Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 09-29-13, 06:54 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I actually pulled his last week's posts. Yeah, they were a bit annoying to some, perhaps, but I didn't see any ban-worthy behavior.

I'm guessing he had some unpleasant exchanges on the PM with a moderator.

Unfortunately the forum guidelines allow one to be blasted by whomever would like via PM, including mods, and if you make even a vague reference to it, it is a ban-worthy infraction.

If it had ever happen to me, I'd think it were terribly unfair. Thank goodness it has NEVER happened to me.

Having said that, I think the rules are unfair. It has never happened to me.

For what it's worth, and it's precious little, sreten's ban appeared to be unfair.

And I agree with my indignant brethren: if we wanted an Addiction thread, someone mould have started it by now.

Pub 51 meant well, but, not surprisingly, the topics trend towards alcohol consumption, and not everyone wants to participate.

Id like to start a thread called "Miscellany", where we discuss questions or observations that don't seem worthy of their own thread. I'd start it, but it don't want to see it merged with Pub 51.
Likewise, I had not noticed anything seemingly ban-worthy. (Hmmmmm....maybe a ban-worthy post was deleted by mods before I saw it........................................)
Regards..............

Last edited by JanMM; 09-29-13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 08:32 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
We normally don't comment on the reason for a member's banning, because it is between the member and the forum staff. Perhaps you are not aware that posts that get deleted by moderators don't show up on the member's profile anymore.

Pub 51 is the thread for miscellaneous chitchat. The name of the thread was tossed around a bit when the thread was started. It can be changed to "Miscellany" if enough people want it changed.
I know nothing...NOTHING!

Old 09-30-13, 07:55 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by CbadRider
Pub 51 is the thread for miscellaneous chitchat. The name of the thread was tossed around a bit when the thread was started. It can be changed to "Miscellany" if enough people want it changed.
Or, you could consider not micromanaging a group of grown-ups.

Just a thought

Old 09-30-13, 07:59 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
For what it's worth I would suggest changing the title to something more descriptive. When my wood-stacking post was moved I had no idea to where at first. Pub 51 meant absolutely nothing to me. Still can't understand why it was moved since I distinctly said in my OP that I would rather have been cycling. If that does not pertain to cycling what does? In any case I have only so much time and patience to post on any forum. Would rather be cycling.
Old 09-30-13, 12:17 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I spend quite a lot of time in real pubs. Great places where you can discuss anything, disagree with anyone and say stupid things. You can even insult people and get insulted back, then buy them a drink!

Never seen anyone banned except for fighting or extreme racism.

Perhaps the the mods ought to spend more time in pubs to see how they work - or change the thread name!
Old 09-30-13, 02:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I notice the statin warning thread also got moved.

I think it would help the mods if, instead of titling the thread "statin warning for all cyclists" it might be titled, "statin warning for cyclists 50 and over" - indicating to a mod that this is typically and usually a drug that is taken later in life, and that it is most important for 50+'rs to have access to this info.
Old 09-30-13, 02:45 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I notice the statin warning thread also got moved.

I think it would help the mods if, instead of titling the thread "statin warning for all cyclists" it might be titled, "statin warning for cyclists 50 and over" - indicating to a mod that this is typically and usually a drug that is taken later in life, and that it is most important for 50+'rs to have access to this info.
I think it got moved to P&R because someone started ranting about China.

Once again, I didn't think it was an appropriate move, but frankly the thread needed to die and moving it to P&R was an expedient way to do it. No one in their right mind goes over to P&R. I break out in hives just thinking about that forum.

Old 09-30-13, 02:55 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I think it got moved to P&R because someone started ranting about China.

Once again, I didn't think it was an appropriate move, but frankly the thread needed to die and moving it to P&R was an expedient way to do it. No one in their right mind goes over to P&R. I break out in hives just thinking about that forum.
OK, I was not aware of that. However, my point remains valid about indicating in the thread title that this is specifically aimed at 50+'rs. along with perhaps the first line in the text.

Like many, I really don't want the view of someone 16 on the issues that are important to me at 73; or, if I did, I would go to the 41 or Fixed for their opinions and reactions.
Old 10-10-13, 04:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Barkeep, I'll have a Jack Daniels please.

Make it a double . . . rough day.
Old 10-15-13, 01:55 PM
IceAce
Beer Knurd

Bikes: CIÖCC (1996 Mirage)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time in The Pub...

...I brought my own beer from Ritual Brewing and there's enough for everyone.

Can we switch the bigscreen over to the hockey game?

Kampai,

Ed
Old 10-15-13, 02:32 PM
Dudelsack 

My fantasy football team has dropped two in a row and prospects for next weekend don't look good. A bunch of overpaid underachievers if you ask me. I'll have a glass of sangria with my seafood enchilada, please.

Old 10-15-13, 03:29 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
I've been on the ESPN Pigskin Pickem spread leaderboard from week 4. Yeay Me ....... I was first for a few seconds this week.
This week I didn't pick Detroit and Buffalo again and only got 7/15.
Anybody else playing ??

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-15-13 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 07:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Barkeep, get these fine gentlemen who've joined me whatever they like, and put it on my tab.

Cheers gentlemen!
Old 10-31-13, 05:51 PM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diddlely Squat to do with riding.

As the title says this has diddlely squat to do with riding, just a little something to bring a smile to your face. The members of the group look like they could have been sourced from this group. Enjoy. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4990403852603
Old 10-31-13, 06:59 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
As the title says this has diddlely squat to do with riding, just a little something to bring a smile to your face. The members of the group look like they could have been sourced from this group. Enjoy. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4990403852603
so, which one are you?
Old 11-02-13, 09:32 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seventh from the right.
Old 11-21-13, 10:07 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
"All Is Lost" Movie - Warning: Intellectual Content

I saw this movie last week, it stuck with me. On the surface it's simply about an old guy on a sailboat adventure and lots of bad stuff happens. There is no narration or dialogue

But to me, there is a subtext about older guys that feel compelled to separate themselves from loved ones, and people generally, to find comfort or reassurance or self-awareness in some sort of solo trek. And, this, perhaps, is the connection to bike riding, like the solo tour or ultra event. Much like the romantic youtube videos of the 80 year old bicycling solo on endless treks. I read the movie as saying, you can expect it to end just one way. And, if you've seen the movie, the very last scene is this geezer's election, realization that he needs to reconnect.

I just thought its a haunting movie, perhaps restating a theme or a variant Redford (& Pollack) delivered before Jeramiah Johnson. I watched an interview with J.C. Chandor and it seemed obvious to me that he invited the viewer to go deeper and examine what this story is actually about.

Anyway, anyone have any takes on the movie? Do you see a little of yourself in Redford's character?

Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-21-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:21 AM
Dudelsack 

Wow. Great post.

I've not seen the movie, but I've had this wanderlust involving taking long-diistance bike touring. I think I'd like to get out from under all demands other than physical existence for awhile.

Of course, I don't dream about waking up in 35F weather, or riding in the rain, or being bone-tired after the third day.

I also don't think about rotator cuff injuries or sudden diarrheal illnesses when you're 100 miles from the nearest town.

Old 11-21-13, 11:36 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw it. Thougt it was a refreshingly interesting take on life. Where movies often portray how usually, somehow, some way, with effort, diligence, persistence, resourcefulness, some luck, and help from others, mankind (or womankind) usually seems to prevail.
Well, you know, sometimes "life" just happens to people, just as in the movie, regardless of what you do. Sometimes, sadly, it just doesn't work out for you, even with all of the preparation, forethought, and opportunities to prevail.

I see myself in him as the "fighter" that he was; however, I don't see myself in him as how utterly non-vocal he was (to himself) for such a lonnnggg time before finally, crying/cussing out in extreme frustration. There would have been plenty of dialogue (of me talking and cussing to myself) at all that was going wrong. Oh well, you can't win every bike race, despite how fit you are
Old 11-21-13, 01:13 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've not seen this film but can sympathize with the topic. I seem to have an active hermit gene and am content to spend long periods alone either backpacking or sailing. Maybe 'hermit' is too strong a work. Maybe long meditative periods is more accurate, periods where I can live at my own pace. I have quit jobs that were in environments that were too fast paced. It may be it has to do with whether a person is predominately left or right brained, whether a person is mainly intuitive or analytical. Any way, I'm convinced us hermits gotta stick together - we need a union.
Old 11-21-13, 01:33 PM
macjager

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I've not seen this film but can sympathize with the topic. I seem to have an active hermit gene and am content to spend long periods alone either backpacking or sailing. Maybe 'hermit' is too strong a work. Maybe long meditative periods is more accurate, periods where I can live at my own pace. I have quit jobs that were in environments that were too fast paced. It may be it has to do with whether a person is predominately left or right brained, whether a person is mainly intuitive or analytical. Any way, I'm convinced us hermits gotta stick together - we need a union.
sort of like the hermit in "Life of Brian"...?
Old 11-21-13, 01:39 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I heard a review on NPR. I have not seen it, but you make some valid observations about the whole mid-like crisis thing. My wife accuses me of obsessing over bikes and nutrition. I do. I was never athletic in my youth, and now find myself living vicariously through my own inner child. I also got very heavy, and am down to 210 ish from a high of 305.

Obsessing about bikes, climbing and distance rides? You betcha! I live in fear of becoming an old fat man slipping into a grave one body part at a time from diabetes and such if I stop. It also gives me much needed alone time. I married fairly late in life, and do not miss everything about being alone. What I do miss is being the sole driver of my fate. Biking-she has a garage queen-gives me that.

I have decided to live until I die.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 11-21-13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 02:26 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
Old 11-21-13, 03:02 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Looks like a good movie. Don't know if it will measure up to Dead Calm for me though. I'm guessing Redford couldn't get Nicole Kidman to do another boat movie, so he turned it into a solo trip. And why not just do another remake of Old Man and the Sea? Maybe Redford didn't want to draw too fine a comparison between himself and two other, great, aging actors in Anthony Quinn and Spencer Tracy. More likely, he just didn't want to pay licensing fees to the Hemingway estate.

Another great "man at sea" movie is Life of Pi. I read the book when it first came out, and was thoroughly unimpressed. After my wife saw the movie on a plane and raved about it, we bought Pi on 3-D, DVD. Would that be DVDD? I thought it was brilliant, and much more poignant than the book.

The one I'm waiting to see made, and hopefully by James Franco before he gets too old, is Unbroken. Unbroken is the second major work, following Seabiscuit, by the amazing author Laura Hillenbrand. If you haven't read Unbroken, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-21-13, 09:02 PM
Dudelsack 

Another promising thread snuffed out for no reason, other than a mod could.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.