Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Update On New Chain

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Update On New Chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 11:23 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Update On New Chain

I bought an IZUMI chain a while ago for use on my 5 speed freewheel. I've been using it for about 2 months now. My expectations were low because of the low price. I was wrong. It has been great.

It shifts almost like indexed shifting - up, down, front and rear..

It is so absolutely quiet, it is almost a problem. I can hear all sorts of little creaks and pops which were never before evident.

The sound of the tires on the road is now the dominant sound, just the way it should be.

Thanks, Fried Chicken, for referring me to that IZUMI chain.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 01-14-24, 10:34 PM
wildOG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
I tried to buy an Izumi chain from their website exactly a month ago. They billed my account for $25.99, and sent me an email with a link to check my order status, which hasn't gotten further than "pending fulfillment". I sent them a message through their site asking about the status a week ago, and heard nothing back. Today I sent them another message through their site, asking to cancel my order and refund my money. Tomorrow I will likely be contacting my bank to see if there is anything they can do for me. Just a warning to anyone who sees this thread and thinks ordering from their site might be a good idea.
Likes For wildOG:
Old 01-15-24, 02:39 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by wildOG
I tried to buy an Izumi chain from their website exactly a month ago. They billed my account for $25.99, and sent me an email with a link to check my order status, which hasn't gotten further than "pending fulfillment". I sent them a message through their site asking about the status a week ago, and heard nothing back. Today I sent them another message through their site, asking to cancel my order and refund my money. Tomorrow I will likely be contacting my bank to see if there is anything they can do for me. Just a warning to anyone who sees this thread and thinks ordering from their site might be a good idea.

Did you order from https://www.izumichain.com ? I see that you're in California. They are in Japan, and shipping can take a while with no or spotty tracking. You also placed an order shortly before the New Year holiday period, when things slow to a crawl in Japan, which might add to any delay. Was your message in English? If so, that might be an issue, too -- you might try an English to Japanese translator -- I'm told by a Japanese speaker that although grammar, etc. is not good that Google translate gets the gist/substance of the English to Japanese translation right. In short, I'd not be so quick to assume ill intent... ordering from small e-commerce sites oversea is different than going with Amazon.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 01-15-24, 03:14 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by wildOG
I ordered mine through Amazon. I got it the next day, two at most. In fact, after that first order and when the chain proved to be so nice, I ordered a second. Again, basically one day delivery. So, I am 2/2 - batting a thousand !

Thanks again, Fried Chicken (the username).
Old 01-15-24, 03:18 PM
wildOG

Originally Posted by JulesCW
Did you order from https://www.izumichain.com ? I see that you're in California. They are in Japan, and shipping can take a while with no or spotty tracking. You also placed an order shortly before the New Year holiday period, when things slow to a crawl in Japan, which might add to any delay. Was your message in English? If so, that might be an issue, too -- you might try an English to Japanese translator -- I'm told by a Japanese speaker that although grammar, etc. is not good that Google translate gets the gist/substance of the English to Japanese translation right. In short, I'd not be so quick to assume ill intent... ordering from small e-commerce sites oversea is different than going with Amazon.
I was thinking the same, that maybe translating to Japanese might yield some response or acknowledgement. Their site is all in English for me, and placing the order seemed straight-forward enough. I did place the order 2 weeks before New Years, and it's now 2 weeks after. I've had no issues with getting stuff from Europe which is further from me, on Ebay, Etsy, or businesses like Eurocarb for my Vintage VW projects. I would expect it to take about 3 weeks max, which is why I started writing them asking order status at 3 weeks.

The Tracking on their site hasn't changed from "Pending Fulfillment", so I've been completely in the dark since day 1. I wouldn't expect that they'd debit my account until the order was processed, or past where it's been at since I made the order, so it all seems pretty shady. I've sent another message, this time translated to Japanese. I guess I'll see if I get a response.

I've already pulled the trigger on a nos Sedis chain from ebay — I can't just wait around forever for months or years for what might not come at all.
Likes For wildOG:
Old 01-15-24, 03:27 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
wildOG They are a manufacturer, they have a distributor network for a reason. If you are in the US, order through a local distributor like Soma (Merry Sales), Ben's Cycles, etc... Ordering direct from a small manufacturer is almost never cheap or fast.
Old 01-16-24, 02:01 AM
Bad Lag

Link to Amazon

Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 01-16-24, 10:09 AM
wildOG

Definitely I should have got it on Amazon. Somehow I figured they had a distribution center in the US. I think the sorting/filter feature on the site narrowing down which chain for my application, and the prices being 30% less is why I errored to order directly.

The Japanese translated email finally got a response, “Our staff reply on Thursday. Sorry for your inconvenience caused.” - They definitely didn’t reply this past Thursday so maybe they mean some other staff is going to reply this coming Thursday? … idk, I think the $25 is a write off at this point.
Old 01-16-24, 10:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I got a SRAM 8 speed chain from a local bike shop and I think I paid about $25 or so for it and it works very well. I always check with them before buying on line , immediate gratification
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-16-24, 10:39 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I got a SRAM 8 speed chain from a local bike shop and I think I paid about $25 or so for it and it works very well. I always check with them before buying on line , immediate gratification
Can't go wrong with the SRAM 8-speed, which is my go-to chain for everything I own.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 01-16-24, 10:43 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The above-referenced chain is an old-fashioned bushed-construction chain that would not be known for the lighter weight and quieter running at normal chain-crossing angles afforded by modern, bushingless chain.

Their modern derailer chain is referenced as "Click Index" or some such, it's also a bushingless design and is narrower at 7.2mm width for use with as narrow as 7s cog spacing.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Izumi+cli...ref=nb_sb_noss
Their narrower, modern "click index" chain will better clear the front derailer cage without constant trimming at the shift lever, will require less lubrication, is lighter, and is more flexible for reduced friction as the chain crossing angle increases.
It also features some degree of beveling of the inner edges of the sideplates, to better grab a larger cog or chainring that you are shifting to (somewhat making up for it's reduced lateral rigidity in terms of having good shifting response despite significant variation in chain gap across the gearing range).

It does not however seem to feature the sort of connecting link/pin that is associated with holding up to hard shifting over today's hyperglide-style cogs.
The short, pre-fitted connecting pin that it comes equipped with is perhaps best fitted to the bike using long-handled production shop pliers that help align the pin with the hole in the opposite side plate, lest the pin perhaps shear a crescent-shaped shard of metal from the hole, loosening it's fit greatly.
I've installed many such chains using regular chain tools, but take great caution to assure that the pin doesn't catch the edge of the opposite side plate during insertion.

Izumi seems best known for their single-speed chains, where they are known as a premium chain maker with a decently long history, particularly in the area of track racing.

Last edited by dddd; 01-16-24 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-18-24, 12:09 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts
dddd

Can you use a spare quick link from some other brands chains for any chain (provided it's the same speed)? I've never tried that and wondered in the past if that would work.
Ignoring things like trying to use a Shimano part with a Campagnolo of course!
Old 01-18-24, 12:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Bad Lag, is your chain 3/32"? If so, thanks for posting! I've wondered if they made other than 1/8" since I was turned on to them years ago. Those 1/8" Eco chains are just rock-solid reliable chains. (I believe carried by QBP so any shop can get them.)
Old 01-19-24, 12:38 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Might I add my 2 cents... (adjusted for inflation,two dolla's) for PYC chains. Took a chance on their SP9008 hollow linked chains for a few vintage weight weenie projects. Neither build has yet seen a 1,000 miles but seem excellent especially for the low cost.

From what I've read, the principal / founder is a Mr. Paul Chen whom has decades in the bike industry and formerly of KMC.
Old 01-19-24, 02:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
dddd

Can you use a spare quick link from some other brands chains for any chain (provided it's the same speed)? I've never tried that and wondered in the past if that would work.
Ignoring things like trying to use a Shimano part with a Campagnolo of course!
It depends on the chain and on the particular quick-link. There are differences between chain and link brands of the width of the inner link, such that KMC actually sells two different widths of 7-8-speed connecting links, to be used on different derailer chains meant for 7-8sp use.

As far as the pin diameter and the nominal 1/2" pitch, I have measured differences in the roller-to-roller distance surrounding various brands of quick-links.
This is usually not an issue, but when for example I am connecting a Campagnolo 11s chain using an aftermarket link, I use only Shimano's more expensive 11s link because it shows measurably better installed pitch tolerances than KMC's or SRAM's.

So for this Izumi "Click Index" chain, I would install the narrowest connecting link that will actually install without use of much force. The popular SRAM 8s connecting link is too narrow for all but a few Shimano (IG) 7-8s chains, but might work on the Izumi chain depending on the exact width of the inner link.

KMC's "Missing Link II" was the former name of their narrower (7.1mm vs 7.3mm) 8s connecting link. They now simply state the width on the packaging, so no more "II" designation. most SRAM and Shimano IG chains used the 7.1mm width, and Shimano HG used the 7.3mm width. Note that some early-1990's SRAM 7-8s chains were offered in both of these "nominal" widths, which supposedly reflect the over-pin measured width, but which is not actually a measure of the critical inner-link width.

Note that 9s inner-link widths became more standardized between brands, but then 10s-width chains came along, again having differing inner-link widths between rivals Shimano and SRAM (using the wrong brand of link can make for difficult installation and severe binding of the connected link hinges, or can allow the link to too-easily separate).

Repeating history, yet-newer 11s chains seem to have again become more standardized in terms of inner-link widths, but chain makers have become more vocal about only using their own brand of link on their chains.

Last edited by dddd; 01-19-24 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-01-24, 02:31 PM
Bad Lag

One more update on this old thread, if I may.

I ride (almost) every day. It's been 3 months using this UZUMI chain and couldn't be more satisfied with it. It still shifts beautifully and silently.

This thread is about using one particular IZUMI chain for a C&V 5 speed freewheel, not 6, 7 or anything else, no other chain type or application. There is no "chain rub". The chain is not heavy. So I'm not sure what that discussion is all about or why it's here.

The chain does not come with, nor do I use, any sort of "quick link". I use a simple chain tool. It is easy to do and does not cause any damage whatsoever.

It's time for a ride, before the rain gets here.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Bad Lag; 03-01-24 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-01-24, 08:46 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
I thought everyone knew about Izumi chains, but maybe just the fixie crowd.

For 6/7/8 speed on vintage bikes, I'm always using Izumi. Super great price too.