Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Trailers?

Old 01-07-17, 04:32 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Trailers?

Looking for a good trailer for cargo. Any suggestions? I'd like it to be towable with multiple bikes..

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-17, 05:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've been using the Wike Heavy Duty Flatbed Trailer as my "car replacement" trailer for almost three years, and it's still going strong (I've used it in rain, snow, ice, etc.) I outfitted it with two storage totes and some bungee cords; for groceries etc. I put items in the totes, and for larger items I can just leave the totes at home. The trailer hitch is easy enough to install, but I purchased a second one so that I could have two bikes ready to roll with the trailer.

Only one tote on this trip, but here's a photo of the trailer in action (getting landscaping supplies):
Old 01-07-17, 05:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.
Old 01-07-17, 07:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've just been using one of the vintage Burley kid's trailers, open topped (but with side walls protecting the wheels and helping stack stuff). The chainstay/seatstay hitch stays with the trailer, and moves from one bike to another.

I prefer the frame around the wheels so I can snag both sides of the wheel. And, carry 100 lbs or so. Plus, the Burley hitch is more comfortable to pull than the spring hitches.

Another kid's trailer without the wrap-around support really starts bending at the wheels at around 100lbs or so.

Burley similar to this one, but more faded.

I did build a custom heavy-hauler that will only hitch to my cargo bike, but is capable of hauling about 500 lbs which is as much as I can tow.

Hauling a piece of plate glass, not the statue.
Old 01-07-17, 10:10 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

That second one kicks ass. Or at least it would kick mine.
Old 01-08-17, 08:00 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
If you haven't checked it out yet, this https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cy...er-thread.html
has a ton of good info and pics of trailers. I have always just re purposed child trailers to serve my cargo needs. A couple I have stripped down and attached a piece of plywood for a "flatbed". One I built pvc uprights on to carry my kayak at the time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any pics in my files.
Bruce
Old 01-08-17, 03:23 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
When I was car free, my Bob trailer was very useful, if not essential.

Scroll down to the Utility Forum as there are a number of posts about trailers there.
Old 01-08-17, 03:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
When I was car free, my Bob trailer was very useful, if not essential.

Scroll down to the Utility Forum as there are a number of posts about trailers there.
Thanks for the Idea.

I've been wanting to head out into town today.
But, not wanting to tow a regular trailer with snow ruts. Maybe I'll try the BOB.
Old 01-11-17, 01:20 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been using the Wike Heavy Duty Flatbed Trailer as my "car replacement" trailer for almost three years, and it's still going strong (I've used it in rain, snow, ice, etc.) I outfitted it with two storage totes and some bungee cords; for groceries etc. I put items in the totes, and for larger items I can just leave the totes at home. The trailer hitch is easy enough to install, but I purchased a second one so that I could have two bikes ready to roll with the trailer.

Only one tote on this trip, but here's a photo of the trailer in action (getting landscaping supplies):
This trailer looks pretty great, can you describe how the wheels attach and how impressed you are with the linkage to the bike? @wipekitty

Thanks
jbucky
https://www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-11-17, 09:09 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jbucky1
This trailer looks pretty great, can you describe how the wheels attach and how impressed you are with the linkage to the bike?
The wheels attach to trailer using a push button axle. I can't say that I'm entirely sure how it works - but it allows the wheels to be easily removed by pushing in the middle of the hub and pulling back. Could be useful for someone with limited storage space.

Linkage to the bike has been awesome - I've had no problems with the trailer coming loose or slipping around, even when hauling at capacity or on a single speed bike. The trailer is built to also accept an additional security strap, though I've never used one. I've also found it fairly easy to connect/disconnect the trailer, though the pin needed some grease after a few good winter rides.

As a final note, I like that all the moving parts on this trailer can be easily replaced. Overall, I'm very happy with this product and would recommend it as a "car replacement" trailer for those not handy enough to DIY. Though it's fairly light, I think there are probably better trailers out there for bike touring, etc.
Old 01-12-17, 02:03 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I am looking at a trailer for utility purposes so your experience is very helpful.
Old 01-14-17, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bikes at Work trailers, are modular and so extendable .. Bike Trailers | Bikes At Work
Old 01-21-17, 06:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Just bought e IKEA trailer. Put it together and went around the block twice. I'll know more tomorrow it so far it is waaaaaaay cool.
Old 01-22-17, 06:08 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Just bought e IKEA trailer. Put it together and went around the block twice. I'll know more tomorrow it so far it is waaaaaaay cool.
It would be awesome if you did a review over in the utility forum! There has been some controversy over Ikea's recent bike/trailer offerings, but they all look well thought out and quality built to me.

Looking forward to your thoughts and pics!
Bruce

Edit- Somehow I make my post at almost the same exact time you make a new thread about the trailer! What are the chances...

Last edited by sarahbruce; 01-22-17 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 08:38 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
1-wheel for touring, 2 wheel for utility is my choice.
Flatbeds are most versatile. A simple, solid, wooden flatbed is best. Fabric beds, metal side rails, child trailers are all lesser cargo haulers.
I adaprt my flatbed with plastic cartons for shopping, wooden raisers for large flat things.
Rear axle ftting seems to work best. The plastic lollipop hitch of Freedomcarry is simple, durable and effective.
Old 02-09-17, 08:46 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Removable, qr stub axles are standard wheelchai components. A spring loaded ball bearing protrudes from the axle side and clicks into a detent in the axle socket. Pressing the button relieves the ball bearing and you just pul the wheel out. If you keep pulling, the axle just slides out from the cartridge bearing. Keep axles lightly greased to prevent binding, esp if you store the axle mounted.
Flatbed trailers with qr axles can flatpack for storage in a small space.