Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Finally! (?)

Old 05-24-20, 10:29 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Read thru the thread and congrats. I am celebrating a bit,I finally hit 218 from a high of 268.
Good for you on your weight loss. I'm down from 282lbs to 234lbs where I've been stuck for a while. Still working on it.
Old 05-24-20, 10:37 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
You are doing a great job of losing weight and keeping it off. After closer reading of your entries I note that you seem to have a problem finding safe places to ride. All of us have this problem to some degree. You have heavy traffic which I have. Our county gives us a 4" white line to role on with cars doing 50-60mph a foot away from you on our county levee roads. Some roads are very lightly trafficked but others are death traps. Safe places to ride are very hard to come by sometimes. Stay safe and keep riding those good looking bikes of yours.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 06-09-20, 05:28 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
So I think the 'Dale is gonna be donating parts to the old SR, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.
I put a few more laps on the Dale, and ended up with some hand pain that I'd noticed before... but hadn't solidly connected with this bike until today. The frame's a bit small, and it'll take more parts swapping than I care to do to get it 'right'. No worries, though. The only real purpose of that bike was to fit the Atlas wheels while I was uber heavy, and later I figured I'd use it for sloppy weather.
My Montague will do this just fine, and also fits in the trunk of my Hyundai. I moved the Ergon grips over to the Paratrooper and may just use the drivetrain and cockpit from the M500 on my 'new' old Dale road bike... make it a flat bar roadie.
Old 06-15-20, 08:34 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Milestone!
Did my first 50+ mile day (51.5) today, first one in about 15 years.

Also, I guess I like the spunky little M500 enough that I'm playing with stem/bar ideas to get it more in line.
I had a setback seatpost on Count Trekula (the 1200 I built), which is unnecessary on that bike, as it's a 63cm frame, so I swapped posts between it and the 'Dale.
Getting a stem with a bit more rise, and found a riser bar in my parts pile. If that works out ( I think it should), I might even spring for something like a Jones bar... or one of the less expensive alternatives.
Likes For velojym:
Old 06-15-20, 10:43 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Milestone!
Did my first 50+ mile day (51.5) today, first one in about 15 years.

Also, I guess I like the spunky little M500 enough that I'm playing with stem/bar ideas to get it more in line.
I had a setback seatpost on Count Trekula (the 1200 I built), which is unnecessary on that bike, as it's a 63cm frame, so I swapped posts between it and the 'Dale.
Getting a stem with a bit more rise, and found a riser bar in my parts pile. If that works out ( I think it should), I might even spring for something like a Jones bar... or one of the less expensive alternatives.
Congrats on the 50+ ride. That is a big achievement.
I'm always tweeking my bikes to get the right feel. I recently found a crack on one of my bikes and that bike was one of my favorite bikes with a triple crank. My other bikes with triples I just don't like the feel. Two have flat bars (I just don't like flat bars) and the other is my touring bike and it needs to be tweeked to fit better to be more comfortable.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 06-15-20 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 10:19 AM
velojym

Took ol'Jake for a 23 mile ride this morning. I've been most nervous about riding Jake for some reason, probably due to our awesome history. We went together like peas n carrots though. Felt great, though I kept my effort "moderate" today. I think I may shoot for the 500 mile level on this year's Trek century challenge on strava

gawd I love this old bike. 😎

Last edited by velojym; 06-29-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 08:57 AM
velojym

Adding another "Finally!" to Finally!
Over the last couple weeks, the wife has been starting to ride her bike again. It's a Trek 1000 I bought her when we were dating, almost 20 years ago. She didn't put on the sort of miles I did, but was a pretty good rider all the same. We later moved to the Dallas area, and bought a tandem at Richardson Bike Mart... and proceeded to rock that town with our tandem awesomeness.
After that, you can read the story in earlier posts... married, kid, moves, still eating.... etc. etc. etc.

It's been about 15 years now since we rode the tandem, and I've been picking at it halfheartedly over the last year or so, trying to entice her into getting back on. I'm not sure exactly what inspired her to start riding over the last couple weeks, but I'll take the win. Rebuilt wheels, new tires, and a quick lube and adjust, and we were in the wind again this morning.
I have new cables and housing ready to install, and a cogset and chains on order, but this morning's ride was pretty good anyway.

Likes For velojym:
Old 07-12-20, 12:21 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Velojym, you are inspiring I gotta tell you...I'm gonna ride hard tomorrow and keep working on my goals as well! Thanks
Likes For Chad991:
Old 07-12-20, 02:39 PM
rlmalisz

Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
I've had my Trek 1420 forever...about 30 years. It's been on a couple Cycle Oregons, a couple STPs, various centuries, some fairly serious commuting. Probably 24 years ago, my weight started drifting up. Kept riding, but it got harder. Maxed out north of 350 (I'm 5'8", so that's a lot of max). Due to leg problems that developed on a SCUBA trip to the Solomons, my new-to-me PCP ran a full blood panel, and found I had the thyroid levels of a brick. Easy/cheap to medicate. Dropped 100 pounds over a year, and have stayed around 240-250 since. Still too much weight, and I lost it too late to save me from needing robo-knees, but a huge improvement. The 1420 and I get in about 200 miles/month during riding season. Not a ton, but not bad for a fat old guy (66.5).

Back during my climbing-weight years, I kept popping spokes, especially rear freewheel side, as you'd expect. I'd done a few years in my youth as a bike mechanic, but was never a whiz at wheel-building, truing. Guy at the (great) local bike shop suggested we try using a tandem rim for the back. It increases the bike's weight, but not by much. Shorter spokes, much stouter rim. I've not broken a spoke on that wheel in over five years. Was so happy I had them build me a second rear wheel to match, so if I do clobber something and pop multiple spokes or dent a rim, I just have to move the cassette and rubber over, and drop the bunged up wheel at the shop. YMMV, but for me, this really reduced my down time as a somewhat portly saddle tramp.

--Richard
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 07-12-20, 02:42 PM
rlmalisz

Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
This approach means I need long-stem tubes for the back, as the tandem rims have *deep* channels. Rather than have some short and some long, I just use long for both wheels, which gets the front wheel some funny looks at times. Not too concerned, as I get funny looks myself.

--Richard
Old 07-12-20, 03:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by rlmalisz
somewhat portly saddle tramp
That's an amusing turn of phrase -- describes me too!
Old 07-13-20, 05:37 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
This approach means I need long-stem tubes for the back, as the tandem rims have *deep* channels. Rather than have some short and some long, I just use long for both wheels, which gets the front wheel some funny looks at times. Not too concerned, as I get funny looks myself.

--Richard
That reminds me... I just had the tandem wheels rebuilt, but the rear rim was still in very good shape. I may find a 40h 135mm hub and build it up for my Surly LHT.
Old 07-16-20, 06:49 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
I've gone from 351, a week ago, to 344.6 this morning. I know, just starting out, this isn't that big a deal, but it's a start. I'll ride when I can, but I need to get some longer exercise sessions than I can manage on a bike right now.
Dude, that's huge. That's about the maximum weight you want to loose in a week. Keep going! BTW, a friend of mine does obesity research at the NIH. He's very very good (Dr. Kevin Hall). One key finding of his research is aligned with what your're doing: changing diet. He found that ultra-low fat and ultra-low carb diets were about equally effective. The big key is avoiding ultrarefined foods. Big gulps, soda pop, refined sugar, candy, cookies, cake, breads, etc, If you can swing it, fill up on delicious veggies. A big salad, with a small helping of steak or fish, maybe some broccoli or asparagus, and limited potatoes or rice. Hydrate. Exercise some every day. And next week you'll have another 5-8 lbs!

It's summer. Tomatoes are great. An ear of sweet corn is gonna be better than a candy bar!

Here's a pic of a recent feast I made for myself (alas, Mrs Wizard is out of town, and with Covid, no one to share it with, so you guys get to see it). I went overboard on booze and cheese and pate, but the corn and salmon were great. The salad was watermelon, kale, feta and mint. Da Bomb. (The cocktail was a modified vodka gimlet, with cucumber and basil mulled in - truly fantastic).

Point is, this meal would have been great WITHOUT the booze and appetizers. And my salad, corn, and salmon intake left me full and I didn't make much of a dent in the cheese plate Would have consumed LESS if the cheese plate hadn't even been there. (That's a technique hint).

Old 07-16-20, 08:48 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Ah, a zombie thread. Sorry guys and gals. Enjoy the pic anyway.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-17-20, 09:41 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Ah, a zombie thread. Sorry guys and gals. Enjoy the pic anyway.
Yweah, buttttt, it's a very active zombie thread!
Old 07-17-20, 06:10 PM
velojym

Zombie? Naw... I just don't keep up with things as well as some do.
Old 07-24-20, 10:38 PM
velojym

Turned 50 today, so rode 50 miles to celebrate.

I'd gone 4 days without riding, and was getting kinda grumpy. I'm feeling much better now.
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-25-20, 10:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
I also recently turned 50, and although I did happen to go on a 68mi ride with friends today, back on my birthday I did 20mi of dirt on Friday and 30mi of road on Saturday. Easier than all at once.

On today's ride, I was hoping to hit 50mph going downhill (North) on the Torrey Pines Grade, but there was WAY too much headwind and I only got to 41. Probably the last chance in my life to ride my age in mph.

I'll give it another shot Aug or Sep during Santa Ana season, because there's a long and fairly steep hill near my house where I could benefit from a strong westbound tailwind.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-26-20, 03:12 PM
velojym

For my next trick...

I have clearance from the wife (who is now riding her bike some, and making progress!) to do the Natchez Trace this year.
I'm shooting for early October, and plan to start in Natchez, ending up the next weekend in Nashville.
Wife and daughter will drive me down to the start, and we'll spend the day checking out the area, then they'll see me off. The next weekend, will meet me in Nashville, to cap the week with a day there, and driving back to the 'real world' after.
I'm considering a new thread to cover this trip, if nothing gets in the way of it, anyway.
While, back in the day, I did a few overnight tours with the Arkansas Bicycle Club, in addition to a bunch of other event rides, I've never taken a "real" multi-day tour.
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-27-20, 10:21 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Adding another "Finally!" to Finally!
Over the last couple weeks, the wife has been starting to ride her bike again. It's a Trek 1000 I bought her when we were dating, almost 20 years ago. She didn't put on the sort of miles I did, but was a pretty good rider all the same. We later moved to the Dallas area, and bought a tandem at Richardson Bike Mart... and proceeded to rock that town with our tandem awesomeness.
After that, you can read the story in earlier posts... married, kid, moves, still eating.... etc. etc. etc.

It's been about 15 years now since we rode the tandem, and I've been picking at it halfheartedly over the last year or so, trying to entice her into getting back on. I'm not sure exactly what inspired her to start riding over the last couple weeks, but I'll take the win. Rebuilt wheels, new tires, and a quick lube and adjust, and we were in the wind again this morning.
I have new cables and housing ready to install, and a cogset and chains on order, but this morning's ride was pretty good anyway.

Brother, this pic makes me happy for you!!!

Happy belated Birthday!

Damn, I need to ride...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 07-30-20, 09:00 PM
velojym

Impulse buy, but I was looking for a 'real' MTB anyway, so I'll just have to build it.

Because... TWINSIES!!!

Likes For velojym:
Old 12-21-20, 01:02 PM
velojym

Just an updated pic. I'm holding pretty steady on weight, but I've been putting on some muscle.

Likes For velojym:
Old 12-27-20, 12:55 PM
kbar1982

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey 1x12 27.5x3, Diamondback Haanjo Metro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
OMGosh!!!!! I started at the beginning of this thread, and I can't tell you how awesome this picture is. I read the just of your story, and skimmed down through the last two years of this thread, the whole way hoping that you had made it, I definitely say that you have, and then some!!!! Dude you are incredible, you give me hope and encouragement, thank you for being so public and honest with your journey.
Likes For kbar1982:
Old 10-12-21, 09:29 PM
velojym

I can't believe it's been this long since I visited this thread! As I mentioned before, sometimes I'm not so good at keeping up with stuff.
In the months since, I've done a few metric centuries (Tour de Cahaba was the toughest, even had some categorized climbs), and ridden with BamaRando a couple times.
My planned Natchez Trace ride didn't happen. My older brother wanted to come ride with me, so I told him what he needed to do (ride, and ride some more), but I noticed on Strava that he wasn't doing nearly enough, so I graciously reduced the ride to a 3 day Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet round trip.
As time drew nearer, I worried about his ability to do even that, having watched his few-and-far-between rides on Strava. He arrived, packed into a minivan with Mom and Dad (who decided they wanted to come along, and split the gas), with no room for his bike.
So, we ended up just riding to Piedmont and back to Anniston, not quite 40 miles total. I guess at least we rode, but it was a huge step down from Natchez Trace. I loaned him my Paratrooper, as it was the only bike I had that I could adjust to fit him.

Tour de Taco got canceled again, so maybe next year. I'll be working on breaking out of the metric century now, and maybe I'll get in a full C within a few months. I'm also planning to revisit the Ladiga/Comet out and back as a solo trip, with Natchez Trace sometime in the future. I have Jake pretty much dialed in now, though I haven't done the groupset upgrade I talked about before. Stuff is working fine as-is, so I'm not gonna worry about it right now.

I did pick up another "fast" bike after selling the Domane to my brother: a Kona Zing Supreme frame I built up with a new 105 groupset. It's Super Zingy!
Likes For velojym: