Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rotor Lock Ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rotor Lock Ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 06:22 AM
Dunaldo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rotor Lock Ring

Hi, I have just purchased some DTSwiss disc wheels, but when they arrived, they only had the adaptor for a 6 hole brake disc.I have some Sram centre lock Rotors, but i am unsure as to which lock nut i require for my wheels. They are 12mm Thru Axle. Can anyone help?
Old 09-17-20, 07:37 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Is it this adapter? https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Adap.../dp/B004LGIKUQ

If so, that is the lockring that you use with your centerlock rotors. Just leave the adapter part off.
Old 09-17-20, 10:31 AM
Dunaldo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, yeah, that's pretty similar. Just that it says in the manual, that the supplied lock ring is not to be used on a Centre Lock brake, as it won't tighten properly, resulting in excessive play.
Old 09-17-20, 12:07 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
OK. Maybe its not the same as a standard lock ring. They come in two styles. One has an internal spline pattern that uses a cassette tool and is used for QR and 12mm thru axle hubs. The other uses an external spline that takes an external bottom bracket tool and will work with any axle standard, even though they are sometimes listed as being for 15/20mm thru axles. The internal spline style won't work on the larger axle standards, because the tool won't fit over the axle.
Old 09-18-20, 06:42 AM
Dunaldo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, Just like to say thanks for your help. I have just ordered 2 Centrelock QR/M12 Lock Rings.

Regards Paul
Likes For Dunaldo:
Old 09-18-20, 08:14 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Having just gone through this, you may find that the externally splined lock ring has very little clearance to your fork leg. Since you have a 12mm through axle you can run an internally splined lock ring and the standard tool will work to install/remove it.

Heres an example so you can see how much sleeker it is providing maximum clearance:
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...CABEgJDDvD_BwE