Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lighting Advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lighting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 06:13 PM
NorthFWRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lighting Advice

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and to commuting. I was just looking for some advice with low cost lighting options.

Currently I have an Axiom Lazer 200 Lumens headlight and the matching 25 lumens tail-light (both rechargeable). I also have a Nite Ize Spoke Lit on my rear wheel.

I'm worried that I am not visible enough from behind, but do not have room on my seat post for another light. I also would like a wider scope of light in front of me.

What are my best ($15 - $20 price range) options?

Thanks,
- NorthFWRider
Old 02-01-15, 06:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Thousandth repeat on this one Have you done a FAQ look back thru the other' I want a Cheap Light' queries

theres that whole Deal Extreme and Magic shine fan club that will be mentioned many Times

Have a LBS you Like going to? to see and fondle before Buying?

OK over, stated Budget . in the back ... I happen to like these The blinking tail Lights are inside the seatpost itself LightSKIN LED-Sattelstütze

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-01-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 06:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,510 Posts
IMO the greatest bargain in bike lights isn't a bike light. It's the Duracell flashlights at places like Costco. My most recent set of 300 lumens lights cost less than $20.00 for 3. I mount a pair using an improvised block for stability, and a a long O-ring/ or rubber band to hold them in place. My usual arrangement is a pair of beams aimed one forward of the other. I keep the battery pack from the 3rd light with me as a backup.

The lights take 4 aaa, batteries, which need to be shopped hard to keep the cost down, or you can use NiMH rechargeables, but the light output will be lower, and life shorter. I run NiMH for the commute,and keep alkalines as my backups.

BTW- since these have a round cone beam, it's important to keep it down a bit, or aimed slightly to the right. That's never been a problem for me, but if an approaching car has their high beams on, I tap the forward light, and swing my bars a bit, and it never fails to get the desired response.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-01-15, 06:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The two fish double velcro strap mount to use that flashlight is a functional Add On Twofish Unlimited - Bicycle Accessory Fasteners
a bit more solid than the rubber band scheme
Old 02-01-15, 07:17 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Any modern LED rear lamp is good enough, even he cheap ones.
Keep it on constant mode at night, to allow distance estimation. If you want a blinking lamp, use an additional one. You can attach to seatpost or bag. If you have a luggage rack, use a bracket at the rear.
You can attach to offside seat stay but this is obscured from some angles.
Old 02-01-15, 07:26 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO the greatest bargain in bike lights isn't a bike light. It's the Duracell flashlights at places like Costco. My most recent set of 300 lumens lights cost less than $20.00 for 3. I mount a pair using an improvised block for stability, and a a long O-ring/ or rubber band to hold them in place. My usual arrangement is a pair of beams aimed one forward of the other. I keep the battery pack from the 3rd light with me as a backup.

The lights take 4 aaa, batteries, which need to be shopped hard to keep the cost down, or you can use NiMH rechargeables, but the light output will be lower, and life shorter. I run NiMH for the commute,and keep alkalines as my backups.

BTW- since these have a round cone beam, it's important to keep it down a bit, or aimed slightly to the right. That's never been a problem for me, but if an approaching car has their high beams on, I tap the forward light, and swing my bars a bit, and it never fails to get the desired response.
+1. Also, my Costco has a packaged set of 10 AA and 4 AAA batteries WITH a single cell charger on sale for $24. The batteries alone would normally cost $35.

I've bought numerous sets of these lights. If your commute is under an hour, they are ideal. Over an hour, they are more of a pain, but still doable.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
The two fish double velcro strap mount to use that flashlight is a functional Add On Twofish Unlimited - Bicycle Accessory Fasteners
a bit more solid than the rubber band scheme
These are well worth it too. You can get them for about $2 ea from Deal Extreme, if you have the patience to wait 3-6 wks for delivery. Universal Adjustable Bicycle Mount for Flashlights (2cm~4cm Diameter) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The nice thing is, you can get built in redundancy, PLUS higher output when needed:

Edit: If you go this route, rechargeable ENELOOP batteries are the only way to go. Which I realize puts it outside of your specified price range. However, I use these flashlights around the house for everything - not just commuting - so they are worth it to me.

Alkaline batteries may give you more total light output over time than the NiMH eneloops, but for most of that output time, the light will be unacceptably dim. I would not run alkalines in these lights unless you are a very occasional commuter, no more than once a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20111213_0002-2.jpg (95.9 KB, 436 views)

Last edited by loky1179; 02-01-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 08:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
One or two PB Superflash for the rear. Cheap and very bright.
Old 02-01-15, 08:28 PM
NorthFWRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response everyone. You've given me some good ideas for headlights. However I was primarily concerned with being seen from the rear.

Someone mentioned having my light on constant instead of flash. Is a constant better than flashing? I feel like flashing is more noticeable.
Old 02-01-15, 08:53 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorthFWRider
Someone mentioned having my light on constant instead of flash. Is a constant better than flashing? I feel like flashing is more noticeable.
This is another topic that has been the subject of many threads----a very simple search will give you several days of reading.

Boiled down result of debate............there is no conclusive research that has been done and you will spend days of reading nothing but opinions of the individual poster.

Try both options yourself and see if you can tell a difference in the reactions of drivers. If you can, decide which setting you like and run it.
Old 02-01-15, 09:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5859 Post(s)
Liked 2,702 Times in 1,510 Posts

There's a sense that it's harder for drivers to estimate range and speed with strobes. So there's a trade off, you're noticed sooner, but the driver may think you're farther away than you actually are.

I use (illegally) an amber strobe because that's used for stationary hazards, so the driver will expect to reach me sooner rather than later than he actually does.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-01-15, 10:49 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
I just bought a Nightrider TL-5.0 Rear Taillight specifically because in addition to the rear facing LEDs it has sideward facing LEDs for great side visibility and much greater than 180 degree visibility. NiteRider TL-5.0 Rear Bike Light - REI.com
Old 02-02-15, 04:34 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
PLUS higher output when needed:

Oh, I get it. Stacking them up like that makes the output higher.

Placing the third one on top of the second, instead of next to the first one, would give you even higher output.
Old 02-02-15, 11:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The nice thing is, you can get built in redundancy, PLUS higher output when needed:

Edit: If you go this route, rechargeable ENELOOP batteries are the only way to go. Which I realize puts it outside of your specified price range. However, I use these flashlights around the house for everything - not just commuting - so they are worth it to me.

Alkaline batteries may give you more total light output over time than the NiMH eneloops, but for most of that output time, the light will be unacceptably dim. I would not run alkalines in these lights unless you are a very occasional commuter, no more than once a week.
I can just imagine trying to keep all of those batteries charged, that must be quite a chore. Could you run a Lion battery in a sleeve instead of the aaas in there? That would be easier to recharge.
Old 02-02-15, 09:02 PM
loky1179

Originally Posted by no motor?
I can just imagine trying to keep all of those batteries charged, that must be quite a chore. Could you run a Lion battery in a sleeve instead of the aaas in there? That would be easier to recharge.
Not ACTUALLY my current lighting setup - but I had a bunch of those flashlight mounts, and a bunch of flashlights, so I just had to try it!
Old 02-03-15, 12:29 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Not ACTUALLY my current lighting setup - but I had a bunch of those flashlight mounts, and a bunch of flashlights, so I just had to try it!
How'd it work?
Old 02-03-15, 02:49 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What are my best ($15 - $20 price range) options?
A 25 lumen tail light is quite bright. Another cheap 5 lumen light won't make much difference (other than redundancy). I'd recommend spending $25 and buying a hotshot sl or similar bright 2W tail light.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 02-05-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 06:07 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

As others have stated there really isn't a conclusive "best", I compromise and have one of each, a dyno powered steady with battery powered flasher.
Old 02-03-15, 06:53 PM
loky1179

How'd it work?
Did you ever see "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? It was pretty much like that, minus the extra-terrestrials .
Old 02-03-15, 07:47 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the quick response everyone. You've given me some good ideas for headlights. However I was primarily concerned with being seen from the rear.
The main suggestion I have is to add a second rear light. Unlike the headlight, the rear one can fail without you're even being aware of it for some time. The battery can fail, there could be a bad connection inside the light, the light mount may have failed letting the lamp fall off, etc. In this case you'd be especially vulnerable during the time before you become aware of the failure.

So redundancy in the form of a totally separate second light is especially important for a tail light. If there's no room on the seat post you should be able to attach a second light to your seat stay.
Old 02-04-15, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

multiple battery taillights if you insist on only battery lights .. which only coming up with $20 is all you got.

$100 for a built dynohub front wheel .. gets you started into a system that you wont have low battery blackout problems..
Old 02-07-15, 09:31 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uhhhhhhhhh wow. I mean, .....hmmm. Wow.

For about ~$100, one can purchase a nice setup that uses a single rechargeable battery, one tailight and one headlight. I run

https://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-Cyc...rds=magicshine

and

https://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-MJ-...ine+tial+light

There are cheaper and more efficient options out there. I know this is quite a bit more expensive than running 23 cheap flashlights in conjunction, but it's a simple setup, easy to take off of the bike, and recharges with a common 110 outlet, and is sealed off from the elements. Lighting is one of those things with cycling where cheaping out isn't really the best way to go; I would have argued the other way a couple of years ago, but after riding with my current setup I have changed my tune. I still think some of the crazy $500+ setups are overkill, but even if you work a min. wage job and live within your means it is not impossible to save the money it takes to get a setup that will compete with modern automotive HIDs.

OP, I would suggest buliding up your budget to run something much more substantial...I understand the need to run cheap. When I started cycling I was a full time college student with a wife and kid. Ebay is your friend, in this instance. Craigslist may also be an option for you. Do you drink beer? Eat out? Pay for cable TV? Smart phone data plan? Take a little out of another budget, and score something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/MagicShine-MJ-...rds=magicshine

Last edited by jfowler85; 02-07-15 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-07-15, 09:48 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Did you ever see "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? It was pretty much like that, minus the extra-terrestrials .
I used to ride with an advertised 4,000 lumens of lights, and 3,000 of those could be used as strobes. I got stuck first in line at the rail road crossing one twilight night when a train was going by, and I turned them all on strobe to see how the light looked reflecting of the crossing arms and the street signs. It was pretty wild.
Old 02-07-15, 09:24 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to ride with an advertised 4,000 lumens of lights, and 3,000 of those could be used as strobes.
I had a similar setup. Now I run a single Light & Motion Urban 650. I found out that a little bit of well focused, usable light is more useful than a lot of useless bright. Besides, it weighs well over a pound less and recharges for free with my solar panels.
Old 02-08-15, 09:39 AM
CigTech

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just get one of these 1200 lumen lights from Amazon. I had one for 2 years and man it's bright. I run my light on low and cars still flashed me their hi beams.

Amazon.com : SUPERNIGHT(TM) CREE XML T6 LED Gold Bike Headlight Headlamp Bicycle Light With Rechargeable 4400mAh Battery, 1200 LM, Waterproof(IP66), for Cycling, Riding, Hunting, Camping, Traveling, Hiking, Caving, Climbing (Black+Golden) : Sports &
Old 02-08-15, 10:01 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Light and Motion 500 lumen, but I find the optics crude, so I clamped on a cowl made out of aluminum flashing with a black duct tape cosmetic wrapper. With this cowl arrangement it is very easy to avert the beam from oncoming rider's eyes, and would be suitable for a low-cost flashlight solution as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Torch.jpg (34.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-08-15 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.