Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panniers?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 03:30 PM
dlittledlite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers?

Come now, I can't afford even half a big one ($100) and the paniers I see cost anywhere from 20 on up. I have trouble affording the expensive ones, however, I have trouble being cheap because I'm afraid I will get what I pay for. Anyone out there have advice on a fair price good quality pannier? Keep in mind you should have experience using it as well or I probably wont take your advice. TIA to anyone who can direct me in.. well, any direction.
Old 06-23-08, 03:36 PM
ews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If cost is really an issue, the number of threads by people using milkcrates as panniers is easily into triple digits.
Old 06-23-08, 03:43 PM
rilles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pannier by Voyager, $40 at the local bike shop. It is very simple in design, just one storage area and a side pocket. One side for work stuff, the other side for rain gear/bike tools.
Old 06-23-08, 04:02 PM
UncleStu

Bikes: Trek SU200, old Wards Hawthorne 3-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes Nashbar puts their ATB panniers on sale cheap- I got a set last month for $20 the *pair*- plus shipping & tax of course(add tax & their share of the shipping, call it ~$26 delivered for the panniers.)They seem to be out of stock now, but if you're not in a hurry keep checking on them. They do have their "Townie Basket" panniers at ~$20 *each*. Or you could check on Ebay, Amazon, & all the other bike places. Good luck.
Old 06-23-08, 04:24 PM
pwyll99

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi 1885 Veloce, 2003 Specialized Rockhopper, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, 2006 Electra Ratrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a decent pair from performance for $60, forget the model. Good size and expandable. Even came with rain covers. Usually Performance branded gear is ok and does the job well enough.
Old 06-23-08, 04:33 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleStu
Sometimes Nashbar puts their ATB panniers on sale cheap- I got a set last month for $20 the *pair*- plus shipping & tax of course(add tax & their share of the shipping, call it ~$26 delivered for the panniers.)They seem to be out of stock now, but if you're not in a hurry keep checking on them. They do have their "Townie Basket" panniers at ~$20 *each*. Or you could check on Ebay, Amazon, & all the other bike places. Good luck.
+1 on the Nashbars. Mine have the hi viz top flap. They are perfect for my commute and I ditched the backpack for summer. No more sweaty back and in the cool mornings my jacket can vent like its supposed to.
Old 06-23-08, 04:38 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=236014
^^^
I home cobbled a set of camera bag/lap top/messenger bag/panniers.

Use as set of Arkel or Ortlieb replacement parts and attach them to what every kind of bag you have or like.
Tip: If your bag is soft sided, use a piece of plastic sheet on the inside of the bag to stiffen it. It will make the bag easier to load, and more importantly keep it out of your spokes.

You will have to spend aoubt $20USD for the Arkel or Ortlieb replacement parts. They are well worth the money, as they are some of the best pannier attachment systems designed. Of the two I prefer the Ortlieb.
Old 06-23-08, 04:48 PM
misterE0

Bikes: Steelman road bike, '81 Schwinn Le Tour single speed,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
+1 on the Nashbars. Mine have the hi viz top flap. They are perfect for my commute and I ditched the backpack for summer. No more sweaty back and in the cool mornings my jacket can vent like its supposed to.
+1 on the Nashbar ATB panniers. I got mine for under $20 and they are perfect really. They have a nice variety of pockets and are still fairly compact, while still holding plenty of gear. Also, they work well on most generic racks. The Axiom bags I have don't play well with non-Axiom racks (cord length way too long).
Old 06-23-08, 04:59 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Laundry detergent or kitty litter buckets work very well and basically, free. 1 inch aluminum angle provides support on the rack. A ball bungee looped around the handle and dropout eyelet keeps it from bouncing around. A #8 "U" nut with a #8 eyelet screwed into the "U" nut keeps the bucket from bouncing off. Here are photos so you know how to make them.

Old 06-23-08, 05:23 PM
novas

Bikes: marin larkspur, gary fisher tassajara, Cannondale CAAD9, and RIP to my old steel clunker miyata road bike from the 80s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleStu
i agree. +(yet another) 1 for the nashbar ones.
Old 06-23-08, 05:27 PM
slowjoe66

Bikes: Route-x bent, GT Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a great pair out of some hardware, bungee, a couple of strips of aluminum and two old Army/Navy surplus rucksacks for less than 30 bucks for the pair. They are either waterproof or damn near; they are made from a rubberized canvas. They are tough as hell. No problems with them in over two years of commuting and being stored outside all day in the sun while at work. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Do some searches. I found everything I need explained somewhere on the net. Mine look a lot like this:

https://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/HeavyDutyRacks.htm

Last edited by slowjoe66; 06-23-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 06:58 PM
nemo
Where did whooooo go

Bikes: trek 7100, 70's schwinn free spirit.{building into the second commuter}

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Laundry detergent or kitty litter buckets work very well and basically, free. 1 inch aluminum angle provides support on the rack. A ball bungee looped around the handle and dropout eyelet keeps it from bouncing around. A #8 "U" nut with a #8 eyelet screwed into the "U" nut keeps the bucket from bouncing off. Here are photos so you know how to make them.

those are so cool! i am working on a set now
Old 06-23-08, 07:07 PM
sparky221

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a set of kitty litter bucket panniers. Light rain was no problem and the dirt wipes right off of them. I haven't had the opportunity to use them in hard rain yet. I used rope cleats and hardware bought at Ace hardware, total cost was less than $10 for both, including bungees & a couple of reflectors. I made them one night while watching the news. Total time is about 20 minutes for the first bucket and less than 15 minutes for the second. On a nice day, I used one for my long ride to carry extra water, jacket, snacks, lock, tools, and spare tube. I had lots of room to spare.

They are a little noisy since things rattle around in them. I haven't had one even come close to popping off and I've taken them over some really rough unpaved roads. I did lose a lid on afternoon, so I'll look at a way to tether the lids on.

I have a cat, so I pretty much have a replenishing supply of buckets.
Old 06-23-08, 08:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have been using Delta Compact panniers for several years. Not too big, not too small. Adequate for my commuting needs. Needed a little work by my wife and her sewing machine to make the carry handles functional.
Old 06-23-08, 08:47 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you using your panniers only for commuting or also for long self-contained tours? Is it just to carry your lunch and other basic stuff (rain gear, repair kit...) or do you want to carry one week worth of groceries (i.e. heavy stuff) in them?

Any special requirements, such as carrying a computer, travelling long distances, carrying oversize documents, etc.?

Do you need to park outside yet get your pannier(s) inside daily, which means some kind of quick release would be welcome?

For the cheapest yet good stuff, I would suggest you look at housebrands from MEC (Canada) or REI (U.S.).
Old 06-24-08, 09:44 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Arkel T-42 panniers to commute with. I think that they cost me about $100, and I have used them on approx 700 commutes (my commute is 15 miles each way), They are as serviceable today as they were when I bought them, but if they were trashed today and I had to replace them, my cost would come out to less than 15 cents per commute, which I don't think of as excessive.
Old 06-24-08, 09:53 AM
steppinthefunk 
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here is my post from the "DIY Panniers" thread:

Sling bag from Army Surplus Store. Cost about $15.00 I think.

Willie and Max motorcycle panniers. $65.00

Old 06-24-08, 11:19 AM
cachehiker
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use one pair of Delta Compact (15 liter) Panniers and a small trunk bag (6 liter) on my foul weather commuter.

I have a pair of Nashbar Daytrekkers (12 liter?) and a simple burrito style tool wrap (1 liter?) on my fair weather commuter.

I think both combinations do their jobs admirably.

Last edited by cachehiker; 06-24-08 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 12:08 PM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axiom makes some great stuff. I have two Lasalle panniers. They are big but I use them for groceries also. Their racks are great too. Check ebay for the best prices.
Old 06-24-08, 04:06 PM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't mind looking Xxxxxxxish or Xxxxxxxxxian (insert whatever ethnic you'd like to joke about) then by all means use milk crates or cat-litter buckets. If you truly are cheap but don't want to appear cheap, save the amount of money you're willing to spend in a single pay period a couple or few pay periods in a row till you manage to save up what a decent set will cost and then buy em.

Personally I like and own two sets offered in the SUNLITE (or somesuch brand line) brand imported by J&B Imports. One set is two seperate bags that sell as a set and hang on a rear rack, the other is two bags joined across the top.
alf