Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wal Mart is Evil so I took off my clothes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Wal Mart is Evil so I took off my clothes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 11:16 PM
grayloon

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mondaycurse
I had to go to wal-mart today (don't worry, I was just using the ATM) and noticed that there is absolutely nothing to lock a bike to. All I could see was a playground I could buy for only $599. I locked my bike to that, and by the time I got back out of that awful place, there was a mob of walmart security waiting for me. Apparently, what I did could be classified as vandalism. I said "Alright then, show me the damage." I get a bunch of uh's and hmm's, but then they shift the argument. "What if someone had bought this when your bike was attached to it?" I told them that I went to the ATM and that nobody could purchase and pack it faster than I could get my $60. They were already out of comebacks and told me "next time, just park it on a wall." Hmm, I'd love to park an $800 bike up against a wall in plain sight, surrounded by strangers with empty pick-up trucks.

I think I'll just bring it in and take my clothes off.

I call BS on the post. You must be blind, there are plenty of places to lock your bike at the average Wal Mart, as has been stated here by a number of people. There aren't mobs of security at Wal Marts, and the displayed playsets are exactly that, displays. They don't sell them assembled and someone would have to have a screw loose to buy one already assembled. The only way to get it home is disassembled. The package for those sets clearly states "Some Assembly Required". Of course, your post may be a poor attempt at some sort of sarcasm.

Last edited by grayloon; 07-23-08 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 11:54 PM
mondaycurse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayloon
I call BS on the post. You must be blind, there are plenty of places to lock your bike at the average Wal Mart, as has been stated here by a number of people. There aren't mobs of security at Wal Marts, and the displayed playsets are exactly that, displays. They don't sell them assembled and someone would have to have a screw loose to buy one already assembled. The only way to get it home is disassembled. The package for those sets clearly states "Some Assembly Required". Of course, your post may be a poor attempt at some sort of sarcasm.
The playground was a last-in-stock clearance item with a note saying "will disassemble," and it was actually the strip mall's in-house security force (wrong wording on my part) and it was more like 3. But in a small-town, 3 of anything is big business.

This walmart is essentially a fancy concrete warehouse with automatic doors. There are no objects nearby that are over 5 feet tall (easy to lift a bike lock over), lamp posts have concrete bases 3 feet high and wider than my armspan, and there are no handicapped signs, only painted lines on asphalt. Rereading my description, this place does sound like a myth that only exists in car-topia and I would call BS on a space so poorly designed too.
Old 07-24-08, 12:11 AM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has to be said: Hitler
Old 07-24-08, 12:44 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
My 1st time visiting the "commuter" forum (or whatever it's called) and I get this great story. Yeah, wish I had seen that in person. I've tried using logic with people who don't want to lose an argument (was married to one such person!, and worked for another) and it can be the ultimate frustration. These kinds of people just start making s--t up when they get cornered. I admire the lengths you went to, to crack through that thick-headed employee.

Been shopping at Walgreens (no, I'm not confusing them with WalMart) for 12 years, sometimes locking my bike to this tiny bit of exposed copper gas or water pipe near their front entrance, and sometimes wheeling it through the aisles as I shop. I asked them for bike racks for years. Well last time, I said screw it and even left my lock at home, ready to challenge any surly employees, and what the hell(!), they finally installed a rack - could hardly believe it.

Last edited by sunburst; 07-24-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 03:40 AM
!on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just stumbled, this site / topic came up. i LOL'd when i read it.

For Fook Sake - it is not appropriate to wheel your bike / wheelbarrow / horse / motorcycle in a shop no matter how big that store is & no matter if there is no provision outside for you to secure them to. what you want, a track day? an indoor go-karting session?

reading between the lines here i'm guessing someone wanted to pop to the shops in the most quick & efficient manner without locking up. doesn't work like that i'm afraid. really can't believe there are no trees, railings, lamp-posts or other secured street furniture near a big walmart or other big shop. is this a walmart bashing thread? can't lock it to something? that's YOUR fault, you didn't buy a lock that's long / strong enough (motorcycle locks are good for this).

if your a*se is twitching over security then, don't bring it!! it is your responsibility to secure your kit, not walmarts or anyone else's. in my town, thieves operate by watching people who've not secured various quick release items & phoning accomplices to come & remove said items. think people! take your front wheel out & lash it with 'rest of bike!! i'm sure shop staff won't mind you bringing your seat post in with you.

for god sake!
Old 07-24-08, 04:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
40. Family of four. Research scientist. Used to work at Kmart in high school.

Go ReachHigher!
That will no doubt balance out the likely college students and 22 year old cultural drop out pizza deliverers living in the basement cheering on the OP for Sticking it to the Man through bizarre play acting.
Old 07-24-08, 04:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by ricebowl
Wow, sounds like quite the nightmare... So what will impress the hot progressive chicks more, going on about why I no longer own a tv or why I hate walmart so much.
Some of them may even take their clothes off just to demonstrate solidarity with such "progressive" thought.
Old 07-24-08, 04:51 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That will no doubt balance out the likely college students and 22 year old cultural drop out pizza deliverers living in the basement cheering on the OP for Sticking it to the Man through bizarre play acting.
And here's hoping they don't lose their senses of humor as they grow older...
Old 07-24-08, 05:51 AM
545h4
Wait, what was I doing?

Bikes: '04 Haro Escape 8.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP - Thanks for making us laugh...

Gripers - get over it, and move on...
Old 07-24-08, 06:53 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
My 1st time visiting the "commuter" forum (or whatever it's called) and I get this great story. Yeah, wish I had seen that in person. I've tried using logic with people who don't want to lose an argument (was married to one such person!, and worked for another) and it can be the ultimate frustration. These kinds of people just start making s--t up when they get cornered. I admire the lengths you went to, to crack through that thick-headed employee.

Been shopping at Walgreens (no, I'm not confusing them with WalMart) for 12 years, sometimes locking my bike to this tiny bit of exposed copper gas or water pipe near their front entrance, and sometimes wheeling it through the aisles as I shop. I asked them for bike racks for years. Well last time, I said screw it and even left my lock at home, ready to challenge any surly employees, and what the hell(!), they finally installed a rack - could hardly believe it.
I stopped at a newer Walgreens on my way home this week, and noticed they had sturdy rods built into the outer walls at the right height for locking up bicycles. I'd never noticed them before, but then again I only go there when I need contact solution and that's not often.
Old 07-24-08, 06:59 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
38 years old. BA in History. I traveled more countries by land than most people. I speak 3 languages. I have a nice job that sometimes involves delivering stuff, but it costs anywhere 1,000 to 10,000 times more than a pizza.

I interact with customers every day.

I appreciate what the OP has done.
Old 07-24-08, 07:02 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Hey Midget! buy Shell Rotella T Synthetic in a 1 gal jug (blue) for half the price, and just as good 5W-40.
Old 07-24-08, 07:33 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SingingSabre
Reach, you're my hero(ine)!
Yeah, heroin. (Sorry, just got done watching "Rocky Horror Picture Show". )
Old 07-24-08, 07:59 AM
biggerilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awsome!

That is fantastic how you stood up to those creepy little *******s. I keep telling my relatives that Sprawlmart is the devil in disguise, but they keep on going. Meanwhile the central shopping area of town is shriveling up and blowing away.
To further prove my point check out walmartwatch.com and other similar sites to see just how nasty that company is.

Oh, did you get your CDR's eventually? That was the goal afterall right?
Glad you didn't get busted. Thanks for the story and good on ya.
cheers.
MT
Old 07-24-08, 08:01 AM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
240 replies and over 19K "views" in just two days, that has to be some kind of record.
alf
Old 07-24-08, 08:08 AM
biggerilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not the point.

The point of her thread was that she had a lock to secure her bike, but Walmart a HUGE retailer didn't have the decency and foresight to install a secure system for her to lock her bike to while she spent money in their store. Then, when she decided that the only safe way for her to do her shopping (without having her only mode of transportation stolen) was to bring it with her, making them all cranky and nasty. If that was a bicycle shop, she would have no problem bringing it in. The owners of those places understand the security risks of leaving your valued ride out of sight even for a few seconds.
Some of us humans choose not to drive gas guzzlers and actually improve our health by cycling virtually everywhere. I applaud her for her tenacity and for sticking to her guns.
Old 07-24-08, 08:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by old_alfie
240 replies and over 19K "views" in just two days, that has to be some kind of record.
alf
" Wal Mart is Evil so I took off my clothes"

Nudity and Walmart bashing seems to be a winning combination...

Old 07-24-08, 08:27 AM
taser
Supreme Commander of CATO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biggerilla
The point of her thread was that she had a lock to secure her bike, but Walmart a HUGE retailer didn't have the decency and foresight to install a secure system for her to lock her bike to while she spent money in their store. Then, when she decided that the only safe way for her to do her shopping (without having her only mode of transportation stolen) was to bring it with her, making them all cranky and nasty. If that was a bicycle shop, she would have no problem bringing it in. The owners of those places understand the security risks of leaving your valued ride out of sight even for a few seconds.
Some of us humans choose not to drive gas guzzlers and actually improve our health by cycling virtually everywhere. I applaud her for her tenacity and for sticking to her guns.
I thought the point was, she hates Wal-mart but was "forced" to go there and then created a scene when she didn't get her way. Then she comes here to rant about a situation that she started, looking for validation.

Honestly, if Wal-mart is evil, and she knew it before going there- yet still went- Why the heck should any of us feel for her? It's like she's standing there with a can of gasoline and then chooses to smoke a cigarette. Boom! Darwin candidate.

Stick to your convictions next time: stay away from Wal-mart if you think it's evil.
Old 07-24-08, 08:32 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Ok, song time...

If you don't wanna lock your bike up lose your shirt
If you don't wanna lock your bike up
Then on BF post a write up

If you're feuding with the greeter drop your shorts
If you're feuding with the greeter
Then you don't need panties either,

If they won't let you bring your bike in get undressed
If they won't let you bring your bike in get undressed
If they won't let you bring your bike in
Then just show 'em all of your skin,
If they won't let you bring your bike in get undressed!

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 07-24-08 at 08:39 PM. Reason: final polishing!
Old 07-24-08, 08:53 AM
Technojunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They didn't have a rack so you showed them yours?

I suppose there's logic in there somewhere but, seriously, there was a better chance of them calling the police about the crazy stripping lady (and you can bet they'd respond to THAT call quickly) than of you getting what you wanted. Better to shop elsewhere and borrow from friends if it's a last-minute thing and you can't get to a decent store. Leave dealing with the mentally challenged to professionals.
Old 07-24-08, 09:14 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Beccaree
I can't seem to escape crying babies no matter which store I'm in. I like 24 hour stores. I keep weird hours so I love to shop at night when the stores aren't so crowded. Sears is a good store. I love shopping there for non clothing items. Those sections are almost always empty. I don't buy meat at walmart or target either. They have terrible cuts of meat. I like to buy produce and meats at local markets too.
Exactly.

Although I do keep pretty regular hours. But I just can't see shopping where I don't find the quality and selection of what I am looking for. I saw a Walmart ad last night that focused on their Huggies and other baby supplies... perhaps that explains both the sheer number of crying babies and why their families go to Walmart... and yet another reason why I don't go there... no need for baby supplies. No one in my household is under 21. (and when the son is at college, we are all over 50). So I am probably well out of the Walmart demographic... thus I find the place easy to avoid.
Old 07-24-08, 09:24 AM
.Jared
n00b Extraordinaire

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP...Pics of you in spandes and Sports Bra please
Old 07-24-08, 09:45 AM
Thepurplem0nkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the point was employees made up policy on the spot that did not represent company policy, simply because the OP has a bicycle. I find it odd that people are so fixated on the store as opposed to the employees actions, even odder that people are so fixated on this imaginary requirement of locking a bike up when there is NO STORE POLICY that says we can't bring our bicycles into the shop in the same manner people roll karts, strollers, wheelchairs, electric scooters, walkers, and all manner of 2/4 wheeled devices; only two ignorant employees who appear to have something against cyclists. Why is it inappropriate to push a bicycle through a store? Why should an individual be expected to lock a bike up at a store that allows double sized carts, strollers, and obese people bigger than strollers AND extra large karts combined? Couldn't children fall out of their strollers, karts, or be eaten by one of these mega-obese creatures waddling the aisles, just as easily as <enter excuse for bicycle liability here>? How is it appropriate that two store employees singled out and applied a made up policy towards a cyclist, a policy NOT supported, mandated, or enforced by the company they work for? I don't see the OP as having a sense of elite entitlement, but rather a fair enforcement of company policy which, as mentioned, says nothing about leaving a bike outside. Had this been clearly posted and written within official company policy, then absolutely, the OP would be exhibiting a sense of entitlement. But this wasn't the case, was it? Although a bit over the top for some of us, the OP was standing up for herself and for cyclists by challenging two employees who were not enforcing a company policy but making up their own rules for their own motives.
-TPM
Old 07-24-08, 09:47 AM
oldbikeguy
Are we there yet?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspose if you shopped at Macy's or Safeway, they would welcome you in the store with your bike. NOT!
Old 07-24-08, 10:00 AM
taser
Supreme Commander of CATO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thepurplem0nkey
I thought the point was employees made up policy on the spot that did not represent company policy, simply because the OP has a bicycle. I find it odd that people are so fixated on the store as opposed to the employees actions, even odder that people are so fixated on this imaginary requirement of locking a bike up when there is NO STORE POLICY that says we can't bring our bicycles into the shop in the same manner people roll karts, strollers, wheelchairs, electric scooters, walkers, and all manner of 2/4 wheeled devices; only two ignorant employees who appear to have something against cyclists. Why is it inappropriate to push a bicycle through a store? Why should an individual be expected to lock a bike up at a store that allows double sized carts, strollers, and obese people bigger than strollers AND extra large karts combined? Couldn't children fall out of their strollers, karts, or be eaten by one of these mega-obese creatures waddling the aisles, just as easily as <enter excuse for bicycle liability here>? How is it appropriate that two store employees singled out and applied a made up policy towards a cyclist, a policy NOT supported, mandated, or enforced by the company they work for? I don't see the OP as having a sense of elite entitlement, but rather a fair enforcement of company policy which, as mentioned, says nothing about leaving a bike outside. Had this been clearly posted and written within official company policy, then absolutely, the OP would be exhibiting a sense of entitlement. But this wasn't the case, was it? Although a bit over the top for some of us, the OP was standing up for herself and for cyclists by challenging two employees who were not enforcing a company policy but making up their own rules for their own motives.
-TPM
It's private property. No policy is needed to address this particular matter. It is well within the judgment of the local manager to determine how to address this. Does Walmart need a written policy banning mopeds in the store? How about horses? Skateboards?

You may not agree with it, but there is no requirement for a policy to address every situation. Allowing bikes to be brought into the store is simply a judgment call.

Last edited by taser; 07-24-08 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.