Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 11:29 AM
Huapango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still available

My two 11 Speed Shimano Alfine Helix bikes are still available for anyone who would like to take over my Kickstarter pledge. I am asking $3,350 USD ($4,295 CAD), which is the amount I paid. Once payment is complete, I e-mail Helix to let them know to complete the transfer. You may contact Helix at hello@helix.ca. Send me an e-mail at derek dot paul dot larson at gmail if you have any questions or concerns.
Old 04-26-18, 01:35 AM
max351

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huapango
My two 11 Speed Shimano Alfine Helix bikes are still available for anyone who would like to take over my Kickstarter pledge. I am asking $3,350 USD ($4,295 CAD), which is the amount I paid. Once payment is complete, I e-mail Helix to let them know to complete the transfer. You may contact Helix at hello@helix.ca. Send me an e-mail at derek dot paul dot larson at gmail if you have any questions or concerns.
Do we have to buy both?
Old 04-26-18, 08:34 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: helix for sale

Hi Derek,
Sent you reply in private.
Avner.
Old 04-26-18, 09:20 AM
Huapango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max351
Do we have to buy both?
I am looking into what must be done to transfer the bikes separately. The gentleman who posted after you is interested too. Please shoot me an e-mail to derek dot paul dot larson @gmail and let me know what country you live in. The transfer would also include shipping to your country, I assume, and my Kickstarter pledge includes shipping to the US. It's also possible the transfer would include shipping to the US and you would pay the difference if other arrangements need to be made. In any case, I sent an e-mail to Helix to confirm.
Old 04-27-18, 05:42 AM
SurfHenk

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am looking into what must be done to transfer the bikes separately. The gentleman who posted after you is interested too. Please shoot me an e-mail to derek dot paul dot larson @gmail and let me know what country you live in. The transfer would also include shipping to your country, I assume, and my Kickstarter pledge includes shipping to the US. It's also possible the transfer would include shipping to the US and you would pay the difference if other arrangements need to be made. In any case, I sent an e-mail to Helix to confirm.
I have taken over a few pledges before (the idea is to have a Helix bike for every member of the family) and can tell you that splitting a two-bike pledge into two separate pledges is not a straightforward process. In fact it will only be possible if Peter (the founder of Helix) is willing and able to split the original pledge.
I recently took over one bike from someone who had a two-bike pledge, the seller wanted to sell one and keep the other. In the end the easiest solution was for me to swap a one-bike pledge from me with the seller's two-bike pledge (and obviously me paying the additional cost for the extra bike to the seller).

Good luck with the sale!

Last edited by SurfHenk; 04-27-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 08:40 AM
Huapango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfHenk
I have taken over a few pledges before (the idea is to have a Helix bike for every member of the family) and can tell you that splitting a two-bike pledge into two separate pledges is not a straightforward process. In fact it will only be possible if Peter (the founder of Helix) is willing and able to split the original pledge.
I recently took over one bike from someone who had a two-bike pledge, the seller wanted to sell one and keep the other. In the end the easiest solution was for me to swap a one-bike pledge from me with the seller's two-bike pledge (and obviously me paying the additional cost for the extra bike to the seller).

Good luck with the sale!
Thank you, that was very helpful.
Old 04-28-18, 08:01 AM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there supposed to be any newd this weekend??
Old 04-28-18, 09:58 AM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
There was a mention in the last update of photos and such for a new option 'next week' but that could just be a slip and they mean next fortnightly update. Nothing out yet but last weekend's update was Sunday
Old 04-28-18, 02:47 PM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A short update has been published, not much news.
The next substantial update should come next weekend..
Old 04-28-18, 04:39 PM
porschetoyz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Derek,

I sent you an email at above listed address.
Old 05-02-18, 12:14 PM
Huapango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sold one of Helix bikes and have one more remaining for anyone interested (11 speed Alfine).
Old 05-03-18, 07:28 AM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have sold one of Helix bikes and have one more remaining for anyone interested (11 speed Alfine).
Were you able to split the two-bike pledge into two separate pledges?
Old 05-03-18, 12:17 PM
Huapango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfHenk
Were you able to split the two-bike pledge into two separate pledges?
Yes, there is currently a potential buyer for the second bike. They're just awaiting confirmation from Helix that this is legit.
Old 05-03-18, 12:21 PM
SurfHenk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to read Helix was able to help you in splitting the pledge.
Old 05-05-18, 01:47 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waiting for said substantial update

dang. There has to be a big public announcement coming soon! I can’t wait lol
Old 05-06-18, 05:39 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
The latest update....
- Production proceeds.
- The logo is designed.
Old 05-06-18, 08:27 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve been following the Helix Kickstarter for some time now and I’m sorry, but I am just dismayed at their business model. Thus far they’ve collected north of $2 million Canadian and not a single bike delivered... in what, a few years?

I’ve been part of the materials engineering / manufacturing / automation/ aerospace/ robotics field for years. There are so many ways to do this correctly. Building a factory with robotic welders in phase one is crazy. Starting with titanium is crazy. Robotically welding titanium in phase one is crazy. I’m afraid you guys invested in an idealistic view of the manufacturing world, not one rooted in experience.

We are talking about a freakin bike frame here. Even Elon Musk has a better track record on making deadlines... and his product puts cars in orbit.

if it were me, I would have started with high quality steel and contracted a Chinese or Taiwanese bike builder. I would’ve had that bike to market in 12 months At half the price.

Last edited by RobotGuy; 05-06-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 11:14 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy
I’ve been following the Helix Kickstarter for some time now and I’m sorry, but I am just dismayed at their business model. Thus far they’ve collected north of $2 million Canadian and not a single bike delivered... in what, a few years?

I’ve been part of the materials engineering / manufacturing / automation/ aerospace/ robotics field for years. There are so many ways to do this correctly. Building a factory with robotic welders in phase one is crazy. Starting with titanium is crazy. Robotically welding titanium in phase one is crazy. I’m afraid you guys invested in an idealistic view of the manufacturing world, not one rooted in experience.

We are talking about a freakin bike frame here. Even Elon Musk has a better track record on making deadlines... and his product puts cars in orbit.

if it were me, I would have started with high quality steel and contracted a Chinese or Taiwanese bike builder. I would’ve had that bike to market in 12 months At half the price.
Alas, you didn't do it.
So I'll stick with Helix.
On the plus side, our overly ambitious entrepreneur will be delivering some extraordinarily
spiffy bikes. It's worth the wait to me, since my Dahon Helios still serves me well.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 05-06-18 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 03:28 PM
smallboats
Large Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed. It has been 13 months since the last public disclosure of information from the creator with the April 6, 2017 blog entry on the helix.ca website. This is a one man operation that has all the outward appearances of being a KickFail.

The blog entries use present tense sentence structure to imply the bike is alraedy being manufactured. It is not. Who is on the "Helix team?" What is the physical address of the "Helix factory?" How about a picture of the boxes that will be used to ship the bikes? If a few bikes were made for testing, provide one to a reviewer for some free publicity.

Is there anyone in the Toronto area willing to locate the "Helix factory" and provide a few pictures of the exterior of the building? If yes, please take a moment to knock on the door during normal business hours.

Old 05-06-18, 06:10 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallboats

Agreed. It has been 13 months since the last public disclosure of information from the creator with the April 6, 2017 blog entry on the helix.ca website. This is a one man operation that has all the outward appearances of being a KickFail.

The blog entries use present tense sentence structure to imply the bike is alraedy being manufactured. It is not. Who is on the "Helix team?" What is the physical address of the "Helix factory?" How about a picture of the boxes that will be used to ship the bikes? If a few bikes were made for testing, provide one to a reviewer for some free publicity.

Is there anyone in the Toronto area willing to locate the "Helix factory" and provide a few pictures of the exterior of the building? If yes, please take a moment to knock on the door during normal business hours.

Those of us who've plunked down money for one have received periodic updates.
We get pix, progress reports, & videos of things like the robot welding frame parts.
Old 05-06-18, 06:35 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Those of us who've plunked down money for one have received periodic updates.
We get pix, progress reports, & videos of things like the robot welding frame parts.
hey, I’m rooting you guys. It’s just that everything is so vague with his updates.

edit - good news. They’re advertising for a TIG welder. They say they’re in North York, a suburb of Toronto. Pay them a visit.

https://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=3...3DsearchOnSerp

Last edited by RobotGuy; 05-06-18 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 06:44 PM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Elon Musk is not sending cars to space with a team of four people, nor did he start with ~2.5 million dollars; He was an established entrepreneur who had made billions from the sale of PayPal and has attracted teams of unbelievably smart people to work with him, and together they have gradually developed a lot of amazing technology. What Musk has achieved is incredible, but I don't really see the point in comparing Peter Boutakis to him.

Also, I don't know if it has been stated in any of the public blog posts, but Boutakis did originally try working with companies experienced in manufacture of Ti cars as well as Taiwanese bike companies. This didn't go well, for whatever reason, so in the end he decided to Kickstart his invention. He's made lots of mistakes, but seems to have always been focused on his vision of the "world's best folding bike", and has had an uncompromising attitude towards producing a bike that meets all his design goals throughout. I'm sure this perfectionism has played a huge part in the long wait for Helix, and we still don't know if the bike is going to a. get shipped or b. be any good, but things are starting to look up, and I believe they have actually begun manufacture based on all the latest (non-public) blog updates. I'm sure we all wish they would start shipping bikes sooner, but until they do, I'm sure most of us have other things to do and other bikes to ride.

But yes, maybe he should have made the Kickstarter bikes from steel and had them weigh closer to 20kg. With the unique frame design it would have still been quite compelling, and maybe they would have been able to ship bikes by now. Still, I'm really looking forward to the Ti bikes being shipped this year, even if they cost twice the price and took 2-3 times as long to make.
Old 05-06-18, 07:15 PM
smallboats
Large Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
Also, I don't know if it has been stated in any of the public blog posts, but Boutakis did originally try working with companies experienced in manufacture of Ti cars as well as Taiwanese bike companies. This didn't go well, for whatever reason, so in the end he decided to Kickstart his invention. He's made lots of mistakes, but seems to have always been focused on his vision of the "world's best folding bike", and has had an uncompromising attitude towards producing a bike that meets all his design goals throughout. I'm sure this perfectionism has played a huge part in the long wait for Helix, and we still don't know if the bike is going to a. get shipped or b. be any good, but things are starting to look up, and I believe they have actually begun manufacture based on all the latest (non-public) blog updates. I'm sure we all wish they would start shipping bikes sooner, but until they do, I'm sure most of us have other things to do and other bikes to ride.
Also agreed.

I very much want to purchase a Helix. I want this brilliant bicycle design to be available for retail purchase.
Old 05-06-18, 07:59 PM
RichardLee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallboats
I live in Toronto.

Helix backers on this forum can attest to claims made below.

I elucidated the location of the factory, 4chan-esque style, and provided details in the backers' forum. It was information I felt backers were entitled to (since Helix was not volunteering it after collecting so much money) hence rationalized the doxxing.

Having the address, no need to take photos of the exterior. It's on the street view of online maps - if you have the address. I visited the factory during off hours, walked around and, without going into details, came to the satisfactory conclusion that this is indeed the Helix factory. I noted in the post in the backers' forum that, despite not having gone inside, based on what I saw backers can take my word that there is no further doubt it is a legitimate operation.

Based on the doxxing, my understanding is that a backer from England visited the factory during business hours without consent and went inside. This was contrary to my assertion in the backer's forum now that we can be rest assured the project is legit, we can let the man (who I now refer to as Big Bro) to go about his work undisturbed, let alone get a surprise visit.

This was quite some while before Big Brother expelled me as a backer (it was for some other matter last November). I do wonder, however, with all this chat about transferring ownership, what happens now to my assigned bike. They have serial numbers and mine is/was in the 300s based on pledge order back in September 2015.

Despite the animus, I will not disclose the Helix factory location, at least publicly such as on this forum.

edit - good news. They’re advertising for a TIG welder. They say they’re in North York, a suburb of Toronto. Pay them a visit.
Actually, it's not a suburb. It's outside the city core but technically still within boundary of the City. North York is a borough within the consolidated City of Toronto. It was a suburb in the past century of what was called Toronto then before annexation of the various boroughs. It's like New York. The City of Toronto nowadays is itself part of a large region known as the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) comprised of Toronto and numerous suburbs (suburbs in the conventional sense).

It's bad news actually. If after years of tests upon tests, Helix NOW needs a hand-welder, it casts doubt in the once boasted robotic inert chamber welding process.

Read above for visiting them during operational hours. Big Bro doesn't want it. One would think he would be welcoming of backers at least - come inside, let's have a coffee. Something to hide?

Last edited by RichardLee; 05-07-18 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 08:17 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardLee
It's bad news actually. If after years of tests upon tests, Helix NOW needs a hand-welder, it casts doubt in the once boasted robotic inert chamber welding process.
Every production welding operation needs real welders on staff, robotic operations included. They’re there to verify and tweak welding settings, make production changes and act as a sounding board for the countless issues that arise on a factory floor during the normal day. Besides, it’s typical that even low priced assemblies have some small bit that’s just easier to weld by hand.

It’s good news because you can only justify paying a welder if production welding is happening (or is planned in the very near term).

Last edited by RobotGuy; 05-06-18 at 08:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.