Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Day 1 of Clipless: FAIL!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Day 1 of Clipless: FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 03:02 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The study involved both elite cyclists and non-cyclists, all of them pedaling at 60% of their own aerobic threshold.
Old 10-26-15, 03:33 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
I did read it and do not understand where you are going?
non-cyclist vs elite cyclist. They used the term elite and as far as the dictionary is concerned, elite means best of the best.
Are you trying to imply that their definition of elite cyclist is not actually 'elite' because they are being compared to a non-cyclist?
You said "incorrect" and then failed to explain yourself.
You could have at least tried lol.
Again I ask; are all the hardcore clipless proponents in this thread 'elite' cyclists by any definition?
I wonder if you read or just act dense to argue? Elite and non-elite pedaled at 60% of max

Edit: whoops. Didn't see Pepe's comment at top of the next page.
Old 10-26-15, 05:26 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They used the term elite and as far as the dictionary is concerned, elite means best of the best.
I doubt they actually used the best professional cyclists in the world for this test. I doubt top professionals would waste their time with it.
Old 10-26-15, 05:26 PM
Wolololo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh boy, after reading 5 pages I feel so bias right now. I only ride in city area so I have to stop a lot. But in the other hand, I really want to improve my speed and form in general, should I invest in clipless pedals?
Old 10-26-15, 05:41 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Is that commuting? I wouldn't bother for commuting tbh (and I actually don't, my daily beater has flat pedals.)
Old 10-26-15, 05:43 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wolololo
Oh boy, after reading 5 pages I feel so bias right now. I only ride in city area so I have to stop a lot. But in the other hand, I really want to improve my speed and form in general, should I invest in clipless pedals?
I'm kind of in the same boat. I commute ~7 miles each way, with about 5 stoplights along the way. Not much for such distance, but enough to make one question the value of it. For me, I wanted a system that would be easy for setup, and get me the balance of versatility - could clip in for weekend rides, and clipped out for my shortish commute. I looked up the Shimano PD-A530 dual platforms, but I didn't like the idea of it in the end.

Eventually, I settled on Bikedabs take on it... an adaptor piece to plug into your existing clipless pedals. Just change to regular shoes and snap on the adaptor for shorter rides... snap off the adaptor and throw on the road shoes for the other.

Works for me. After having taken the shoes out on it's first 40 mile ride last weekend, and comparing it with my commute today, I can only say... I can't wait for the weekend to roll around again.
Old 10-26-15, 05:43 PM
Wolololo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's commuting but 15miles one way.
Old 10-26-15, 05:52 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
No, but you should invest in disc brakes.
Old 10-26-15, 05:55 PM
Wolololo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OnyxTiger
I'm kind of in the same boat. I commute ~7 miles each way, with about 5 stoplights along the way. Not much for such distance, but enough to make one question the value of it. For me, I wanted a system that would be easy for setup, and get me the balance of versatility - could clip in for weekend rides, and clipped out for my shortish commute. I looked up the Shimano PD-A530 dual platforms, but I didn't like the idea of it in the end.

Eventually, I settled on Bikedabs take on it... an adaptor piece to plug into your existing clipless pedals. Just change to regular shoes and snap on the adaptor for shorter rides... snap off the adaptor and throw on the road shoes for the other.

Works for me. After having taken the shoes out on it's first 40 mile ride last weekend, and comparing it with my commute today, I can only say... I can't wait for the weekend to roll around again.
Nice! My commute has flat and hill which is very nice to train. I really want to know how much clipless pedal helps me compare to flat.
Old 10-26-15, 05:56 PM
Wolololo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
No, but you should invest in disc brakes.
Why? Does it improve my speed?
Old 10-26-15, 06:16 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice! My commute has flat and hill which is very nice to train. I really want to know how much clipless pedal helps me compare to flat.
Helps you be faster, for starters. The stiffness of the sole on cycling shoes ensure that your power transfer to the pedals is maxed. I could definitely tell the difference in how, when I pedal with sneakers, how the flexibility and softness of it just didn't feel quite as powerful. If you'd like to sprint out of the saddle, I'd take clipless all day. There's not one bit of worry of losing your footing.

The only challenge you'll have with clipless is all the stops you have in your commute. This seems to be one of the biggest factors for commuters regarding this system. (That, and the ability to wear any shoes/sandals you want on a commute... walkability, etc.)

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide when/if you'll make that jump. I know I'm glad that I did. Again, I ride with regular shoes on my commute. That could change, or not. But between the two ways of cycling, I'm in love with clipless. And that's after 1 week. And a fall.
Old 10-26-15, 06:24 PM
Wolololo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helps you be faster, for starters. The stiffness of the sole on cycling shoes ensure that your power transfer to the pedals is maxed. I could definitely tell the difference in how, when I pedal with sneakers, how the flexibility and softness of it just didn't feel quite as powerful. If you'd like to sprint out of the saddle, I'd take clipless all day. There's not one bit of worry of losing your footing.

The only challenge you'll have with clipless is all the stops you have in your commute. This seems to be one of the biggest factors for commuters regarding this system. (That, and the ability to wear any shoes/sandals you want on a commute... walkability, etc.)

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide when/if you'll make that jump. I know I'm glad that I did. Again, I ride with regular shoes on my commute. That could change, or not. But between the two ways of cycling, I'm in love with clipless. And that's after 1 week. And a fall.
I've got lots of scars from the pedal hitting to my shins. So I think switching to clipless will resolve that. Seems like I cannot avoid to fall in the first week so I already prepare for that,lol.
Old 10-26-15, 06:32 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well good luck man. Practice and keep alert and try and react quick and ahead of time. If you can sense that you'll fall to the clipped side, you might have that fraction of a second to snatch your feet off the pedals in time to save you. Cheers
Old 10-26-15, 06:48 PM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense but I have often wondered if it truly is.
Numerous studies point to the possibility that there is zero benefit to clipless. Are these studies conclusive? Of course not, but I think they are pertinent enough to leave a lot of room for doubt as to the true benefits of clipless.
Several of my LBS owners stated to my face that one of the downsides to clipless is the possible lack of being able to adjust position enough which could lead to other issues. Again, nothing conclusive but enough room for doubt. And these are people in the business of selling expensive accessories like pedals and shoes.
Also, damn near every time I read one of the many posts about people starting out on clipless almost every other rider in the thread mentions the times they fell for no other reason than they were using clipless. These falls may not be catastrophic but they almost always cause some small amount of damage to the bike.
Lastly, most studies that are pro clipless end up concluding that the benefits are only time related and usually amount to less than 60 seconds over many miles.
Spend all the extra money on pedals and shoes to save what amounts to mere seconds and almost guarantees a few extra scratches or dings why?
Everybody loves Kool-Aid baby...
I'm not a seasoned cyclist (after the teenage years) but I've been doing clipless for about a year, now. I started with the clips and went to the clipless because with nothing, I didn't trust my feet to stay gripped to the pedals. I would rather fall at <3mph than my feet slip off and crash at over 20mph. Might be more than hips break, then.

I'm editing to add a little more after reading through the whole thread. I've fallen about 3 times in the past year. Nothing happened more than bruised thigh and ego, and I'm 57 (almost). I had my foot slip off of the pedals about that same number of times before going with any form of shoe anchoring system. Even when I commute 15 miles one way, it's totally worth it for me to wear my cycling clothes, as well as my clipless shoes. I take my work clothes with me or plan ahead and take them, previously. I have a number of stops along the way, but the security of the shoes attached to my pedals makes my ride more enjoyable.

I'm not really sure why all of the back and forth, and running in circles chasing tails when it's all a matter of personal choice. There are things I believe in, and you'll never change my mind about those things, but there are also issues that are really important to the betterment of mankind, that I will listen to and weigh out with open mind. Something as insignificant as a shoe with a rubber sole or a flat shoe with a clip on the bottom, is not one of those.

Cheers!

Last edited by spoiledrotten; 10-26-15 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Adding to:
Old 10-26-15, 06:50 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got lots of scars from the pedal hitting to my shins. So I think switching to clipless will resolve that. Seems like I cannot avoid to fall in the first week so I already prepare for that,lol.
Lots of people don't fall in the beginning. In fact, if you lighten up on your pedal tension while you're learning, there's a good chance you won't fall either. I've only fallen 2 times and neither were a result of forgetting to unclip. In one case, I'd gotten a new bike and got new pedals since I was keeping my old one and didn't want to constantly be switching. The tension was set tighter on the pedals with the new bike and since they didn't cause me trouble most of the time, I didn't adjust them. But once after a much longer than usual ride, I couldn't manage to get out in time despite trying.

The other "fall" involved a crash with a car, although the pedals worked exactly as they should have and my foot was released once I hit the ground. Thankfully, my only souvenir was a week's worth of road rash.
Old 10-27-15, 03:38 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Why? Does it improve my speed?
Yes, generally 1-2 mph but that can depend on whether you're using the discs in conjunction with bike shoes or not.
Old 10-27-15, 06:07 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I started riding with platform pedals. I then went to clips and straps, then switched all my bikes to clipless. Now I am back to platform pedals on the bikes I ride the most. I don't ride for ragged edge performance and I don't miss my clipless pedals at all. I don't see a performance difference. I love the convenience of riding in shoes that I can drive in and walk in. Since switching back to platform, I haven't arrived at my riding destination only to discover I had forgotten my shoes. That counts for a lot. It is unlikely that recreational riders will gain measurably from going clipless. I'll leave the argument about the benefits of racers using clipless to the racers.
Old 10-27-15, 09:35 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I started riding with platform pedals. I then went to clips and straps, then switched all my bikes to clipless. Now I am back to platform pedals on the bikes I ride the most. I don't ride for ragged edge performance and I don't miss my clipless pedals at all. I don't see a performance difference. I love the convenience of riding in shoes that I can drive in and walk in. Since switching back to platform, I haven't arrived at my riding destination only to discover I had forgotten my shoes. That counts for a lot. It is unlikely that recreational riders will gain measurably from going clipless. I'll leave the argument about the benefits of racers using clipless to the racers.

Well, there is that.

Maybe also giving up cycling shorts would help with that awkward problem

of arriving at one's destination having forgotten one's pants.
Old 10-27-15, 09:56 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Well, there is that.

I was going to point out how foolish his way of thinking is, but I didn't want him to think I was saying he's a fool.
Old 10-27-15, 10:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Eventually, I settled on Bikedabs take on it... an adaptor piece to plug into your existing clipless pedals. Just change to regular shoes and snap on the adaptor for shorter rides... snap off the adaptor and throw on the road shoes for the other...
Doesn't the thickness of the plug/platform change the effective crank-to-saddle distance? Are we talking more than a few millimeters thickness?
Old 10-27-15, 10:16 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Montag311
At least you didn't fall over at a 4-way stop intersection with cars lined up in all directions watching you look like an idiot (like I did ).
This seems like the only time that I fall by not clipping out or leaning to the wrong side. It has only happened a few times but it is always good for a laugh.
My buddy came over the other day with his son to show me their new mtbs. He stopped in my yard and went down. Luckily for him my dog was there to greet him and lick his face as he was on the ground.
Old 10-27-15, 11:41 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Well, there is that.

I guess I left myself open for that one. In the off chance someone didn't really get my point, I'll spell it out more clearly. I don't drive in cleated shoes. I am assuming most people don't. More than once I have arrived at my ride start point only to realize I had forgotten my cleated shoes. I do drive in my padded shorts.
Old 10-27-15, 01:01 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
@PepeM has fired shots across the bow.

What would Lebron James do?