Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid 70's Schwinn Continental questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 08:58 PM
Thor06
I Like Heavy Old Schwinns

Bikes: 1985 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I may have mentioned in a thread or two that I am looking for a road bike for my brother. Well, I think I found one. I was parusing about Craig's List today and stumbled upon a 1970's Continental for a good price. You all can find that out later, I dont want one of you vultures swooping my kill . Anyway, I just wanted to find out some info on it. After about 45 minutes of googling and other various web searches I know about as much as when I started. I understand that it was below the Super Sport and Paramount, but above the Sportabout and Varsity correct? Any rough idea on the weight? Were quality components used? 10 speed right? Did they have 27" wheels?

I'm like 90% done with my '85 World Sport so its perfect timing for another project bike. They did say it needs a new tire and a bit of other work, but atleast its not all rusted like the World Sport was. Oh, its 18 miles away and I am not sure if I have a ride up there or not, so I might have to get creative with me and my bike. Has anyone ever transported another bike on their bike before? I think I might just bring my back pack, take off both wheels and handle bar, put what I can in my back pack, and strap the rest to my back. I know it sounds like a rediculous idea, but does anyone think it would work?

Last thought: someone super knowledgable in Schwinns should do a little Wikipedia work. Thats usually where I go first when I want to know something about anything, but there is nothing and a half on Schwinns.
Old 05-10-08, 09:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Mostly Varsity info here, but some on the Continental. Mind you, they're essentially the same thing, save for tubular forks and Weinmann/Dia-Compe centerpulls on the Continental:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=415563

This said, I have three all-chrome ladies' Schwinn electroforged framesets - obviously either Varsities or Continentals. Without the forks or decals though, it is impossible to tell which. You can just as well build them up either way for that matter.

-Kurt

Old 05-10-08, 09:09 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Continental was very similar to the Varsity except it had brake lever mounted barrel tensioning for the brakes and it had French pedals.

I think it also had an aluminum stem. The rest was very similar.

They are very reliable machines and the geometry and materials made for a very smooth ride.

The Conti is also a asthetically beautiful with it's rich chrome parts and fashionable colors.

They were pretty heavy, though - weighing in close to 40 lbs (somewhere in the high thirty-something lbs to be more exact).

Nice ride. Conti in VERY good shape - $120 bucks max.
Old 05-10-08, 09:21 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Just got a Conti myself

Just bought a '75 Continental from the original owner today. Besides the fork, quick release rims, and centerpull brakes, I don't think there's much difference from a Varsity.

As others have said on this forum, these bikes are heavy with the stock components...I'm going to weigh them tomorrow, but the Continental is easily 8-10 lbs heavier than my '90 World Sport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
conti_1_compressed.jpg (88.8 KB, 95 views)
conti_6_compressed.jpg (79.8 KB, 69 views)
conti_4.jpg (75.2 KB, 54 views)
conti_5_compressed.jpg (86.3 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by ohjonnybegoode; 05-10-08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 09:36 PM
Thor06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I do remember the Varsity thread, thanks for pointing that out. So I take it the centerpulls are an upgrade? I cant imagine something 8-10 lbs more than a World Sport, I thought those things were the tanks of all tanks! Ha ha. $120 max eh? I'm getting to for a little more than a 2 hour bike ride and a little over a hundred dollars less than that.
Old 05-10-08, 09:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by mike
The Continental was very similar to the Varsity except it had brake lever mounted barrel tensioning for the brakes and it had French pedals.
The brake lever barrel adjusters are on the '80s models only. '70s models had the small Q/R on the top of the lever arm, and the adjustment on the cable stop.

Originally Posted by mike
I think it also had an aluminum stem.
Chalk one up for Mike - I forgot about the aluminum stem. It had aluminum bars as well.

P.S. to the OP: Here are some photos to get you exited about Continentals. Curiously enough, it is the only bike in my entire stable that has not had its turkey levers rightfully whacked off:

(Where's Scooper's "BLING" graphic when you need it?)

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-10-08 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 09:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Thor06
So I take it the centerpulls are an upgrade?
Some folks find them spongy, but when compared with the Weinmann sidepulls used on the Varsity, they're a heck of a lot better when adjusted right.

-Kurt

Old 05-10-08, 09:51 PM
Thor06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on, thanks man. I did notice that my bike doesnt particularly like to stop, I thought that might have a little something to do with the fact that they're side pulls.

And that green bike is the HOT!
Old 05-10-08, 10:09 PM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NICE CUDKA888, Wish I could find a Bike like that green beauty,,,,,
Old 05-10-08, 10:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by sportridertex
NICE CUDKA888, Wish I could find a Bike like that green beauty,,,,,
It wasn't always beautiful:

Nothing remains of the original base hulk you see there save for the frame, hubs, saddle (with replacement badge), and brake levers (which were rebuilt with components from other levers, for the record). Took 4 months to round up all the parts and finish the project - and I dare say I could have completed it faster if I had wished to do so. The stuck aluminum handlebar stem (and replacement fork) slowed me down by 2.5 months.

On the positive side, IIRC, this bike is the one that brought me from the (worthless) schwinnbike.com forum to BF's C&V

-Kurt

Old 05-11-08, 04:07 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
KURT! That is a Gorgeous clean-up job you did on that Conti - really beautiful. I LOVE it!

Hey, I wonder if there was a difference in the hubs between a Conti and a Varsity? I think this is an often overlooked detail.
Old 05-11-08, 07:29 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Continental features not found on the Varsity:
    • Center-pull Brakes
    • Quick-release Wheels
    • Alloy Stem and Bars
    • Stippled Rims(found on most -- a feature that was supposed to improve braking -- of dubious utility)
    • Leather Covered Saddle(early examples only)

They ranged in weight from 35 to 38 pounds, depending on frame size. A lot of this tonnage was the result of the steel components used on the bike -- one-piece steel crank, steel rims, steel kick-stand, etc.

It is possible to get an EF frame Schwinn to come in @ <30 pounds. I know, because I've done it.
    Old 05-11-08, 09:48 AM
    wrk101
    Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
    Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
    As I recall back in 1972, my Continental cost $10 more than a Varsity (around $110). It is really bottom end, Schwinn boomer bike, and very heavy. Unless you are stuck on getting a Schwinn, I would pick something else. I see vintage steel Treks (from the 1980s) on C/L all the time for reasonable pricing, and they had much better components, lighter weight, and so on.
    Old 05-11-08, 10:17 AM
    Thor06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Weight isnt so much an issue, atleast not now and not on these bikes. This one (and my World Sport) will ultimately be mostly flat land transportation and an occasional alternative to running. Even if its a 40 lb tank its still going to be faster and more reliable than either of our mountain bikes. I cant say I'm 100% stuck on Schwinn's, but I have to admit I am partial to them. Beyond that I like my buddy's Peugeot, but I'd buy any bike regardless of brand for what I am getting this Schwinn for.
    Old 05-11-08, 10:24 AM
    cudak888 
    www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Thor06
    Beyond that I like my buddy's Peugeot, but I'd buy any bike regardless of brand for what I am getting this Schwinn for.
    Then buy it - even if it does not work out for its intended purpose, you can fiddle about with it, and enjoy looking at it as I do mine (I dislike the quality of the ride to the point that I will not ride it).

-Kurt

Old 05-11-08, 10:48 AM
    stringbreaker
    stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I spent WAY more on this Conti than it was or ever will be worth but I love it and it gets a lot of oohs and ahs. Its 31 lbs like it sits with alloy rims and a custom made aluminum seat post and alloy modern crankset. Its powdercoated in Wagon red and reproduction decals. I replaced the ugly black dr with a nicer Suntour

Last edited by stringbreaker; 05-11-08 at 10:59 AM.
    Old 05-11-08, 08:16 PM
    mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Originally Posted by stringbreaker
    I spent WAY more on this Conti than it was or ever will be worth but I love it and it gets a lot of oohs and ahs. Its 31 lbs like it sits with alloy rims and a custom made aluminum seat post and alloy modern crankset. Its powdercoated in Wagon red and reproduction decals. I replaced the ugly black dr with a nicer Suntour
    Hee hee. Beautifully done, stringbreaker. She looks magnificent. I mean this in the kindest way, but "beautiful gas pipes". I don't know anybody who has gone to the lengths you have for a Conti, but as a fellow affectionato of the Conti, I thank you for preserving her so nicely.
    Old 05-11-08, 08:30 PM
    stringbreaker
    stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    What I do know is when I get on this bike and it absorbs all the harshness in the road without the benefit of shocks on the fork and saddle I thank God for steel bikes. Its kind of like the old American cars not real nimble but she glides down the road.
    Old 05-12-08, 08:37 PM
    Thor06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    An interesting twist came today, my mom has a 1972 or 1976 Varsity (got it for graduation from either college or high school) that I think my brother is going to ride. I'm a bit worried about it being too small, but we'll see. I still havent heard back from the Continental guy, but its good to know we've got a back up.
    Old 05-17-08, 01:56 PM
    BikeGuitarist
    rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the current appearance of my beloved Schwinn "Sportinental" (originally a Sportabout but with Continental quick-release wheels and center-pull brakes). The front wheel was rebuilt this year. The original SunTour rear derailleur was replaced with another that was NOS (never used before) a few years back even though it was still going strong (I'm keeping the original for backup and for historical purposes...might end up in a museum one day).

As for the riding qualities...oh yeah...oh YEAH! This is a very comfortable bicycle to ride long distances. It helps if you play guitar as you ride. Sitting straight up is a lot more comfortable than being hunched over the handlebars and you can enjoy the scenery more (also easier to turn one's head to look around and behind you).

There are videos of me riding it at The Bicycling Guitarist web site, and details of its past restoration (circa 2000-2003). Nothing posted yet of the work done this year other than what I've said in these forums.
    Old 05-17-08, 02:28 PM
    Scooper
    Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
    Quoted: 634 Post(s)
    Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
    Originally Posted by cudak888

(Where's Scooper's "BLING" graphic when you need it?)

-Kurt

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
    Old 05-17-08, 03:08 PM
    East Hill
    Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
    Quoted: 5 Post(s)
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Originally Posted by BikeGuitarist
    As for the riding qualities...oh yeah...oh YEAH! This is a very comfortable bicycle to ride long distances. It helps if you play guitar as you ride. Sitting straight up is a lot more comfortable than being hunched over the handlebars and you can enjoy the scenery more (also easier to turn one's head to look around and behind you).

We need to get you up here to Washington State so that you and stringbreaker can ride together. Perhaps you can encourage him to play the guitar as he rides along the trail!

If you do that, I will come along and join in the fun .

East Hill
    Old 05-17-08, 04:40 PM
    Noah Scape
    can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
    Quoted: 15 Post(s)
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm not sure I've ever shared a pic of my Conti... so here's my '72. The seatpost and stem are the only original parts. Alloy wheels, Brooks B72, Schwinn saddlebag, Wald chrome fenders and handlebars… still a bit on the heavy side but very comfortable. It was my commuter all week this past week. I've had this thing since the early 80s and had to repaint it in '94 after extended exposure to the rain in the ever-so-moist environs of Humboldt County.

Old 05-17-08, 05:05 PM
    stringbreaker
    stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    AAAHHHHH the joys of the Continental they have a certain panche compared to lesser beings Noah looks as if you used the BB adapter to use a three piece crankset. I used one on mine its a pretty neat little gizmo
    Old 05-17-08, 07:51 PM
    old_alfie
    Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Over the past winter I did a cosmetic backdating build up of this Conti on a 1974 frame. Fenders and chainguard came from a Metro Bike. The rims are new inexpensive 27" alloys laced onto Sturmey Archer AW and DynoHub centers. I originally built it with the very old Schwinn handlebar seen in the pics but that was terribly uncomfortable for me so after the builders-photo shoot we installed a standard Schwinn upright bar.

The chainguard had to be shortened from the rear by about an inch and a clamp-type mount fabricated for the front of the chainguard.

Brakes are old Schwinn script, the headbadge is a Schwinn from the late thirties, and the frosting of the cake is the Carradice bag and the white rear fender blaze.

I was aiming for a characterization of an English roadster.
    alf

EDIT: forgot to mention the chainring; I'm not happy with that one and would love to find a suitable more vintage looking one but my old knees do need the 39-tooth small size there. That's the "small" ring from the original Conti dual. Gonna have to stay there for the time being.
    Attached Images
    Conti 1.jpg (85.4 KB, 54 views)
    Conti 2.jpg (92.8 KB, 50 views)
    Conti 3.jpg (83.7 KB, 49 views)
    Conti 4.jpg (90.7 KB, 47 views)
    Conti 5.jpg (87.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by old_alfie; 05-17-08 at 07:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.