Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

difference between brooks saddles?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 02:05 AM
m i a h

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what's the difference between the b17 and the pro saddles? i've read reviews and get the idea that the b17 is more comfortable then the pro. does anyone with experience agree with or contest this theory...
Old 04-16-06, 02:50 AM
MacG
don't pedal backwards...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker set up for commuting and loaded touring, old Sekine road frame converted to fixed-gear, various beaters and weird bikes, waiting on the frame for my Surly Big Dummy build

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the pro saddles are narrower; more like a racing saddle. Unless you are really in the mood for more wedgie, start out with a B17. Mine is super comfy and it only took about a week of riding (about 100 miles) to get it nice and broken in. I can't speak for the comfort of the pro saddles except that they visually appear narrower and of a tighter, leaner cut. They also cost a lot more.
Old 04-16-06, 04:13 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
The pro is made from leather that is a little thicker, so it won't sag as much. That makes it better to get aero on. I personally think that the pro is more comfortable than the B-17. But it depends on the bike. I have a B-17 on my touring bike, which has the handlebars about even with the saddle, hence a more upright riding position. I have a Pro on my everyday bike, which has the bars somewhat lower than the saddle, and aero bars. I love those Brooks saddles.
Old 04-16-06, 06:11 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rock a b17 "narrow". i like it. a lot.
i may put a swift or a pro on my new ride.
Old 04-16-06, 07:09 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
mo betta!

www.mcmwin.com/saddle%20shop.htm
Old 04-16-06, 07:16 AM
eyefloater
Me talk pretty one day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya,

Everyone's covered things fairly well so I'll just add a few bits here and there.

B-17: The classic Brooks design and the easiest to get your hands on (by far). I believe you can get them in black, tan, dark brown and the distressed "already 100 years old" brown w/ no finish. There's the standard B-17 ... you can also go for the the narrow model (dark brown or black only) or the women's specific design (WSD is shorter but a bit wider). Sorry, I don't know if "m i a h" is m/f. If you want to think about a slight upgrade, you can also get a B-17 with copper or titanium rails to cut down on the weight and/or increase the blingage factor. There's a even a laced model for those who really want an older look.

Pro: Higher quality leather, yes. What that amounts to is a thicker leather that will hold its shape better over the years (and it really is years before you have to make any adjustment to the tensioning bolt w/ these saddles). However, be aware that the Pro saddles are a bit harder to break in. Don't skimp - get the proofhide (or if you're determined not to get that stuff, do your research well and use something that people have found to work on Brooks saddles). There's also a WSD version of the Pro.

Swift: One of my favourite Brooks saddles. I'm guessing it retails for about $220 USD (sorry, I deal w/ CDN prices). While it's still quite a narrow saddle there's still significant room for your pelvic bones/ass to change positions (it's not like the Swallow which is tiny). I'll double check at work today but I think you've actually got a bit more room on the rear of the saddle w/ a Swift that you do w/ a B-17 Narrow. Anyway, the the Swift's come w/ titanium rails and really nice embossing on the sides. You end up w/ a saddle that weighs very little and is stupidly comfortable/aesthetically pleasing.

Caveat: Yes, I work at a bike shop and we sell a huge variety of Brooks saddles (because they're amazing). I think what I'll do in the near future is shoot each of the saddles from the same perspective so people can compare them against each other on our online shop (top and side views). If you ever want to see a shot of a saddle you're debating, send me a PM - it'll get me off my ass and working on that project.
Old 04-16-06, 07:51 AM
Deej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I've been doing a little research myself. Found lots of good info from Wallingford Bicycle Parts (www.wallbike.com). Good Luck.
Old 04-16-06, 07:55 AM
Spudmeister
Old enough to know better

Bikes: On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One more opinion about B.17s

I've got a couple B.17s. The leather of the Champion Special models seems thicker & breaks in a lot quicker. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-06, 10:35 AM
crayonsemble
the tall guy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the "distressed 100 year old looking one" is the best brooks sadddle ive ever owned.
i also had it cut off to look more like a swallow and now its even better. it broke in fully in around 3 days and is just as comfortable as doing it the other way around. i highly! recomend this as
the way to go, also it is starting to look like a honey brown the more i sweat into it.
Old 04-16-06, 10:55 AM
ostro
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im riding a swift, ive got well over a thousand miles on it and to be honest, the thing hasnt budged (proof hide applications and all), althought my a$$ has gotten used to it.
Old 04-16-06, 11:44 AM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
try baseball glove oil. proofide has too much wax
Old 04-16-06, 01:26 PM
m i a h

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks...
Old 04-16-06, 10:26 PM
wpflem
www.getafolder.com

Bikes: Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you've got a fast connection, you might enjoy reviewing the Brooks Catalog:

https://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

https://www.sfbikes.com or https://www.getafolder.com/
Old 04-17-06, 10:54 AM
geog_dash

Bikes: Pake fixie. Klein Reve (for sale, https://www.theveer.net/gordons_klein)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of each.

B17 was comfortable right out of the box. I've done several thousand miles on it, mostly on the hoods. If you put the saddle up high and ride in the drops a lot, the wider saddle will chafe more. It is designed for a relatively upright posture.

I only just started using the Pro, so only a few dozen miles so far. It is less comfortable than the B17. It could just be that the Pro needs breaking in and/or adjustment. Interestingly, the discomfort is greatest when riding on the hoods. My nether region seems happiest when I'm leaning forward with hands on the drops - elbows bent.

IMO, you won't go wrong with the B17. I haven't made up my mind on the Pro. I'll update on the Pro after I get some more time and miles on it.
Old 04-17-06, 12:19 PM
mattsimbols
slow rollin sucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ostro
Mine is super comfy and it only took about a week of riding (about 100 miles) to get it nice and broken in
and it wasn't pre-aged?

Originally Posted by ostro
im riding a swift, ive got well over a thousand miles on it and to be honest, the thing hasnt budged (proof hide applications and all), althought my a$$ has gotten used to it.
agreed. i've been riding a b17 narrow for about 4 months, treated it with glove oil, and its just starting to soften up. dude at my lbs told me to oil it up and pop it in the oven. hmmmm.
Old 04-17-06, 01:01 PM
noriel
Honking drivers see you

Bikes: Fuji Track, KHS Witch Doctor, Balance AL 750, Tank Mod Trials Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a b-17 standard, and recently purchased a Swift from Santa Fe Bikes (great guys, fast turn around for me) My b-17 took no time to break in - just week's worth of riding, and I had dimples on the saddle. The Swift is a lot thicker than my B-17, and it's barely budged. I better put more lovin' into the Swift.

I bought the B-17 because of it's price. when I knew that I liked Brooks saddles, then I just jumped in with the Swift. Santa Fe had the best deal at the time. I got mine for $159 then, I think it's still a great deal now at their current price.
Old 04-17-06, 01:24 PM
ZachS
\||||||/

Bikes: highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are a couple of schools of thought on breaking 'em in - some people want to get the leather soft, because they like the way it feels, some people want it to stay hard and gradually form to the shape of their asses. I'm in the latter category, and wax-based treatments work perfectly to me (although I haven't put anything on mine in the last year)
Old 04-17-06, 11:19 PM
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either you're a Rivendell Brooks type (any saddle other than Swift, Swallow, or Pro) or everyone else. Swift for life!
Old 04-17-06, 11:55 PM
sasander
Beat on the brat

Bikes: Green Libertas fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the B17 but I had to switch it out for the pro. The B17 was too wide and it took forever to break in. The pro felt way better right out of the box and has become the only saddle that causes me no numbness in my sack whatsoever.
Old 04-18-06, 08:15 AM
Mueslix

Bikes: chopper, Team Fuji, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How often are you supposed to proofide them anyway?
Old 04-18-06, 09:11 AM
stella

Bikes: 1960 Denelt; 1970ish Batavas (commuter); 1998 kona cindercone; colnago classic w/campy chorus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mueslix
How often are you supposed to proofide them anyway?
when I made my recent purchase, Bill at Wallbike recommended 1-2x when you first get it and then 1x per year.

I proofhided the saddle 1x and after 3 rides did it one more time.

btw: Bill at wallingford was very helpful. I am swapping out the B17 Champion Special for the Team Pro S w/him...or I may just keep the B17 for my beater.
Old 04-18-06, 09:58 AM
ZachS
\||||||/

Bikes: highly modified specialized crossroads and GT hybrid (really a [formerly] 12-speed bmx cruiser, made before 'hybrid' took on its current meaning), as yet unmodified redline 925, couple of other projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stella
btw: Bill at wallingford was very helpful. I am swapping out the B17 Champion Special for the Team Pro S w/him...or I may just keep the B17 for my beater.
keeeeeep it!
Old 04-18-06, 11:22 AM
stella

Bikes: 1960 Denelt; 1970ish Batavas (commuter); 1998 kona cindercone; colnago classic w/campy chorus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I most probably will... it would look great on my beater--a batavus "monte carlo" from 1972.

btw: last time I was on at the wallingford website, there was a B17 Champion Special in British Racing Green listed in the "used and returned" section for $67. someone here needs to get it.
Old 04-18-06, 01:06 PM
ZachS
\||||||/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stella
I most probably will... it would look great on my beater--a batavus "monte carlo" from 1972.

btw: last time I was on at the wallingford website, there was a B17 Champion Special in British Racing Green listed in the "used and returned" section for $67. someone here needs to get it.
Or any day brand new from Universal Cycles for $66... Wallingford's big advantage is their service, large stock, and return policy...