Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chasing the creak

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chasing the creak

Old 08-05-20, 08:07 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Chasing the creak

About a week and a half ago I started to get a creak that is rhythmic in nature. Only happens when pedaling but it can be while spinning or when applying decent pressure.

Mostly while seated but has happened a bit when standing. It originally sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket but some tell me it seems to be from the rear, tough to say given the reverb from the mix of steel and carbon frame.

So far I have re-applied carbon paste to the seat post topper, replaced the BB and chain (bb seemed fine but was due anyway), oiled the crossing of the rear spokes. Checked cleats and pedal mating surfaces, Removed and greased chainring bolts, and applied a bit of grease to the quick release cam. This all seemed to help but after a few rides creak came back. I have removed the cassette and rear hub seems ok but I haven’t popped bearings or replaced since they’re cartridges (industry 9 hubs with about 9k miles). I’ve also checked all welds and crankset for any fractures. I’m told that the sound is similar to what people have had prior to their Shimano cranks cracking (some reported instances but not widespread).

Any thoughts? It’s driving me absolutely batty. Will attempt to post poorly done video below. Sound does not happen when in the stand so obviously requires some pressure on the wheels.

Will report back with video need to upload to YouTube first I guess and can’t find account info!
Old 08-05-20, 08:17 AM
robbyville

Lets see if this works
Old 08-05-20, 08:29 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Can't tell from the video.. Bottle cages with or without bottle? I'd say thru or QR axle but you already addressed that and had it off and on again... Does it happen no hands, possible stem/bar related? A strap from a seat bag swinging hitting a rail? Sounds dumb but happened to me before. Is it on power from one crank only? Not sure what that would narrow down but....
Old 08-05-20, 08:38 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Do you have a spare wheelset ready to swap? that will probably eliminate the wheels as a noise source.

Check the headset and spacers.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-05-20, 08:38 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Sounds dumb but happened to me before.
Those random noises are frustrating but you're a genius when you find them.

I've noticed lately my seat tube or saddle mount squeaks. I bet if I spritz the mount with a little WD40 the squeak will be gone (for awhile).
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-05-20, 08:55 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by u235
Can't tell from the video.. Bottle cages with or without bottle? I'd say thru or QR axle but you already addressed that and had it off and on again... Does it happen no hands, possible stem/bar related? A strap from a seat bag swinging hitting a rail? Sounds dumb but happened to me before. Is it on power from one crank only? Not sure what that would narrow down but....
Cages both have a bottle in them. I did check tightness of mount but did not grease the threads, will do that next. I think it happens hands off as well but will try a focused approach. Definitely not my seat bag. Good call on single sided pedaling will try that next.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Do you have a spare wheelset ready to swap? that will probably eliminate the wheels as a noise source.

I only have one spacer but will definitely check that and the headset although it doesn't seem to be coming from up front, still, who knows... Strangely enough, this is the one time in my last 8 years where I don't have an extra wheelset ready to go but was telling myself yesterday it was time (just sold my last back up). I was thinking of getting some new QR's today just to cross that off the list. The current ones are old and quite cheap.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Those random noises are frustrating but you're a genius when you find them.

I've noticed lately my seat tube or saddle mount squeaks. I bet if I spritz the mount with a little WD40 the squeak will be gone (for awhile).
I haven't checked the saddle rails (carbon) or the mating with seatpost topper also carbon (Enve)
Old 08-05-20, 09:23 AM
hayden52

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Make sure your cassette is tightened down firmly. I had a very annoying creak that was due to the cassette being to loose.
Old 08-05-20, 09:24 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

I had a bad rhythmic "clunk" that I swore was from the BB on a Cannondale. Turned out it was a loose headset.
Old 08-05-20, 09:28 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I had a bad rhythmic "clunk" that I swore was from the BB on a Cannondale. Turned out it was a loose headset.
Noises like this on a customer's bike can drive a mechanic insane, and fill his wallet at the same time.
Old 08-05-20, 09:31 AM
robbyville

When watching the video on my phone the creak is very loud, on my computer hard to hear until about 26 seconds in.

Will definitely check the headset today, it has been 2.5 years since I installed it, jiggle test doesn't find it loose but worth actually checking for sure.

I have ensured sure that the cassette is torqued to proper specs. What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
Old 08-05-20, 09:37 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by robbyville
What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
It's definitely possible, and easy to correct.
Old 08-05-20, 09:45 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Just get out your torque wrench and go through the entire bike with proper torque specs. Found the source of my clicking because my crank arm was not torqued correctly. Also my right brifter was loose; took a full turn to tighten it and relieve my rattles over rough pavement.
Old 08-05-20, 10:30 AM
robbyville

It's definitely possible, and easy to correct.
I haven't actually worked on hubs with cartridge bearings, any best practices to suggest, along with QR?

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Just get out your torque wrench and go through the entire bike with proper torque specs. Found the source of my clicking because my crank arm was not torqued correctly. Also my right brifter was loose; took a full turn to tighten it and relieve my rattles over rough pavement.
Done and done, still driving me crazy
Old 08-05-20, 10:36 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
One one of my bikes, I get creaking from the interface between the clamp nut on the thru-axle and the rear dropout. A film of grease is all that takes to fix that.
Old 08-05-20, 10:46 AM
noodle soup

I haven't actually worked on hubs with cartridge bearings, any best practices to suggest, along with QR?

Done and done, still driving me crazy
I-9 classic?

I'd contact them directly, and ask if they have a video for their road hubs.

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-05-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-05-20, 11:05 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Like everyone else has said, these can be hard to track down.
I had such a noise this past week. I adjusted the front derailleur and it was gone for my short test ride. I will see if it is gone when I go out for a longer ride in a bit.
Old 08-05-20, 11:08 AM
robbyville

I-9 classic?
I believe they are Torch's but looking at pics they could be the Classic. purchased new Sept 2018
Old 08-05-20, 11:10 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
One one of my bikes, I get creaking from the interface between the clamp nut on the thru-axle and the rear dropout. A film of grease is all that takes to fix that.
I put a little grease on the cam of the QR but nothing where the axle or nuts interface with the drop out. Will try.
Old 08-05-20, 12:00 PM
robbyville

I-9 classic?

I'd contact them directly, and ask if they have a video for their road hubs.
will do. Definitely Torch, I have the torch tool kit and replacement bearing in the cart, but would be a shame to order if not needed. I'm thinking of finding a way to pull of the end caps easily to get access to the bearings and take a look
Old 08-05-20, 12:04 PM
noodle soup

will do. Definitely Torch, I have the torch tool kit and replacement bearing in the cart, but would be a shame to order if not needed. I'm thinking of finding a way to pull of the end caps easily to get access to the bearings and take a look
should be the same on torch road hubs

Old 08-05-20, 01:18 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
About a week and a half ago I started to get a creak that is rhythmic in nature. Only happens when pedaling but it can be while spinning or when applying decent pressure.

Mostly while seated but has happened a bit when standing. It originally sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket but some tell me it seems to be from the rear, tough to say given the reverb from the mix of steel and carbon frame.

So far I have re-applied carbon paste to the seat post topper, replaced the BB and chain (bb seemed fine but was due anyway), oiled the crossing of the rear spokes. Checked cleats and pedal mating surfaces, Removed and greased chainring bolts, and applied a bit of grease to the quick release cam. This all seemed to help but after a few rides creak came back. I have removed the cassette and rear hub seems ok but I haven’t popped bearings or replaced since they’re cartridges (industry 9 hubs with about 9k miles). I’ve also checked all welds and crankset for any fractures. I’m told that the sound is similar to what people have had prior to their Shimano cranks cracking (some reported instances but not widespread).

Any thoughts? It’s driving me absolutely batty. Will attempt to post poorly done video below. Sound does not happen when in the stand so obviously requires some pressure on the wheels.

Will report back with video need to upload to YouTube first I guess and can’t find account info!

what crankset are you using? I have the newest Dura Ace on my Ti roadbike and have a similar noise that too drives me crazy. I went through the same troubleshooting you mentioned in the thread and eventually gave up.
Old 08-05-20, 01:39 PM
swifty
commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check whether your rd hanger is tight. That was the culprit for me when I last had such an issue.
Old 08-05-20, 02:19 PM
JPChap
Ridin again

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The last time I had a creak/squeak that was a pedaling-only scenario, sounded somewhat similar to what I could make out in the video over the sound of wind, it turned out to be the rear derailleur pulley wheels. Took em out, gave them a good ole cleaning and re-greasing along with the rest of the derailleur and it took care of the issue. Have you tried that?
Old 08-05-20, 02:29 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
same boat as you and it WAS the shoe, cleat, pedal interface

Do you have another pair of cycling shoes you can try? Or simply put on some running shoes and pedal the bike that way for a ways. Get back to me with an answer.
Old 08-05-20, 07:29 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
what crankset are you using? I have the newest Dura Ace on my Ti roadbike and have a similar noise that too drives me crazy. I went through the same troubleshooting you mentioned in the thread and eventually gave up.
it is a Dura Ace 9100 series crank. I had heard that there have been some reports of these and Ultegra cracking here and there with a creak similar to this prior. I’ve inspected and found nothing so far. I certainly can’t leave it as is lol

Originally Posted by swifty
Check whether your rd hanger is tight. That was the culprit for me when I last had such an issue.
my bike does not have a replaceable hanger so definitely not that!

Originally Posted by JPChap
The last time I had a creak/squeak that was a pedaling-only scenario, sounded somewhat similar to what I could make out in the video over the sound of wind, it turned out to be the rear derailleur pulley wheels. Took em out, gave them a good ole cleaning and re-greasing along with the rest of the derailleur and it took care of the issue. Have you tried that?
i haven’t yet thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by eflayer
Do you have another pair of cycling shoes you can try? Or simply put on some running shoes and pedal the bike that way for a ways. Get back to me with an answer.
I do have another pair and will give that a shot as well thanks for the suggestion.

I put a little film of grease on the mating surfaces of the axle and drop out today will see if that helps. May swing by LBS tomorrow if I have the time and look at some new QR’s as well. Have the tools and bearings in the cart with I9. Wheels have close to 10k on them so maybe good to service anyway

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.