Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Authentic Pinarello frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 07:26 PM
Prehyp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all
I recently acquired an old pinarello single speed bike. I've some questions about the authenticity of the bike and some issues I'm having with the handlebar and the seatpost.

can anyone confirm from the photos if the frame is genuine Pinarello?

I'm having an issue with the handlebar. It's too low and I wanted to raise it up but the bolt is stuck. I've used an Allen key to try and loosen it but it's completely unmovable. The handlebar is an old nitto olympiade 115. See photo for it. Any idea how I might be able to raise this handlebar?

also having an issue with the seatpost as it keeps slipping down to the frame on its own. The design of this frame has the collar to tighten the seatpost as a part of the frame and it's completely tight so I don't know how to solve this. Because of the design I don't think I could install a separate clamp. Any ideas please?
Edit: sorry guys I was finally able to post links for the photos. I've tried embedding the photos but it kept failing . Links are below
handlebar
seat stem
Seat stem
frame
Full bike
handlebar
Seat stem/post

Last edited by Prehyp; 05-06-18 at 08:38 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-04-18, 07:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,798 Posts
Yes, I have one.

Pinarello by cb400bill, on Flickr
Old 05-04-18, 07:45 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I do have the same sticker on my frame. I'm trying to post the photos but unfortunately I can't before getting to 10 posts. Coming shortly thanks!
Old 05-04-18, 07:52 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 546 Posts
Not sure if the newer Pinarello (with TIG welded frames?) had "collars" to secure their seatposts. But it could at least determine when the bike was built.....but not whether it us a genuine Pinarello......

Last edited by Chombi1; 05-04-18 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 07:59 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

You should be able to attach self hosted pics by clicking on the little paperclip at the top of the reply box.
Old 05-04-18, 08:01 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Post some photos...

If the seatpost is slipping it probably means the seatpost is too small (in diameter). If it is a separate (non-integrated) seat clamp, then maybe the clamp is too big and thus not actually compressing the seat tube. Either way, take the seatpost out and take the clamp off (if it is separate from the frame). Measure the outer diameter and inner diameter of the seattube with a set of calipers and this will tell you what size you need (and therefore whether the parts that were installed are correct).

Regarding the wedge bolt for the quill stem - drip penetrating oil (or at least some sort of lubricant) down the stem bolt. If you can turn the bike upside down, also drop some down the steerer from the bottom of the fork crown. Wait a day and try loosening again. If it does not budge, repeat the oiling and waiting until it does.
Old 05-05-18, 07:50 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
For the stem, after loosening the stem bolt, but without removing it, you sometimes need to use a block of wood and a hammer to dislodge the wedge. Normally one that needs this will have the stem bolt protruding above the stem as you loosen it.
Old 05-05-18, 07:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 2,241 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Yes, I have one.

+1
Newer bike
Old 05-05-18, 08:57 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I would say the head badge is genuine -

P1020145, on Flickr

P1000968, on Flickr
Old 05-06-18, 08:30 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for providing photos and helping me out.

regarding the seat post. As you could see from the photos, the clamp caused the frame to crack slightly and that's what causing the seatpost to slip all the way. Because the clamp is part of the frame, i'm not sure how I could go about fixing this issue. Is the frame rendered useless now? I'm pretty disappointed the guy who sold me this was less than honest about this.
Old 05-06-18, 08:33 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also posted photos of the handlebar. The Allen key is completely unable to move the bolt. I've tried applying degreasing and lubricant but it's unmovable.

I suspect i might be going about this wrong as this is my first time ever working with bike parts. Any guidance about this also is appreciated
Old 05-06-18, 08:44 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
For the stem, after loosening the stem bolt, but without removing it, you sometimes need to use a block of wood and a hammer to dislodge the wedge. Normally one that needs this will have the stem bolt protruding above the stem as you loosen it.
Hi, i've updated with photos. The issue is that the bolt is completely not moving. So i'm not sure how to even start here
Old 05-08-18, 08:10 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have one.

Hi Thanks for the response.
do you know how wide your seat tube is in diameter? And what diameter seatpost you use that's compatible with it?
Old 05-08-18, 08:11 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I would say the head badge is genuine -

P1020145, on Flickr

P1000968, on Flickr
Do you happen to know the seat tube diameter of your frame and what compatible seat post you use with it?
Old 05-08-18, 08:53 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Stem Bolt:
Take an Allen Wrench that fits, and cut 2 - 3 inches off.
Put that on the stem bolt, and rap smartly with a hammer, several times.
Use an uncut Allen wrench, and try to turn the bolt a LITTLE BIT (clockwise) to tighten, then try to loosen (anticlockwise).
The above MIGHT break loose the rust/ corrosion in the threads so the bolt will turn.
If you twist the bolt, you'll have to stick something in there to tap what's left of the bolt and the wedge down so you can remove the stem, and install a new bolt and wedge.
Old 05-08-18, 08:59 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Prehyp
Hi Thanks for the response.
do you know how wide your seat tube is in diameter? And what diameter seatpost you use that's compatible with it?

My seatpost is 27.2.
Old 05-08-18, 10:02 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My seatpost is 27.2.
I believe my seat tube is also 27.2 mm but a 27.2 seat post wont fit. I believe it's supposed to? My inclination is that a previous owner had tried to fit an undersized seat post into the tube and tightened the clamp too much to affect the diameter.. Not sure what to do, but I'm going to test it out more tomorrow.
Old 05-09-18, 08:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Prehyp
I believe my seat tube is also 27.2 mm but a 27.2 seat post wont fit. I believe it's supposed to? My inclination is that a previous owner had tried to fit an undersized seat post into the tube and tightened the clamp too much to affect the diameter.. Not sure what to do, but I'm going to test it out more tomorrow.
Yes, the previous owner had installed an under size post, as the cinch slot is pinched closed at the top. Gently pry it open with thin bladed screwdriver until the slot is slightly wider at the top than the bottom of the slot. There's what appears to be a crack in the left cinch slot ear, down it's side, but I can't tell if it's in just the paint or the brazed joint has cracked. If it's the latter,it will have to be repaired.

I don't see any embossing on the seat stay caps. This may indicate a lesser grade tubeset,such as Aelle or Zeta, that uses a smaller than 27.2mm seat post. However, it is a legitimate Pinarello.
Old 05-09-18, 09:43 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't see any embossing on the seat stay caps.
I see a faint PG on the stay caps.
Old 05-10-18, 01:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
With your stem bolt. Take out the front wheel and turn the bike upside down. Trickle some Kroil/ATF/release agent of your choice down on the end of the bolt you'll see sticking through the expander/wedge (you might need a torch to see it. Leave it for a day, then do the whack an allen key thing mentioned above.
Old 05-10-18, 07:47 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Prehyp - 27.2 seat posts for both frames. ST = 28.56 without paint.
Old 05-10-18, 08:48 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
I see a faint PG on the stay caps.
there is this.

Do embossings indicate higher quality of frames?
Old 05-10-18, 08:50 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Yes, the previous owner had installed an under size post, as the cinch slot is pinched closed at the top. Gently pry it open with thin bladed screwdriver until the slot is slightly wider at the top than the bottom of the slot. There's what appears to be a crack in the left cinch slot ear, down it's side, but I can't tell if it's in just the paint or the brazed joint has cracked. If it's the latter,it will have to be repaired.

I don't see any embossing on the seat stay caps. This may indicate a lesser grade tubeset,such as Aelle or Zeta, that uses a smaller than 27.2mm seat post. However, it is a legitimate Pinarello.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. This fixed it. I didn't imagine it would be a solution that simple

also the crack in the left cinch ear slot is just paint
Old 05-10-18, 09:04 PM
Prehyp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Stem Bolt:
Take an Allen Wrench that fits, and cut 2 - 3 inches off.
Put that on the stem bolt, and rap smartly with a hammer, several times.
Use an uncut Allen wrench, and try to turn the bolt a LITTLE BIT (clockwise) to tighten, then try to loosen (anticlockwise).
The above MIGHT break loose the rust/ corrosion in the threads so the bolt will turn.
If you twist the bolt, you'll have to stick something in there to tap what's left of the bolt and the wedge down so you can remove the stem, and install a new bolt and wedge.
Hi. Thanks for the response.
the bolt seems to be worn out that using an Allen key won't fit and turning/twisting accomplishes nothing.

What could I do in this case? Also how does cutting off inches off the allen key help?
Old 05-20-18, 09:30 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Cutting the Allen wrench gets rid of the bend so you can beat it into the Allen bolt with a hammer.
You then use a socket or a wrench that fits the Allen wrench to turn it.

If the Allen bolt is stripped /rounded out from using too small and Allen wrench, you'll have to have a welding shop weld bolt or something to the original bolt to get it out. If the welder is good, he (or she) will not hit the stem during the weld.

Your only other choice is to cut the stem and bolt below the bolt head (leave enough stem so that after the cut you can grab hold of it) then use a punch on the bolt to drive the wedge down so you can remove what's left of the stem.