Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Adding front Brakes on a bike that has coaster brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-26-19, 02:16 PM
Karen008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
Is it possible to add front brakes onto a Vilano Urbano one speed bicycle.

Im so use to brakes and not use to peddling backwards to stop. If so which ones should I get from Amazon and what length cable wire.

Thanks
Old 11-26-19, 02:37 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I recommend you just wheel it into a good local bike shop and ask them. That will save you a lot of headaches with possibly getting a mismatched part and having to send it back. A good front rim brake won't cost a lot and for a few extra bucks they'll install it for you.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-26-19, 02:42 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I recommend you just wheel it into a good local bike shop and ask them. That will save you a lot of headaches with possibly getting a mismatched part and having to send it back. A good front rim brake won't cost a lot and for a few extra bucks they'll install it for you.
If the bike shop sells her a brake, cable and lever I’d be surprised if they charged extra for installation. The main question would be if they had a caliper f the right size in stock.
Old 11-26-19, 02:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I tried a Google search of this bike and could only find very poor photos of it. No detail that could help you with your question. Amazon is not going to be able to help you with this. They will not be able to tell you if a certain front brake will fit your bike, or how to install it. Cable wires are cut to length by a bike shop mechanic. They don't come pre cut for your convenience.
Old 11-26-19, 02:53 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Leinster
If the bike shop sells her a brake, cable and lever I’d be surprised if they charged extra for installation. The main question would be if they had a caliper f the right size in stock.
For any bike shop to sell any component like that without charging extra for installation, their price would have to be exorbitant.. It isn't like installing an accessory like a basket or a bell or mudguards. It is about installing a major safety device that may or not fit properly.
Old 11-26-19, 02:53 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
https://www.foldingbikeguy.com/vilan...g-bike-review/

Some pics at the link above.

Looks like a typical brake mounting hole in the fork. Perhaps a brake made for 20" kids BMX bikes would bolt right up?
Old 11-26-19, 03:01 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by FiftySix
https://www.foldingbikeguy.com/vilan...g-bike-review/

Some pics at the link above.

Looks like a typical brake mounting hole in the fork. Perhaps a brake made for 20" kids BMX bikes would bolt right up?
I saw that photo as well. Are you willing to help the OP out when that brake doesn't "bolt right up"? Long reach single pivot calliper brakes can be very finicky to set up. they almost always don't just bolt on
Old 11-26-19, 03:02 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
You can almost definitely install a front brake on that bike, as you could on almost any other bike. What type of brake and how to hook it up is another problem into which I have no insight as I am not familiar with the bike.

Some problems you may encounter are: The brake cable might get kinked or damaged when you fold up the bike, and the rim of the front wheel may not have ideal surfaces for a brake to contact.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 11-26-19, 03:11 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I saw that photo as well. Are you willing to help the OP out when that brake doesn't "bolt right up"? Long reach single pivot calliper brakes can be very finicky to set up. they almost always don't just bolt on
Apparently I should have bolded Perhaps and the ?. Throwing out an idea sure beats the hell out of pessimism.

$18.00 for a bmx brake kit on A'zon may or may not be worth the effort to the OP. Not my call to make, but she/he did post the question.

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-26-19 at 03:20 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-26-19, 03:56 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
snip

Some problems you may encounter are: The brake cable might get kinked or damaged when you fold up the bike, and the rim of the front wheel may not have ideal surfaces for a brake to contact.
At Vilano's website you can see several models of folders and some have rim brakes. I assume they use the same style of rims, so brake pad contact surfaces should not be an issue.

As to cable damage, that doesn't seem to be an issue on their other folders either. The possible problem would be measuring the cable housing. Assuming the bike is going to be folded, first extend the handlebar stem to its maximum height and take a housing measurement. Then fold the front end and measure again to make sure the bend doesn't require extra length. Looking at their other models, I doubt it would, but measure for that anyway to be sure. If the bike shop doesn't have a suitable brake in stock, just have them order it.

If you want to install the brake yourself, there are lots of YouTube vids showing you how; I especially liked the Park Tools video. It shows how to install and adjust the pads. You'd do well to check those out anyway so you can do your own maintenance.
Old 11-27-19, 03:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
At Vilano's website you can see several models of folders and some have rim brakes. I assume they use the same style of rims, so brake pad contact surfaces should not be an issue.
Not sure why you'd assume that since large-brand manufacturers rarely use the same rim across their line-ups. In fact, that rim doesn't look like it has a dedicated brake surface.
Old 11-27-19, 03:12 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Not sure why you'd assume that since large-brand manufacturers rarely use the same rim across their line-ups. In fact, that rim doesn't look like it has a dedicated brake surface.
Looks like a smaller black version of the same rims on my last Schwinn cruiser, my wife's Schwinn cruiser, and my current Schwinn Willy. The first two had/have v-brakes, the Willy has a double pivot caliper front brake with rear coaster brake.

https://www.bikefolded.com/wp-conten...ing-bike-8.jpg

from https://www.bikefolded.com/vilano-ur...g-bike-review/

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-27-19 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Willy link with rims
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-27-19, 09:18 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I assume they would use the same rim--wherever possible--because it simplifies the supply chain and thus lowers their cost by leveraging economies of scale. That becomes more important when they're selling a bike that retails for $200.
Likes For rollagain: