Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Interesting article on why bikes will take over

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 12:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts

A lot of focus on rideshare.....certainly urban focused... interesting read if nothing else

The case for bicycles' inevitable triumph over cars - May. 5, 2017

Old 07-25-17, 01:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
That author doesn't know what he's talking about. Bikes have been around longer than cars, but the simple reality is that most people prefer riding in cars to riding bikes.

Bike shares aren't going to flip that equation.
Old 07-25-17, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts

I think there is an optimist somewhere.

Does the author live in Sunny California?

There are a number of reasons that bikes won't triumph.
  • Exposure to the elements
  • TIME
  • Cargo Capacity
  • Convenience.
Some things like bike shares and E-Bikes may help with some of this. But... isn't fitness one of the reasons for cycling, which E-Bikes at least reduce (fake fitness?)

I would hope cyclists passing bus stops would make an impression on the bus riders, but apparently they don't notice.
Old 07-25-17, 01:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Bikes will never surpass cars because to most people, riding a bicycle is hard work. People in this country would rather turn to electric mobility scooters than ride a bike.
Old 07-25-17, 01:48 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I much prefer riding a bike to a car. But even when work was only 10 miles from home, I still didn't ride every day. Now that work moved to 25 miles from home, I ride perhaps once a week. In the US, a hell of a lot of people work more than 5 miles from home, and most people aren't willing to ride that far even once.

That's completely leaving aside the fact that at least 90% of people in the US believes that riding a bicycle in the street (apart from quiet residential areas) is straight up suicidal and you couldn't pay them to do it. Most wouldn't even ride in a good bike lane on a busy street.
Old 07-25-17, 03:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think e-bike is game changer. When battery price comes down...it will begin to dominate.
i see a convergence with self driving pods
Old 07-25-17, 03:15 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Most wouldn't even ride in a good bike lane on a busy street.
I see a lot of people around here riding on the sidewalks next to the bike lanes.

Or, perhaps riding in the bike lanes across the street, against the flow of traffic... and they know they're going the wrong way whenever I have to pass them.
Old 07-25-17, 03:23 PM
CliffordK

I think e-bike is game changer. When battery price comes down...it will begin to dominate.
One still gets wet and one is exposed to the elements in the E-Bike. Plus, perhaps the perception of risk.

One thing that will have to happen would be governments actively supporting them. If the governments start taxing them and restricting their use, then they'll remain fringe.

The meter reader carts, Piaggio Ape, and similar vehicles have never gotten wide acceptance in the USA, and in some places are illegal. In other countries, those micro-vehicles are extremely popular. I would think the E-Bikes would fall in the same category.
Old 07-25-17, 05:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
A lot of focus on rideshare.....certainly urban focused... interesting read if nothing else

The article's content seemed more appropriate for The Onion.
Old 07-25-17, 05:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CliffordK

I think there is an optimist somewhere.

Does the author live in Sunny California?
Maybe in Chicago and got confused.
Old 07-25-17, 06:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
Chicago, Philly, and NYC are pretty flat, and are really good candidates for cycling to take over. I live in a place where there is 3k of climbing just to get to work. I can get there without getting too sweaty, but for most people an ebike would be necessary to accomplish that. I have thought about getting one, it would be really nice to get to work without much work at all
Old 07-25-17, 09:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

That's completely leaving aside the fact that at least 90% of people in the US believes that riding a bicycle in the street (apart from quiet residential areas) is straight up suicidal and you couldn't pay them to do it. Most wouldn't even ride in a good bike lane on a busy street.
There's only one reason why they think riding a bicycle on the street is suicidal: cars.

The question to those people would be is "Why is bad driving acceptable that one would rather discourage cycling than enforce good driving?"
Old 07-25-17, 09:51 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 573 Posts
I suspect that overall it will be a substantially similar market niche to that now filled with by underpowered scooters. Less expensive e-bikes may take a decent chunk out of their sales, but I don't imagine in most areas there will be a lot of converts outside of that. Weather and safety remain two big issues to most of the untapped market and the e-bike does nothing to address those.
Old 07-25-17, 11:54 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
This article is mainly pushing e-bikes. Here we have a large number of mopeds, which seem to me about equivalent in capability/utility. So mopeds would have taken over if they were obviously superior. The only difference I see is there is no "share" option for mopeds, so that might open up some new uses.

scott s.
Old 07-26-17, 01:27 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Far more practical in reducing traffic congestion would be staggering shifts effectively; look at the difference between traffic at 0530 and traffic at 0730. For places that don't need an 8-5 schedule, simply not having shifts that put people on the road from 0700-0800, 1100-1300 and 1700-1800 would spread things out enough to de-congest a lot of roads.
Now that I have a <1mi commute and a 0900-1800 schedule, it's amusing to see how much clearer the roads are at 0900 than at 0805 when all the habitually late people are trying to hit warp 4 on feeder streets.
Old 07-26-17, 03:58 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That author doesn't know what he's talking about. Bikes have been around longer than cars, but the simple reality is that most people prefer riding in cars to riding bikes.

Bike shares aren't going to flip that equation.
I doesn't need to. As you said, people prefer riding in cars, not beeing stuck in cars. Cars are just too inefficient in terms of space to allow for cities to really bloom. The merit of a city over the countryside is it's density, particularly the densitiy of economic and social activity. Mass car use leads to congestion and longer travel distances slowing activity down. Cars and the countryside are a lovely combination, cars and the city are not, there's a fundamental conflict when you have a means of transport that excels in long distances but takes a lot of space in a place that excels in density and short distances, and has little space.
Old 07-26-17, 04:36 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Gleamingly optimistic and yet, conceivable within an urban environment.

Atlanta has seen the bike share program expand several times since it's roll out a year-ish or so ago. There is an event here in the next few days where the program is expanding to Buckhead. Was reading a traffic study about the bike lanes that were installed a few years ago. It saw a big burst and then sagged in usage until the bike share came out, and almost all the bike lanes have seen an explosion in usage. Of course, it's summertime....

It would be nice to see our infrastructure modified or rebuilt in such a way to allow for easier bike commuting, shopping, etc.
Old 07-26-17, 05:26 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Maybe in Chicago and got confused.
Bike The Drive is a tremendous event and I have participated in it quite a few times. Unfortunately, it only happens once a year. I wish LSD was like this every day, but alas, that will never happen.

Old 07-26-17, 08:02 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Cars are a status symbol.
Bikes are not.

Cars are easy.
Bikes are not.

Cars are comfortable.
Bikes are not.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-17, 09:31 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
I doesn't need to. As you said, people prefer riding in cars, not beeing stuck in cars. Cars are just too inefficient in terms of space to allow for cities to really bloom. The merit of a city over the countryside is it's density, particularly the densitiy of economic and social activity. Mass car use leads to congestion and longer travel distances slowing activity down. Cars and the countryside are a lovely combination, cars and the city are not, there's a fundamental conflict when you have a means of transport that excels in long distances but takes a lot of space in a place that excels in density and short distances, and has little space.
Dense cities tend to develop public transportation if the government can afford it, enabling people that don't want to ride bikes to keep not riding bikes.
Old 07-26-17, 09:39 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

I think self-driving cars provided by companies like Uber and Lyft will dominate, and probably with many customers utilizing the car pool option (to save significant money for a modest increase in trip length). That said, the cheap and high availability of that convenient transportation will probably cause many to sell their own cars leaving them with the option to bike or walk instead of hailing a car, so I think bike use will see a modest increase, but nothing like this article predicts.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 07-26-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 01:05 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Today has been an awesomely gorgeous day with many roadies out, more than in the past. What I have also noticed in much greater numbers than usual is the increase in bikes in town by people just doing daily errands. This region has many small towns between Boston, Providence, New Haven and NYC. Most of these towns are excellent for getting about on a bike so I can see an even larger increase in bike use for other such similar regions but I do not see bikes "taking over". With increased bike use in many areas, I expect to see better infrastructure for bikes such as MUPs, popular with parents, joggers and walkers, so funding is easier to justify by politicos, and many more roads with good shoulders for cycling. While bikes will never dominate road use, conditions for roadies gradually get better year by year. We have to take the long view.
Old 07-26-17, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Chicago, Philly, and NYC are pretty
Philly is quite large and has a good amount of relief in numerous parts of the city. We even have single track mountain bike trails with good climbing. Where you see the most people using bikes for other than sport riding (e.g., transportation, commuting) is in center city and the surrounding neighborhoods, which are mostly flat.
Old 07-26-17, 08:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where you see the most people using bikes for other than sport riding (e.g., transportation, commuting) is in center city and the surrounding neighborhoods, which are mostly flat.
Isn't that true mostly everywhere that bikes are popular, though the the busiest area might not be called center city elsewhere but it will be mostly flat?
Old 07-26-17, 08:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Bicycles represent self confidence.
Cars do not.

Bikes are easy.
Cars are high maintenance.

Bikes are comfortable.
Cars create rage.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.