Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Unclipping from "clipless" - one foot or both?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Riding with slip-ins, do you unclip one foot or both?
I always unclip both feet when approaching an intersection.
10.71%
I always unclip just 1 foot (the same one each time) when approaching an intersection.
73.21%
I always unclip 1 foot but the foot varies from right to left at times.
7.14%
Unclip? What is that? I do a track stand.
1.79%
What are clipless?
7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 05:28 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Okay, one of our 50+'rs says he unclips both feet upon appropaching an intersection. I only unclip one - the same foot each time. What about you? 1 or 2?

What do 50+'rs do?

=============================================================================
For those of you who forget reading the stickies "because they are always there," and might be interested in reading new postings to stickies

Simply "subscribe" to the sticky using the thread tools function, and everytime a new post is entered, it will show on your user control panel when you click on it. Otherwise, it won't show.

For example, to subscribe to the "Thread to Share our Rides" click on the link below, then click on "thread tools" then click on "subscribe."

https://69.16.211.161/showthread.php?t=129399

Next time there is a post in this thread, when you click on your user control panel, it will automatically be there!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-29-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 05:41 PM
rvdv

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
He might hve a good point, I always unclip my right foot only, but just 2 weeks ago I unclipped my right side at the bottom of my very steep driveway and the bike was leaning left when I came to a complete stop. Guess what happened, and I've been riding clipless for 5 years?
Old 05-29-06, 06:36 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

For those of you unfamiliar with clipless, they are devices into which you clip shoes with a special clip on the bottom (I know, the name makes no sense) which take the place of platform pedals.

Here is an inexpensive Shimano "clipless" pedal.

Here are some bicycling sandals (which I use exclusively) and to which one can affix a special clip on the bottom to fit into the device above.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-29-06 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-29-06, 07:00 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
You didn't provide an appropriate response for me, Denver, so I used "what's clipless?" I have regular old toeclips and straps on all of my bikes. I keep the straps just loose enough to allow me to yank a foot out, as needed. I almost always pull out the left foot and keep the right on the pedal, which is usually at the bottom of the stroke at that time. While stopped, I pull the right pedal up and then back so that the crank is about 45 degrees advanced from the top of the stroke, which then gives me a good strong push-off with my stronger leg.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-29-06, 07:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by John E
You didn't provide an appropriate response for me, Denver, so I used "what's clipless?" I have regular old toeclips and straps on all of my bikes. I keep the straps just loose enough to allow me to yank a foot out, as needed. I almost always pull out the left foot and keep the right on the pedal, which is usually at the bottom of the stroke at that time. While stopped, I pull the right pedal up and then back so that the crank is about 45 degrees advanced from the top of the stroke, which then gives me a good strong push-off with my stronger leg.
Yes, I should have included "toe clips" with the clipless question. The responses would be equally valid. Sorry, but you can't edit a poll.
Old 05-29-06, 07:36 PM
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Typically I unclip my left foot all of the time. The exception is when I am at an intersection with a left to right uphill grade, then I unclip the right foot, and yes, I do have to think about it.
Old 05-29-06, 07:41 PM
Deej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
left foot 99.9% of the time. The .1% is when I fall!
Old 05-29-06, 07:57 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
As many of you know from a previous thread, I'm new to clipless. I've made a decision not to favor one foot as recommended by more experienced clipless users. My reasoning is, I will be using clipless pedals on my mountain bike. There will be many times when I will need to un-clip urgently and I won't be able to predict the attitude of the bike. Therefore I've decided to make a habit of unclipping both feet. However, I noticed that I tend to favor leaning to the right when I'm approaching a stopping point.
Old 05-29-06, 08:41 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only unclip when it suits me(Catrike). Until my trike I hadn't used clipless for more than 5 years. I didn't really notice any difference. On my trike safety dictates that I clip in. It took me a couple hundred of miles to get used to that.
Old 05-29-06, 08:51 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think about it anymore. Always the left foot and toe down. The right foot stays clipped in. My left cleat is almost worn completely to the screw hole from it, while the right cleat looks almost new

Which reminds me, I need to change that before it lets go...

Steve
Old 05-29-06, 09:01 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I almost always unclip both. Not 100% but close.I am heavy traffic allot, so; I also tend to unclip for the technical bits and just pedal on my insteps.
Old 05-30-06, 05:54 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I always unclip the left foot. I used to unclip the right first, but got tired of the chainring digging into my calf when my attention was on traffic and not which way or har far I was leaning the bike.
Old 05-30-06, 06:23 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always unclip on the left, that way when I slip off the pedal from a poor clipin I just get a bruise rather than an unsightly chain mark. BTW I rotate the clips on my shoes to keep even wear.
Old 05-30-06, 08:26 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a right-foot unclipper. If there's a curb on the right I usually rest the foot on that so I stay on the saddle.

Hmmm...rotating your clips...that makes sense! Thanks stonecrd.
Old 05-30-06, 12:57 PM
Desertrat

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano, Rivendell touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always unclip the right foot because that is the one I put up on the curb at a stop sign or light. No problem....just an automatic thing.
Old 05-30-06, 02:44 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I didn't vote because I vary quite a bit. Sometimes I ride with clipless and sometimes with toe clips Sometimes I track stand and sometimes I put my right foot down. I never unclip/release straps with just the left foot, though. My left leg is stronger than my right from fencing (lunging) and so I like to use it to get that first pedal push.
Old 05-30-06, 06:21 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Left 100%, whether riding clipless or with toe clips and straps.

I think it comes from my former life as a motorcyclist, the foot brake was on the right and was always held down with the right foot when stopped. The left foot had to be the put down foot.
Old 05-30-06, 06:30 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use BMX pedals. With soft soled shoes, they "lock" your feet to the pedals. But, you can get off the pedals instantly when you need to.

"Clipless" pedals were designed for pro cyclists who ride three or four hours without stopping, on roads where the only vehicles are those supporting the race. Using these "racing" pedals in urban traffic, with stop signs and stop lights every hundred yards, and raging cagers to your left and right...a recipe for a trip to the hospital.