Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Happy birthday to me

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Happy birthday to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 01:53 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Happy birthday to me

Now that I've had a nap, lots of liquids, and something to eat I can make my birthday ride report. Today is my actual birthday (born in 1954) and I wanted to do something special for my birthday ride because I almost always ride 65 to 70 miles on Sunday anyway. So I take off before bright and early this morning with the intention of doing a solo century ride. Conditions were perfect with early morning temps in the low 60's F and no wind so the pace started off fast After the first 33 miles my average speed was 20.40 mph and the thought started in my head that I might be able to pull off the sub 5 hour solo century ride today. I had never done that before. In fact I had never done ANY sub 5 hour 100 mile ride. For the next third of the ride I picked up the pace so that my average was 20.75 mph after 67 miles. After 80 miles I was starting to get a little tired but I had built up a decent time cushion. The final 20 miles were into a slight headwind, but I only needed to average 18 mph to pull it off. It turns out I needed most of that cushion as I finished the 100 miles in 4 hours 58 minutes 7 seconds. The last ten miles werre pretty hard. I pulled into the driveway at home at 11:40 this morning much to the surprise of the whole family who were expecting me much later. My legs were coated with road grit, jersey and shorts crusted with salts, glasses smeared with sweat and road grime, and many parts of my body were sore. A shower and then within minutes I had waffles! An hour long nap and then watched Breaking Away.

Other ride stats: Breakfast of yogurt and Grape Nuts and a chocolate croissant (birthday surprise from my wife). Ride food of 2.5 Clif bars, 7 water bottles of H20.
Old 05-21-06, 01:59 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations, Mollusk. I couldn't even dream of trying to match your accomplishment (at any age). You are a giant squid among cyclists.
Old 05-21-06, 02:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I pulled into the driveway at home at 11:40 this morning much to the surprise of the whole family who were expecting me much later. My legs were coated with road grit, jersey and shorts crusted with salts, glasses smeared with sweat and road grime, and many parts of my body were sore. A shower and then within minutes I had waffles! An hour long nap and then watched Breaking Away.

Other ride stats: Breakfast of yogurt and Grape Nuts and a chocolate croissant (birthday surprise from my wife). Ride food of 2.5 Clif bars, 7 water bottles of H20.
You must have been slacking on that ride- Only a 1 hour nap when you got home. Reckon you had an excess of energy and should have mown the lawn to give a longer nap. Waffles- Haven't had them for years- hope they were Home made and whilst on food- what happened to the other half of the cliff bar?

Looks like this weekend has been for the Masochists amongst us and a 100 miler in 5 hours proves that you should be included in the Idiots section of the 50+. Well done on the ride- but eat that other half of the cliff bar when you find it.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-21-06, 02:42 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Originally Posted by stapfam
You must have been slacking on that ride- Only a 1 hour nap when you got home. Reckon you had an excess of energy and should have mown the lawn to give a longer nap.
Mowed all the lawns yesterday. And I've notice that I need a lot less sleep now that my years are getting more advanced. A one hour nap now is like a three hour nap when younger.

Waffles- Haven't had them for years- hope they were Home made and whilst on food- what happened to the other half of the cliff bar?
Homemade! The only reason why we don't have them more often is that it is a pain to clean up afterward. As for the Clif bar after a while Clif bars stop tasting so good and start tasting like sawdust and woodglue. Unfortunately they are one of the few things I can stomach while putting out any kind of effort. What I really wanted was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with red currant jelly. Usually I can only find black currant jelly, but it will do in a pinch. With a Coca-Cola. I would have stopped at a store, but I was SO close to the magical finishing time that I dared not stop.

Looks like this weekend has been for the Masochists amongst us and a 100 miler in 5 hours proves that you should be included in the Idiots section of the 50+. Well done on the ride- but eat that other half of the cliff bar when you find it.
I was thinking about all the fellow BF'ers out there this weekend. I think I got off the easiest. The Sante Fe ride has a lot of climbing, AOMM is a notoriously brutal ride, and your ride is for the truly insane!

Last edited by mollusk; 05-23-06 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 02:48 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk

I was thinking about all the fellow BF'ers out there this weekend. I think I got off the easiest. The Sante Fe ride has a lot of climbing, AOMM is a notoriously brutal ride, and your ride is for the truly insane!
100 miles in 5 hours is not easy. Include yourself in the idiots section.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-21-06, 03:21 PM
Deej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!
Old 05-21-06, 03:24 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who took naps. Happy birthday.
Old 05-21-06, 03:24 PM
Makeitso
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you telling me that you rode 100 miles without stopping? All I can say is WOW! I barley made it 25 miles yesterday and I had to stop once for a few minutes. Congratulations on a terrific ride, well done. That's quit an accomplishment.

How do you carry seven water bottles with you? That's one of my problems is carrying enough water, but it's usually 85 by 7:00 am here, at least the past few weeks.
Old 05-21-06, 03:26 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Heck, 4 hours 58 minutes 7 seconds? I could do that...........in my car!

Nice ride and
Old 05-21-06, 03:43 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Very cool way to celebarate the anniversary of your birth. Happy birthday!
Old 05-21-06, 04:37 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A solo, sub 5 hour 100 mile century is the stuff of legends. There aren't many 50-'s that even come close to that!! Well done and happy birthday!!

BTW, homewade waffles are a family favorite at my house as well......
Old 05-21-06, 06:05 PM
sour01
Rid'n Rev

Bikes: 2007 Felt F55, Vintage Univega, 2012 Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Fantastic!! You have given me inspiration. Looking forward to just completing a century this October.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Old 05-21-06, 06:05 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!! job well done. I don't believe I will accomplish my first century in 6 1/2 hours and you roll up a sub 5. Great Effort!!!
This has cerainly been the weekend for riding events.
Oh! Happy Birthday from another of '54!
Old 05-21-06, 07:09 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Would you really like an "Idiot's Award Section" in the 50+ Rogue's Gallery? Nominations and description and picture(s)?
Old 05-21-06, 07:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Diego Garcia
I am jest a little man from a little country, with a little wife who rides a little bike a little wayz at a time! Does this make me an idiot, because all-everything about me is little, and I am not from a big country with big people??? Please explain how I am an idiot!
I take it that is long hand for NO!
Old 05-21-06, 08:04 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mollusk,

Great job on your century. I need a nap after reading your post. Happy birthday.
Old 05-21-06, 08:31 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Congratulations mollusk on a great ride achievment ( man I am really impressed that's a great time and distance), and congratulations on your birthday.
Old 05-21-06, 10:12 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Congrats and Happy Birthday.

But I am bummed. Was so proud of my 40 miles in 2 hrs 15 minutes until I read this thread. Oh well, gives me something to shoot for. Solo centuries are for REAL men.
Old 05-21-06, 10:22 PM
SemperFi

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats Mollusk, both on your ride and your birthday.

I'm new to road cycling and only do about 6 miles each evening...can't imagine what a century would feel like. As far as the nap goes, it would probably take me about an hour just to get from the bike to the bed.
Old 05-22-06, 04:50 AM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by Makeitso
Are you telling me that you rode 100 miles without stopping? All I can say is WOW! I barley made it 25 miles yesterday and I had to stop once for a few minutes. Congratulations on a terrific ride, well done. That's quit an accomplishment.

How do you carry seven water bottles with you? That's one of my problems is carrying enough water, but it's usually 85 by 7:00 am here, at least the past few weeks.
Three very brief water stops in there of pretty much jumping off the bike, filling the bottles, and getting back on. I'd guess there was about 2 minutes off the bike total time.
Old 05-22-06, 04:59 AM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Congrats and Happy Birthday.

But I am bummed. Was so proud of my 40 miles in 2 hrs 15 minutes until I read this thread. Oh well, gives me something to shoot for. Solo centuries are for REAL men.
Don't be bummed at all! I had perfect conditions with almost no wind, a very flat course, smooth pavement, extremely easy access to water, almost no traffic, etc. Throw in things like hills and traffic lights and the average speed would plummet.
Old 05-22-06, 06:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Big Paulie

BTW, as a cyclist born in '53, I take great solice knowing that because I'm so much older than you, I have a built in excuse!!!!
Well, I guess I could make the same claim, except I was born in 1939. Does that count?