Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Topstone vs Checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 07:18 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

And the winner is...
The much better brakes, local dealer attention and the snobbery I got from the Cannondale dealer were the Tipping point. I think I'd been happy with the Topstone too.

Had the dealer install Shwalbe G-one and kept the slicks that came with it.
Waiting to heal from two cracked ribs to take it on a meaningful ride. I'll update later
Likes For TheRef:
Old 06-24-19, 12:23 PM
chemistry76

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll give a thumbs up on the Checkpoint. Super happy with mine. The Bontrager GR1 tires that came on it were excellent. Survived DK 200 without a single flat.

Highly recommend setting up tubeless whichever route you go.
Old 08-22-19, 10:14 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Funny, a lady-friend of mine who hasn't ridden in 10 years wants a new bike. Nobody has the right size of anything in town. Norco Search XR aluminum, new Giant Revolt aluminum, Trek Checkpoint AL4, or Cannondale Topstone 105. She's leaning now between the Checkpoint and the Topstone. The Trek dealer may order her size with no obligation to buy ($1,600) or the Cannondale from REI ($1,800 but not my choice of LBS though you can return it if unhappy).

So, cannot ride either bike in town. Wants drop bar, i'm pushing towards an all-road/gravel design, she sees the wisdom in that. Topstone has better 105 vs Tiagra. And possibly takes bigger tires than the Trek Checkpoint. And the Cannondale comes with tubeless ready WTB rims and Riddler tires. Trek Checkpoint, no, would have to buy new tires at around $70 a pop.

Any thoughts between those two? Ugh, did i just hijack this thread???? Sorry.

-eric/fresno, ca.
Old 08-22-19, 04:34 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I have a new Checkpoint ALR5 and almost chose the Topstone 105. In hindsight, I think I would have been better served by the Topstone. Some key differences between these bikes are:

* The Topstone has a subcompact 46/30 crankset, whereas the Checkpoint has a compact 50/34 crankset. The lower gearing sounds like it would be of value to your friend who hasn't ridden in a while. I just spent over $200 extra and some time to install a subcompact GRX crankset and FD on my bike.
* The Topstone uses a threaded bottom bracket, whereas the Checkpoint uses a press-fit BB. The latter has a reputation for eventually causing creaking issues for many folks (not everyone, mind you)
* The Topstone's handlebars have a 16-degree flare to them, whereas the Checkpoint has no flare. Many folks find having a bit of handlebar flare is more comfortable.
* Note the different internal frame cable routing used by the Topstone and Checkpoint. I personally find the Checkpoint's routing to be awkward where it enters the top of the downtube.
* The Topstone is significantly cheaper than the Checkpoint ALR5

I really like my Checkpoint ALR5 and I intend to keep it, but if I had to do it all over again, it's clear to me that I would choose the Topstone.

That's my two cents.
Old 08-22-19, 07:04 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
Funny, a lady-friend of mine who hasn't ridden in 10 years wants a new bike. Nobody has the right size of anything in town. Norco Search XR aluminum, new Giant Revolt aluminum, Trek Checkpoint AL4, or Cannondale Topstone 105. She's leaning now between the Checkpoint and the Topstone. The Trek dealer may order her size with no obligation to buy ($1,600) or the Cannondale from REI ($1,800 but not my choice of LBS though you can return it if unhappy).

So, cannot ride either bike in town. Wants drop bar, i'm pushing towards an all-road/gravel design, she sees the wisdom in that. Topstone has better 105 vs Tiagra. And possibly takes bigger tires than the Trek Checkpoint. And the Cannondale comes with tubeless ready WTB rims and Riddler tires. Trek Checkpoint, no, would have to buy new tires at around $70 a pop.

-eric/fresno, ca.
Topstone
Old 09-05-19, 01:48 PM
GoodNewsEvery1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora

-eric/fresno, ca.
Not sure if you are still looking but the topstone is 20% off through Rei currently ($1400, size small available).
Old 09-05-19, 08:49 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
It's worth calling around REIs. My local REI had two mediums (I bought one) and the other one in the area had a Large. Even though at the time you could only get a S or XS through the website.

Super happy with the bike, a really exceptional value at $1399.
Old 09-10-19, 05:43 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Never tried the Topstone but I'm riding a Checkpoint SL5 with tubeless set up. I'm very pleased with the checkpoint both on dirt roads and single track.