Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake Hoods for 1987 Schwinn World Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 12:24 PM
lmk5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

My brakes are bare metal and it would be nice to have hoods that could go over the levers for more hand comfort. Are there any available? I'm assuming they'd have to be in two pieces in order to be able to install them without disconnecting the cable from the lever.
Old 06-09-22, 02:00 PM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
Unless you can find some NOS, Cane Creek brake hoods are about it that I can find. And they are 1 piece, so you need to remove the brake cable to install as far as I know.

Edit: I say that, but I was looking for the tan hoods so...
Old 06-09-22, 02:37 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
What brand and model levers?
Old 06-09-22, 03:24 PM
lmk5

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I'll have to look when I get home. I know the handlebars are Champion but not sure right now about the levers.
Old 06-09-22, 04:09 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by lmk5
My brakes are bare metal and it would be nice to have hoods that could go over the levers for more hand comfort. Are there any available? I'm assuming they'd have to be in two pieces in order to be able to install them without disconnecting the cable from the lever.
You'll need to disconnect the cable to install hoods. You could also install some nice new comfy aero ergonomic levers for not more than the cost of hoods. I am a fan of these. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=40189 This would require rewrapping the bars and cutting the cables. It's scope creep but it's an option. Depends on how comfortable you are with bike mechanics and/or how much you want to take on and learn.
Old 06-09-22, 04:26 PM
lmk5

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
You'll need to disconnect the cable to install hoods. You could also install some nice new comfy aero ergonomic levers for not more than the cost of hoods. I am a fan of these. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=40189 This would require rewrapping the bars and cutting the cables. It's scope creep but it's an option. Depends on how comfortable you are with bike mechanics and/or how much you want to take on and learn.
Thanks for the reply. I'd really just like to just put hoods on. My levers do not include barrel adjusters where the cable exits the lever. Is there a procedure I could follow that would allow me to disconnect the cable so the hood can be installed? I also have the extension levers connected BTW.
Old 06-09-22, 05:38 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'd really just like to just put hoods on. My levers do not include barrel adjusters where the cable exits the lever. Is there a procedure I could follow that would allow me to disconnect the cable so the hood can be installed? I also have the extension levers connected BTW.
More than likely- these are the ones you need- AND they have the perforated cutout for the "safety" lever.

Look around- you may be able to find them cheaper- A few years ago I got a few sets at $10- and that seemed to be the going price.

https://www.benscycle.com/dia-compe-...hoCT_cQAvD_BwE

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-09-22, 06:05 PM
tricky 

1. Remove cable crimps (if they are present)
  2. Disconnect the cable at the brake caliper by loosening the pinch bolt that attaches the cable to the caliper.
  3. Pull the cable out by sliding it out of the lever. You might need to push the cable a bit to get it to unseat from where it rests inside the lever.
  4. Pop off the cable housing if it hasn't come off already.
  5. Repeat for other brake.
To reassemble is the reverse plus adding a cable crimp to the end, but it's also a good time to replace your brake cables and housing if it is old. Frayed cables can make reassembly difficult or impossible. You'll also need to adjust your brake calipers. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-brake-service
Old 06-09-22, 06:06 PM
tricky 

Another quick note on installing hoods. They can be tough to install. Putting them in the sun to warm them up and/or or lubing with some soapy water can assist with getting them on without tearing them.
Old 06-09-22, 09:06 PM
lmk5

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks for all the tips. The brake levers are made by a company called "Star."