Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Huret Allvit bashing thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 09:39 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts

I am in the long process of restoring and redoing a 73 Schwinn Super Sport for my son. I have all the nice stock parts but I just can't bring myself to put the Schwinn GT200 on it. I want all stock on it and have been really planning on the Huret, and read a few positives about a properly set up and lubed one. I cleaned this one up a bit and noticed a bent pivot axle/screw at the top pulley. I took it out and bent it back pretty straight while thinking how that was a pretty wimpy item concerning its locational importance and stress. Back together it went, and upon observation, the pulley cage is not on the same plain as the hanger bolt. I guess more bending would be in order.

Schwinn approved Huret GT200

I just don't think I can bring myself to put this on this bike, even though the goal is a stocker for him and I have most of the parts in very nice condition, and have touched up the paint a bit. Marks in this pic will be under the FD.

crank from 72

I think in the end I will just put my old Suntour V-GT on it so as to not saddle him with problems.
Old 12-05-20, 10:01 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Yeah, the Suntour will be sturdier, and will shift better over such a wide freewheel range ((especially if modern chain is used)).

I don't usually mess with a messed-up Allvit, since I can find a good one so easily at just about any swap-meet or co-op type of place (and I already have a box full of them).

The Supersport's long cage Allvit featured the longer cage AND a different claw mount bracket which positioned the derailer body more rearward, so with modern chain there will be quite a large, flexible chain gap between the pulley and freewheel when using the smaller cogs (again, especially if modern chain is used).

I only ride with modern chain and with a 13-28t 6s freewheel on my Supersport, so I used the standard Allvit and just modified the linkage to swing across six cogs.

Old 12-05-20, 10:13 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
If I am seeing your photo correctly so early in the morning, the linkage appears to have come from the factory with the sort of notch (see mine with Dremel-cut notch marked in red) meant to increase the derailer's outward travel.
I think this is the first time I have seen this on any variant of the Allvit, though I am aware that "Schwinn Approved" components had many modifications not touted in Schwinn's (or obviously Huret's!) literature.

Not seeing the notch on this later version's linkage either, though on this one it was the swaged head of the non-removable cage-pivot shaft that I had to really use the Dremel on to achieve 6s throw.
Also notice here the single CAST main para arm and wrap-style full chain guiding cage, meant to preclude the sort of loss-of-chain-control stress and strain (flexing) that probably caused yours to become bent:

Last edited by dddd; 12-05-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-05-20, 12:50 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Correct

You are correct that the linkage is relieved just as yours is. I got 3 bikes at the co-op so this RD came from one of them so I don’t know the history. Two were from 73 and one a 72. I replaced the stock RD on my 73 SS shortly after I bought it in 75. It has been shifting 6 speed Suntours for decades. Currently that bike has a compact double in front with a VXs rear DR.

I may look at the co-op to see if they have a nice Huret, but I may not want to subject my son to that. He may also not be as attentive as we are. I was planning on the stock 14-32 five speed freewheel and I have a little used, I think, stock Sedis chain from one of those. Trying for as close to stock as I can get.

Next up is a truing stand for Christmas to learn about wheel truing, and a search for bar tape.
Old 12-05-20, 04:01 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
And here I was thinking that by "bashing" you all meant "having a moan about" - but no, it's just another term for monkeying about with stuff to make it work (sometimes/better).

As you were, then.
Old 12-05-20, 05:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I had a 75 Super Sport for several decades with the original drive train on it. Toured all over the Midwest during that time and even started to "learn" racing on it. Never gave me any trouble. Don't understand the gripes people have with it. Mine was perfect to the end.
Old 12-05-20, 06:19 PM
sd5782 

Bashing gently

Originally Posted by oneclick
And here I was thinking that by "bashing" you all meant "having a moan about" - but no, it's just another term for monkeying about with stuff to make it work (sometimes/better).

As you were, then.
I was gently bashing so as not to offend our Francophiles. 95% of what I have read, and 100% of my very limited experience is negative. However, I am a slight bit more experienced mechanically now in my older years. With wanting a totally stock build I was keeping an open mind to the Huret with the advice of others of proper setup and care. I wouldn’t pay big bucks for one, but if I find a nice Schwinn approved Huret in top condition, I may try it again. Those old Schwinns were not known for the gentle care and fastidious maintenance of the owners, so that certainly let to lots of early failures. I’m keeping an open mind here.
Old 12-05-20, 08:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
... I’m keeping an open mind here.
...when it originally appeared, back in 1958, the Allvit was very forward looking. Huret Allvit derailleur (1st style)
But 1958 was a long time ago, and just because Schwinn used a lot of them, over too long a time period, we tend to forget that time marches on.

If I had a Suntour Vx rear derailleur, and I was giving this bike to someone not all that mechanically sophisticated, I'd use it.
It's not that hard to overshift the derailleur in your picture into the spokes of the rear wheel, if it gets bent in a fall or drop.
Old 12-05-20, 09:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 2,231 Posts
Winter season for many riders.
Time of year to analyze componentry.
I learn a lot that gets applied to Wrenching and General Knowledge.

My Huret Svelto is not getting mounted yet, but the Sachs/Huret Rival has worked well for many years.
Old 12-05-20, 09:10 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I was kinda, sorta thinking of installing an allvit on a bike I'm building up just because it's period correct. I haven't played with one in a long time but I always did think they were kind of crummy. Plus the prices on the ebay for huret allvits is just nuts.
Old 12-07-20, 11:13 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I was kinda, sorta thinking of installing an allvit on a bike I'm building up just because it's period correct. I haven't played with one in a long time but I always did think they were kind of crummy. Plus the prices on the ebay for huret allvits is just nuts.
That's Crazy, I had no idea they were asking that much for these anchors, looking at sold items it seems $20 to $25 seems to be what they are selling at ,though a few NOS ones sold for crazy money.
When I am building up old Schwinn's that are going to be ridden I always go Suntour cause they just work so much better. I still have two or three NOS Alivit's in my bins and used ones that I don't think I would ever use.

Glenn
Old 12-07-20, 12:07 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
I have a Huret Challenger on a 1976 Raleigh Super Course MkII, and it's been nothing short of reliable, smooth and accurate--- a very pleasant surprise, given its reputation as a kind of "meh" derailleur. I agree that a Suntour Vx would be the way to go for someone who is likely to give the derailleur a hard life, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Huret Challenger on another bike of mine.
Old 12-07-20, 12:21 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
I have a Huret Challenger on a 1976 Raleigh Super Course MkII, and it's been nothing short of reliable, smooth and accurate--- a very pleasant surprise, given its reputation as a kind of "meh" derailleur. I agree that a Suntour Vx would be the way to go for someone who is likely to give the derailleur a hard life, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a Huret Challenger on another bike of mine.
I also give a thumbs-up to the Huret Challenger and its lighter cousin the Success as to how well they function. Aesthetically, they have a kind of half-life: they look okay until you lose/break the plastic insert in the upper knuckle and then the adhesive backed "Huret" label loses its stickiness and falls off.
Old 12-07-20, 12:33 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...when it originally appeared, back in 1958, the Allvit was very forward looking. Huret Allvit derailleur (1st style)
But 1958 was a long time ago, and just because Schwinn used a lot of them, over too long a time period, we tend to forget that time marches on.

If I had a Suntour Vx rear derailleur, and I was giving this bike to someone not all that mechanically sophisticated, I'd use it.
It's not that hard to overshift the derailleur in your picture into the spokes of the rear wheel, if it gets bent in a fall or drop.
Great comments. The Huret Allvit was a huge improvement over the outdated Simplex derailleurs that [dis]graced the original Varsinentals in 1960. There is a great story about Schwinn parts manager Keith Kingbay, the father of the Varsinentals, getting the Huret brothers drunk over a steak dinner in Chicago, to where they agreed to meet Lucien "Simplex" Juy's price. (The difference had been $1.27 in 1961 dollars.)

My first road bike, a low-end 1962 Bianchi Corsa, routinely snapped gearshift cables, partly because of my own inexperience, but also because of the high spring tension and low cable pull leverage of the Huret Allvit. I upgraded to an American Eagle Semi-Pro (Nishiki Competition) in 1971, and it has been SunTour and Campagnolo for me all the way ever since, with an occasional Shimano unit.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-07-20, 12:34 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I just looked in Frank Berto's book on derailleur history. He gives a rough estimate of 5 million Allvit derailleurs produced between 1958 and 1983. So there must be plenty of them bouncing around out there somewhere. New REcord Campagnolo rears are selling for 40-50 bucks on ebay in pretty decent shape. But generally, all the rear derailleurs I see on ebay seem to suffer from the ebay price bump.
Old 12-07-20, 01:17 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Great comments. The Huret Allvit was a huge improvement over the outdated Simplex derailleurs that [dis]graced the original Varsinentals in 1960. There is a great story about Schwinn parts manager Keith Kingbay, the father of the Varsinentals, getting the Huret brothers drunk over a steak dinner in Chicago, to where they agreed to meet Lucien "Simplex" Juy's price. (The difference had been $1.27 in 1961 dollars.)

My first road bike, a low-end 1962 Bianchi Corsa, routinely snapped gearshift cables, partly because of my own inexperience, but also because of the high spring tension and low cable pull leverage of the Huret Allvit. I upgraded to an American Eagle Semi-Pro (Nishiki Competition) in 1971, and it has been SunTour and Campagnolo for me all the way ever since, with an occasional Shimano unit.
I had an American Eagle Semi-Pro for about 10 days in 1970 - that is how long it took to get stolen. My first bike with an alloy cotterless crankset, Suntour derailleurs and first acquaintance with half-step gearing. I had locked it with a chain and padlock to a lampost outside the public library in the evening where I was doing homework and when I returned it was gone. Since the police station was adjacent to the library it was a very short walk to report the theft. The officer came outside and found little shards of metal where the bike had been parked. He speculated that it was Stanford students that had access to liquid nitrogen and that they "froze" a link of chain (taking it below its ductile/brittle transition) and then shattered it with a blow from a hammer. Being only 17 at the time, I had no idea if this was plausible or not but it made a good story to tell my friends.

But had I locked up a bike with a Huret Allvit derailleur I suspect that I would have found it still been chained up to that lampost when I finished my homework.