Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I the ONLY one???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Am I the ONLY one???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 05:39 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Am I the ONLY one???

Anyone else use a Miami Sun Trike?

I have mine set up to pull a 4 wheel (44 inch X 36 inches, 1,000 pound capacity) lawn tractor /garden cart.
Cart pulls straight, carries a weeks worth of groceries or all bivouac gear needed for a month, plus rods, reels, and tackle boxes for fishing.

I prefer the Miami Sun trike and cart to the car, or even my 21 speed mountain bike pulling a 2 kiddie trailer modified for hauling cargo and not kiddies.
Old 05-11-08, 06:12 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Never heard of these trikes....sounds interesting do you have any photos you could post?
Old 05-12-08, 06:57 AM
Phatboi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah that sounds kinda cool can we have some pics?
Old 05-12-08, 11:23 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Just do a google search for them- more or less a conventional upright adult trike.

My impression is that they tend to be underused due to being viewed as an old person's bicycle, although I've seen a couple set up as lowriders, too. They should make one that is about a foot longer on the rear, with a huge basket, and that might pick up interest as a utility bike.
Old 05-13-08, 10:58 AM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One reason trikes are not appealing to me, is that it seems like every time I look at one it is either a one speed or a three speed. Just not going to happen in Seattle. I need full mountain bike gearing if I'm going to be hauling a large load.
Old 05-13-08, 11:05 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashen
One reason trikes are not appealing to me, is that it seems like every time I look at one it is either a one speed or a three speed. Just not going to happen in Seattle. I need full mountain bike gearing if I'm going to be hauling a large load.

Greenspeeds and Catrikes are geared well, but they aren't cargo trikes - although they can be used to pull a trailer.
Old 05-13-08, 11:16 AM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love the design of those too, almost bought one a few years ago and I still drool over the Windcheetah. But it is definitely apples and oranges when comparing with cargo trikes

Originally Posted by vik

Greenspeeds and Catrikes are geared well, but they aren't cargo trikes - although they can be used to pull a trailer.
Old 05-13-08, 11:47 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

They make some recumbent cargo trikes, but that's a lot different from the upright trikes. One reason for not having more gears with them is you don't want to go too fast.
Old 05-13-08, 04:47 PM
bloompedal08

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Never heard of these trikes....sounds interesting do you have any photos you could post?
seconded!
Old 05-13-08, 07:52 PM
CW Spook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right here...they show all the Sun trikes.

https://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/index.html
Old 05-14-08, 07:23 AM
bloompedal08

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to see the setup pulling the cart...
Old 05-14-08, 12:03 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life

I have mine set up to pull a 4 wheel (44 inch X 36 inches, 1,000 pound capacity) lawn tractor /garden cart.
Cart pulls straight, carries a weeks worth of groceries or all bivouac gear needed for a month, plus rods, reels, and tackle boxes for fishing.

I prefer the Miami Sun trike and cart to the car, or even my 21 speed mountain bike pulling a 2 kiddie trailer modified for hauling cargo and not kiddies.
No.. I use an '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike which has a bigger basket then the conventional Sun trikes. Other than that I agree with you. I find it to bet THE best grocery getter. A long bike might be faster over the road, but a trike doesn't need to be propped up to load..
Old 05-14-08, 12:23 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a Worksman PAV (a yellow one like the photo) with a few mods
to make it really useful.

https://www.worksman.com/pav.html

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-17-08, 07:31 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Do you ever have trouble with the inside wheel coming off the ground when turning? My dad used to work at a factory that had some industrial trikes of some sort, and he said they did this very easily. But I've never tried one myself.
Old 05-17-08, 09:03 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

The PAV is a little lower. My reverse trike (two front wheels, bicycle rear end) is in fact very tippy. You have to take curves slower, almost have to stop to turn a sharp corner. Additionally, if you try to ride on a sloped surface, the thing is going to lean and you just have to deal with it. Pulling out of my driveway onto the alley almost turned me over- the alley is lower in the middle, so I was turning on a slope that sloped the wrong way.

The orignal poster asked if they were the only ones using one- and just this week I saw a guy riding one here in my town- youngish guy, too.
Old 05-18-08, 02:49 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

I bolted a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under my rear basket. Drilled a 1/2 inch hole for the pin. the trailer/cart I have has a handle that lets you pull it bu hand, or take the hand part off and hook to a ATV/ Riding Mower, etc. with a single pin.

When I get back to FL, I will take and post a pic of the trike and cart together.

Works great.
Old 05-18-08, 02:55 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Originally Posted by Lamplight
Do you ever have trouble with the inside wheel coming off the ground when turning? My dad used to work at a factory that had some industrial trikes of some sort, and he said they did this very easily. But I've never tried one myself.
Oh yea, inside, outside, sometimes intentionally! That is 1/2 or more of the fun! (And helps avoid the potholes)
If you lean the right way though, all three will stay in the ground.
Old 06-02-08, 02:42 PM
sing_1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to buy a Miami Sun Trike. I found it on craigs list, brand new never used, and I think it would make a lot more sense to ride it to the grocery store than the car. But I'm wondering about locking it. What kind of lock do you use? Thanks
Old 06-08-08, 01:02 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Thumbs up

"I'm getting ready to buy a Miami Sun Trike. I found it on craigs list, brand new never used, and I think it would make a lot more sense to ride it to the grocery store than the car. But I'm wondering about locking it. What kind of lock do you use? Thanks" sing_1

I use a 12 mm diameter Kripton bike cable, (12 foot length) and a big Master Lock "Contractor Grade High Security" padlock. I wanted to be able to lock all three wheels as well as the frame to the rack/ street lamp pole/ tree, etc. hence the 12 foot cable. I also use a one of the combination retractable "helmet" locks for the seat and my helmet.

The FIRST thing you will want to get (in addition to the cable and lock) is a cruiser type saddle. The "tractor seat" that comes standard on the Miami Sun trike is the most UNCOMFORTABLE thing you have ever sat on while pedaling, since it hits the back of your thighs.

You will also want to add a cycle computer. Great to know how fast and far you have gone, because (presuming you change the seat) you will not believe you only went that far (if you don't change the seat, you will swear you went at least 100 times farther than you actually did).

Are you getting the single speed or 3 speed version?

The owners manual says you should not go over 7 MPH, but I have no problems at up to 15 MPH on the flats.

Last edited by bicyclridr4life; 06-08-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 02:16 PM
Jagee

Bikes: Trek 1400, Raleigh 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride cargo trikes (front and rear loaders) for work at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. They were great to get in and around the crowds with and another bonus was they were fixed! I think they were Worksman--older ones originally made in Hoboken I think. I'd love to get my hands on one now. At lunch break, there was one corner heading back to the shop that if you took it just right, you could be on two wheels for quite a while--fun with a fixed gear. As long as there were no hills, they were great for moving gardening gear, etc. around. Easy to load up.
Old 06-08-08, 06:38 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
My 70ish yr old mother-in-law has one.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-15-08, 03:46 PM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a photo of a SUN recumbent SX3 trike set up as a _serious_ cargo hauler.
alf

PS: if the owner of the photo is reading this, thanks and I mean no infringement of your rights. I got it who-knows-where off the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trike.jpg (95.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-15-08, 05:51 PM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old_alfie
Here is a photo of a SUN recumbent SX3 trike set up as a _serious_ cargo hauler.
alf

PS: if the owner of the photo is reading this, thanks and I mean no infringement of your rights. I got it who-knows-where off the internet.
Looks like freedom to me...
Old 06-16-08, 06:58 AM
sing_1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, except for the snide one

I was replying to a question from someone who rides a Miami Sun trike, and I was in the process of buying one. Nobody asked for comments from the peanut gallery.

As to the other comments, I'll reply when I have more time. Thanks again
Old 06-16-08, 09:12 PM
dwnptrl_777
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sing_1
I was replying to a question from someone who rides a Miami Sun trike, and I was in the process of buying one. Nobody asked for comments from the peanut gallery.

As to the other comments, I'll reply when I have more time. Thanks again
(stows peanuts behind gallery)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.