Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Cycling Sunglasses necessary?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 11:38 AM
pat0115

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Quick Speed 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses? Do cycling sunglasses offer anything a good pair of regular sunglasses for not? Most of the cycling sunglasses I have seen look cheap and few are polarized. Using a pair of Bolle now
Old 10-15-15, 11:53 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you get right down to it, there's no real reason to buy any clothing or accessory like sunglasses that's specifically labeled for cycling. The litmus should be whether a specific product performs the desired function. If it does, buy it.

It's hard to get away from certain cycling specific items, such as bibs, standard cycling shorts, etc. But you don't have to wear jerseys when riding, don't have to buy a particular brand, etc. When you can save money, save it and use that money for things where the right product is more important.
Old 10-15-15, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the curved shape fits under bike hats worn under you helmet better, but it can be safety glasses too,

the corners of regular glasses can get the glasses pressed down on your nose.. by hats
Old 10-15-15, 11:56 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
When you get right down to it, there's no real reason to buy any clothing or accessory like sunglasses that's specifically labeled for cycling. The litmus should be whether a specific product performs the desired function. If it does, buy it.

It's hard to get away from certain cycling specific items, such as bibs, standard cycling shorts, etc. But you don't have to wear jerseys when riding, don't have to buy a particular brand, etc. When you can save money, save it and use that money for things where the right product is more important.
I like this answer. In fact since I've started I have been checking out TJMaxx and have found cycling shorts and some nice moisture wicking tops for next to nothing on the clearance rack.
Old 10-15-15, 12:02 PM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other "sports glasses" or even safety glasses can work fine- they need to block the wind, provide protection from flying objects, and have UV protection (unless they are clear for night riding). If you want cycling specific shades, then get them. I wear a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses when I ride. They have my prescription in them, are polarized and have full UV protection, keep the wind and foreign objects out of my eyes, and I think they look good too. But, they are not cycling specific. Otherwise, I couldn't use them for kayaking and other activities...
Old 10-15-15, 12:09 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat
I like this answer. In fact since I've started I have been checking out TJMaxx and have found cycling shorts and some nice moisture wicking tops for next to nothing on the clearance rack.
Tops are by far the easiest way for both men and women to save money. I do have some cycling jerseys, but rarely wear them. Most all of my riding is in Russell athletic shirts I got from Target years ago. Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
Old 10-15-15, 12:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
For a little perspective: once the vast majority of the roads raced on were paced, a lot of racing cyclists didn't wear glasses at all until rather recently. Look at the pre-helmet photos. After goggles were no longer needed for dirt roads, racers rode with no eye covering.

Yes, poor on the UV. Tiring, But the bike can be ridden just fine. I did all my racing with wire rim glass glasses, ala Laurent Fignon though I was before his time. (Glass is a pretty good UV block, unlike the untreated plastic lenses.) And now I wear prescription glasses and sunglasses, but not cycling specific. In fact, I wear glasses that have nearly rectangular and high outside corners so my helmet mirror is in a very good place, out of the way but completely in focus. (And I wear my helmet straps outside my helmet. Those glasses cost me enough that I don't want them being tossed off every time my helmet gets jarred. (Or I forget and just pull my helmet off.)

Ben
Old 10-15-15, 12:28 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by pat0115
If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses?
Functionally you are good to go, for posing at Starbucks not so much........

-Bandera
Old 10-15-15, 12:30 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
True story, although I did find a pair in my size for 20.00.
Old 10-15-15, 12:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Polarized lenses can make some computer displays difficult to read.
Old 10-15-15, 12:36 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have cycling sunglasses, but only because the ones I had before would slip off my face when I sweated. Funny how those 90+ F riding days seem so long ago.

If my old sunglasses stayed securely on my face regardless of sweat, I'd be wearing those instead.
Old 10-15-15, 12:53 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The top of my cycling glasses is higher than my normal glasses. That allows me to see better when riding in the drop or drop-like. With the other glasses, I have to bend my neck a bit more and that's something I can't do very long.
Old 10-15-15, 02:57 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cycling glasses are nice and offer some added benefits here and there but you can wear or not wear any glasses you'd like.

Old 10-15-15, 03:13 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Are cycling glasses necessary? No, but as others have said they are nice. They're shaped in a way that prevents wind in the eyes and they stay snug to your head so they don't fall off.

Tops are by far the easiest way for both men and women to save money. I do have some cycling jerseys, but rarely wear them. Most all of my riding is in Russell athletic shirts I got from Target years ago. Shorts can be tricky because sizing and fit can vary between brands and you'll notice the lack of a comfortable fit in your shorts.
Where do you put your stuff if you don't have a cycling jersey on?
Old 10-15-15, 03:55 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Where do you put your stuff if you don't have a cycling jersey on?
In the mailbox hanging from the saddle.

Old 10-15-15, 04:15 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Are cycling glasses necessary? No, but as others have said they are nice. They're shaped in a way that prevents wind in the eyes and they stay snug to your head so they don't fall off.
Excellent answer! I used to not wear glasses at all. Then I started with regular prescription glasses for better vision. I found myself squinting in bright sunlight that gets tiring on long rides. Then there's the wind on steep descents that makes my eyes tear up do I can't see. While regular sunglasses help with sun glare, they aren't that good for blocking out wind.

If you ride slow and short, you may not need them. With increased speeds and distance, the more important they become.
Old 10-15-15, 04:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
No, cycling sunglasses are not necessary.

I've been cycling seriously for 25 years and have covered a lot of distance and have rarely worn sunglasses of any sort.

Sometimes I think they might be nice, but my prescription means that if I got some, they would be hugely expensive. So I don't bother.
Old 10-15-15, 04:24 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by pat0115
If I have a good pair of polarized sunglasses that look good and feel comfortable when I ride, is there a need to buy glasses labeled as cycling sunglasses?
IMO, if the glasses are designed well for the lighting conditions, the wind/environmental conditions and they're comfortable for the intended use, then they're perfect.

Have had the Oakley "M" frame wrap-arounds for years, with the polarized lenses. Keeps nearly all the blowing dust and air away from the eyes, has fairly good seal at the eyebrows (to keep the light out), and the polarized lenses are wonderful. Wouldn't want any other type of sunglasses for outdoors use where wind/dust is involved, actually, short of going to full goggles or mountaineer-style.

Can't imagine what having a "cycling" label on them would change, assuming those factors get met.
Old 10-15-15, 04:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I think the key question is whether whatever glasses you want to wear are impact resistant/safety. ie.. glass lensed glasses probably aren't a great idea.
Old 10-16-15, 12:58 PM
AverageJoe2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never owned a pair of "cycling" sunglasses in my life. I like ANSI certified safety glasses and have a few different pair in different tints. All are polycarbonate lenses with UVA/B protection. I've got clear, yellow, dark amber and dark smoke for various conditions. No Oakley or Tifosi here. I've got Remington, Dewalt, and Stanley.

Old 10-16-15, 02:21 PM
hoodat

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat
True story, although I did find a pair in my size for 20.00.
Made in China shorts are usually undersize. I buy them one size larger than I do in regular clothing.
Old 10-16-15, 02:57 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use "Remington" shooting glasses:
(https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Shoo...0_SR160%2C160_

They are cheap and fit well.

Joe
Old 10-16-15, 06:05 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AverageJoe2.0
I've never owned a pair of "cycling" sunglasses in my life. I like ANSI certified safety glasses and have a few different pair in different tints. All are polycarbonate lenses with UVA/B protection. I've got clear, yellow, dark amber and dark smoke for various conditions. No Oakley or Tifosi here. I've got Remington, Dewalt, and Stanley.
x2 on the DeWalt safety glasses. My home workshop glasses be why I decided to try them for bike riding. Work great and I haven't yet been snubbed by the Starbucks crowd neither.

Last edited by ltxi; 10-16-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 07:08 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Can't imagine what having a "cycling" label on them would change, assuming those factors get met.
The Oakley's meant for cycling have a straight stem, whatever that means. So their cycling ones are actually different - it is not just a label. If I recall when I was shopping for glasses my Oakleys or maybe it was the other pair I was looking at were available with the straight stem for cycling but I wasn't into bike yet at that point and I just went with the normal version. I got the Racing Jacket and love em. Aside from the super cheap bin of terrible looking frames at the eye doctor, the Oakleys were really no more expensive than most of the other frames (most of them being >$200 and much more than the Oakleys actually). So the tables are turned when we are talking prescription glasses. And my health insurance paid a good chunk of them since they are prescription, and my tax free health savings account paid the rest.

To the OP... "necessary" is probably a poor choice of words. Probably 90% of cyclists don't wear cycling sunglasses so how could they be necessary?

Last edited by T Stew; 10-16-15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 08:01 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
The Oakley's meant for cycling have a straight stem, whatever that means. So their cycling ones are actually different - it is not just a label. If I recall when I was shopping for glasses my Oakleys or maybe it was the other pair I was looking at were available with the straight stem for cycling but I wasn't into bike yet at that point and I just went with the normal version. I got the Racing Jacket and love em. Aside from the super cheap bin of terrible looking frames at the eye doctor, the Oakleys were really no more expensive than most of the other frames (most of them being >$200 and much more than the Oakleys actually). So the tables are turned when we are talking prescription glasses. And my health insurance paid a good chunk of them since they are prescription, and my tax free health savings account paid the rest.

To the OP... "necessary" is probably a poor choice of words. Probably 90% of cyclists don't wear cycling sunglasses so how could they be necessary?
Most cyclists around here wear protective glasses. The casual riders I meet daily on the MUPs, not so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.