Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you know if a helmet is good?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-17-19, 12:00 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts

I've been a recreational rider, small town commuter for many years. I've never owned a helmet. I've never really rode in traffic or on a highway. I just bought a road bike and do intend to ride on highways, so I bought a helmet.

I searched Amazon and saw hundreds of brands I've never heard of, some very cheap, some super expensive. I googled brands and looked for articles, and didn't find many recommendations for any helmets under $100. Despite the fact that the cheaper helmets had good reviews and certifications.

I ended up buying a Lazer Blade. It had several great reviews and I believe an editors award from one of the cycling mags a couple years ago. It was on clearance at Sierra Trading post in my size for $29. Seems like a bargain. Any reason to think it might be unsafe? I know it's a couple year old model now, and I think it was replaced with the MIPS version of the same model. It arrived in the packaging, brand new and looking factory fresh.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-19, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
No, as long as it fits you properly and you wear it properly.

If I had a dollar for every person I have seen wearing a helmet that is so ill fitted it's mind boggling I would have a lot more dollars. I usually assume they bought their helmets on line and set them up themselves without any assistance from a LBS or friend knowledgeable about proper helmet fit. There was even a neurologist in my local club whose helmet left almost his entire, large forehead exposed. You would expect something different from someone is his profession.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-19, 12:58 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
When you're on the ground and a semi runs over your helmeted head, then you get up and wonder why it didn't break? *That's* a good helmet.
Old 05-17-19, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
I've been a recreational rider, small town commuter for many years. I've never owned a helmet. I've never really rode in traffic or on a highway. I just bought a road bike and do intend to ride on highways, so I bought a helmet.

I searched Amazon and saw hundreds of brands I've never heard of, some very cheap, some super expensive. I googled brands and looked for articles, and didn't find many recommendations for any helmets under $100. Despite the fact that the cheaper helmets had good reviews and certifications.

I ended up buying a Lazer Blade. It had several great reviews and I believe an editors award from one of the cycling mags a couple years ago. It was on clearance at Sierra Trading post in my size for $29. Seems like a bargain. Any reason to think it might be unsafe? I know it's a couple year old model now, and I think it was replaced with the MIPS version of the same model. It arrived in the packaging, brand new and looking factory fresh.

Thanks!
I have a non-MIPS Blade and it's a fine helmet. I keep it as a backup because it's been replaced by a Z1, which is a little lighter and better vented. $29 for a Blade is a great price.
Old 05-17-19, 01:25 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by caloso
I have a non-MIPS Blade and it's a fine helmet. I keep it as a backup because it's been replaced by a Z1, which is a little lighter and better vented. $29 for a Blade is a great price.
Thank you.
Old 05-17-19, 01:31 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^^^ This, and if the helmet meets whatever safety standard is applicable to your region, e.g. EN 1078 in the EU.

It's much like motorcycle helmets: all helmets, regardless of price, must meet the same safety standards - so poor people get the same level of safety protection as rich people.

You pay extra for better padding, vision, fit, ventilation, lighter weight, color, shape, etc. How those factors affect "safety" is debatable; what should not be debatable is a standard level of impact protection (g-forces transmitted to the head in the event of an impact), which should be controlled with the relevant safety standard.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-17-19, 01:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts

Thanks!
There is no reason to think your helmet is unsafe. I do have to wonder out loud though about reasonable expectations, given that there are helmets out there for ~$500.00. Apprehension and/or inexperience are bigger factors in a cyclists safety than the presence of a helmet on their head or its quality level. Lucky for me I was a very, very experienced cyclist long before there was such a thing as the Internet. By the time Bike Forums and all the safety concerns that get raised in an echo chamber reached present levels I was as safe as I was going to be. You, not so much. You will just have to trust me when I tell you that on the street, in traffic ... there is little a helmet can do for you. That other poster that was run over by a semi? Ignore that. You will NOT be run over by a semi and live. So don't. Don't get run over by a semi. Don't get run over by anything. It's easier than you think. Good luck.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-17-19, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You will NOT be run over by a semi and live. So don't. Don't get run over by a semi.
What about getting t-boned? I met a guy in a local club who was t-boned by a semi in TX while riding across the country during a supported trip. Long day. He was very tired. Saw that night's motel on the other side of the highway and turned left into traffic to cross the road without looking. Don't know if he was technically run over, but he got severely messed up. But he lived.
Old 05-17-19, 02:42 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You will NOT be run over by a semi and live. So don't. Don't get run over by a semi. Don't get run over by anything.
That's good advice. I try to live by those words. But I would like that helmet.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 05-19-19, 06:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
For all of that, motorcyclists either wear the full head thing or what looks like a WW II German Army helmet...they die more from getting swiped by passing cars and T-boned, internal injuries IMO. Wear a helmet, of COURSE but it's not The Force. You are as likely as the next Stormtrooper to take blaster fire.
Old 05-24-19, 03:25 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

If I had a dollar for every person I have seen wearing a helmet that is so ill fitted it's mind boggling I would have a lot more dollars. I usually assume they bought their helmets on line and set them up themselves without any assistance from a LBS or friend knowledgeable about proper helmet fit. There was even a neurologist in my local club whose helmet left almost his entire, large forehead exposed. You would expect something different from someone is his profession.
DITTO!!

It is jaw-dropping, how many wear a bike helmet, as if they were wearing a baseball cap.
Likes For Chris0516:
Old 05-27-19, 11:43 AM
BobFishell

Bikes: 1990 Klein Quantum, 1995 Klein Quantum Pro, 1997 Klein Pulse Comp, Cannondale 3.0 (junk box build - year unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If it's a Bell helmet, you're good. I've crash-tested two of them. Lots of road rash in both cases, but my noggin was fine. Bell will replace any of their helmets, regardless of the model or when you bought it, for a flat price of $35. Incidentally, if your helmet hits the pavement or any other solid surface, replace it whether or not there is any visible damage. It's a good idea to buy a new helmet every 3-4 years anyway, as the EPS foam starts to deteriorate with time.
Likes For BobFishell:
Old 05-28-19, 07:09 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
As mentioned. A properly adjusted helmet is a key factor in its effectiveness.
My wife and I are in the market for new matching helmets (We ride our tandems a lot) and the next ones will be MIPS.

Good guide here.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/8019_fitting-a-helmet.pdf

I've only been in one crash and my helmet came through it unscathed. I hit a pothole doing 25 mph, the handlebar twisted and I was airborne and face planted into the pavement. Helmet??? Not a scratch. Me??? broken wrist, elbow, cracked ribs and a year of dealing with the injuries.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 06-03-19, 01:54 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks!
The Lazer Blade is being recalled: Lazer Blade recall
Likes For Chris0516:
Old 06-03-19, 05:37 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by Chris0516
The Lazer Blade is being recalled: Lazer Blade recall
Thanks for that link. It looks like only the size small and extra small CPSC sizes are recalled, but all sizes of the CE helmets are affected. How do I know which I have? Is mine assumed to be CPSC because I bought it in the US? I don't see anything that states which it is.
Old 06-03-19, 06:55 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I'd agree completely with what's already been posted - a good helmet is one that meets the appropriate standards, fits properly, and is adjusted properly.

The helmet I was wearing last summer when I had my accident ended up with a dent in the side of it. It wasn't an expensive helmet, it was in fact one of the cheapest my local bike shop had in stock when I bought it. I bought it there rather than online - and my childrens' helmets as well - because I could try it on and make sure it fitted properly.

I bought its replacement in the same shop (and have so far bought two replacement lids for my intrepid teenage son); I paid a bit more money this time knowing I wasn't getting better protection but a slightly lighter helmet.
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 06-03-19, 07:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
One could easily argue that all of our helmets are unsafe. While they provide fairly good protection against point-loading of the head and skull fractures, they are poor at mitigating the acceleration-deceleration forces that cause concussion. I wear one, but I don't kid myself about its effectiveness.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 06-04-19 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-03-19, 11:15 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
In addition to the above, a good helmet is comfortable and worn. If you're not wearing it when you need it you're not going to get the benefit out of it.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 06-04-19, 12:31 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for that link. It looks like only the size small and extra small CPSC sizes are recalled, but all sizes of the CE helmets are affected. How do I know which I have? Is mine assumed to be CPSC because I bought it in the US? I don't see anything that states which it is.
Since you bought it recently. Do you still have the 'box' that it came in? That should say the size on it.
Likes For Chris0516:
Old 06-04-19, 05:14 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by Chris0516
Since you bought it recently. Do you still have the 'box' that it came in? That should say the size on it.
No unfortunately I don't still have the box. Mine is a medium and the sticker inside says that, but there is no CE or CPSC sticker.

I emailed Lazer but haven't heard back yet.
Old 06-04-19, 05:28 AM
mivuj95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm one of *those* people, horrible with not wearing my helmet. Stupid because I've had 2 concussions in the past as well! I'm now looking for a replacement helmet to actually start wearing and I'm in the same boat kind of wondering if my budget is providing me protection. Good read here, helped me out a lot!
Likes For mivuj95:
Old 06-04-19, 10:41 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
No unfortunately I don't still have the box. Mine is a medium and the sticker inside says that, but there is no CE or CPSC sticker.

I emailed Lazer but haven't heard back yet.
It should have the CPSC sticker to be legally sold here. There may be others too, but that's the minimum.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 06-04-19, 11:00 AM
riverdrifter

Ah, I found the CPSC sticker. The print was so small I didn't realize what it was. So mine is a USA model CPSC size medium, so therefore not affected by the recall.
Old 06-04-19, 03:25 PM
riverdrifter

Yep I just heard back from Lazer and they verified my helmet is okay. Only the S and XS CPSC size are affected.
Old 06-04-19, 07:01 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
^^^ This, and if the helmet meets whatever safety standard is applicable to your region, e.g. EN 1078 in the EU.

all helmets, regardless of price, must meet the same safety standards - so poor people get the same level of safety protection as rich people.
Well, sorta. All helmets must meet or exceed a minimum safety standard but that doesn't mean they all offer the same level of protection. You can have one helmet that barely passed and one that could have passed even with twice the impact and they still get the same certification sticker.

The Snell Foundation is a good organization that puts helmets through rigorous tests. A Snell Foundation certification means you have a very good helmet. Before someone jumps on it . . . yes, some companies produce equivalent or better helmets but don't go through the Snell certification process, which is absolutely fine, but a Snell sticker is one way to assure that your helmet will perform well in an accident.
Likes For Myosmith:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.