Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

source for computing distances in Europe

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 03:41 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a source on the internet to compute distances between destinations (on bike) in Europe. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Specifically, I'm interested in riding from Amsterdam to the Champagne region in France, via Belgium, and would like to compute the distance for various routes and otherwise plan for a trip...and determine if I will also do the Loire Valley (bus or train from Champagne to a town in the Loire Valley).

I did a mapquest diretions/mileage for Belgium, but, it seemed to be along major driving routes, and took me along the coast. I would like to try other permutations, for example, riding as directly south to France as possible. Or, following a blegian beer route, as another example.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-06, 04:28 PM
challengea2z
In planning

Bikes: Revell custom tourer,Kona Stinky,Omega TI,Gaint TCR,Simonchinni,Raliegh ti,S&M Next Gen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try this site I've just planned a 5000 mile route over 90 days through 14 countries using it, and it worked fine for me. www.uk.map24.com/
Old 05-31-06, 10:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You might try mappoint. It was a great program for the longest time, then when their beta version first came out, it completely sucked. It was just like that google program and only had info for the US. I just went in there now and it looks like they've been working on it and it seems to have improved a bit again.

It doesn't look as nice as it used to and it is a little clumsy to use, but it might be worth experimenting with.
Old 06-01-06, 08:54 AM
rpc180

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R700 2002 Cannondale R3000 2013 Masi CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using www.viamichelin.com. Its even got a 'biking' route option, but only limited to a max of 30km at a time. I guess they don't expect most people to ride more than that.
Old 06-01-06, 09:22 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at Route Planner, it's pretty detailed.
Old 08-12-06, 04:06 AM
botvot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Microsoft's Autoroute is nice, and very detailed. You have to select your preferred roads, eg major, toll, minor etc. then it plans your route on your preferred road types.
Old 08-12-06, 06:15 AM
Deej

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used www.gmap-pedometer.com on local rides and found it to be within ~5K on a 100K ride.
Old 08-12-06, 10:54 AM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
I'm looking for a source on the internet to compute distances between destinations (on bike) in Europe. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Specifically, I'm interested in riding from Amsterdam to the Champagne region in France, via Belgium, and would like to compute the distance for various routes and otherwise plan for a trip...and determine if I will also do the Loire Valley (bus or train from Champagne to a town in the Loire Valley).

I did a mapquest diretions/mileage for Belgium, but, it seemed to be along major driving routes, and took me along the coast. I would like to try other permutations, for example, riding as directly south to France as possible. Or, following a blegian beer route, as another example.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Om Gosh when you told me you were going to Europe...you didn't mention you were riding. Details missy Are you going with a group of some sort? FB you are positively inspiring
Old 08-12-06, 08:11 PM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amsterdam to Reims, France.

Given that if we tried very hard, we could make it to Reims in about a week. But, instead, we'll be zig-zagging through Netherlands and Belgium before we hit Namur (check out a map for reference), and then head south a bit more directly.

Originally, I was going to bike alone, but, when I mentioned it to a friend, her email response was "OMG, if I had a bike, I'd go with you". Before I could respond, I got another email to the tune of "a friend said I could take her touring bike. Can I come with you?". I agreed. Honestly, I was very much looking forward to the adventure of traveling alone, but, this particular friend is adventurous in ways I won't detail here, so I will not be bored with her company. Let's just say that mutual friends of ours have bets on us...that we won't make it out of Amsterdam.

I wish I could leave today..........