Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CR list crossover

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CR list crossover

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 08:09 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I get the emails and spend more time deleting them than reading them. But I have got some useful stuff there.

I won't post there, on account of the name and address requirement; too much googlable information.
We should be careful not to misrepresent: it's name, city, state/province, and nation, not name and address. Less anonymous than a pseudonym, but you're not totally hanging out there.
Old 06-22-10, 08:18 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Its not like anybodys checking up on you... If you aren't comfortable giving out that info just fake it.

I find that in those cases making your location an obviousfake will just make the people who actually have a good purpose to know your location simply ask you for it.

I like to choose Sheik, Djibouti.
Old 06-22-10, 08:31 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by lotek
I'm on the list and take it in Digest form, I like it since instead of getting 23 separate emails they get bundled into one. The digest form also makes following threads a bit easier.
I agree with CdM that the quality of content has suffered since I first joined almost 10 years ago, I especially note the absence of people like eRICHIE, Chuck S. Greg P. and others.
That said the posts by Ted Ernst, Norris Lockley, and a few select others make wading through the BS worth it.

marty
All lists and forums have an issue with existing expertise, new expertise, and the sometimes conflicting expectations that newer and older users have. Plus people sometimes assume the standards of discourse and behavior are the same for all lists and forums, each of which is really it's own community. We can even see it in this thread where some will not accept a poor or outmoded format, and others either tolerate it or sidestep it's issues in order to access the content. Different strokes for different folks, and there are a lot of different folks.

I know Greg is very busy with his business, which contains some new initiatives needing lots of his attention.
Old 06-22-10, 08:33 AM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
zaphod, you mean sheik yerbouti?

anyway, the risk of using your real name is probably very small, but adds lots of credibility.
Old 06-22-10, 08:36 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
We should be careful not to misrepresent: it's name, city, state/province, and nation, not name and address. Less anonymous than a pseudonym, but you're not totally hanging out there.
Right you are, and thanks for the correction.

It's not that I want to remain anonymous; I don't mind if everyone on this forum knows who I am and where I live. I just don't want to create a vast archive of posts that will turn up every time someone googles me, whether today or ten or twenty years from now. My name is unusual enough that, last time I checked, a google search turned up less than a half dozen people with my name, and its not hard to sort them all out, especially if city and state are right there as well. I don't want that.
Old 06-22-10, 08:53 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 61 Posts
I think the "name, city, country" signoff rule was implemented way before google became the default way to search, stalk or spam someone.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 06-22-10, 09:09 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
There is some merit to the 3 posts/day limit.
Old 06-22-10, 10:39 AM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I have a question that I need a quick insightful answer to, there's still no better resource, but I don't check the postings regularly too much anymore. The emails don't bother me as they go to a seldom used account and I just do a mass delete when it gets to be too much. And yes, it can be elitist, folks get a little bent out of shape, there can be "staggering immaturity" (wait that's me), but who on this forum is going to cast a stone? As for the sign-off, I think it has less to do with spam and more to do with building community, where we at least have some information on who the poster is, much like the "location" entry on this forum. It's also really handy to do a quick search when you're just interested in a local topic like a group ride, etc.
Old 06-22-10, 11:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
There is some merit to the 3 posts/day limit.
I just looked at the archives this morning, one guy mrabbit?! has seven already today. I don't see a limit, other than a limit to his intellect.
Old 06-22-10, 11:26 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
zaphod, you mean sheik yerbouti?
Yep, its what I'm hinting towards

except "Djibouti" is a real country that you can pick from the list and then it asks you for the City.... that and even for non-Zappa fans saying "Djibouti" is fun.
Old 06-22-10, 11:42 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemore
1+ in that I have a separate email account. That way I can sort the CR mail into a bunch of sub categories.
I am with Road Fan, you get a certain type of expertise from the list that you don't fine elsewhere.
ditto to both comments

The subset of people is different, but I have made a bunch of friends, both there, and here. I received a lot of help from several of the long-time members of CR when I was getting back into cycling and bicycles. My Hetchins was received in a trade with a CR member (for a bicycle I obtained from a BF member), and the annual Cirque du Cyclisme is an outgrowth of the CR list. True, there are a few who tend to be "jerks" and "snobs", but even most of them have redeeming qualities. From my perspective, the value added exceeds whatever inconveniences and irritations the I encounter. I respect that the equation might not be the same for others, but if nothing else, it would be helpful for folks to know that it exists, and that it is another resource for our interest in older bicycles.
Old 06-22-10, 11:45 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
...I know Greg is very busy with his business, which contains some new initiatives needing lots of his attention.
I wondered if you knew Greg. He has the most impressive basement I've ever seen. Please tell him the soccer player has retired, but says, hello.

Last edited by USAZorro; 06-22-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 11:51 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I just looked at the archives this morning, one guy mrabbit?! has seven already today. I don't see a limit, other than a limit to his intellect.
Ha! CR's ears must be ringing and so presented us with a great flame war. Isn't mrrabbit the one who used to post here primarily to warn about Mexican built Benotto? Haven't seen his warnings in a while.

At any rate, I assume he'll get a friendly email from Dale.
Old 06-22-10, 11:53 AM
norskagent
car dodger

I've gotten a lot more info, entertainment, and insight from reading some of the compiled posts and archives than I have been put off from some of the negativity that occurs there. Some of the "back in the day" accounts are amazing. I've also bought a few items offered up to the list, even though I haven't joined (yet). In a way watching them sort out their differences is entertaining, they tend to do it with more verbal bite and formality than on ordinary forum disputes, which usually devolve into chaos.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 06-22-10, 03:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7360 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,453 Posts
You had to make me go look, didn't you? Well, I looked today. I read a bunch o' messages. I'm satisfied for a good while now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-22-10, 04:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,722 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Ha! CR's ears must be ringing and so presented us with a great flame war. Isn't mrrabbit the one who used to post here primarily to warn about Mexican built Benotto? Haven't seen his warnings in a while.

At any rate, I assume he'll get a friendly email from Dale.
and he was bragging about beating up on newbies here at BF too, that was a proud moment. I thought you just got cut off and had to beg for reinstatement when you realized you weren't getting emails. Dale said that sometime in the last month.
Old 06-22-10, 05:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
I suppose I'll visit that site when I install a cyclocomputer or start using gloves.
Old 06-22-10, 05:50 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I was a member years ago but got tired of the emails filling my mailbox. Now I just read the archives and only open what interests me. Still good info over there.
Old 06-22-10, 05:51 PM
norskagent
car dodger

robbie, just mull over the archives, or research them for something of interest, you will appreciate.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 06-22-10, 05:54 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by repechage
Yeah, the rules claim a limit, but enforcement is an issue - there's only one List Dad.
Old 06-22-10, 07:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3609 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 1,952 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Its not like anybodys checking up on you... If you aren't comfortable giving out that info just fake it.

I find that in those cases making your location an obviousfake will just make the people who actually have a good purpose to know your location simply ask you for it.

I like to choose Sheik, Djibouti.
I always use my real name, but there's this: https://rig.sourceforge.net/