Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Add second chainring to Raleigh Willard?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 09:39 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I'm getting back into cycling after a long hiatus and I am really excited about what I'm seeing with gravel bikes. It really fits into how I've always ridden but only with an old road bike or MTB.

Anyway, I've owned a Raleigh bike in one form or another for 30 years now and I am leaning towards the Willard. What's a big departure for me, is that a lot of these bikes come with only a single front chainring. I think I will want to have a double chainring because that's what I'm used to, and my body will probably really appreciate a smaller front ring for hills.

So has anyone specifically added another chainring to a 2017 Raleigh Willard? Does the Willard have a routing path for the extra front derailler cable? Is there even a front shifter on the bars or is it just a brake lever? I have a bike with Ultegra shifters. Could I move the front shifter and front derailler to the Willard?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-21-17, 10:51 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1X or 38/42(lowest) gearing is already enough to handle climbs of gravel grinding. I dont see any reason for you to add anymore chainring for the willard.
If you're problem that a 38t would slow you down, just putting a bigger ring is the better mods that you can do. You dont need to do something in your cockpit. You'll just ruin your bike.
Old 09-22-17, 05:32 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by atgcpaul
So has anyone specifically added another chainring to a 2017 Raleigh Willard? Does the Willard have a routing path for the extra front derailler cable? Is there even a front shifter on the bars or is it just a brake lever? I have a bike with Ultegra shifters. Could I move the front shifter and front derailler to the Willard?
No, it's not set-up to easily go back to 2x. No. It's just a brake lever. Maybe, what kind of mount is the front derailleur? Course you also need to figure out how to route the housing/cable and potential chainline issues.

I think you probably either want to fully embrace 1x or find a bike that's stocked as 2x. Worthwhile to go test-ride a 1x bike, there's a bunch out there now.
Old 09-22-17, 09:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by atgcpaul
https://www.raleighusa.com/willard-6834

Just get this one- the Willard 1. $693 total shipped to you- Sora 2x9 drivetrain, TRP Spyre dual brakes and anti-shock bits in the cockpit.

With that said- the Willard 2 has an overall easier climbing ratio as its a 38t ring with a 42 cassette cog. Thats compared to the 2 ring Willard 1 that is a 34t ring with a 32t cassette cog.

As mentioned though- either you are all in for 1x or you should probably look elsewhere for 2x.
Old 09-22-17, 03:32 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just get the Willard One. The One is 2x9, the Two is 1x11. Same brakes, frame, tires, wheels, etc, if I'm not mistaken. The bike you want already exists.
Old 09-22-17, 07:14 PM
pennpaul

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go another direction. After some compare/contrast, I'm seriously looking at one of the Diamondback Haanjos. I really like the specs on the EXP Carbon but I think those barend shifters would bother me after having used STI shifters for road and trigger shifters for MTB for so long. So it's either the EXP or the Trail now, but I really want to like the EXP.

First world problems.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 09-22-17, 07:44 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Either way you go. Diamondback or Raleigh you can order from the corporate site for a significant discount. I don't recall the code but searching the forum here should turn it up.
Old 09-22-17, 08:00 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by danmyersmn
Either way you go. Diamondback or Raleigh you can order from the corporate site for a significant discount. I don't recall the code but searching the forum here should turn it up.
Thank you, yes, I am glad I found out about those codes here. Otherwise I wouldn't even be entertaining getting either of these bikes. The Raleigh discount is a lot better. One code is CYCLE4PERK and the other is CYCLE4TAW
Old 09-22-17, 09:37 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
FYI, on the Raleigh site you can often stack a 5% off code on top of your partner program deal. I left something in my cart overnight and Raleigh sent me a reminder with the additional code to sweeten the deal. Ended up getting somewhere around 45% off list in the end. The code was save5 or something like that if I remember correctly.
Old 09-23-17, 05:47 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by syncro87
FYI, on the Raleigh site you can often stack a 5% off code on top of your partner program deal. I left something in my cart overnight and Raleigh sent me a reminder with the additional code to sweeten the deal. Ended up getting somewhere around 45% off list in the end. The code was save5 or something like that if I remember correctly.
Brilliant! Thank you! I suspected this was the case, but could not find an additional code until now.

BTW, it's apparent to me that Diamondback and Raleigh are pretty much the same company and use the same website. The SAVE5 code works on the DB site, too. Woohoo! (I also tried SAVE6, SAVE7, etc which did not work).

OK, I pulled the trigger on the Haanjo Trail. Not as inexpensive as the Willard but I like the component set better on the Trail.

I also have an account on EBATES which has a link to the Diamondback website. I'll get an additional 2% cash back check from EBATES plus whatever cashback from paying with my Costco card.

Last edited by pennpaul; 09-23-17 at 06:20 AM.