Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ticking noise in front wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-27-11, 10:45 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

My bike is 3 years old, 6k miles, with these wheels: https://www.aclass-wheels.com/en/road_alx320COMP.html

For a long time, the front wheel has had a ticking or clicking noise when weight is on it. I finally took it to a respected LBS where the owner noted that the noise happens when the valve stem is at the 12 o'clock position. Lean on the handlebars and rock back and forth at that spot, and you get the tick/click. He believes the noise is coming from the rim (not the hub), and is convinced that the spokes are tight and nothing is broken. So far, he's tried:
1. Oiling the spoke nipples.
2. Replacing the plastic rim strip with Velox cloth rim tape. (idea: the rim strip was clicking somehow)
3. Slicing through the foil decal on the rim at the 6 o'clock position. (idea: the decal was crinkling)

Each time, the noise seemed to go away "at first", maybe even for several miles of riding. But it always comes back. And he's out of ideas, but he assures me that the wheel is in good condition. But the noise is very annoying and I'd like to find/fix it if possible. What else can/should I look at? All suggestions welcome.
Likes For LarryMelman:
Old 11-28-11, 12:14 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Could the valve stem be rattling against the rim at the hole in the rim? I've seen mechanics for professional riders tape the base of the valve stem with electrical tape against the rim to stop those kind of noise.
Likes For Jed19:
Old 11-28-11, 08:37 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is your valve steam threaded? If so, get a nut for it - or do the electrical tape thing described above.
Old 11-28-11, 08:43 AM
LarryMelman

I've had this problem with and without the valve stem nut. With different tubes and tires. But I will try some tape - can't hurt.
Old 11-28-11, 10:43 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Also, I was just thinking you could drop some light oil at the juncture where your spoke crosses. Sometimes, there is some wear there from the spokes rubbing together when you hit bumps etc, that, eventually, there is some looseness (just a tad) there that can result in the kinda click you described.
Likes For Jed19:
Old 11-28-11, 05:05 PM
LarryMelman

Went to another shop and the tech reproduced the noise by squeezing the rim at the seam line opposite the valve stem. It isn't welded, but it is supposed to be a joint of some kind. He thinks he can carefully close the small gap that's causing the click, without damaging the rim or etc.
Old 05-16-18, 11:45 AM
bmac.to

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
Went to another shop and the tech reproduced the noise by squeezing the rim at the seam line opposite the valve stem. It isn't welded, but it is supposed to be a joint of some kind. He thinks he can carefully close the small gap that's causing the click, without damaging the rim or etc.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this sounds exactly like the issue I am dealing with. Was the fix successful? Any idea how he closed the gap?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-18, 11:57 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bmac.to
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this sounds exactly like the issue I am dealing with. Was the fix successful? Any idea how he closed the gap?

Thanks.
Looks as if Larry "Bud" Melman hasn't posted on BF since 2013. But maybe he still looks at BF and will see your question.
Old 05-16-18, 12:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
What's exactly like your issue? A click? or did you try all things the OP of this long dead thread said they did as well as the couple other suggestions and you still have a click? Clicks, pings and other noises happen for many reasons. So we need some info to isolate what makes this exactly your issue.
Old 05-16-18, 02:38 PM
LarryMelman

BF emailed me about your reply. No, no one could ever fix that wheel.
Old 05-18-18, 12:01 PM
bmac.to

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What's exactly like your issue? A click? or did you try all things the OP of this long dead thread said they did as well as the couple other suggestions and you still have a click? Clicks, pings and other noises happen for many reasons. So we need some info to isolate what makes this exactly your issue.
Exactly in that it is a click - one click per revolution only when weight is applied. I checked/oiled spokes, no rim eyelets to worry about. If I take the wheel off the bike and apply pressure right at the rim seam, I can get it to click (picture me pushing the wheel into the ground - pressure applied at both rim seam (hands) and at the valve stem (ground)). Plus, when it clicks I can feel the click in my hands. If I flip the wheel around so that I am now holding the rim at the valve stem, and apply the same pressure, I can still get it to click but the sound is clearly coming from farther away, and I can no longer feel the click in my hands.

The wheel is a new Easton EA70 SL - it took until the second ride to notice the click. From what the Easton website says, this is a welded rim so no plug to worry about.
Old 05-18-18, 12:10 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
First I would contact Easton by email so that you have a record of it if needed for future problems. They may end up being very helpful and have a fix or be willing to inspect/exchange it for you. Worth a try.
Old 05-18-18, 01:12 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
9 times out of 10 when I I have a wheel tick at the same point every revolution it's a loose spoke. If it ticks when the valve stem is at the 6 oclock then it's usually a loose stem hitting the rim.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-28-18, 10:10 AM
bmac.to

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an update - I finally got a chance on the weekend to investigate further. As it turns out, the ticking sound is related to the welded seam on the rim - the tire I am using (Compass Barlow Pass) doe not sit well at the seam due to the weld. I can recreate the tick sound just by squeezing the tire right near the seam. The way the tire's bead sits in the rim's bead is not good and applying pressure causes it to release/move and make a noise. There is damage on the tire's bead due to this constant action.

For some reason, the rear wheel does not exhibit this same issue - I still have to compare the rear and front wheel's welds. I suspect a little shaping of the front wheel's weld with sandpaper may resolve this issue.
Old 05-28-18, 12:39 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
What about the rim joint that is underneath the foil decal? If it's a pinned rim that certainly could be the source of such a noise.
Old 05-28-18, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a 36 spoke wheel has a spoke cross X pulling that seam together on my wheels ..
Old 09-20-20, 03:29 AM
str312706

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front wheel ticking, exactly same issue as bmac.to

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same issue as bmac.to on my front wheel.

i can even replicate the tick noise in the same way but applying pressure to the tyre at the rim joint opposite the valve hole.

Posting here to see if the issue was ever resolved.
Old 08-03-21, 03:15 PM
dogas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello

Originally Posted by str312706
Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same issue as bmac.to on my front wheel.

i can even replicate the tick noise in the same way but applying pressure to the tyre at the rim joint opposite the valve hole.

Posting here to see if the issue was ever resolved.
hello from Greece i have the some problem with front easton 70 sl i change hub but problem still exist .Do you fount any solution?