Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Handlebar issue

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Handlebar issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 06:17 PM
Sgt8706

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Quick5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar issue

Hello. My current handlebars are straight bars with a 20mm rise. I'd like them a little higher and back a bit closer to me. I already replaced the stem. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 07-21-17, 06:38 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like your new stem didn't work then, what size is your new stem (length and degree) ?
Old 07-21-17, 07:10 PM
Sgt8706

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Sounds like your new stem didn't work then, what size is your new stem (length and degree) ?
Hi Scooty. The replacement stem is a Ritchie Comp stem 30° rise and 80mm in length. It did pull the bars in close and raise them higher then the factory stem. I'm just looking for a little higher and/or in closerror so I'm sitting up straighter. I have two herniated disc in my back and on long rides their screaming.
Old 07-22-17, 05:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
What type of headset do you have? Is it a threadless headset or a threaded headset with a quill stem?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Old 07-22-17, 08:15 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm assuming from the description he gave its a threadless head set. If it is you could try a shorter stem and/or higher angle. There's also the option of using a adjustable stem, that might be a better choice for you. Here's a example.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...waAnl8EALw_wcB
Old 07-22-17, 02:12 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Install a boxer bar ends.
Old 07-22-17, 02:33 PM
hokiefyd 

You can install an adjustable stem, and you can also try some different handlebar types. Trekking bars (also called butterfly bars) can be comfortable (and will allow you to change your hand positions, and will bring much of the bar closer to you). Also look at Northroad-style bars (which are swept back a bit). These also bring the hand position closer to you.
Old 07-22-17, 03:18 PM
Sgt8706

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
What type of headset do you have? Is it a threadless headset or a threaded headset with a quill stem?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Hi. It is a threadless style.
Old 07-22-17, 03:20 PM
Sgt8706

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your reply. I appreciate your time.
Old 07-22-17, 05:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Sgt8706
Hi. It is a threadless style.
There are some limitations with this type of headset. You generally can't adjust the height of the stem's base very much. I think there are some aftermarket riser adapters, but I don't have any experience with any of them, and I'm not sure how reliable they are. You can really only adjust the angle and the length of the stem, and the angle is limited to some degree (they don't make stems with super steep angles, to really get the bars up high). The adjustable stem type linked by Scooty Puff Jr above will probably be your best bet.

As an alternative example, I'm currently doing up a trekking bar for my Trek 750, because I had a similar desire as you (get the bar further back and higher up).

My bike has a threaded headset with a quill stem, so height is adjustable on this (and I have an adjustable quill stem in it on top of that, so I can adjust height AND angle), but the point I want to make is regarding the design of the bar itself. You can see the main grip areas are some inches back from the end of the stem (almost as far back as being even with the fork steerer tube!). So you have that main grip area, but then the bar also curves back forward, and then there is another grip area AHEAD of the stem. So you can really fine-tune your hand positions and find what's most comfortable to you. I also find that changing my body angle during a ride, in addition to the hand position alone (by moving from the back to the front grip area, for example) is helpful for comfort.

The bar is the same diameter as a standard mountain bike bar (22.2mm), so existing brake levers and shifters are compatible, provided you have enough cable and cable housing to reach your new mounting locations.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-17, 06:32 PM
Sgt8706

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
There are some limitations with this type of headset. You generally can't adjust the height of the stem's base very much. I think there are some aftermarket riser adapters, but I don't have any experience with any of them, and I'm not sure how reliable they are. You can really only adjust the angle and the length of the stem, and the angle is limited to some degree (they don't make stems with super steep angles, to really get the bars up high). The adjustable stem type linked by Scooty Puff Jr above will probably be your best bet.

As an alternative example, I'm currently doing up a trekking bar for my Trek 750, because I had a similar desire as you (get the bar further back and higher up).

My bike has a threaded headset with a quill stem, so height is adjustable on this (and I have an adjustable quill stem in it on top of that, so I can adjust height AND angle), but the point I want to make is regarding the design of the bar itself. You can see the main grip areas are some inches back from the end of the stem (almost as far back as being even with the fork steerer tube!). So you have that main grip area, but then the bar also curves back forward, and then there is another grip area AHEAD of the stem. So you can really fine-tune your hand positions and find what's most comfortable to you. I also find that changing my body angle during a ride, in addition to the hand position alone (by moving from the back to the front grip area, for example) is helpful for comfort.

The bar is the same diameter as a standard mountain bike bar (22.2mm), so existing brake levers and shifters are compatible, provided you have enough cable and cable housing to reach your new mounting locations.

Good luck!
Thank you very much. Very informative.