Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front pannier racks..I don't get it

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Front pannier racks..I don't get it

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 09:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
I may have misled you. The bag won't mount on the lowest horizontal bar. It mounts on the middle bar. See attached pictures.

Edit: I feel so self conscious about posting pictures of my bikes as they're never as clean as everyone elses...
Ha, that means you use the bikes!

Thank you for the pics. Are the bottom of your bags just not attached to anything then? Ortliebs have that movable bottom arm thing for locking the bottom of the bags into place...where do you hook that if not on the lowest horizontal bar?
Old 08-13-16, 09:36 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, that means you use the bikes!

Thank you for the pics. Are the bottom of your bags just not attached to anything then? Ortliebs have that movable bottom arm thing for locking the bottom of the bags into place...where do you hook that if not on the lowest horizontal bar?
I just threw the bag on for reference, it's my daughter's bag and is set up for the Tara rack on her bike. My bag is buried in a bin and I didn't feel like digging for it but yes it hooks nicely to the rack. The bottom horizontal bar is too high for the hook to clamp on so I clip it horizontally. The front rack that gives me grief is the Salsa Lowrider rack on the Vaya, I can't keep the lower hook on for anything, but that's another story.

edit: I spread the upper mounts on the bag so they fit tight on the rack and would reverse the lower clip on the bag so it hooks onto the rack. See pictures....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC037120002.JPG (87.3 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC037110001.JPG (86.6 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by edthesped; 08-13-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 10:36 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it more of a "mid-mount" then. That's still good IMO.
Old 08-16-16, 02:47 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cost of metal to create the Tubus Tara front rack: $5.
Consultancy fees to know which bits of metal to remove from traditional racks $125.00
Old 08-16-16, 06:47 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Cost of metal to create the Tubus Tara front rack: $5.
Consultancy fees to know which bits of metal to remove from traditional racks $125.00
My guess,

Material: $1.50 (carbon steel tube is around $0.70/lb for heavy wall seamed tubing)

Labor, (handling, fixturing, welding, paint, packaging etc...): 1/2 to 3/4 hr (I'm assuming these are run assembly style with bending done on a CNC type bender) No idea how automated the rest of process is though. Looking at the poor alignment and welds on the lower mounting tabs on my Logo Evo rack I'd guess it's done rather quickly by hand as the welds aren't that nice and the tab alignment wouldn't pass QC in our shop.

Assuming a $70/hr rate would put tubus' selling price at around $35 to $50. Add to that shipping and retail markup. I'm sure Asian hourly selling rates are much much lower and $70 may be a little low for EU???
Old 08-16-16, 06:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
FWIW, I have found the inexpensive low rider clones to be fine. Friends, family, and I have used ones from Nashbar and Performance and found them plenty adequate. I have not seen them on their sites lately though. Others have similar racks for under $20.
The inexpensive racks work but the more expensive racks off a lot in terms of load stability. Tubus racks do cost a lot...although you can get them from Rose Bikes for relatively cheap...but they are much stiffer than aluminum rod racks like the Nashbar, Performance or Blackburn racks. This reduces load sway a lot and results in a more stable ride for the bike.

They are also easier to install as their mounting hardware is a much better design than the flat metal stays used by most rack makers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-17-16, 09:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
My guess,

Material: $1.50 (carbon steel tube is around $0.70/lb for heavy wall seamed tubing)

Labor, (handling, fixturing, welding, paint, packaging etc...): 1/2 to 3/4 hr (I'm assuming these are run assembly style with bending done on a CNC type bender) No idea how automated the rest of process is though. Looking at the poor alignment and welds on the lower mounting tabs on my Logo Evo rack I'd guess it's done rather quickly by hand as the welds aren't that nice and the tab alignment wouldn't pass QC in our shop.

Assuming a $70/hr rate would put tubus' selling price at around $35 to $50. Add to that shipping and retail markup. I'm sure Asian hourly selling rates are much much lower and $70 may be a little low for EU???
Tara & Logo Evo are made from CroMo which is not carbon steel, right? OTOH it's a bit worrying to hear about sloppy welds & tab alignment though I suppose if tab alignment was bad they'd exchange it.
Old 08-18-16, 01:05 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Tara & Logo Evo are made from CroMo which is not carbon steel, right? OTOH it's a bit worrying to hear about sloppy welds & tab alignment though I suppose if tab alignment was bad they'd exchange it.
Not sure whether it's CrMo or not... If so chemistry will dictate price/lb, 1 1/4 Cr 1/2Mo runs around $2.30/lb in mill quantity heavy wall tubing, different weight brackets affect price a bit. I think Tubus advertises the weight at 1.1lb including hardware. I think material cost is still negligible but pushing material to $4.00 should cover it.

The Logo Evo came on a used bike that I purchased or I would have sent it back straight away. I used concave and convex brake washers to keep it flush to the frame before I pulled it and tossed it on the shelf. I'll try to snap some pictures over the weekend.
Old 08-18-16, 03:23 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

My guess,

The racks are made in Germany. So $70/hour rate is low and you have to include finishing and profit. A Tubus Logo Evo sells for about $150 in the US so the wholesale price is around $75 which isn't all that exorbitant given the quality I've found in the many Tubus racks I own. Given how rugged they are and how much better they carry the load than round aluminum racks do, they are worth the price.

If you look around and don't mind waiting, you can even find them for close to that $75 from Germany.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-19-16, 04:06 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I can't help with a definitive answer about the pricing, but I have used the fairly inexpensive Blackburn lowriders for years before switching to the Surly. I like the Surly for the extra room with the platform, the lowriders are lighter and keep the weight lower. I don't think it is good to skimp on price, the questions of stability and durability are more important to enjoying a a trouble free trip.

Marc
Old 08-19-16, 05:22 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The racks are made in Germany. So $70/hour rate is low and you have to include finishing and profit. A Tubus Logo Evo sells for about $150 in the US so the wholesale price is around $75 which isn't all that exorbitant given the quality I've found in the many Tubus racks I own. Given how rugged they are and how much better they carry the load than round aluminum racks do, they are worth the price.

If you look around and don't mind waiting, you can even find them for close to that $75 from Germany.
We build profit into our hourly selling rate... But I agree that $70 sounds low for Eu but is about right for the industry I'm in. Like material hourly rate fluctuates with market demand. I don't know the retail side at all but I'd guess a 15 to 30% markup on their end.
Old 08-19-16, 05:58 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

We build profit into our hourly selling rate... But I agree that $70 sounds low for Eu but is about right for the industry I'm in. Like material hourly rate fluctuates with market demand. I don't know the retail side at all but I'd guess a 15 to 30% markup on their end.
OP here..My only thought when I first posed the question was front rack cost in comparison to rear racks. Same materials, same labor**, same technology, and yet front racks are 4-7 times the price of rear racks.

**It seems one confounding issue may be that "good" front racks are made in EU (where the labor-skill may be the same as rear racks) and acceptably "good" rear racks come from Asia...with the difference being the labor rate..which is reflected in the retail price. The order from Germany option looks like the path to go.

(Of course there are still acceptable Asian-sourced front racks that are priced..high..compared to rear racks, but that may, in the end, be an "is what it is" thing.)
Old 08-19-16, 06:57 AM
cyccommute 

Just about all retail mark up for bicycle components and accessories is double the wholesale price. Bicycles have a much lower profit margin which is why bike shops sell other stuff.

Old 08-19-16, 07:01 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by fishboat
OP here..My only thought when I first posed the question was front rack cost in comparison to rear racks. Same materials, same labor**, same technology, and yet front racks are 4-7 times the price of rear racks.

**It seems one confounding issue may be that "good" front racks are made in EU (where the labor-skill may be the same as rear racks) and acceptably "good" rear racks come from Asia...with the difference being the labor rate..which is reflected in the retail price. The order from Germany option looks like the path to go.

(Of course there are still acceptable Asian-sourced front racks that are priced..high..compared to rear racks, but that may, in the end, be an "is what it is" thing.)

Front racks are less common than rear racks which adds to their cost. Fewer units are made so they don't experience the economies of scale that rear racks do. Many makers of rear racks don't even attempt to sell front racks because there is so little call for them.

Old 08-19-16, 07:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I looked at this pick and my immediate thought was- 'why on earth does he carry a mini fire extinguisher?'
Old 08-19-16, 07:47 AM
cyccommute 

I looked at this pick and my immediate thought was- 'why on earth does he carry a mini fire extinguisher?'
Damn you! Now I have coffee all over my keyboard and burns in my sinuses!

Old 08-19-16, 08:14 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
After looking at all my options, and considering that I'll be using a medium-sized handlebar bag to carry camera equipment, I think I'll be going with the Jandd Low Rider

I still like the idea of a top/above tire rack, but I'll need to see if I have room, or really need it(I suspect not..). If so..one of the Sunlite brake-boss racks may be fine.

Thanks to all for a good discussion..it helped quite a bit.
Old 08-19-16, 10:15 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

I get that from non-tourists, I wasn't expecting it here!

Marc
Old 08-19-16, 10:55 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'll take my chances on a lower spec rear rack, because if it fails, probably nothing catastrophic will happen. The front is a whole nother story. That could send you to the hospital or morgue. I went with Old Man Mountain for the front and Topeak for the rear. The OMM rack costs easily double (maybe even triple) of the cost of the rear rack, but it's worth it for the design and durability.
Old 08-19-16, 08:51 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by alan s
I'll take my chances on a lower spec rear rack, because if it fails, probably nothing catastrophic will happen. The front is a whole nother story. That could send you to the hospital or morgue. I went with Old Man Mountain for the front and Topeak for the rear. The OMM rack costs easily double (maybe even triple) of the cost of the rear rack, but it's worth it for the design and durability.
Never thought about that aspect but makes sense to me.

BTW I note that even int'l specialist Tubus doesn't AFAIK make a front-rack w/platform. Other companies' platform front-racks tend to be heavy. Low-riders work fine for most tourists but one would think Tubus would accommodate heavy-loaded expedition types that could use the extra space.
Old 08-20-16, 03:09 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't help with a definitive answer about the pricing, but I have used the fairly inexpensive Blackburn lowriders for years before switching to the Surly. I like the Surly for the extra room with the platform, the lowriders are lighter and keep the weight lower. I don't think it is good to skimp on price, the questions of stability and durability are more important to enjoying a a trouble free trip.

Marc
I couldn't imagine riding around with the horn of the seat up in my "stuff" like that; ouch!
Old 08-20-16, 03:45 AM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I couldn't imagine riding around with the horn of the seat up in my "stuff" like that; ouch!
You're probably not accustomed to the more upright position from the handlebars.

Marc
Old 08-20-16, 04:55 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're probably not accustomed to the more upright position from the handlebars.

Marc
Well, I suppose if I were in a leaned back position, but that wouldn't make sense. Any position other than leaned back and that horn would be in a place I would not want it that's for sure!
Old 08-20-16, 09:44 PM
DropBarFan

I'm amazed at some of the Brooks photos with saddles pointed up and/or heavily swayed saddles. OTOH some well-used Brooks get sit-bone indentations but don't seem to develop much sway. I can't argue with what folks find comfortable but IMHO the saddle shape shouldn't change drastically, otherwise why don't they make 'em swayed to begin with?
Old 08-20-16, 09:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I'm amazed at some of the Brooks photos with saddles pointed up and/or heavily swayed saddles. OTOH some well-used Brooks get sit-bone indentations but don't seem to develop much sway. I can't argue with what folks find comfortable but IMHO the saddle shape shouldn't change drastically, otherwise why don't they make 'em swayed to begin with?
Brooks saddles, when level, push you off the front. The nose is tilted to provide a hammock effect.
My leather brooks is set with the nose up...though not nearly as up as the one in the pic in this thread.
My brooks cambium which isnt leather is just a smidge pointed up. Its still a hammock style, but the material doesnt let you slide.

The saddles on my other bikes are all synthetic and they are all flat even because they arent desiged to be sat on like a hammock.

All my bikes except 1 mtb are drop bar. The brooks are both on drop bars and they are extremely comfortable saddles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.