Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wholesale bike parts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

wholesale bike parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 04:36 AM
linx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wholesale bike parts

Do wholesalers only sell to bike shops? I'm workiing on some ideas for a bike and don't want to pay retail prices on parts, so if you have any ideas where I can source items at wholesale, please let me know? Thx.
Old 05-20-08, 06:58 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.tradekey.com/buyoffer_lis...ycle-Parts.htm
Old 05-20-08, 07:39 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only is your willing to purchase a 20' container packed full.
Old 05-20-08, 09:20 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Only is your willing to purchase a 20' container packed full.
Exactly.

Why would anyone want to sell you bike parts at no profit just because you don't want to pay retail? If you want wholesale prices, get a job at a bike shop.
Old 05-20-08, 10:11 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really quite simple. Just put your hard earned cash and family fortune on the line, pledge your personal property and open a bike shop. Stock loads of goods in the hope that you chose right and don't get stuck with inventory that you can't sell. You can then buy all you want wholesale. With any luck you wont encounter customers that want to cut you out of the supply chain in an attempt to buy at the same prices without any of the associated risks. I'm just saying!
Old 05-20-08, 01:00 PM
linx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blamp28
With any luck you wont encounter customers that want to cut you out of the supply chain in an attempt to buy at the same prices without any of the associated risks. I'm just saying!
Thanks for tip!
Old 05-20-08, 01:11 PM
linx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
If you want wholesale prices, get a job at a bike shop.
Why?

Last edited by linx; 11-18-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 01:53 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by linx
I already work at a bike shop and would prefer not to order parts through them, which is why I posted this here.
So, you not only want to stiff a generic local bike shop, you want to stiff one that pays you.

Why not just ask them who they get their parts from, or go rummaging through their catalogs or contact lists?

Maybe you can see if you can piggy back on one of their orders and just eliminate their mark-up. You seem like a model employee putting their needs above your own... surely they'll bypass any profit and spend whatever effort is needed to get you everything you want in exchange.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-20-08, 03:38 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are many online shops and eBay where you can buy parts cheaper than a bike shop from a wholesale warehouse.

www.nashbar.com
www.aebike.com
www.jensonusa.com
www.biketoolsetc.com
www.bikepartsusa.com
www.gvhbikes.com

There are online shops that sell classic parts: www.benscycle.net www.velo-orange.com
Old 05-20-08, 03:47 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for tip!
No sweat. Just trying to help you see your question from a diferent perspective. I have no Idea how to respond when I find out that you work at a bike shop and can likely allready buy at a discount. Maybe you can start a union at your shop too
Old 05-20-08, 04:04 PM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utter naiveté, totally clueless.
alf
Old 05-20-08, 04:06 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old_alfie
Utter naiveté, totally clueless.
alf
Agreed
Old 05-20-08, 05:46 PM
linx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
So, you not only want to stiff a generic local bike shop, you want to stiff one that pays you.
No so.

Last edited by linx; 11-18-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 06:19 PM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I was too busy serving my country in Iraq and now have to work two jobs to pay my bills, since I took a serious pay cut when I enlisted in the military. Take a hike jackass.
Every older subscriber here has learned how to prioritize his limited funds, particularly those subscribers who in earlier times served our Republic and did it without sounding Pharisaical.
alf
Old 05-20-08, 06:22 PM
Brightwork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are ways to order from a wholesaler without being a real shop. All involve a bit of misleading on your part and a registered company with the proper tax numbers. For the $25 you'll save, just buy online.
Old 05-20-08, 06:36 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brightwork
There are ways to order from a wholesaler without being a real shop. All involve a bit of misleading on your part and a registered company with the proper tax numbers. For the $25 you'll save, just buy online.
Sure, just LIE and you can get a great deal. Not even an option for a person with integrity.
Old 05-20-08, 06:42 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I was too busy serving my country in Iraq and now have to work two jobs to pay my bills, since I took a serious pay cut when I enlisted in the military. Take a hike jackass.

So you're willing to serve your country. Thank you for that by the way. But you are also willing to screw the business owner who gave you employment. NICE.
Old 05-20-08, 07:02 PM
linx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blamp28
But you are also willing to screw the business owner who gave you employment. NICE.
Thanks.

Last edited by linx; 11-18-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 07:24 PM
danielguzman78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about bike part wholesalers but in most industries it's hard for any wholesaler to just sell to joe shmoe. I've worked with computer part wholesalers in the past, to them it's not worth selling to random people.

you may find some stores online who sell items for less simply cuz they dont have to keep a storefront. try them.

as for playing "I was serving my country in iraq" card... i think that's a crappy and irrelevant.
Old 05-20-08, 07:37 PM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Linx, it remains a bit of a mystery to me *why* you don't want to deal with your bike shop for the parts, as they are your best shot at getting wholesale-ish prices for smaller quantities.
Otherwise, you need to make it worth a vendor's while to sell you parts at a cheaper price. The less it costs someone to sell you something, the bigger the potential for a discount. Typically, that means you (a) purchase in quantity and/or (b) require *no* support. If you generate a reasonable stream of purchases, perhaps you could talk with another local bike shop about getting a discount; this may or may not be better than just ordering online as mentioned above. In any case, once you get a reseller ID from your state, you'll be able to avoid having to double-pay on sales tax.
Old 05-20-08, 07:42 PM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The back and forth aspersions starting at post #8 are a bit much. It's a safe bet to assume ignorance until there's real evidence of malice.
Old 05-20-08, 07:54 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
What kind of parts and what quantities?

For example, Wald makes a lot of generic bike parts, but sells only wholesale. Pretty much, you'd need a business name and address to set up an account, maybe bank references or something as well.

One thing to watch is that in a lot of places, you can't legally run a business from a house, even though there is seemingly no logical reason not to- simply a matter of zoning laws.

Be careful buying parts in bulk from a vendor you haven't dealt with before- there is some low quality stuff out there.
Old 05-20-08, 08:27 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondoman
The back and forth aspersions starting at post #8 are a bit much. It's a safe bet to assume ignorance until there's real evidence of malice.
Old 05-20-08, 08:48 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a real BIG mouth for someone that sits behind a screen. The shop I work at already knows I repair bikes on the side. Regardless, I still don't want to deal with them for parts. Got it?
GOT IT but I don't get it. That's fine as it's really none of my business. I'm not really trying to come off as harsh but I do tend to stick up for the small business owner who has usually put much or all at risk to be in business and it seems that you want to get around that reality. If you are trying to start your own business then fantastic and good luck with it. My apology if this is the case. I applaud you for taking the risks and hope you reap the rewards. If, on the other hand, you are just trying to cut a deal normally reserved for those with a bigger stake in the game, then my remarks are in line. Thanks again for your service to our country.
Old 05-20-08, 09:06 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I found out that an employee was buying parts at wholesale to operate a side business repairing bikes and taking away business from the shop, they'd be terminated.

Employee purchases are for the employee's personal benefit only in exchange for the advertising it brings to the shop, and as a perk for loyalty shown. It is not for financial gain of the employee, and many shops have policies that strictly forbid the selling of parts purchased through EP until a designated amount of time has passed, and also forbid them being sold at a profit.

If you're hurting for cash, ask your boss for a raise and/or more hours at the shop. Dealing under the table on the side is not the way to become trusted with more responsibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.