Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-30-20, 07:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Lt Dan (junior) is riding a lot now. No races in site. I really want there to be a bike race somewhere.
Do you know Mektronic? Maybe you can help this guy.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...mektronic.html
Old 05-31-20, 10:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
1000+ TSS week
CTL 100

I'm a bit slow, but that's my biggest week in at least a decade.
Old 05-31-20, 12:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
1000+ TSS week
CTL 100

I see ~900 maybe once or twice per year during base, but I've never seen 1000. What did you do? All indoor? Any big outdoor rides?
Old 05-31-20, 12:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

~3ish hours on the TT bike yesterday morning, 90 min MTB ride in the evening with a buddy. Gonna hit up Zwift for 90 min of z2 free riding later just to turn the legs over a little more.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-31-20, 01:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TMonk
I see ~900 maybe once or twice per year during base, but I've never seen 1000. What did you do? All indoor? Any big outdoor rides?
I literally haven't ridden outside since my last race in October last year.
Old 05-31-20, 01:24 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TMonk
~3ish hours on the TT bike yesterday morning, 90 min MTB ride in the evening with a buddy. Gonna hit up Zwift for 90 min of z2 free riding later just to turn the legs over a little more.

I actually watched a zwift race today. The Dave Jordan classic, which should have been today in New York. The guy who won mount washington, and set course records on four other hill climbs last year broke away at the end and soloed in for the win.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-31-20, 02:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

w/kg is a more critical metric for Zwift riding than outdoors. Obvious exception being HCTT. You should try it!!!
Old 05-31-20, 03:24 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I almost did, but then lost interest. Learning the nuances kind of holds me back. I'm an old guy. Learning new stuff right now just doesn't seem to be my jam. I figure there's a better then even chance I'm done racing. I live in a hiker's paradise (mountain bike too). It's hard to wrap my head around driving 6 hours for a hill climb when I can drive 20 minutes and hike endless hours in any given direction. Dunno. Could be the pandemic talking. I might be crazy jacked up in a few months. But hey I was here just recently (and on those mountains across the way a few days earlier with my kid).

I wish there was strava for hiking.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-31-20, 07:15 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Officially finished SSB1 HV today after an easy endurance week. Ramp test Tuesday but I’m not anticipating any changes (I’ve been saying this for weeks lol)

I’ve been doing my workouts with a cycling cap recently since I was curious about the sweat absorption and I have to say I’m pretty impressed so far. Generally I’m having to wipe off my face with a towel during workouts. Yesterday was 79 degrees in my basement and didn’t see to use my hand towel once. Granted, this was during an endurance session but so far so good. Maybe I’ll try a base layer someday
Old 05-31-20, 09:32 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I almost did, but then lost interest. Learning the nuances kind of holds me back. I'm an old guy. Learning new stuff right now just doesn't seem to be my jam. I figure there's a better then even chance I'm done racing. I live in a hiker's paradise (mountain bike too). It's hard to wrap my head around driving 6 hours for a hill climb when I can drive 20 minutes and hike endless hours in any given direction. Dunno. Could be the pandemic talking. I might be crazy jacked up in a few months. But hey I was here just recently (and on those mountains across the way a few days earlier with my kid).

I wish there was strava for hiking.
Awesome photo. Hiking is amazing. I really like how NON competitive it is lol. How relaxing it is. Especially overnighters. I'm ridiculously competitive so it's nice to do an activity purely for relaxation and still get a little bit of a workout. I Strava my hikes. I also use Alltrails for GPS and elevation data.
Old 05-31-20, 09:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I enjoy hiking. The lady does too. I also like to backpack - try to a couple times per year esp. late summer/early fall when racing is done. Alltrails is a great way to learn about hiking trails when I visit a new area.
Old 05-31-20, 09:43 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Decided not to go too overboard this weekend. 60 CTL seems to be that spot where it's tempting to do a big ride and ruin the rest of the week.

Was itching for a party Friday night so I joined a couple friends for an 11 pm ride. One friend was on acid but for me it turned out to be a pretty good workout, got 200 TSS and caught the lightning storm at 3 am. Also improved my 12 minute power another 5 watts, in street clothes and a backpack.

Went out this morning for a quick workout on the cycle track in Golden Gate Park. Didn't have a plan. Started at 90% and each lap added 1 watt to my average watts. Ended up going for a full hour and finishing 4% over my set FTP. Final 20 minutes were 11% over. So I gotta up my FTP by like 12 watts. 20 watts up from last month, but still 20-30 short of "fit" and another 30-50 short of "race fit". But I'll take it!

Also my wife has actually been doing some chill rides with me lately. She still rides flat pedals. This afternoon we rode to and across Golden gate bridge, and down to Kirby Cove beach for some snacks and chillin. 23 miles and a whopping (for her) 1600 feet of climbing.
Old 06-01-20, 04:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Awesome photo. Hiking is amazing. I really like how NON competitive it is lol. How relaxing it is. Especially overnighters. I'm ridiculously competitive so it's nice to do an activity purely for relaxation and still get a little bit of a workout. I Strava my hikes. I also use Alltrails for GPS and elevation data.
Do you mind explaining how you strava a hike? Keeping in mind I know nothing about strava.

My wife is giving me one of her apple watches for all trails, and was looking at some sort of power meter for hiking / running. It all seems a bit complex to me.

My hikes are pretty competitive, actually. Right now I'm looking at doing a 'grid.' So up here there are the 46 high peaks. It's a long standing tradition to do all 46. There's also a winter list. A speed record. Folks who try to do them in one season. But a small number of folks have take to doing each of the 46 in each month of the year. Since we moved up here I've been punching my past and present hikes into a spread sheet and seeing how it shakes out.
Old 06-01-20, 04:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Do you mind explaining how you strava a hike? Keeping in mind I know nothing about strava.

My wife is giving me one of her apple watches for all trails, and was looking at some sort of power meter for hiking / running. It all seems a bit complex to me.

My hikes are pretty competitive, actually. Truth be told they tend to be much harder than anything I do on the bike. Part of this is northeast hiking is very craggy and tends to be straight up and down.

Right now I'm looking at doing a 'grid.' So up here there are the 46 high peaks. It's a long standing tradition to do all 46. There's also a winter list. A speed record. Folks who try to do them in one season. But a small number of folks have take to doing each of the 46 in each month of the year. Since we moved up here I've been punching my past and present hikes into a spread sheet and seeing how it shakes out.
Old 06-01-20, 06:23 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Had my biggest week in 2 years last week at 10.5 hours. Been dealing with hip and leg issues again this year which put a damper on my training earlier this winter. I found a yoga pose/stretch that really seems to help things..which is clear looking at the past week.

I do think I need to retest here soon. Tested at 255 right before my leg started really screwing up things and I know FTP is set high right now. While I havent done much intensity, only had 390 tss last week and CTL is right around 41 as of this morning.

Either way, im happy to have found this stretch. Been doing it 2-3x a day and riding actually feels somewhat "normal" again.
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 06-01-20, 07:18 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
GStein, if you have GPS, you can Strava a hike. You just need to record your effort and upload to Strava. There isn't an exact "hike" option, rather, you record it as a "run."
Old 06-01-20, 07:49 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
GStein, if you have GPS, you can Strava a hike. You just need to record your effort and upload to Strava. There isn't an exact "hike" option, rather, you record it as a "run."

Hike is an option now, you just have to change it after you upload it
Old 06-01-20, 08:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
9 hours 45 minutes TSS 415 all outside including 4x10’ threshold efforts and one high intensity strength session plus 2x10’ Normatech recovery sessions and one lost face mask.
Old 06-01-20, 08:53 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
1000+ TSS week
CTL 100

Solid work. I hope you are feeling better and your power and heart rate returning to normal.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-02-20, 08:35 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Rough week for me.

Wednesday night I woke up hungry, so I got up and grabbed a Clif Bar (TM) but I took it from the wrong box and ate a caffeinated one! Then with various other issues I just didn't get a good night's sleep for 5 nights in a row. Its been 2 weeks of 'recovery' so hopefully I can get back on board. Did 2x20's last night so things are off to a good start.
Old 06-02-20, 11:05 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Did a ramp test today, never go into an assessment with preconceived expectations! Trainerroad's protocol has the break-even point at 19:30 and everything above is an increase. I was getting to 19mins and my HR was at 183 and I totally just gave up on myself, even though my cadence was still steady in the upper 90's and I likely would have made it another 30-60sec. I just stopped at 19 instead of facing the suffering of another wattage increase. Pretty lame! So we'll keep on going with 285w, although it's possible I could do the next block (just sweet spot, so it's a bit more forgiving of any over-estimating) based on 290 so I might try it and play it by ear.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-02-20, 11:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Zwift Race today, Crit City (the Dolphin one) A's. I think 22 or 23/82. It was short (like 20k) but good for 20-something minutes of hammering.

After a pretty hard start I settled into group 2. Felt fine from group 2 and pushed the pace a bit, averaged ~0.4 w/kg more than some of the others who were just sitting in. Every time I got any sort of boost/powerup I went to the front and just lined it out for a bit, except the drafting one of course. A few minutes later I jumped into a much bigger A race in Watopia (150+) around the Volcano circuit just for some more SST time. I didn't bother hammering to seed myself into a good group and I found myself in a group of 4 about halfway down and rode that at low SST for another 10 or so minutes before leaving for a cooldown.

Good times! I could see myself doing this once a week or so, and it makes getting some higher intensity work on the trainer bearable, albeit uncontrolled.

Tomorrow I'll do my 2 hr 2x Epic KOM SST free ride, then spend some time on the TT bike doing tempo on Thursday (outside).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-03-20, 08:51 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
So I didn't end up taking a break because I still felt pretty good and my power numbers still looked good, and I did my heaviest week of training yet week 5 of this training block. I rested Monday because I felt run over and my resting HR was elevated, but I woke up yesterday feeling decent and my resting heart rate was back down, so I did a 90 min ride with a 60 min block of SST. I felt pretty good during the effort, but as the day went on I started feeling tired and today I'm still feeling pretty lousy with an elevated heart rate. I can't tell if I'm just too far into a hole or I'm fighting something off, but either way I'm taking a break completely off the bike.
Likes For procrit:
Old 06-03-20, 12:55 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
8x30:30’s last night. It’s amazing what those do to your body. I was riding around at 160W and 118 BPM afterwards while breathing like I was in the middle of a threshold workout.
Old 06-04-20, 07:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Last night did an under/over SS workout on Zwift. 5min hi 5min a few watts lower, nonstop for 40min.

Looks like my real hour power for TT bike is probably around 270w. Workout was almost an hour at 260w and I could see the long range HR trend and short term recovery there.

I'd have to "tare" that to my outdoors power meter, but now I have a good idea what to try to hold.

I got a rider on my wheel for about 30min of that Zwift workout too. Lol. Was interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.