Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brooks Swallow rails breaking.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 03:35 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 386 Posts

A friend asked if I could help him replace his Brooks Swallow because he broke the seat rails. He said this was the second time he broke the rails on a Swallow. He asked me what I thought caused it. Both rails broke at the back of the seat clamp. To me, it looks like they snapped in an upward motion. They guy isn't heavy (maybe 170). I asked him if he ever tensioned the saddle. He said he never did and it's about six years old. Could lack of tension be the cause? I can't think of anything else.

Old 12-21-23, 03:41 PM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
Wild. What seatpost is he using? There is a lot of distress on the rails NOT where it is broken. I'm wondering what the post to rails interface looked like before it broke.
Old 12-21-23, 03:51 PM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by purpurite
Wild. What seatpost is he using? There is a lot of distress on the rails NOT where it is broken. I'm wondering what the post to rails interface looked like before it broke.
I'm not sure. There was no brand on it. But, the clamp looks exactly like this Ritchey. The bolts were very tight. Well, tighter than I would have made them.

Old 12-21-23, 08:47 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Clamp crimped. Chromed rail has compromised steel. The corrosion depicted along with the crimping caused a stress riser. In time, the inevitable happens.

The coated Brooks rails will look crummy in time but doesn't have the compromised steel that chrome causes.

Brooks also offered for the Swallow (and other models) a titanium railed frame that won't corrode, but they stopped production for that particular model. It too has limits for rider weight.
Old 12-21-23, 11:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
That seatpost looks to have a shortish clamp. Longer clamp, less force at the clamp edge when you are not seating right over the clamp. Excess clamping pressure will add to what the clamp edges do in that off-clamp-center seating position when you hit a bump. Also, look at the seatpost clamp itself. And the clamp edges, front and back, both top and bottom although bottom is more critical - are they nice, generous rounds or near square? You want a nice, generous rounds. Square concentrates the load at exactly the points stressed in my first two points above.

A fine round file will make turning sharp edges into gentle rounds easy. The rounds on that Ritchey post look good. (I'm not surprised. He knows his stuff.) If your friend is heavy or a bike killer, a post with a long fore and aft clamp will be a benefit. Seeking a post setback to best center the clamp in the rails can also help (though the current marks look pretty close to center).

I ride ti railed seats. If I don't pay attention to the above, it costs me bucks and a ride home. (And this is all covered in first semester sophomore year engineering. Yes, the most rugged rails don't break when abused. But some of us ignore rail durability while seeking comfort, etc. when we buy seats. We can give those rails better living conditions. m )
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-22-23, 12:34 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I'll bet you a buck there is a stress riser in the seat clamp that means all the loading happens at the back, right where it broke. It isn't the seat (or seats), it's the clamp.

Inspect it carefully and maybe even hone the clamping surfaces, especially the trailing edges, before reusing it.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 12-22-23, 05:04 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Did it creak at all before failure - the discolouration of the lower break looks like corrosion - if so it would have happened first, taken some time for the second, and might have complained a bit in the meantime.
Old 12-22-23, 07:42 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
If the post wasn't a Ritchey it could have been a like twin parallel bolt Kalloy SP-376. Kalloy heads are notorious for having a short clamping area on the rails. I won't use them for that reason alone. I have those classic Ritchey posts, the rail clamp is large and the edges are smooth and free of abrupt edges. Plus it holds the seat very well without the need for undue torque. So if the person who broke their rails because of over tightening the clamp, I doubt it was Ritchey.
Old 12-22-23, 09:44 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
I have often thought about the small bearing surface that some seatpost clamps have for the saddle rails, and wonder if a very small cro-mo or alloy 2-part 'shim' in the shape of a half-circle tube, super thin, and about the size of the saddle rail, sandwiched on both the top and bottom of the rails in between the seatpost clamp, could alleviate those stress riser points. Would weigh next to nothing, and help distribute the load across the rail.

I looked and saw nothing like this, but if I ever get a ti-railed saddle, I'm going to fab some up just for extra insurance.

Old 12-22-23, 09:53 AM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by Garthr
If the post wasn't a Ritchey it could have been a like twin parallel bolt Kalloy SP-376. Kalloy heads are notorious for having a short clamping area on the rails. I won't use them for that reason alone. I have those classic Ritchey posts, the rail clamp is large and the edges are smooth and free of abrupt edges. Plus it holds the seat very well without the need for undue torque. So if the person who broke their rails because of over tightening the clamp, I doubt it was Ritchey.
Originally Posted by oneclick
Did it creak at all before failure - the discolouration of the lower break looks like corrosion - if so it would have happened first, taken some time for the second, and might have complained a bit in the meantime.
He didn't say anything about it creaking. I looked up the Kalloy SP-376. It definitely wasn't that post. The strange thing was: the rail at the bottom of my pic, broke just inside the clamp area. You can see the line where the end of the clamp was just after the break. In fact, when I saw it, I asked him if that rail broke first and he slid the saddle forward in the clamp to try to get more life out of it. He said he didn't.
Old 12-22-23, 10:15 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I'm in favor of the seatpost clamp theory here, either the clamp was over tightened or the clamping area was very small, possibly a burr on the edge of the clamp caused a stress riser on the rails.

I have seen a very nice looking "Ritchey" seatpost that was a counterfeit item and it was junk. It would not sufficently clamp the saddle rails, the clamp was poorly designed. Fake parts are out there, they look genuine but they are not.

Another thought - does the rider "un-weight" going over bumps ? I hear people saying they want to ride lightweight wheels and other parts "are those wheels OK for a 240 lb rider" ?

My response is that it's all about riding style. Some people are very easy on equipment. Others, not so much

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-22-23, 10:50 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The lower rail in the image shows dark, the upper rail bright, it was the last to go. My hunch was the saddle was more flexible and comfortable for a time.
‘while the clamp position is not extreme, my thought the position on the saddle was.
‘I am of the opinion that on these the post clamp should be centered on the overall length of the saddle or best, the clamp at the center of the load.

there was a reason that old track riders used a support “rod” from the nose to the top tube.
Old 12-22-23, 12:02 PM
gearbasher

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I'm in favor of the seatpost clamp theory here, either the clamp was over tightened or the clamping area was very small, possibly a burr on the edge of the clamp caused a stress riser on the rails.

I have seen a very nice looking "Ritchey" seatpost that was a counterfeit item and it was junk. It would not sufficently clamp the saddle rails, the clamp was poorly designed. Fake parts are out there, they look genuine but they are not.

Another thought - does the rider "un-weight" going over bumps ? I hear people saying they want to ride lightweight wheels and other parts "are those wheels OK for a 240 lb rider" ?

My response is that it's all about riding style. Some people are very easy on equipment. Others, not so much

/markp
We'll, he said the first Swallow he broke happened when he "accidently" slammed into a pothole without getting off the saddle. So, maybe he isn't that easy on equipment.

Originally Posted by repechage
The lower rail in the image shows dark, the upper rail bright, it was the last to go. My hunch was the saddle was more flexible and comfortable for a time.
‘while the clamp position is not extreme, my thought the position on the saddle was.
‘I am of the opinion that on these the post clamp should be centered on the overall length of the saddle or best, the clamp at the center of the load.

there was a reason that old track riders used a support “rod” from the nose to the top tube.
I guess I should have mentioned that he is using a "set-back" post. When we were adjusting the position of the new saddle, I told him I like to keep my Brooks saddles slightly nose up. He said he did the same thing to keep from sliding forward onto the nose. My theory is: He is probably sitting too far forward on the saddle. On top of that, since he never tensioned it, it's like he's sitting in a hammock. Because of this, when he hits bumps, the force is pulling the heel plate forward. This is what caused the rails to snap in a (what appeared to be) upward motion. Well, it sounds good to me.

Anyhow, I think I'll kill all the birds with one stone. I'll suggest he gets a new post with no set-back and a wider clamping area. Move his saddle forward a bit. And, tension it when it gets "soft".

Last edited by gearbasher; 12-22-23 at 04:56 PM.