Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ok to mix CX-Rays with a few CX-Sprints?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 12:21 AM
Self Evident

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Zipp 404 Firecrest front wheel.

According to the "Specs" tab at: https://zipp.com/wheels/404-firecres...rbon-clincher/ ,

404 front wheels should have 248mm Sapim CX-Sprint spokes. However, the spokes in my wheel (really a friend's) are only 245mm in length, and are of a noticeably and measurably lighter "gauge" than the Sprints I just bought. (Measurements included at end.)

On the length, the factory spokes clearly do not reach the bottom of the slot in the spoke nipple (by about 1mm). And, a couple of years ago, after the third nipple head popped, I replaced the factory aluminum nipples with brass nipples. No heads have popped since (knock on wood...).

(Also, my wheel only has 16 spokes, not the 18 spec'd on that page.)

Anyway, my main question for now is:
On a wheel built with CX-Rays, is it ok to use CX-Sprints to replace a few (3) damaged spokes?

(Damage caused by a brief, glancing collision with the rear derailleur of another cyclist. Remaining spokes and wheel carefully examined and appear ok.)

I sent an email to Zipp after 5pm today (Wed), so no respones yet, of course. In the meantime, I would like to hear of any potential issues/considerations others may have to offer.

So, thanks for any input!

Code:
Spoke Data:

Stock spokes (cx-rays?)
measured: .037" x .086" (~ .94mm x ~2.18mm); mfg specs: .9 x 2.2

CX-Sprints
measured: .047" x .087" (~1.19mm x ~2.21mm); mfg specs: 1.25 x 2.25
Old 08-08-19, 08:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
It seems that your wheel is a different version then that in the spec sheet. So I wouldn't spend too much time comparing the specs.

Many wheels end up with replacement spokes of differing shape and/or gauge then the origonals. What the shop has on hand when the wheel comes in is the big reason. Sometimes the different spokes are more robust and last longer then the origonals. The rim or hub don't care as long as the replacement spokes are of the correct length and fit in the hub/rim. Andy
Old 08-08-19, 11:26 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Self Evident
Zipp 404 Firecrest front wheel.
age.)

Anyway, my main question for now is:
On a wheel built with CX-Rays, is it ok to use CX-Sprints to replace a few (3) damaged spokes?
[b]
It will be mechanically fine, but I wouldn't because the greater thickness will preclude matching tension at the same tone.

I'd order a few CX-Rays in the same length from a shop like wheelbuilder.com that sells individual spokes.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-08-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 02:33 PM
Self Evident

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, Zipp was prompt to respond this morning. I'd given them the serial number, and sure enough, the wheel was built with CX-Rays. However, this is all moot, as the wheel is also under a recall, as per this PDF.

As a side note, after noticing the difference, I was inclined to order some Rays anyway, if only for the uniformity of it all - tone, tension meter values, etc. I was also annoyed that I didn't measure them in the first place. Plus, I was also annoyed because I had to order the spokes twice - first time I didn't pay attention to the fact that they are straight-pull. Oh well...

Anyway, hopefully the recall deal will be a simple process.