Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Murray Missile's March Madness

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 04:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts

Or, How to earn your "Varsity" letter the hard way.

I had planned to drag this 1967 Schwinn Varsity to the curb, it had been out in the elements for years before I got it but when I went back to get it something snapped. I'm going to make it functional with parts from the rejects bin. The plan is to buy nothing except bar covering, it has those miserable 22mm steel drop bars so I bought some cheap Grab On style foam grips. Otherwise I think I haved everything to make it go. I'll give it the #0000 steel wool and WD-40 treatment to remove rust, polish the aluminum the best I can and wax it up. Why you ask? Damned if I know, there is no logical reason other than I want to see what I can do with it. When it's all done I'll probably give it away, Surely somebody will want a free functional Schwinn Varsity with braze on DT shifters LOL, I can't be the only looney out here.

I'd feel bad about leaving it outside for 2 years except it had been outside for a good 10 or 15 years before I got it. Surprisingly other than the BB bearings, chain and maybe the RD everything moves freely. Pedals and seatpost came right out and the chrome on the seatpost isn't even rusty! Here's the before, I won't post the closeups, they're too gruesome LOL.

--
Old 03-13-24, 04:33 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
.....gulp...gulp
Old 03-13-24, 05:11 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by sced
.....gulp...gulp
Trust me, it's as bad as it looks. Why do it? "Because it's there" and I can.
Old 03-13-24, 05:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Fun, Fun, FUN! Don't know if you hand brush paint your frames but this is an excellent bike to test and improve your hand brush skills.

Search "bikeforums.net:hand+paint+frame"

I would go with Rustolium White Gloss Enamel and use DIY decals. Let me know if ya need help generating the decals...
Old 03-14-24, 04:32 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by zandoval
Fun, Fun, FUN! Don't know if you hand brush paint your frames but this is an excellent bike to test and improve your hand brush skills.

Search "bikeforums.net:hand+paint+frame"

I would go with Rustolium White Gloss Enamel and use DIY decals. Let me know if ya need help generating the decals...
No paint, just a good deep cleaning and maybe a clear coat to preserve its natural "beauty". Probably just a good wax job though. You'd be amazed at what's still under all that surface rust. I used #0000 steel wool and WD40 on some other stuff that I thought had no paint left and was shocked at how much paint and graphics were hidden.

Dug out the "functional but doubt I'll ever need them" parts box and founds LOTS of good stuff from a 70's Varsity I parted out. I have a set of low level aluminum 27" wheels I'll clean up and a pair of fair(ish) tires I'll be taking off another bike that's getting new Panaracers.

I'm going to name it Dave, as in Dave "Varsity" Letterman. Bad bad joke I know but so's the whole idea, might as well go all in.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-14-24 at 03:56 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 03-14-24, 06:18 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Your rock! I'm looking forward to the additional pictures of your efforts.

Plus, it has downtube shifters--- which makes it a "Fast Varsity!"

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 03-14-24, 06:25 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts

it has those miserable 22mm steel drop bars
I bought this girls Continental beauty just for the GB alloy bars.

+1 for beausage !!

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-14-24, 07:31 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
The Universe is using you for some reason. Don't fight it.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-14-24, 08:20 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Projects don’t have to make sense. I’m a fan of blue collar builds.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-14-24, 05:04 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Most of my bikes are lower end or middle moddle bikes. Working on them is my relaxation time. I also wasn't much of a Schwinn fan outside of their old cantilever and balloon tired bikes. But these older Schwinns can be rewarding to work on. Their paint and chrome seem to last longer than most other brands. Parts tend to hold up well, Better Schwinn parts are often available because they sold about a million Varsity's and Continentals. Better non-Schwinn parts can be substituted like alloy rims, better hubs, rear derailleurs and cassettes or freewheels. The front derailleur can be not so easy to replace because of it's skinnier seat tube, but the original usually works well, or at least well enough. I don't get headaches over getting things to fit on these bike. They always go easy. When they are done, they ride surprisingly good for what they are.

So with all of that good stuff, I end up keeping some of the Schwinn's that I acquire. And the others Schwinn's that I decide to sell, I get the benefit of fixing them up and selling them off with the only real profit is that I enjoyed working on them and sometimes some appreciation from the new owners.

The other thing with Varsity's and Continentals is that you can make them into triple chainring touring bikes, single speed, 3 speed, dropped bars, upright bars or even Sting Ray bars. Someone on Bike Forums, way back, welded on extensions to the dropout to make the wheelbase longer. You can do these type of things to Electroforged frames. For a bike tinkerer, they are great. They also make good loaner bikes.

Have fun with your Varsity @Murray Missile and keep us up to date with the progress.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-14-24, 06:05 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Have fun with your Varsity @Murray Missile and keep us up to date with the progress.
I will. I plan to strip it down this weekend while I'm waiting on parts for my Technium and start cleaning up the fork and frame. I'm not going to go crazy on it, it's too small for me. I just want to bring it back to life and see what I can do with what's there then send it to a good home. Besides, I wouldn't want Big Bird getting jealous......

Old 03-14-24, 07:28 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Someone else who uses #0000 steel wool and WD-40 to clean up paint and chrome. I approve.
Likes For MeadMan2:
Old 03-15-24, 05:06 PM
Murray Missile 

It was fun while it lasted......

Well, bad news guys, this little endeavor is over. I'm pulling the plug on Dave, the bottom bracket is WAY beyond saving, it is nothing but rust and I don't have another one. I'll salvage what I can, which isn't much, but I'm moving on to the ones I can save.
Old 03-15-24, 08:16 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Too bad about the bottom bracket, but there are plenty more Varsity's, Continental's and Suburban's out there.

Nice Varsity @Murray Missile . It looks like my comments above were preaching to the choir. I like the fenders on your Big Bird. The wingnuts are a nice touch on a bike of that time.

It is funny that I was not a fan of Schwinn's yellow until I got a Varsity like your blue Varsity above, but in yellow. Well the yellow doesn't look so good when it's dirty and banged up and has rust spots. But when I painted the chainstay, I realized that when it is in good condition, it looks great.

I haven't started on my Varsity yet because I'm busy with other things in my life now, and I need a concept. I'm thinking Sidewinder like. But we'll see.
Old 03-15-24, 08:35 PM
Murray Missile 

. I like the fenders on your Big Bird. The wingnuts are a nice touch on a bike of that time.
The Bird is a '74 Varsity Deluxe. The original high flange wheels were badly corroded, it had been stored in a shed with garden chemicals and both rims were rusted completely through where fertilizer or something had been spilled on them so I swapped on small flange wheels from a '78 World Sport with the 6 speed freewheel from the same bike. I think since the blue one didn't pan out I may do some upgrades to the Bird like alloy wheels and bump him up to a 7 speed freewheel and better derailleurs. I have a NOS 1" clamp Suntour Spirt FD and very clean long cage Suntour RD. I'll probably swap the zinc plated seat post for the chrome one out of the '67 since it was so clean. He's a beast at 45 Lbs. and climbing even small hills isn't much fun but all that mass really soaks up the bumps.
Old 03-15-24, 09:09 PM
Velo Mule

I went to alloy wheels on my Continental and it's a nice upgrade @Murray Missile . And I also upgraded the rear derailleur to a SunTour ARX long cage. The wheels, SunTour Perfect freewheel and derailleur came from a Fuji Espree. Lucky me.

I remember having a Astra bike with Huret Allvit derailleurs. They worked fine for the time. But the later SunTour work better. I still have the old Allvit in a box, if I ever want to go back to it. The older than mine, Allvit derailleurs are rebuildable and have ball bearing pulley wheels. The one that came with my Continental has the same geometry with some economical changes. Rivets instead of specially made shoulder screws and a big lip to prevent the chain from possibly jamming up the mechanism. This could be the reason why some say that the Allvit shifted well and some saying that they are junk. This is especially so since when Huret when to the non-rebuildable Allvit was also the time that Shimano and SunTour were gaining market share.

Anyway, the changes should make the bike more enjoyable to ride and more controllable to brake.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-15-24, 11:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I had planned to drag this 1967 Schwinn Varsity to the curb, it had been out in the elements for years before I got it but when I went back to get it something snapped.
Pulled a back muscle trying to lift it?

Seriously though, a few years ago for the Clunker 100 Challenge, I picked up this Takara which had literally been sitting on the bike rack pictured here out in the rainy PNW elements for at least 7 years before I asked the owner of the business if I could "borrow" it. Turns out it was his brother's and he was happy to let me have it, after restoration I rode it 100 km from my house back to the place I got it and gave it back to him.

Mind you the Takara was a much nicer canvas to start from than the Varsity. Best of luck with your project!
Old 03-16-24, 06:03 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Not as rusty as my Carabela, but the reason why I'm working on getting it back on the road is pretty much the same.

Well, bad news guys, this little endeavor is over. I'm pulling the plug on Dave, the bottom bracket is WAY beyond saving, it is nothing but rust and I don't have another one
If it was anything like the Schwinn bottom brackets I've been in, it didn't have a chance with little to no grease in it to start with.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-16-24, 07:03 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Pulled a back muscle trying to lift it?
All kidding aside, not the bike but the tub of spare parts! I'm splitting them up into smaller tubs ASAP.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Best of luck with your project!
Unless I find a free replacement or find one I forgot about this has become an "ex-project"......
Old 03-16-24, 02:02 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts

Unless I find a free replacement or find one I forgot about this has become an "ex-project"......
Did they use the standard Astabula crank & sealed bearings in '67 ? I went over to the storage house & made these crank & bearings pics. I'll send you these from the Continental pictured above if you can use them to do my part to get a piece of history back on the road. They've been sprayed with cheap paint but that probably helped keep the rust from taking over and should buff off. The bearing are loose. I've also got the front & rear derailleur if you want them. Send me a PM and I'll get them out to you.

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-16-24, 05:46 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Did they use the standard Astabula crank & sealed bearings in '67 ? I went over to the storage house & made these crank & bearings pics. I'll send you these from the Continental pictured above if you can use them to do my part to get a piece of history back on the road. They've been sprayed with cheap paint but that probably helped keep the rust from taking over and should buff off. The bearing are loose. I've also got the front & rear derailleur if you want them. Send me a PM and I'll get them out to you.
Enablers to the left of me, enablers to the right LOL. PM sent.

Looks like "Dave" gets a reprieve from the Governor.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-16-24 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 08:01 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
YAY... fish ON!
Likes For sced:
Old 03-18-24, 11:32 AM
Velo Mule

I will. I plan to strip it down this weekend while I'm waiting on parts for my Technium and start cleaning up the fork and frame. I'm not going to go crazy on it, it's too small for me. I just want to bring it back to life and see what I can do with what's there then send it to a good home. Besides, I wouldn't want Big Bird getting jealous......

That is quite the Varsity @Murray Missile . It looks great. I especially like the original looking fenders and the wing nuts on the axles. If I remember right, some of the Schwinn fenders were stainless steel. While big reflectors could be a distraction on some bikes, on your Varsity, they look right.

In the picture of the Huret/Schwinn approved Allvit rear derailleur that @Deal4Fuji posted above, the Allvit derailleur looks a lot more like a Svelto than I had previously thought. I know Schwinn wanted a protective cover on the derailleur and therefore may have persuaded or encouraged Huret to take the Svelto concept and beef it up with a cover on it. Interesting.
Old 03-18-24, 02:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
I also think I have an Ashtabula crank from a Super Sport in the corner of my basement. Glad to send it along for the cost of shipping!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-18-24, 03:23 PM
Murray Missile 

That is quite the Varsity @Murray Missile . It looks great. I especially like the original looking fenders and the wing nuts on the axles. If I remember right, some of the Schwinn fenders were stainless steel. While big reflectors could be a distraction on some bikes, on your Varsity, they look right.
I got it from the original owner, they had originally had the matching girl's bike but their daughter took it to college and didn't bother to bring it home when she graduated. It's a Varsity Deluxe and those are the original Schwinn chrome steel fenders. It's not mint but it does attract a lot of attention when I get it out and has started more than a few conversations with total strangers. More so than any other bike I have in fact.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 03-20-24 at 04:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.