Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is this frame too big?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Is this frame too big?

Old 07-29-20, 11:00 AM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is this frame too big?

I have been riding my hybrid bike for some longer rides and been experiencing neck pain. Being 181 cm tall I am riding a Merida Crossway 58 cm frame. Does the frame look too big from the picture attachment? Especially wondering if my arms are too straight being a potencial cause for the neck issue.

Last edited by bikeamateur70; 07-29-20 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Privacy concerns
Old 07-29-20, 01:17 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
This is just my opinion. I do not think that your frame size has anything to do with neck issues(s). My opinion is that it's your A) posture Your head looks like it might be craning forward a bit. Your back has a bit of hunch to it. Could very well be weak neck muscles, and they are being put to the test when being into the bike riding position/posture. I think hat you should try neck bridging (strengthening) at least three days a week to see if that helps. Also unrelated your seat may be able to go a bit higher.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 07-29-20, 01:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Which part of your neck? Due to your very straight arms I'd think you have a pain between your shoulder blades in your upper back and some pain or numbness in your wrist and hands. But since you don't mention that, you must not have an issue. Possibly you only do short rides of less than an hour?

Bike doesn't look too big at all. I'm 180 cm with 34.5" legs. I've ridden as big as 64 cm frames with 59 and 60 cm being the norm for the last 10 years. Currently though, my new bike and favorite ride is a 56cm. All road bikes and none giving issues I couldn't resolve trying different adjustments over many rides.

Hybrid bikes and flat bars throw me. I just don't understand them. Nor do I ride a trainer, I just can't motivate myself to want to go nowhere. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-29-20, 02:54 PM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
This is just my opinion. I do not think that your frame size has anything to do with neck issues(s). My opinion is that it's your A) posture Your head looks like it might be craning forward a bit. Your back has a bit of hunch to it. Could very well be weak neck muscles, and they are being put to the test when being into the bike riding position/posture. I think hat you should try neck bridging (strengthening) at least three days a week to see if that helps. Also unrelated your seat may be able to go a bit higher.
Strenght exercises is definately something I should look into. Been having have seat slightly higher, but then there I get into a rather aggressive position. If I keep the bike I could try a stem with more rise.
Old 07-29-20, 03:10 PM
bikeamateur70

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Which part of your neck? Due to your very straight arms I'd think you have a pain between your shoulder blades in your upper back and some pain or numbness in your wrist and hands. But since you don't mention that, you must not have an issue. Possibly you only do short rides of less than an hour?

Bike doesn't look too big at all. I'm 180 cm with 34.5" legs. I've ridden as big as 64 cm frames with 59 and 60 cm being the norm for the last 10 years. Currently though, my new bike and favorite ride is a 56cm. All road bikes and none giving issues I couldn't resolve trying different adjustments over many rides.

Hybrid bikes and flat bars throw me. I just don't understand them. Nor do I ride a trainer, I just can't motivate myself to want to go nowhere. <grin>
Have recently taken up cycling, and living in a rainy part of Scandinavia the season is short. I got a road bike, Cannondale Caad 9 -56 cm frame. Have done no more than 2 hours ride using the CAAD, but havent had any neck issues using that bike. Its used on my indoor trainer, so thats part of the reason I have done my outdoor riding on the hybrid. On the road bike indoors I watch TV, looking more down on the tv rather than straightforward. Indoor rides are usually no more than 60 minutes.Have done a few 3 hours rides on the Merida hybrid, and I am feeling the the neck pain from loooking forward on the road. Typically feeling the neck issu after 45-60 minutes of riding, and its not any discomfort atfter I get off the bike. Location: Low neck, where it meets the shouldblades/collarbone. I am about to look into body measurements and bike geometry to gain more knowledge about this field, but I am very happy get more immidiate respons from those of you with more knowledge and experience from cycling.
Old 07-29-20, 03:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Agree with headwind. Bike is, if anything, too small. If it were me, I'd flip the stem and move the spacers to on top. Someone should be able to put a straight edge on your back and have it touch all the way to the back of your head. Also: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
Old 07-30-20, 07:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Definitely not too small but maybe the wrong style of bike for what you are doing. Three hour rides on a flat bar bike are likely to cause discomfort.
Old 08-15-20, 12:50 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
How many weeks/months/years have you been riding? Sometimes it take a while if biking is new to you. Going out for a two hour ride for the first time is going to hurt anyone. Start by going out around 30 min or so to start and build up from there. It will take a while usually a few months to get in decent biking shape. Doing core training like yoga will also help improve your body for cycling. Good luck and keep at it...

BTW the frame size looks okay to me. Might want to play with the stem length/height to start if anything...

Last edited by RockiesDad; 08-15-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-15-20, 01:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Straddle the top tube flat footed.. pull up on the bars,.. how high did you get the front wheel off the ground?
Old 08-17-20, 07:40 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Straddle the top tube flat footed.. pull up on the bars,.. how high did you get the front wheel off the ground?
I think you know better than that.
Old 08-17-20, 08:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

It's what we have done in bike shops to help customers in person , pick bike size choices.. for decades..
Old 08-17-20, 09:38 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
It's what we have done in bike shops to help customers in person , pick bike size choices.. for decades..
and it's been wrong for decades. you've been around long enough to know that's useless advice.
Old 08-17-20, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Yeah, but is it any more useless than any of the other old adages we toss around here?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-17-20, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

enjoy your 20 guesses games..