Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 08-03-18, 08:13 AM
  #7526  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Thanks!
... In general, I've been noticing a lot more red light runners lately so I've been trying to stay away as far from cars as possible.
I've been seeing it too, mostly recently at the controlled intersections between the Minuteman and Bedford Street and Hartwell Avenue, both in Lexington. In the Hartwell Ave. case, the driver sailed through while accelerating, a full second and a half after she got the red light. This earned her a catcall from the large bearded cyclist who fortunately saw her coming, hearing which she accelerated further.

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-03-18, 10:20 AM
  #7527  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
saw my 89 yr old Mom cpl weeks ago for a family wedding. while I was driving her & my 91 yr old Dad to the reception, I cautiously stopped at a red light, when a judgement call might have encouraged someone else to go thru the tail end of the yellow light & possibly the red. & my Mom says, no lie: "I heard recently that according to the law, if you are one of the first four cars thru a red light, it's OK". I told her that was not correct at all! last night my Dad called to me to say "stop telling your mother she can go thru red lights". I told him that wasn't me but didn't go thru the whole conversation I had with both of them a cpl weeks ago. then Dad tells me she recently got a citation for going thru a red light. I asked when & he said when they were out buying him pants for the wedding. I'm telling you, they are losing it! I already took his '94 Camry from him last summer. might be time to take Mom's '03 Camry too. besides the '94 is acting up.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-03-18, 03:09 PM
  #7528  
NomarsGirl
Senior Member
 
NomarsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Easton, MA
Posts: 534

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
I'm telling you, they are losing it! I already took his '94 Camry from him last summer. might be time to take Mom's '03 Camry too. besides the '94 is acting up.
It can be hard dealing with aging parents. Making the decision to take the car away is hardest of all because you know you're taking their freedom with it. (And committing to driving them where they need to go).

Mom doesn't argue with me and lets me drive her. She even allows her grandchildren to drive her. (That shocked me because she wouldn't let me drive her until I was 40). Dad fought it the whole way.
NomarsGirl is offline  
Old 08-03-18, 09:59 PM
  #7529  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Rode East on Friday.


It was a day that felt a little hotter than it might have, and much of my route took me on asphalt with little in the way of shade, real urban heat-island stuff. I was impressed by how much of a difference the presence or absence of clouds made. When they blocked the sun, the effect was immediate. Breezes were good, too, when they could be had, even the land breeze that acted as a headwind for much of my return.










I was on the LHT, equipped with 44 mm (measured closer to 42 last I checked) Compass Snoqualmie Pass Extralights, just the thing for making the least of broken pavement and unseen potholes. Got some good hill climbing and fast descents in Medford and Melrose. Thought of Jimmie Rodgers at one point; although West Medford is not 1000 miles away from home (more like 1000 yards), I was definitely waiting for a train.


rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-03-18 at 10:05 PM.
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-04-18, 12:23 PM
  #7530  
sherbornpeddler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sherbornpeddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
The photography here is amazing. Clouds and trains have similarities when the photography is so amazing.
No pictures here but I was moving slower than the clouds or trains two days ago when I set out to ride a favorite clover leaf kind of ride Sherborn Dover Westwood Dover Medfield Dover Sherborn. It was hot and humid enough for me to stop a few times. Stopping in the shade the caterpillars missed wasn’t going to cool me off but did pause the heating up. I brought three water bottles; two for drinking and the third for drizzling through my helmet, over my head, down my neck to my back. I was as interested in the route the water took as my bike route which I took as a sign to shorten the ride and waft my way through a 2 leaf clover 30 mile route.

An overdue update on that cloverleaf pavement is Westfield and Summer St. in Westwood are smooth as glass with new asphalt. The culvert on Wilsondale in Dover is rebuilt but has a small new pavement bump. Dover to Medfield Pine St is awesome and North St in Medfield and Forest by Farm in Sherborn are also new smooth.
sherbornpeddler is offline  
Old 08-04-18, 11:07 PM
  #7531  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Took the Trucker DeLuxe out for a spin up to Lexington Center and back, after the storms and before dinner. Everything was freshly washed. However, there were signs and portents.

The first sign (or perhaps portent) was the appearance of yet another species of dockless bikeshare in the Uncle Sam park in Arlington Center.



This made me wonder: is this vendor part of the compact with MAPC and the various towns trying to organize a regional capability? Have they talked to the planners in the Town of Arlington who are trying to make sense of this? Oh well, it had been left partially blocking a path so I moved it to a less rude position. Crikey, was it heavy! I briefly wondered if it was an E-bike, but a visit to their website advised me that all that gravitational coupling is by design: "Stronger and heavier bike body for better stability". Oh good. And it will probably discourage the bikes from climbing trees, the way some of their competitors' bikes are said to do. It also makes me wonder what ANTBIKEMIKE makes of this development. These Cambridge kids appear to be tone-deaf, at the very least. I understand the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" business model, having practiced it myself from time to time as a software engineer in an entrepreneurial environment, but how much forgiveness from how many quarters does anyone reasonably want to beg?

The second sign and/or portent was more portentous, if less bike-specific: an entirely too-familiar profile illuminated in a cloud.


The Gestalt Psychologists would patiently explain that when you see an image repeated enough times, you readily project it on any surface that presents itself. Personally, I preferred the image of Cthulu that appeared as rust in the bottom of a stainless steel mixing bowl that I left wet in the sink for too many days in a row, some years back.


Anyhow, the good thing about faces seen in clouds is that you seldom see them for long, and soon enough that cloud was presenting as Pagliacci, pointy hat and all (no pictures of that one). One clown or another...

Signs and portents aside, that storm had refreshed our little corner of the world.


I kept pedaling, and soon enough I was home.


Later, I ran over to Somerville to feed my son's cat.


rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-05-18 at 06:57 AM.
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 08:50 AM
  #7532  
NewATBikeComute
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boston-ish
Posts: 220

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 3 Posts
A friend and I, looking for new adventures, decided to ride the MM, since he had never ridden it, and I had done only part of it.

Started in Watertown on Saturday, around 8:30, road to Alewife and picked up the MM; rode to the Depot in Bedford. Some rain at that point felt good. Stopped at Ride Studio for coffee and coffee cake on the way out. The predictions of showers seemed to be for elsewhere, as it was humid but not threatening. Or was I being wistful?

Before reaching Bedford, it was raining, but so lightly that it felt good. Nothing could take away from new adventures, friendship, and a chance to stretch ones legs.

Started to pick up a bit, but the heavy canopy provided by the trees kept the worst off. Looking forward to a planned stop at Kickstand Cafe, and trying their Vietnamese spring rolls helped distract from the heavier precipitation that accompanied the breaks in the trees.

Heavier and heavier came the rain. Where was my packable rain gear? In my car of course. Always trying to keep my load as light as possible, but that was beyond foolish optimism.

Got to the Kickstand, warm beverage and food while under a tree that provided little more than the illusion of some protection, but food was excellent. Admitted to my friend that it was still a good ride, but the rain 'was taking some of the joy out of it'. He agreed.

Finished the ride, dried off with some borrowed towels, headed home.


A great day!

----------
Installed new crankset on my commuter today, about to take it for a test drive. Also a great day.
NewATBikeComute is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 10:18 AM
  #7533  
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?
 
jimmuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston-ish, MA
Posts: 13,270

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute View Post
A friend and I, looking for new adventures, decided to ride the MM, since he had never ridden it, and I had done only part of it.
....
A great day!
Nice report. It does sound like a good day.

We expected company from late morning on so I took the Masi out early, maybe 8AM over to the MM and then westward. Of course ankuweather was predicting a storm in 90 minutes so I told myself I would turn around at either Lexington or 8:30 which came first. I turned around at the Bike Stop at 8:35. Made it maybe a mile from home when the rear tire went PFfft pfft pfft fft fft. Okay, do I take the time to swap on another sewup or trust the Stan's Tire Seal I had put in, pump it up and ride? I chose the latter. Got maybe a quarter of a mile, decided to pump it up again. Stopped, pumped, listened. This time it wasn't making so much hissing noise. As I was pumping a guy in a car stopped, asked if I was okay. Then he complimented the bike and said he wanted to pull over and talk. He introduced himself with a slight Italian accent, a definitely Italian name, said he used to work at Farina's Bike Shop in Watertown, the same place that also sells lawnmowers. He rides a Raleigh Pro so we talked about old bike as I pumped. It was a neat chance meeting. Eventually I packed up as the sky was darkening steadily. I made it home about 9:30, with 15 minutes to spare before the rain started.
__________________
Real cyclists use toe clips.
With great bikes comes great responsibility.
jimmuller
jimmuller is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 10:43 AM
  #7534  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
Nice report. It does sound like a good day.

We expected company from late morning on so I took the Masi out early, maybe 8AM over to the MM and then westward. Of course ankuweather was predicting a storm in 90 minutes so I told myself I would turn around at either Lexington or 8:30 which came first. I turned around at the Bike Stop at 8:35. Made it maybe a mile from home when the rear tire went PFfft pfft pfft fft fft. Okay, do I take the time to swap on another sewup or trust the Stan's Tire Seal I had put in, pump it up and ride? I chose the latter. Got maybe a quarter of a mile, decided to pump it up again. Stopped, pumped, listened. This time it wasn't making so much hissing noise. As I was pumping a guy in a car stopped, asked if I was okay. Then he complimented the bike and said he wanted to pull over and talk. He introduced himself with a slight Italian accent, a definitely Italian name, said he used to work at Farina's Bike Shop in Watertown, the same place that also sells lawnmowers. He rides a Raleigh Pro so we talked about old bike as I pumped. It was a neat chance meeting. Eventually I packed up as the sky was darkening steadily. I made it home about 9:30, with 15 minutes to spare before the rain started.
I could be wrong, but I believe in a previous epoch ('70s), Farina's also repaired Fiats. I had my Fiat 128 in there once or twice; they did good work.

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 02:05 PM
  #7535  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 154 Posts
I had to take the kids to the grandparents this weekend, so of course I brought my trusty Smoothie along. It's 21 pounds of steely plushness and my casual Joie de vivre approach ensured that nobody's Strava KOM's were threatened by me today. I covered the Old Colony trail first and from the rotary on the trail I rejoined the CCRT. As I approached Nickerson State Park I suddenly realized that today was the PMC. it got a little crowded for a few miles, their route parted with the CCRT but rejoined it later. The return trip was a bit white nuckled as I was relegated to a 6" patch of asphalt while pacelines raced each other. I have the phrase "bike up" stuck in my head, a testament to the alertness of so many riders experienced with groups. I breathed easy once I was past them for good. when all was said and done I rode 62 miles.

I also brought and left 4 fully packed panniers for this weeks ride on my 520. 5 days 4 nights. I won't need the panniers or their contents for that 100 mile slog from Waltham to Mashpee so I figured I'd cheat and pre position them for my arrival tomorrow afternoon!
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 02:17 PM
  #7536  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
I had to take the kids to the grandparents this weekend, so of course I brought my trusty Smoothie along. It's 21 pounds of steely plushness and my casual Joie de vivre approach ensured that nobody's Strava KOM's were threatened by me today. I covered the Old Colony trail first and from the rotary on the trail I rejoined the CCRT. As I approached Nickerson State Park I suddenly realized that today was the PMC. it got a little crowded for a few miles, their route parted with the CCRT but rejoined it later. The return trip was a bit white nuckled as I was relegated to a 6" patch of asphalt while pacelines raced each other. I have the phrase "bike up" stuck in my head, a testament to the alertness of so many riders experienced with groups. I breathed easy once I was past them for good. when all was said and done I rode 62 miles.

I also brought and left 4 fully packed panniers for this weeks ride on my 520. 5 days 4 nights. I won't need the panniers or their contents for that 100 mile slog from Waltham to Mashpee so I figured I'd cheat and pre position them for my arrival tomorrow afternoon!
Sounds like quite a ride you have set up, looking forward to hearing about it.

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 03:22 PM
  #7537  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,363

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
Sounds like quite a ride you have set up, looking forward to hearing about it.

rod
Iíll start with the mostly unloaded 520. The only things in the panniers is my Hiplock and tool/patch kit pouch. They could easily fit in one pannier but I like the balanced look of both instead of just one. Theyíll get swapped with the loaded Ortliebs and stay there until my next visit. The handlebar bag will contain granola bars, Gu, phone and sunblock. I was contemplating pre positioning the 520 and riding the Smoothie for day 1 but I donít know when Iíll be back down to get the bike. Instead Iíll just suck it up and ride the heavy 520 but at least itís 25 lbs lighter without the panniers! Tuesday Iíll ride from Mashpee to the Shining Sea path to the ferry terminal for a 2 night stay at the campground on the Vineyard. Thursday Iíll take the ferry to Hyannis and ride to Nickerson where Iíll spend the night before taking the Friday afternoon high speed ferry to Boston and then home. My goal is to rack up at least 50 miles each day after Mondayís haul which should be around 100.

The rest of the time will be spent in my beach chair (actually itís a lightweight camp chair) on the beach with a book and a carbonated beverage of choice


Ghazmh is offline  
Old 08-05-18, 03:42 PM
  #7538  
E53 
Chuggin' Along
 
E53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 123

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey Gazmh, that sounds like a blast, happy trails!
I rode my usual route on my Roubaix today minus the optional 5 extra miles by doing the Pantry road loop. It was just too hot!
E53 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 08:25 AM
  #7539  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
As I approached Nickerson State Park I suddenly realized that today was the PMC. it got a little crowded for a few miles, their route parted with the CCRT but rejoined it later. The return trip was a bit white nuckled as I was relegated to a 6" patch of asphalt while pacelines raced each other. I have the phrase "bike up" stuck in my head, a testament to the alertness of so many riders experienced with groups. I breathed easy once I was past them for good. when all was said and done I rode 62 miles.
Been there, sort of done that a few years ago. On the return, I bailed onto 6A and the center of Orleans Main Street to Main Street. Much less white knuckled, and rejoined the trail where the throngs were on the roads. BTW, it's not a race, but there are always a few "pacelines"....

Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
From Sunday morning, in the middle of a 37 mile early morning ride in the drizzle around the Cape, I heard some cheering off in the distance. Followed the cheering to across the street from Cape Code Sea Camps, where the campers (with homemade whale hats), lined Old Kings Highway (6A) in Brewster and cheered and cheered and cheered and cheered. Cowbells, Whistles, Clappers, even a few Vuvuzelas.

The smiles on the riders faces? Priceless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5toNpuIhpE

....

-mr. bill
-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 09:21 AM
  #7540  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
Been there, sort of done that a few years ago. On the return, I bailed onto 6A and the center of Orleans Main Street to Main Street. Much less white knuckled, and rejoined the trail where the throngs were on the roads. BTW, it's not a race, but there are always a few "pacelines"....



-mr. bill
The paceline factor has given me pause about signing up for the PMC. Never did learn to enjoy that culture, though I have an abstract appreciation for its biomechanical advantages.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-06-18 at 09:45 AM.
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 09:55 AM
  #7541  
mr_bill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,230
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
The paceline factor has given me pause about signing up for the PMC. Never did learn to enjoy that culture, though I have an abstract appreciation for it's biomechanical advantages.

rod
I'm a lone wolf. I rarely ride with others, and the few times I ride with others we are a small group of very good friends. Except for charity rides.
(Except in city traffic I'm riding in traffic, which once upon a time meant I was riding all alone, but no longer.)

The minimum fundraising has given me pause about signing up for the PMC. But I've done the BikeMS rides multiple years now (not this year, see mono).

There are very very few pacelines. Most are very well behaved, and they pass the masses on bikes safely.

Most importantly, *YOU* don't have to ride in any paceline.

Related, never had trouble with people who have aero bars. Everyone takes the admonishment to not use them in a group pretty seriously.

-mr. bill
mr_bill is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 10:04 AM
  #7542  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
I'm a lone wolf. I rarely ride with others, and the few times I ride with others we are a small group of very good friends. Except for charity rides.
(Except in city traffic I'm riding in traffic, which once upon a time meant I was riding all alone, but no longer.)

The minimum fundraising has given me pause about signing up for the PMC. But I've done the BikeMS rides multiple years now (not this year, see mono).

There are very very few pacelines. Most are very well behaved, and they pass the masses on bikes safely.

Most importantly, *YOU* don't have to ride in any paceline.

Related, never had trouble with people who have aero bars. Everyone takes the admonishment to not use them in a group pretty seriously.

-mr. bill
Thanks for the insights. "Lone wolf" pretty well covers the subject here, as well.

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 10:21 AM
  #7543  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler View Post
brought three water bottles; two for drinking and the third for drizzling through my helmet, over my head, down my neck to my back
the living legend returns! & what a great idea!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 10:26 AM
  #7544  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
got back on the Assabet extension to the Bruce Freeman Trail for a 34 mile round trip (Stowish to Lowell)

they haven't made any improvements to the poor bollards but just a few hundred feet from the one that snagged Wifey was this barrel over one of them. I think even Wifey wouldn't hit that!





the Northern entrance



I seem to have a knack for heading out too late in the day



the 4 miles on the road, between the two trails, weren't so bad, but then, it was a quiet summer Sunday night


Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-06-18 at 10:31 AM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 10:41 AM
  #7545  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
...
the 4 miles on the road, between the two trails, weren't so bad, but then, it was a quiet summer Sunday night

Connecting the Assabet River Rail Trail to the Bruce Freeman hadn't occurred to me. What roads do you use for that?

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 11:00 AM
  #7546  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
Connecting the Assabet River Rail Trail to the Bruce Freeman hadn't occurred to me. What roads do you use for that?
Route 27, it's right there at the S. Acton train station. then just turn right at 2A/119 until you see the big new bridge. there's an entrance ramp on the northbound side of 2A/119








Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-06-18 at 01:27 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 11:03 AM
  #7547  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
Route 27, it's right there at the S. Acton train station. then just turn right at 2A/119 until you see the big new bridge. there's an entrance ramp on the north side of 2A/119




Thanks!

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 11:49 AM
  #7548  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
The first sign (or perhaps portent) was the appearance of yet another species of dockless bikeshare in the Uncle Sam park in Arlington Center.


rod
That bike - or another of of the species - is now by the Ed Burns skating rink, a mile and a half west up the path as of this morning! You're right, they don't climb trees that well, but they surely do sink well.
I got a bike for my daughter, so now she's a proud occasional user of the bike path - propelling herself, for the most part (previously it was the stroller). Wife and I were walking her on the bike this weekend and saw LimeBikes everywhere, so many that I got tempted and downloaded the app to my phone, thinking I'll cycle next to my daughter instead of walking. But then, in typical toddler fashion, she refused to ride on the way back and that was that. But I still have the app, so I'm tempted to take one up some hills just for kicks.


Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
The Gestalt Psychologists would patiently explain that when you see an image repeated enough times, you readily project it on any surface that presents itself. Personally, I preferred the image of Cthulu that appeared as rust in the bottom of a stainless steel mixing bowl that I left wet in the sink for too many days in a row, some years back.


rod
You're looking at it wrong. It's just an upside-down happy high-five congratulating you on all the riding you've done in this heat

autonomy is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 11:57 AM
  #7549  
rholland1951
Senior Member
 
rholland1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
... You're right, they don't climb trees that well, but they surely do sink well.
Dockless submarine?

Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
... You're looking at it wrong. It's just an upside-down happy high-five congratulating you on all the riding you've done in this heat
Now I'm seeing a left-handed high-five with a pinch flat...

rod
rholland1951 is offline  
Old 08-06-18, 12:02 PM
  #7550  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 829

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute View Post
A friend and I, looking for new adventures, decided to ride the MM, since he had never ridden it, and I had done only part of it.

Started in Watertown on Saturday, around 8:30, road to Alewife and picked up the MM; rode to the Depot in Bedford. Some rain at that point felt good. Stopped at Ride Studio for coffee and coffee cake on the way out. The predictions of showers seemed to be for elsewhere, as it was humid but not threatening. Or was I being wistful?

Before reaching Bedford, it was raining, but so lightly that it felt good. Nothing could take away from new adventures, friendship, and a chance to stretch ones legs.

Started to pick up a bit, but the heavy canopy provided by the trees kept the worst off. Looking forward to a planned stop at Kickstand Cafe, and trying their Vietnamese spring rolls helped distract from the heavier precipitation that accompanied the breaks in the trees.

Heavier and heavier came the rain. Where was my packable rain gear? In my car of course. Always trying to keep my load as light as possible, but that was beyond foolish optimism.

Got to the Kickstand, warm beverage and food while under a tree that provided little more than the illusion of some protection, but food was excellent. Admitted to my friend that it was still a good ride, but the rain 'was taking some of the joy out of it'. He agreed.

Finished the ride, dried off with some borrowed towels, headed home.


A great day!

----------
Installed new crankset on my commuter today, about to take it for a test drive. Also a great day.
Kudos for going out in that weather and braving it (guess you had no choice...). Family and I went peach picking and we didn't bring the rain gear thinking 1. We'll make it before the rain starts 2. The gear won't do much in the heat/humidity as we'll just steam from the inside.
autonomy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.