't hold the tire bead because the tension was so great for that rim that it shrank the rim.
After you get a tensionometer (and they are only 30usd give or take) you won't build without them. And they will teach you more about good vs bad rims than you ever knew existed.
I hope i'll get that experience too when i get hold of a tensiometer
Originally Posted by berner
I true my own wheels by the pitch when the spoke is plucked just as indicated in the link by SBinNYC, (post17). To get the pitch right I have an inexpensive pitch pipe such as a music teacher may use. This is a fairly objective method far better than squeezing spokes. A highly regarded source of all sorts of information is the web site of Sheldon Brown, a bike mechanic, now deceased and missed. The recommended pitch of plucked spokes is from his former web site. That site with a wealth in bike information can be found here. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...shortcuts.html
Sheldon Brown's website is like a bible, it got me hooked into bicycle mechanics and gave me the courage to do everything by myself without relying on some LBS. Thanks for mentioning him... I was unlucky with that chart unfortunately, it doesn't even mention if the tension is for the left or the right side spokes...
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 08-11-20, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I have nothing against tensiometers. It's just that I haven't used one yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-11-20, 02:30 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Here's my story: While rebuilding a pair of tandem wheels I started, as I always do by sticking my thumbnail into the last spoke thread and spinning up all of the nipples to that point.
BTW, i wanted to thank you for that tip with the thumbnail it's much more reliable than checking by sight and less expensive than sheldon brown's method with filing a screwdriver's head..
Old 08-11-20, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As mandolin guitar player I used plucked tone & compared with other well built wheels.
Have wheels I built in the 70's, that are still fine..

Of course dished rear wheels pull the hub to the left from a tension balance differential..
Old 08-11-20, 03:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
I was unlucky with that chart unfortunately, it doesn't even mention if the tension is for the left or the right side spokes...
Rear drive side spokes and front spokes are tuned per the chart (assuming you're using rim brakes, I'm not sure what you do with discs). Non-drive rear spokes are as tight as they can be while keeping the rim centered; they're usually substantially lower tension.
Old 08-11-20, 03:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

the front disc hub wheel I built used same length spokes , but the disc side is dished .. a little tighter .
axle ends and rim symmetrical..
Old 08-11-20, 03:32 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
For the rear wheel, the drive side spokes are tensioned as per recommendation, then the non-drive side spokes are tensioned only as much as necessary to maintain a straight rim. I just slowly bring everything up to tension, a bit on the drive side and a bit on non-drive and repeat this until desired tension is reached. Good luck.
Old 08-13-20, 03:44 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Rear drive side spokes and front spokes are tuned per the chart (assuming you're using rim brakes, I'm not sure what you do with discs). Non-drive rear spokes are as tight as they can be while keeping the rim centered; they're usually substantially lower tension.
I haven't followed the chart (for now) as i wasn't confident enough to tell whether the pitch was the same (used an app called pitch pipe to generate the G)
but i managed to tension NDS spokes up to the point where plucking them gives a clear tone.
i hope that means they are tight enough. maybe that was my mistake on previous builds because i remember NDS spokes made a dull sound.

Originally Posted by berner
For the rear wheel, the drive side spokes are tensioned as per recommendation, then the non-drive side spokes are tensioned only as much as necessary to maintain a straight rim. I just slowly bring everything up to tension, a bit on the drive side and a bit on non-drive and repeat this until desired tension is reached. Good luck.
thanks berner , i think i'm satisfied with the tension finally: as everyone here seemed to agree, uniform tension was more important than overall tension and it has been actually the hardest part (to even it out on both sides) and my mistake must have been to not insist on bringing NDS tension to a level where i can pluck the spokes and clearly hear pitch variation. A small rear derailleur overhaul to finish and we'll see how the wheel behaves, thanks again for taking your time to help out
Old 08-14-20, 09:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To do ANY job right use the proper tools. If you are building a wheel you need a truing stand and an tension meter.

As an aside to this I worked in the computer industry, and had to go out COUNTLESS times because the other techs were NOT using the proper tool for the job.
Old 08-14-20, 11:41 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
i am a jazz guitarist and repair guitars. I could tension a wheel by ear completely but I use a Park Tension meter. It works well and it also tells me my ear is still very good. The pitch of the DS and NDS are different but they all should be close. I would have to say the a 16 or 20 spoke rim is a bit more work and I have only done a 20 radial front. Lower spoke count you want more confident numbers.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 08-14-20, 03:35 PM
eddy m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers

i've tried that method, but each time i finish a tensioning round the wheel gets out of true, so i keep repeating that process until the spokes become really tight. I haven't noticed that special moment where the wheel becomes particularly deformed. am i doing something wrong
You're not doing anything wrong. Jobst preferred wheels that were common 50 years ago, with 36 spokes and very light rims. You could barely get enough tension in all those spokes before the rim deformed. With modern heavier deep section rims with fewer spokes, the nipples are more likely to pull out than the rim is to deform. Jobst's method is obsolete.

em
Old 08-14-20, 03:43 PM
eddy m

I always measure tension. Most of my wheels have been 10 speed rears with 28 or fewer spokes. There really isn't much margin for error in a wheel like that. There's just not much difference between too loose to prevent the nipple from unscrewing and tight enough to break the rim. Keeping a record of the tension also assures me that my wheels are stable.

em
Old 08-16-20, 06:08 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by rydabent
To do ANY job right use the proper tools. If you are building a wheel you need a truing stand and an tension meter.

As an aside to this I worked in the computer industry, and had to go out COUNTLESS times because the other techs were NOT using the proper tool for the job.
i've no access to these tools so i use my bicycle frame and my fingernails. i'm sure building a wheel using those tools is much easier but my experience has been pretty educational

Originally Posted by deacon mark
i am a jazz guitarist and repair guitars. I could tension a wheel by ear completely but I use a Park Tension meter. It works well and it also tells me my ear is still very good. The pitch of the DS and NDS are different but they all should be close. I would have to say the a 16 or 20 spoke rim is a bit more work and I have only done a 20 radial front. Lower spoke count you want more confident numbers.
Thank god i'm riding vintage 36h hubs. you said DS and NDS spokes should have a different but close pitch... what do you mean ? it's really hard to bring NDS spokes to a high tension without excessive tension on the DS.
Originally Posted by eddy m
You're not doing anything wrong. Jobst preferred wheels that were common 50 years ago, with 36 spokes and very light rims. You could barely get enough tension in all those spokes before the rim deformed. With modern heavier deep section rims with fewer spokes, the nipples are more likely to pull out than the rim is to deform. Jobst's method is obsolete.
I haven't thought about it that way... good insight !
But how do you explain then the same method in Musson's book?
I have aluminum 36hole rims, with a square profile, and they didn't taco that much.
In the end i guess tension is not that fussy, it has to be just tight and my previous builds' mistakes might have been loose NDS or uneven tensioning. Musson says the cracks appear because of overinflated tires and spokes fail because of loose tensioning, which could happen when spokes are not evenly tensioned..
Old 08-19-20, 11:43 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts

This would be to much tension 😉
Old 08-20-20, 12:16 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I fall into the camp that thinks if you're building a wheel for money you absolutely should be using a tensiometer to set a reasonably precise average tension. That said, with the relatively wide range of reasonably performing tension values on a conventionally spoked wheel, Musson's general advise to tension until the (appropriately lubricated) nipples become somewhat difficult to turn will probably put you in the ballpark. Do absolutely use plucked spoke tone to make sure that tension is even, however--if you just true to a reasonable dimensional tolerance you can end up with pretty wildly uneven tension. Aside from that, a tensiometer is the only reasonable way to be precise about absolute tension.
Old 08-20-20, 06:05 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
So my question is : How would you describe the feel of a wheel when it's properly tensioned ? What's the general idea describing a well tensioned wheel ? What signs tell you the wheel is just fine ?[/QUOTE]

I find that simply squeezing two neighbouring spokes together on various new/maintained wheels gives me a good idea of the tension required. It really comes down to feel and methodical perseverance to true and tension a wheel by ‘instinct’.
There is little doubt that with the correct components one can build a good wheel successfully every time.

I am somewhat oldskool so please do not flame me!
Old 08-20-20, 08:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
The easiest way to reduce the likelihood of rim damage from excessive spoke tension is to use thin butted spokes. DT used to (and might still) refer to 2.0 straight-gauge spokes as "tandem" spokes, meant for use with robust rims only. If there's a downside to the use of thin butted spokes, I haven't yet encountered it.

Best practice: use moderately light butted spokes for front wheels and on the drive side of rear wheels and very light butted spokes for the non-drive side.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-20-20, 08:35 AM
eddy m

The rim is definitely the limiting factor for spoke tension. TOo much tension and either the rim will fold in comression or the spokes will pull oout of the rim. Unfortunately, rim manufacturers never publish maximum tension specifications.
Back in the day we used to 36 spoke wheels with very light rimes and very light spokes. Quality control then wasn't what it is now, so we broke a lot of spokes, which we usually replaced with 2mm straight gauge. The straight gauge spoke couldn't be tensioned enough to prevent the nipple from unscrewing, so the wheel became unstable. Modern wheels are way better.

em
Old 08-20-20, 08:36 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I've built a few wheels, maybe a couple of dozen over the years, 'cutting my teen's with Jobt's book about 35 - 40 years ago. Just rebuilt one on Monday to replace a front wheel on our tandem that I crushed in a pothole the day before.

I have built them exclusively by 'feel' and have never had a problem. Rarely even having to re-true after riding. Now, does that mean I'm some kind of expert or a wheel building artist? Nope.

I think it means that as long as all the spokes are 'reasonably' tensioned, that you follow good wheel building technique, and the wheel is de-stressed and true, that there is a fairly wide range of builds that will result in an acceptable wheel that will last for years.

Under tensioning spokes is the killer of wheels. Better to make the spokes a 1/2 turn too tight than a 1/2 turn too loose.

Having had good success 'by feel' doesn't mean that I would not use a spoke tension meter. I'm just sort of cheap and didn't want to spend $90+ for one. But seeing one on Amazon for $30, that excuse is now gone. It may not be as accurate as the Park tool for showing actual tension, but as long it can consistently show 'relative' tension, that's good enough for me.

Building a wheel by feel does involve a certain amount of plucking to listen to the tone of each spoke (again, for relative tension). I was interested in seeing Sheldon's table of notes for various spoke lengths and gauges. I don't think that table takes into account how the wheel is built, (2X or 3X, etc., which is essentially like fretting a guitar string). I would love to see an app developed that you could input all the relevant data and come up with a frequency that you could check with your phone.
Old 08-20-20, 12:00 PM
eddy m

Originally Posted by joeruge
I would love to see an app developed that you could input all the relevant data and come up with a frequency that you could check with your phone.
You can calculate the frequency/tension relationship easily enough. After that a guitar tuner app should work.

em
Old 08-22-20, 01:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
It has been a while since I said I'd get back to y'all. Been busy.

Anyway, I've checking of and correcting my builds with the tension meter.

In some cases, I nearly got it perfect. In other cases, I was way off.

You can't use the times I was nearly perfect as an example, since the wheels were just as straight and I couldn't really tell they were evenly tensioned or not.

So this is definitely an argument for using a tension meter. It's a little tedious though.

So yeah, if I was in the middle of nowhere with few resources, I still feel like I could build a great wheel with just the frame and spoke wrench. However, I definitely feel better about my wheels after this project. I really haven't noticed any difference in ride quality.
Old 08-24-20, 09:46 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
In his book Gerd Schraener, a professional wheel builder, said he was surprised that he could do a better job of tensioning a wheel accurately with a tensiometer.
In a similar vein, when gyroscope-driven artificial horizons and turn-and-bank indicators were introduced for aircraft, seasoned pilots insisted that the instruments must be faulty because they showed the airplane turning or flying upside down every time they flew into clouds...
Old 08-24-20, 10:04 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The easiest way to reduce the likelihood of rim damage from excessive spoke tension is to use thin butted spokes. DT used to (and might still) refer to 2.0 straight-gauge spokes as "tandem" spokes, meant for use with robust rims only. If there's a downside to the use of thin butted spokes, I haven't yet encountered it.

Best practice: use moderately light butted spokes for front wheels and on the drive side of rear wheels and very light butted spokes for the non-drive side.
DB spokes are better than straight-gauge on tandems just as they are everywhere else.
Old 08-24-20, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

My built I used 2 mm straight , because I had to buy 90 of them 40 f, 48 r & a spare or 2..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.