Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Wal Mart is Evil so I took off my clothes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 01:04 PM
ReachHigher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I generally choose not to patronize walmart for several moral reasons...but today I was in desperate need of some CD-Rs so I could mail a file to my university and the only place anywhere near me that sells them is Wally world. So I grudgingly got on my bike and made the 4 mile ride on some pretty dangerous roads only to find that they have no form of bike rack whatsoever. That's typical for this area so I've become used to just taking my bike into stores...in fact I usually use the basket on the back as a shopping cart.

So I walk into the walmart and the most evil grandmother I've ever met grabs my arm with her claws and says I can't bring it into the store. I explained to here there was nowhere outside to lock it up and that I had brought it into that particular store with no problem. She insisted that I had to leave it in the foyer and I calmly said that I wasn't going to leave a 600 dollar bike just sitting in the foyer and that I'd like to speak to her manager.

So the manager comes out and says I can't bring the bike into the store, so I explain to her that there are safe places for people who drive to lock their cars but there is no safe place for me to lock my mode of transportation. She says that I should have driven there I told her that I didn't own a car and that my bike was my only form of transportation and I couldn't risk having it stolen. She said I couldn't bring it in because they sell bikes in the store. So I said but those bikes don't look anything like this and this is clearly not a brand new bike, so why is that a problem. She insisted that for the safety of the other customers I couldn't bring it inside, so I asked her why she thought a bike controlled by an adult was more dangerous than a shopping cart being pushed around by someone's bratty kids. So she switched back to the excuse that they sell bikes in the store so I couldn't bring another bicycle in. I was starting to get really frustrated since I had ridden all the way there seemingly for no reason, so I asked her if they also sold shirts in the store. She said yes so I took off my jersey and said well then I'd better not bring this in either. She got kind of flustered and said that it was a different situation but couldn't explain why. So I said that if they also sold shorts in the store that I'd better not wear those in either and I took off my shorts. Same goes for the shoes and sunglasses. Now I'm standing there in my spandex and a sports bra and I ask here if I can leave my things behind the customer service counter where they will be safe until I finish making my purchases and she said that I couldn't come into the store without shoes on, to which i responded "but I certainly can't wear shoes into the store because you sell those here and someone might think I've stolen them." She threatened to call security if I didn't leave so I told her that I would never be coming back to that store again and that I was glad I hadn't driven there since the gas to go four miles was probably more expensive than what her underpaid employees make in an hour.

Her expression when the shirt came off was absolutely priceless...I was pretty tempted to take off the spandex too but I wasn't sure what constitutes indecent exposure in Virginia so I figured I'd err on the side of caution. Still I had a decent sized crowd gathered before the end of the discussion. Anybody else have issues with Satan's superstore?
Old 07-22-08, 01:08 PM
bizzz111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you must be a glutton for punishment if you thought bringing logic into your walmart argument was going to work.
Old 07-22-08, 01:08 PM
Shinyville
Semantic Gynmast

Bikes: Electra Townie 8 700c, Breezer Freedom, miyata 615

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is an absolutely phenomenal story! You rock.
Old 07-22-08, 01:13 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. Personally, I'd have tried to see if I could have had someone watch over it in the foyer. That, or ridden away.
Old 07-22-08, 01:13 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Reach. I love your spunk. You are my Bike Forum idol. Glad you kept your cool and did not get arrested. .Its not worth that. Its to America's shame, last I knew one in every seven consumer dollars passes thru WalMart. / To expect Wal Mart to be bike friendly. that is way too optimistic to think to be possible.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 07-22-08, 01:14 PM
ReachHigher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea I forgot that I was arguing with people who drive to a job that makes $5.75 an hour when gas costs $4.22 a gallon. Logic clearly isn't these people's strong suit.
Old 07-22-08, 01:15 PM
iPirate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen?
Old 07-22-08, 01:15 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, better to keep the lycra on. People have been labeled as sex offenders simply for urinating in
public (indecent exposure). You do NOT want to wind up on that kind of list!

(And no I'm not speaking from experience!)
Old 07-22-08, 01:16 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinyville
That is an absolutely phenomenal story! You rock.
I would have loved to have have seen this, even if posting this on the internet will make me look like a pervert to some.

Many years ago I was in a family owned hardware store. I was about 18 at the time and needed some tool to work on my car, and I wasn't quite sure what i needed. The owner told me to take whatever I was looking at home and see if it would work for me. I thought he was kidding, and then he told me I could leave my pants behind for a security deposit. After I got done being flustered he told me he was kidding about leaving my pants, but to go ahead and take the tool home. I bought a lot of stuff from them after that - and never had to leave my pants behind either.
Old 07-22-08, 01:17 PM
ReachHigher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if only I could get a copy of that security tape...I'm sure some security guard in the back was having himself a pretty good laugh...especially since he couldn't hear my reasoning...
Old 07-22-08, 01:19 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
The lesson here. something I believe in. Try to buy small and local when ever possible. Normally , you are treated as a person and service can't compare when the owner apprecaites one's business.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Thepurplem0nkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, great story! Personally, I would have flipped if I was grabbed on the arm...NO ONE touches me except my fiance' or a law officer. I would have ripped my arm away and screamed "DON"T <explitive> TOUCH ME". I've done that once in the past and the rent-a-cop jumped 5 feet in the air and nearly wet himself. I ALWAYS bring my bike into stores and I have never been hasstled. One person DID try to stop me at the Walmart once (I too despise Walmart but I also have to go there on occasion) but I just ignored the person and kept walking like I owned the place; that's always worked for me.
As for selling your bike at the store...give me a break. Like Walmart sells quality bikes. The only "name brand" bike they sell are Schwins, but I'm not sure their craptastic method of putting them together even qualifies it as a street legal bike in the first place. You aught to have told them "Don't worry, no one will mistake your **** bikes for my LBS bike" ;-)

-TPM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReachHigher
yea I forgot that I was arguing with people who drive to a job that makes $5.75 an hour when gas costs $4.22 a gallon. Logic clearly isn't these people's strong suit.
Nice Story, made me laugh.

Personally, I have hauled my bike around my local Walmart with no problem. I have also left it hidden in the foyer under the care of a nice older person. Usually, the older person working in the foyer is more than willing to accomodate if treated with respect and dignity; which I try to give to everyone, wether or not they work at walmart.

Logic, however, is never going to work with someone defending a policy they know nothing about and who is likely a concrete thinker in the first place.
Old 07-22-08, 01:20 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Great story.

I had just the opposite reaction at a local Wal-Mart, yet for the exact same reason...

Me: "Hi, I don't have a lock, can I bring my bike with me?"
Greeter: "We sell bikes here. Heck, kids tear around the store on the ones for sale, without buying them. I don't see a problem."
=)
Old 07-22-08, 01:22 PM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work! I like your cunning use of logic and its deadly effect on their argument.

There is only 1 thing that I buy at Walmart-motor oil (ironic, saying that on a bike forum), but it is because they have Mobil 1 -synthetic oil, which I use in my cars, mower, equipment, etc, CHEAP.

I go once a year and stock up.

Usually, I will go there one other time per year if every other place does not have what I am looking for, and I don't get past 1/2 way into the store before I am fit to be tied, and turn around and leave.

The problem is not with These stores, but rather with the fact that so many people frequent them.
Old 07-22-08, 01:24 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thepurplem0nkey
One person DID try to stop me at the Walmart once ....... but I just ignored the person and kept walking like I owned the place; that's always worked for me.
-TPM
Hmmmm, interesting......that puts the person in the position of having to decide whether or not to escalate the issue.

I can see many situations wherein that would work......and many where it would not. For instance, if the person was sent by his/her boss, they are at least going to report that you defied their authority. Then the manager has to decide whether or not to escalate. Either way, I like the approach.

I suppose you could also start muttering. Muttering to oneself is a wonderful way to get people to give you space
Old 07-22-08, 01:24 PM
Japhy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. Please don't go to a WM again - ANYBODY!
Old 07-22-08, 01:28 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I made less than $6/hr, there is no way I would voluntarily make an issue of ANYTHING. I would just lay low, do the bare minimum and waite for my shift to be over so that I could get my butt to school.

Granted, some folks just don't have the same options in life that others do; and that is tragic.
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMAO!

That security video should hit the internet soon ...

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he he. Classic. I love it!
Old 07-22-08, 01:37 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You rock!
Old 07-22-08, 01:42 PM
HuffyMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I walk into the walmart and the most evil grandmother I've ever met grabs my arm with her claws and says I can't bring it into the store.

Love that statement.
At least she wasn't astride a hoveround or some other type of obese person conveyence then the race would be on!
Old 07-22-08, 01:43 PM
The Figment
The Wheel is Turning

Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride to Walmart on a hot Day.........A pain un the Arse,
Arguing with a Human with no Common Sense......................Aggravating to all Hell
Watching the look on some a Walmart Managers Face as a Pissed off Woman Bicyclist does a Strip in the store foyer......................PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-08, 01:47 PM
DeusExa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I had a sister like you!! Awesome!
Old 07-22-08, 01:48 PM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*clapping*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.