Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Detached garage: how to store bikes while locking in for security AND saving space?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Detached garage: how to store bikes while locking in for security AND saving space?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 09:50 PM
Theresse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello -

My husband's and my bike were stolen a few weeks ago from our detached garage. Luckily they didn't steal 3 kids' bikes nor the Madsen bucket bike (cargo/utility bike) - the latter because they couldn't figure out how to back it up while it was sandwiched in between other objects.

I have a new bike on the way an my husband still needs to get a new one but at any rate rather than turning the garage into a fortress (it's a door that lifts to open and it has a lock) I'd like to lock the non-cargo bikes to the garage somehow - or else to an immovable bike storage rack of some sort. At any rate our garage is far too cluttered so I'm wondering if there's a bike storage thing I could buy that you guys specifically recommend for saving space in a garage and that will hold 2 adult bikes and 3 kids bikes?

If they're wall or ceiling-mounted racks, I guess my ability to lift them into place will just depend on how heavy the bikes are (and of course if the beams are strong enough to hold all that weight as well?). Though kids bikes are lighter...

Thanks!
Old 03-18-12, 10:06 PM
zenith

Bikes: 91 Bianchi squadra, 94 CCM black ice, 02 eclipse hybrid, 88 Fiori Piquante, 2013 Deddaccai, 1930's Humber and many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's no luck... There's a lot of things that can be done. I've found this: https://www.satoridesigns.net/wp-cont...ke-lockers.jpg There's also other kind of bike storage units available on the web.
It seems like a quite safe storage idea. This way they don't have to be hyper locked to each other. Also is there a way to secure the garage door other than the lock? We use wise grips and screw drivers to keep the garage door shut if someone want to enter they need to remove the doors.
Just a thought.
Old 03-19-12, 04:20 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
That sucks. I have had more than my share of bikes stolen from garages and storage sheds over the years. Things I have done to circumvent it: Hang the bikes on the wall, with a locking point behind it on the wall, usually a large eye bolt, that is through bolted. Put eye bolts in the floor to lock too. They also make bicycle lift systems that will allow you to pull a bike up to the rafter height. Not quite sure how you would lock those. I would also consider a motion alarm on the garage that would go off and scare the crap out of them. If you use a couple of different methods you probably will slow them down. FWIW I am willing to bet that the thieves are someone from the neighborhood that knows you keep bicycles. That was the case in 3 of my 4 thefts.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-19-12, 05:44 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why can't you just lock your garage?

You could do like Lowes and Home depot and get a 30 foot chain and / or cable and padlock your bikes to something. But if they're already in your garage, they will probably have all the time they want to defeat anything you have locked your bikes up with.
Old 03-19-12, 07:30 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'd consider beefing up the locks and putting an alarm in the garage, as well as locking the individual bikes.

I keep my best/newest bikes in my home office. My old/secondary bikes are in the garage.
Old 03-19-12, 08:02 AM
zenith

Bikes: 91 Bianchi squadra, 94 CCM black ice, 02 eclipse hybrid, 88 Fiori Piquante, 2013 Deddaccai, 1930's Humber and many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaron, that's quite scary when you think that people you know might be stealing your bikes at night. Not a nice thought.
Old 03-19-12, 09:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
Why can't you just lock your garage?

You could do like Lowes and Home depot and get a 30 foot chain and / or cable and padlock your bikes to something. But if they're already in your garage, they will probably have all the time they want to defeat anything you have locked your bikes up with.
I agree once they inthe garage they have a bit of time to do their thing. a think cable is tougher to cut through than a chain and putting a few screw eyes in the studs to anchor them may help. use one cable for each bike lock them with two cables.

Do you have outside motion dector lights? Howabout inside?

One of these would your best line of defense but both the BATF and DOD are funny about ordinary citizens owning them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-19-12, 10:45 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
You could do like Lowes and Home depot and get a 30 foot chain and / or cable and padlock your bikes to something.
This is what I would do.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-19-12, 11:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. Go to the hardware store and buy 30' of the biggest chain they have. Strew it outside of your garage but be sure both ends are hidden.
2. Now go to the zoo and ask for some lion dung. Scatter that in your yard.
3. Post a nice tasteful "Beware of Doggie" sign.

That should do it.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-19-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 11:35 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zenith
Aaron, that's quite scary when you think that people you know might be stealing your bikes at night. Not a nice thought.
Unfortunately it is the truth! On two of my break-ins I had my bicycles located and knew who the perps were within 3 hours of discovering the break in. Police could have cared less. I have recovered more of my own stolen property the police every have, as well as recovering stolen bikes for friends.

Best one was a high end road bike that was stolen out of his house while on vacation, I am driving down the road in my work truck and I see a kid on what is obviously a very high end road bike, it was my buddy's bike, very distinctive. Kid was stopped at an intersection waiting for traffic to clear, I drove up next to him and grabbed the top tube, told him to either jump or get ready to ride. I recognized the little **** from the YMCA where he was in one of the after school programs. I found two of my bikes in a similar manner. Unfortunately bicycle theft is low priority for police and insurance companies have a hard time believing that a bicycle is worth more than a low deductible.

Best thing to do is to protect your investment in your bicycles by securing them as well as possible.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-19-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 12:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
tsl , I read, got some wall mount wheel hook + trays with a loop to lock the bikes to the rack ,
he apparently uses them inside his apartment.
Old 03-19-12, 12:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
You might go for the overlapping locks trick we used with the kids while camping. Every bike has it's own lock; the idea is to lock every bike to at least one other bike, preferably two other bikes, and it's great if you have at least two locks on each bike. Then, instead of rolling off a 25 pound bike, you have 120 pounds of bikes + locks that have to be carried or cut.
Old 03-19-12, 01:06 PM
SuncoastChad

Bikes: Schwinn Fred-mobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pit Bull.
Old 03-19-12, 11:19 PM
Theresse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh good - I'm so excited to see I have some responses!

I have to run off shortly but I'll answer a few things here and then I"ll come back later and read the rest of the responses:

- My garage does have a lock. It's a slide open typical garage door (not automatic) and the lock is a pretty standard one. The key isn't very beefy at all. I'd given my mom the key to go get out the bike pump for my child's science experiment and stupidly didn't make sure she locked it up again. She said "I *think* I did" and said it with no conviction whatsoever. So if I know my mom (and I blame MYSELF for this), I should have gone out and made sure it was locked afterwards. She may have thought it was locked when the door wouldn't pull up again (after closing it) however one turn of the handle would have shown her it was still unlocked (if indeed she left it unlocked). The lock isn't broken.

- They wouldn't have all the time in the world once in the garage because the door is LOUD (light aluminum-sounding, rattling thing) and sits right between my and my neighbor's house in a very echoey driveway that we share. They were very gutsy - you could spit on the garage door practically, from a corner bedroom we have there. I in fact actually heard them open it (!!!) - in the corner front bedroom - and I STUPIDLY (yet again) thought it was my next door neighbor's garage (they sit side by side) cause he's always in there late and it was 1:30 a.m. when they opened it. What kills me is I almost got up to make sure - as I have countless times in the past - but I thought I was being paranoid! The moment they opened that garage, they grabbed the two easiest things they could and quickly left. I heard either a car or truck bed door close only moments after - though oddly didn't hear the motor drive off (but I have a white noise little machine thingy in the hallway that might have drowned that part out). So in that sense, it's not the easiest place to rob.

- Also, my next door neighbors usually have a light that turns on automatically when anyone's walking between our houses back toward the garages. I'm guessing the bulb went out and they didn't bother replacing it cause they built a fence around their garage so no longer need the security. If we got along with them better I'd offer to put in a new bulb myself but they're not the friendliest beasts you ever did meet and would probably ask me in an accusatory tone who's going to pay for the electricity use. That light worked wonders though. We never once were broken into until that thing went out!

- They're not someone we know, most likely. It goes in waves in which they hit our whole neighborhood every couple of years and it's always the detached garages (thankfully) and they're always after bikes. Besides we know everyone and their dog and it's just not characteristic of anyone around here including any mischievous teenagers or anything like that. Of course i could be wrong. There are a couple of interesting characters who walk by every so often and might be scoping the places out - though we definitely don't know them (but yes, they could be watching and looking for patterns). They may have already discovered the light was out, for example. Yeah - not the happiest thought!

Ok thanks for now - very much!

p.s. my son's up super late for a school night and just saw how much I wrote here and said "Uhh, they must think you're a real chatter box." Hahaha - gulp - sorry!

Last edited by Theresse; 03-19-12 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-20-12, 05:39 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Theresse
- They wouldn't have all the time in the world once in the garage because the door is LOUD (light aluminum-sounding, rattling thing) and sits right between my and my neighbor's house in a very echoey driveway that we share.
All they have to do is close the door after they're in. Unless you go out to investigate, they might even have all the tools they need to defeat any lock.

You could always get a lock with a bike alarm and lock it to one of the bikes that's locked to all the other bikes. That way you'd know if they were in your garage or not.

However, if your garage is locked, they'll likely move on to an easier target, unless they *know* there's something worth their time in there. If you have windows, try covering them up.
Old 03-20-12, 09:59 AM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a regular entryway door to the garage? If so, you can securely lock the garage door with a padlock - better than the flimsy tumbler lock built into the garage door latch handle. My garage door tracks even have a hole in the track for a padlock.

As an old retired firefighter I can tell you that an overhead garage door is the easiest door on your house to force. All it takes is a crowbar (we used to use a Halligan Tool) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halligan_bar under the door to force it up, and the locking bars bend.
Old 03-20-12, 12:06 PM
johnhaak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a couple of the vinyl coated 'c' hooks from the hardware store and screwed them into the rafters. Then locked the bikes to the rafters. Locked, upside down and a few feet off the ground seems like enough of a deterrent for me.