Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Too big and strong for the frame. Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 02:13 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 217 Posts

No, I’m not. It’s Mr. Spadoni the Youngest, who is 6’ 3” and tips the scales at something north of 200. He calls me today, after he had ridden to work. His question today was about the frequency of seat tube / bb separations. Seems he had just suffered his second one in a little over a year.
While he has ridden vintage bikes in the past, these failures have come on a lower end fixed gear bike that he has written for the last two years. The switch to fixed came after he realized that he did not have the temperament to fiddle with shifters and cleaning chains. With the fixed, if he had air in the tires, he would get to work on time.
The bike came from a local shop, and they have stood behind everything that he has broken, in addition to the frames. But clearly he needs to upgrade before the shop has had enough and clamps him into a work stand or something else to maintain their profits.
so here’s the question: do I try to find another frame and we build up something solid? Or does he just buy something new? Likely it would still be fixed, as he likes the feel of the ride. In either case, it will be parked on the street so it can’t be too high end, and he does need fenders. I am kind of inclined to the first option but need help in keeping things simple because I an not the one that will do most repairs.
any suggestions.
Old 06-25-20, 02:25 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I would look for and buy a Schwinn Varsity or Continental from the 70s

Virtually unbreakable !!!!!!!!

These are 10 speeds but he can keep it in one gear.

5th gear is a great all around gear.

Good Luck !!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 06-25-20, 02:31 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
This has Cannondale written all over it. Tall guy, big guy.

I’d find any Cannondale frame he takes a liking to, the ST Tourers that I like came in big size jumps. I use a 23, I’d suggest a 25 for your son, if he likes the SR Sports frames, they’re more varied, I think (but not sure) they were sized in 2cm increments.

They have vertical drop outs, which is good, because no wheel slip, and is bad, because chain tension. You can find eccentric hubs, and more expensive, eccentric bottom brackets. That will get your the chain tensioning adjustability you need.

I have a couple Cannonballs, love how they don’t flex. After they were welded the whole frame was heat treated as a piece, a true monocoque frame build. The strongest frames were made between ‘85 and about ‘91/92, way overbuilt.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 06-25-20, 02:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Schwinn Varsity? I'm not entirely kidding. There's always some big manimal dude in every cycling scene. I remember one of those dudes BITD who used to show up to the racer training rides, on a Schwinn Varsity. This was a big muscular guy, and I guess the few extra pounds of iron didn't make much difference. He actually kept up pretty well in a paceline on the flats and rollers. Of course once the real hills started he got dropped instantly. Still we all thought it was pretty impressive. Anyhow, them Varsities is tough, which I think is how the guy rationalized it.

There were other big dudes, ie track sprinter types, that just rode normal race bikes. Maybe they had SP instead of SL. Some had custom bikes, which is the optimum, but probably overkill for a commute bike. Another solution is a more modern OS steel frame. I'm not a small person myself, though I'm south of 200, and to me OS is the greatest thing since slice bread. I'm currently riding 725 OS Mercian mostly. Looks traditional with lugs and brazing, but it sure feels a lot more solid to ride. How important is keeping it C&V? For less money, some kind of modern TIG'ed gravel bike or something might serve the same purpose, and a number of these are nominally sort of retro styled.

A lot of what breaks bikes is poor technique. Maybe Mr. Spadoni the younger can learn to spin more? I guess there isn't really much to be done with a fixie though.

I see that I was beaten to the punch with the Varsity recommendation, so make that a +1. Continentals too.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-25-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 02:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You make it sound like he's a grownup who knows what he wants. Just go a little less low end this time
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-25-20, 02:42 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
I think a 90s hybrid with horizontal dropouts (I'm just guessing there are some out there...maybe not?) or an old MTB/ATB bike with horizontal dropouts would work fine. Just make sure to avoid the mountain bikes with u-brakes on the chainstay, usually models from 1986-1988. If he's that strong and heavy he might be better off with the smaller and stronger 26" wheels.
​​​​​​
​​​
Likes For Piff:
Old 06-25-20, 03:11 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
My thought is that he’s just got low end bikes. I can’t imagine any vintage steel bike in decent condition having a single issue with someone just over 200 pounds. Find any frame that fits him and throw a nice fixed gear wheelset on there.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-25-20, 03:18 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Low end fixed gear = low end high tensile steel frame. Your options are to convert an old vintage higher end road bike or beefy frame (old Schwinn as mentioned above) or get him something like a Surly Steamroller or Soma Rush frame and build it up. When you say parked on the street do you mean he stores it outside overnight or just when he's at work?
Likes For tricky:
Old 06-25-20, 03:19 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by Piff
I think a 90s hybrid with horizontal dropouts (I'm just guessing there are some out there...maybe not?) or an old MTB/ATB bike with horizontal dropouts would work fine. Just make sure to avoid the mountain bikes with u-brakes on the chainstay, usually models from 1986-1988. If he's that strong and heavy he might be better off with the smaller and stronger 26" wheels.
​​​​​​
​​​
Why avoid the u-brake? They are a little more work, but if they come across a deal I don't think it should be a deal breaker. He might even be only running a front brake.
Old 06-25-20, 03:25 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Any pics?
I’m that height and 215, though I don’t ride FG. Never had a problem.
Old 06-25-20, 03:35 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
This has Cannondale written all over it. Tall guy, big guy.

I’d find any Cannondale frame he takes a liking to, the ST Tourers that I like came in big size jumps. I use a 23, I’d suggest a 25 for your son, if he likes the SR Sports frames, they’re more varied, I think (but not sure) they were sized in 2cm increments.

They have vertical drop outs, which is good, because no wheel slip, and is bad, because chain tension. You can find eccentric hubs, and more expensive, eccentric bottom brackets. That will get your the chain tensioning adjustability you need.

I have a couple Cannonballs, love how they don’t flex. After they were welded the whole frame was heat treated as a piece, a true monocoque frame build. The strongest frames were made between ‘85 and about ‘91/92, way overbuilt.
The 80's Cannondales were monster stiff. Even though they have vertical dropouts, you can install a chain tensioner and not have an issue running single speed.

I did have a chuckle about learning proper technique as to not break a frame peddling. I have never heard that before.

John
Old 06-25-20, 03:42 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Why avoid the u-brake? They are a little more work, but if they come across a deal I don't think it should be a deal breaker. He might even be only running a front brake.
As I understand it people like to play around with rings/cogs for fixed gears. There's no upside to buying a frame with brake bosses down there; you run the risk of finding just the right ring/cog combo and then realizing the chain hits the u-brake boss. There's so many other old mountain bikes out there that won't have this issue, so when considering a fixed conversion it's best to simply avoid them if you can.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 06-25-20, 03:58 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by tricky
Low end fixed gear = low end high tensile steel frame. Your options are to convert an old vintage higher end road bike or beefy frame (old Schwinn as mentioned above) or get him something like a Surly Steamroller or Soma Rush frame and build it up. When you say parked on the street do you mean he stores it outside overnight or just when he's at work?
parked outside is when he goes to the store. At work, he can bring it inside.
Old 06-25-20, 04:41 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
parked outside is when he goes to the store. At work, he can bring it inside.
Ah, ok. Good locking technique (around a frame tube), locking skewers/track nuts or a separate cable lock for the wheels and a quality u-lock and he should be fine.

Cheap option: move his fixed gear parts over to a vintage frame or keep breaking the same cheap fixie and having the shop replace it.

More expensive option: Soma or Surly frame but take off or tape over the decals

All that said, frames can still break, especially under big strong folks, but he would get more life out of a quality frame.
Old 06-25-20, 05:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
I would look for and buy a Schwinn Varsity or Continental from the 70s

Virtually unbreakable !!!!!!!!
Not true. I had a Kool Lemon Continental in 25" many decades ago and sold it to a friend's kid brother. Guy was a stick, but the seat tube broke clean through just above the bottom bracket shell.
Old 06-25-20, 06:24 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Um, the chain on a fixed gear doesn't need cleaning? Who knew?

And why can't he ride a single-speed?
Old 06-25-20, 06:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
U-brakes are ok in general, but could be inconvenient using single speed or fixed gear if you want to change the ring/cog tooth total, since the rear axle shifting will move the rim w.r.t. brake pads, potentially beyond the range of adjustment and inconvenient to have to shift the pads anyway.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-25-20, 07:02 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Subjecting an old low-end bike to the rigors of fixed gear pedaling and "braking" via a big, tall, strong guy is certainly a recipe for destruction. My vote is also go higher up the food chain. Or make it a single speed with a free wheel and employ brake calipers. That should make the stresses of the frame drop considerably as it will be ridden in a much more traditional manner.

The old Cannondale SR or ST frames sound good to me. They're welded, super beefy, and have fragile paint which is a great theft deterrent as he can find one that's a bit rough and not have to worry about it. Or he can get a welded steel frame with thick tubing as weight doesn't matter here.

Could he try and be kinder/gentler/smoother in his riding?
Old 06-25-20, 07:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Mid 90's Giant Iguana. Put smooth tires on it. Beefiest fork ever and very sturdy. Also has all the attached fittings necessary for fenders, racks, etc.

Cannondales? The early aluminum tin cans?
Old 06-25-20, 07:53 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
My choices

All steel
GT mountain bike frames
Trek Lugged Mountain Bike and Hybrid frames
Mid 90's Nishiki mountain bike frames.
Early 90's steel hybrid frames from just about everyone
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-25-20, 08:13 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Old Cannondale, all day, every day. Or a Surly Long Haul Trucker if you want to spend five times as much and have a much heavier bike

If I'm gonna need a chain tensioner though, I may as well have a rear derailleur, same price as a tensioner (Maybe less). You can build to up as a five speed and let him decide whether or not he actually wants to shift it. He doesn't have to.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-25-20, 08:19 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by madpogue
Um, the chain on a fixed gear doesn't need cleaning? Who knew?

And why can't he ride a single-speed?
For the record, a fixed does need to be lubricated. But if it is not, it will still function and will not make noises nearly as fast as a derailleur chain. When the inevitable wear occurs, the entire drive train can be replaced at a relatively low cost.
Why a fixed and not a single? Got me there. That’s his choice

Last edited by Mr. Spadoni; 06-26-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 08:21 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by Standalone
Any pics?
I’m that height and 215, though I don’t ride FG. Never had a problem.
pics? I think damage to other people’s bikes may be covered by HIPPA regs, at least if the other rider is over 18.
Old 06-25-20, 08:55 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
Oh I forgot!

Redline Monocog. That's what he needs.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-25-20, 09:57 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Thanks for all the feedback.
Thinking right now
Single speed with freewheel for less frame stress.
Cannondale could be an option as even a complete bike is cheaper here in PDX than the Surly frame. But as aluminum, rear spacing is Not adjustable.
Varsity is bombproof but man Varsities are going for way more than I would expect, even during a bike boom.
lets see what Young Spadoni says to all of this......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.